Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cojawfee posted:

He was in Past Tense and Now Museum Now you Don't. In Past Tense, he says he became a Jehovah's Witness so that's probably why he only shows up when specifically asked or for reunion things like Spider Skull Island. He probably doesn't want to associate with Team Venture anymore.

But he's also not in flashbacks often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've noticed that too. Maybe Doc and Jackson just don't like using him as a character. He is kind of lame and his only purpose seems to be pulling off whatever part of the plan involves water.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I've noticed that too. Maybe Doc and Jackson just don't like using him as a character. He is kind of lame and his only purpose seems to be pulling off whatever part of the plan involves water.

Well, he was the Aquaman, after all. Those kinds of powers are 100% totally useful... about... oh, 7%of the time.

Many of the flashbacks feature different characters. The way I see it, Team Venture was a large ensemble, but on any given mission, you could probably only count on 4-5 of the 10-or-so in the team to be present.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Cojawfee posted:

In Past Tense, he says he became a Jehovah's Witness.
I wonder why he's a Jehova's Witness when the joke should be that he's a Merman-Mormon.

Then again I'm LDS and most people think I'm an Amish survivalist/polygamist so I'll just be happy we got the Mr/Mrs/Mrs/Mrs/Mrs Polygamy joke.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I think in the 1st recap Gary says something like 'there was a fish guy from Atlantis, but you never hear about him - because he was wicked lame.' So almost word of god there.

Fellbat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 17, 2016

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Aw cool thanks. They even have Unnamed_Video_Game_Head_Villain

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?
After this last episode I feel like 21 getting darted in the crotch, along with the Wandering Spider's leg apparently working when he's unconscious / dead(?) is going to come into play in the finale. The legs are going to bust into the Monarch's house and then into the doorway to the Morpho Cave while 21 is down there, and Dr. Mrs. The Sovereign and whomever else will find him there. If it's a bunch of people that discover him he'll take the fall for being the Blue Morpho and say he was killing the Monarch's competition so he could arch Venture, if it's just Dr. Mrs. then she'll put 2 and 2 together and figure out it's her husband.

After that I have no idea what happens. Maybe they'll have discovered that Monarch's dad is the one who collected the bounty on the Blue Morpho, sacrificing some random schmuck in order to get out of the game and they'll do the same thing again.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cojawfee posted:

Also plans that involve knocking on doors.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I love how angry Action Man is in that scene, really shows that while Team Venture weren't exactly the best caretakers of Rusty, they do care for him and later on for the boys quite a lot(see the scene with Colonel Gentleman and Dean in that cafe together for another good example of this)
Maybe Team Venture learned a thing or two from Rusty's eventual "development" and that's why Colonel Gentleman asked Dean to leave before taking on that red beret.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X_Toad posted:

Maybe Team Venture learned a thing or two from Rusty's eventual "development" and that's why Colonel Gentleman asked Dean to leave before taking on that red beret.

Wouldn't be surprised if most of said trauma came from Action Man being hopped up on the low budget Super Soldier drug cocktail that the government had him use during most of his tenure on Team Venture, figure most of the others had a little more tact in using violence outside of emergencies(except probably Jonas, he was almost as bad as Action Man was in that area, albeit for different reasons)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All of them abandoned the orphans in the fallout shelter. All of them.

Even Kano!

Probably because he is a crafty Oriental.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

iamnotcreative posted:

After this last episode I feel like 21 getting darted in the crotch, along with the Wandering Spider's leg apparently working when he's unconscious / dead(?) is going to come into play in the finale. The legs are going to bust into the Monarch's house and then into the doorway to the Morpho Cave while 21 is down there, and Dr. Mrs. The Sovereign and whomever else will find him there. If it's a bunch of people that discover him he'll take the fall for being the Blue Morpho and say he was killing the Monarch's competition so he could arch Venture, if it's just Dr. Mrs. then she'll put 2 and 2 together and figure out it's her husband.

After that I have no idea what happens. Maybe they'll have discovered that Monarch's dad is the one who collected the bounty on the Blue Morpho, sacrificing some random schmuck in order to get out of the game and they'll do the same thing again.

This is dumb.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sash! posted:

All of them abandoned the orphans in the fallout shelter. All of them.

Even Kano!

Probably because he is a crafty Oriental.

RALLY TEAM VENTURE!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Nevermind that doesn't work.

How often is Rusty's mom mentioned? I don't recall them going to far into that?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Hollismason posted:

What if it's the other way around and Blue Morpho is Rusty's Father? It'd be hilarious because Doc isn't even related to his Dad that hosed up his childhood.

Well, we know there were key parties. Can't remember which episode that was in, but the Venture crowd weren't exactly family values poster boys.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Pixelante posted:

Well, we know there were key parties. Can't remember which episode that was in, but the Venture crowd weren't exactly family values poster boys.

Eh that theory doesn't work that well because his brother looks almost exactly like his dad. I was thinking though that it may be his mom was Monarch's mom.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Hollismason posted:

Nevermind that doesn't work.

How often is Rusty's mom mentioned? I don't recall them going to far into that?
It's like a running theme that none of the characters know (or at least acknowledge) who their mother is. The list who do is short - Triana, Monarch, Billy as of S5, the quymm twins, is that it?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I have a theory that the Venture clan is a bunch of men who continuously clone themselves and pass down their wealth/corporation/memories/history to each successive generation, and that the titular "Venture Bros." refers to the collective "family."

That's their super power. Cloning. I believe Rusty is a clone, and Hank and Dean are clones (without an actual biological mother), and possibly Jonas and Brock and other related Venture associates. We're never shown any evidence of any women in the entire Venture family, at least to my memory.

I also believe that The Monarch is the bastard child of Jonas and the Blue Morpho's wife, making him Rusty's half brother and the generational equivalent of Dermott Fictel.

I'm halfway through season 2 on a rewatch and this theory is holding up so far with all the details I've forgotten. Some of Rusty's dream imagery is pretty blatant when viewed through this lens. Exhibit A (slightly NSFW, captured from S02E05 "Twenty Years to Midnight").

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Baggot posted:

I have a theory that the Venture clan is a bunch of men who continuously clone themselves and pass down their wealth/corporation/memories/history to each successive generation, and that the titular "Venture Bros." refers to the collective "family."

...I don't think the show is that deep.

I guess Brock's Spanikopita bastards don't break the theory, though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrSlam posted:

Then again I'm LDS and
You're, like, super not allowed to like Venture Brothers, aren't you?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's like a running theme that none of the characters know (or at least acknowledge) who their mother is. The list who do is short - Triana, Monarch, Billy as of S5, the quymm twins, is that it?

Pretty sure Brock knows his mom--the first time we meet Hunter he mentions that Brock was raised by a single mom.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Well, he was the Aquaman, after all. Those kinds of powers are 100% totally useful... about... oh, 7%of the time.

Many of the flashbacks feature different characters. The way I see it, Team Venture was a large ensemble, but on any given mission, you could probably only count on 4-5 of the 10-or-so in the team to be present.

That makes a lot of sense, especially if you grew up watching 80's cartoons designed to sell toys, like He-Man, G.I. Joe, or Transformers. There were a handful of core characters that regularly showed up on the shows, but then there were also a ton of guys that showed up in like one or two episodes to look cool, but did jack afterwards.

They made for some really cool looking action figures though.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 18, 2016

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, picked up packages from the mail room earlier and the club-only shirt was in one of them. The season is really over isn't it :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Hollismason posted:

Eh that theory doesn't work that well because his brother looks almost exactly like his dad. I was thinking though that it may be his mom was Monarch's mom.

If we ever see her, I hope she looks pretty normal except for having insane over the top eyebrows.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

Pretty sure Brock knows his mom--the first time we meet Hunter he mentions that Brock was raised by a single mom.
Ahh nice - good call.
Also Ben pretty much confirmed that Hank and Dean have a mom - I don't think your clone theory works.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if most of said trauma came from Action Man being hopped up on the low budget Super Soldier drug cocktail that the government had him use during most of his tenure on Team Venture, figure most of the others had a little more tact in using violence outside of emergencies(except probably Jonas, he was almost as bad as Action Man was in that area, albeit for different reasons)

Yeah, Action Man definitely did some hosed up stuff during his time on Team Venture, but I'm willing to give him more leeway because of the Jump Juice thing. Just look at the side effects that the super soldier serum had on Hatred.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That's just a bushel of baloney.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ultramiraculous posted:

Oh god, picked up packages from the mail room earlier and the club-only shirt was in one of them. The season is really over isn't it :ohdear:

I've been having some trouble with the shirt club. I ordered two subscriptions (one for my girlfriend), and I got the two of the first shirt, then only one of a combo third episode/bonus shirt. No second episode at all!

I emailed them and they were super cool about it -- I got a package with all 4 missing shirts like 3 days later. But keep an eye on the shirts, it seems like they're having some logistics problems.

On a related note, has anyone received week 4 yet?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That's just a bushel of baloney.

I just wanna get all animal on her and show her my filth!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

LividLiquid posted:

You're, like, super not allowed to like Venture Brothers, aren't you?

Only if I live in Provo, Utah. We get told to live in the world but not of the world which is open to interpretation, but a lot of the stricter church members interpret that as "Let's bury our heads in the sand and never watch anything with implications of fake violence and sex regardless of how good the actual story is." At the same time you have scriptures like, "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out" so like I said, interpretation. In the end, you have to choose what's best for you and govern yourself.

And I choose to watch Swedish Murder Machine Brock have kinky bondage sex with Wariana while 21 kicks the poo poo out of Harangutang.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 18, 2016

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

MrSlam posted:

And I choose to watch Swedish Murder Machine Brock have kinky bondage sex with Wariana while 21 kicks the poo poo out of Harangutang.
Can I just say that that little flash we see of Brock and Warriana that we saw in last ep was one of my favorite parts? I'm glad that Brock has finally found someone again :kimchi:

That and I also liked Billy asking if Rusty invited the Car Facts Fox

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Ithaqua posted:

I've been having some trouble with the shirt club. I ordered two subscriptions (one for my girlfriend), and I got the two of the first shirt, then only one of a combo third episode/bonus shirt. No second episode at all!

I emailed them and they were super cool about it -- I got a package with all 4 missing shirts like 3 days later. But keep an eye on the shirts, it seems like they're having some logistics problems.

On a related note, has anyone received week 4 yet?

I got my Blue Morpho shirt earlier this week. I had quite a few issues with the subscription last year but they were good about getting things sorted out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrSlam posted:

God bless you, MrSlam. :patriot:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Not sad to see less of Dermott. There are a lot of characters I'd like to see in expanded roles but he's pretty far down the list, unless he turns up as a super villain.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Bitter Mushroom posted:

What was the music in the flashback scene where Gary 'gets his wings'?

Sounded like a knockoff of Gimme Shelter

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone got a gif or webm for the scene with Action Man just pummeling the ever loving crap out of that guy from the last episode(lead up and/or or aftermath optional but would be appreciated), just love that scene

ACTIOOOOOOON

Edit:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 18, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Servaetes posted:

Sounded like a knockoff of Gimme Shelter

Definitely. It really drove the Scorsese feel home.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Yeah, Action Man definitely did some hosed up stuff during his time on Team Venture, but I'm willing to give him more leeway because of the Jump Juice thing. Just look at the side effects that the super soldier serum had on Hatred.

Seriously that Super Soldier formula they put Hatred on must have been some messed up stuff, considering it made him have pedophilic urges powerful enough that he still has issues with them several decades after the fact, which probably really sucks for him, considering he really seems to hate that part of himself

Capn Beeb posted:

ACTIOOOOOOON

Wonderful

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drrockso20 posted:

Seriously that Super Soldier formula they put Hatred on must have been some messed up stuff, considering it made him have pedophilic urges powerful enough that he still has issues with them several decades after the fact, which probably really sucks for him, considering he really seems to hate that part of himself

Or like most comic super serums, it took what was already there but latent and turned it into a pathological urge. It'd explain why OSI was keen on managing it over shitcanning him outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Thanks for making me watch Goodfellas, Venture Bros. A really great film.
P.S Kano obviously accidentally talked Blue Morpho into suicide.