Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mastershakeman posted:

How the gently caress did Groce get a vote of confidence
Very allegedly (and frankly, I think it is bullshit fed to media types by people close to Groce to try to keep his job), there were some 2017 kids (Da'Monte Williams, Tillmon, maybe Goodwin) who wanted to commit but were scared off by uncertainty about Groce's future. So our AD gave the vote of confidence to help recruiting. He in fact said the vote of confidence was to help recruiting in some radio interview.

My only conclusion is that 16-17 year old kids are idiots, because even if he gets a vote of confidence for one more year, he will still be fired before you arrive on campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is there a chance he could be fired for cause? At some point the coach will have to answer for half the team getting arrested, even if he doesn't have a whole lot of control over it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is there a chance he could be fired for cause? At some point the coach will have to answer for half the team getting arrested, even if he doesn't have a whole lot of control over it.
Looking at his contract, I don't think so - http://www.news-gazette.com/sites/all/files/pdf/2014/07/07/Groce.pdf

The "for cause" grounds all seem to be limited to his personal actions. Best case scenario is that he sees that writing on the wall and leaves voluntarily. Did Alford do that at Iowa?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Nice job conspiring to keep Baylor outta the tourney committee, let me count the ways:

1. 5 seed. Instant loss.
2. 18,000miles from Baylor despite being the higher seed. INstant loss.
3. 1.2 miles away from Yale campus in their home stadium. Instant loss.
4. vs an ivy league. Instant loss
5. weird scandal going on which means Yale will win due to weird scandal karma. Instant loss

Also, now Holy Cross will win since it'll make me mad sine my team would've easily won the entire tourney if that was the case(abylor best team ever)

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Looks like the Pac 12 has taken the lead over Big 10 for most overrated conference. Somebody let Bill Walton know.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

techno allah posted:

Looks like the Pac 12 has taken the lead over Big 10 for most overrated conference. Somebody let Bill Walton know.

Someone at work told me that Pitt/Wisconsin was going to be a "fun" game. I told them then they were wrong and I will tell them on Monday that they were wrong.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Big Ten is a bunch of goobers getting roasted in the NCAA tournament, how embarrassing for them. The only way to win is not to play.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

Looking at his contract, I don't think so - http://www.news-gazette.com/sites/all/files/pdf/2014/07/07/Groce.pdf

The "for cause" grounds all seem to be limited to his personal actions. Best case scenario is that he sees that writing on the wall and leaves voluntarily. Did Alford do that at Iowa?

He did! He was going to get fired the next year if he didn't make the tournament and the team was garbage so he peaced out for New Mexico. It was very exciting for a few months and then Lickliter happened.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The state of Iowa is 3-0 so far, and I think has the most wins of any state.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Indiana has 3: Butler, Indiana, and Notre Dame.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kansas has 3

Kansas, wsu x2

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no team from illinois has lost a tournament game yet

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The ACC has only lost one team despite everyone other than UNC, Virginia, and occasionally Miami being poo poo.

I don't say this out of some sense of conference pride, all of them other than Virginia can gently caress off out of the tournament already.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Metapod posted:

Kansas has 3

Kansas, wsu x2

Indiana has three (Indiana/Notre Dame/Butler)

e - goddammit

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

me, me, me, me

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

California is 0-4

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Round of 32 by state

3 - Indiana (Indiana/Butler/Notre Dame)
Iowa (Iowa/Iowa State/Northern Iowa)

2 - New York (Syracuse/St. Joseph's)
North Carolina (UNC/Duke)
Kansas (Kansas/Wichita St)
Texas (Texas A&M/Stephen F. Austin)
Virginia (Virginia/VCU)
Connecticut (UConn/Yale)

1- Maryland
Hawai'i
Florida (Miami)
Pennsylvania (Villanova)
Oregon
Rhode Island (Providence)
Kentucky
Wisconsin
Ohio (Xavier)
Oklahoma
Arkansas (Little Rock)
Washington (Gonzaga)
Utah
Tennessee (MTSU)

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

C. Everett Koop posted:

Round of 32 by state
2 - New York (Syracuse/St. Joseph's)
Pennsylvania (Villanova)
St. Joseph's is in Philly, like Nova.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

SpiritualDeath posted:

St. Joseph's is in Philly, like Nova.

I can't tell the difference between Sts. John and Joe.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://m.soundcloud.com/105-1-vza/rima-uni-buzzer-beater-vs-texasmp3

UNI radio call owns

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Man, I knew the Rima call would own, he's such an amazing homer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's so annoying that Iowa has the worst play by play guy in the state by a mile

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Radio calls are the best thing in sports.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
I just got back from a week in New Orleans drinking but I think I'll have to start again after that.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Opposite angle vine is pretty great too: http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/3/19/11267450/northern-iowa-stuns-texas-with-halfcourt-game-winning-buzzer-beater

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

I can't tell the difference between Sts. John and Joe.

St John's produced the crazy man who attacked fans, almost killed James Harden and changed his name to World Peace. St Joe's produced the crazy man who got in a motorcycle chase while carrying firearms in a guitar case and may have hosed LeBron's mom.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm sorry Longhorns i wanted to play you :(

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/kristenerodgers/status/711059537298481152

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

St John's produced the crazy man who attacked fans, almost killed James Harden and changed his name to World Peace. St Joe's produced the crazy man who got in a motorcycle chase while carrying firearms in a guitar case and may have hosed LeBron's mom.

Delonte West totally hosed lebrons mom

All aboard the St Joe train :2bong:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/711213359190908929

Stony Brook's gonna regress :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I think that was gonna happen anyway without Warney

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Oh well, there's always next year and another all-star recruiting class to look forward to. Hopefully Ulis sticks around, he's a lot of fun to watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Didn't Cal already say Ulis is going pro? Now is probably the best time anyway

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MourningView posted:

Didn't Cal already say Ulis is going pro? Now is probably the best time anyway

He back tracked a bit and said it was Tyler's decision. But yeah, Ulis is gone.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Indiana fans I saw at the bars last night were something to behold. They really don't like UK, I half expected One Shining Moment to start playing.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
At least making the sweet 16 is actually more meaningful than a regular season 3 pointer.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

vikingstrike posted:

At least making the sweet 16 is actually more meaningful than a regular season 3 pointer.

A sweet 16 guarantees Indiana rings, right?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Celebrating things owns and should be done more often

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Making a t-shirt to celebrate things owns. Forging your own rings for Sweet-16 runs, however, is pretty weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Celebrating with rings is a crime obnoxious enough to end a rivalry series, it's true.

• Locked thread