Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

silversatyr posted:

Seriously, why can't we date the flower detective?!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Personally I feel this game would have been much better if you could marry Eliza. Give in to your delusions Art!

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

HenryEx posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

YES!

I have a thing for quirky characters and I would date the hell out of the sillier ones, but in regards to that particular character, I just really like her pizzazz. Also, detective. We could go on detective dates together. It would be grand!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

silversatyr posted:

YES!

I have a thing for quirky characters and I would date the hell out of the sillier ones, but in regards to that particular character, I just really like her pizzazz. Also, detective. We could go on detective dates together. It would be grand!

You can marry the "wacky" underaged being that is actually hundreds of years old. Or the "silly" chinese girl that falls all the time.

they are both so bad. Why can't we have the detective? She doesn't have any story reason to leave her out other than she might be 30 and that would be too old.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

I just wanted to mention that these options had me dying.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A future RF should have the hero having to defeat a Great Evil that was brought forth by someone trying to cook a magical meal beyond their ability. A Dish of Chaos from the book of Forbidden Gastronomy.

e: The Gastronomicon?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So, a fun thing you can do with failed dishes (at least in RF3): you know how you can feed food to animals to befriend them and get them on your farm? Well, you can feed things to any monster in the game, and all the food effects apply... including on bosses. Throw a Super Fail dish at a boss for fun times.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

So, a fun thing you can do with failed dishes (at least in RF3): you know how you can feed food to animals to befriend them and get them on your farm? Well, you can feed things to any monster in the game, and all the food effects apply... including on bosses. Throw a Super Fail dish at a boss for fun times.

EF4 does the same thing. And with failed potion as well, they give every status effect. Failed potion are actually useful in RF4 because you can level up resistances. In the early game you can give yourself every status effect for some quick stats and RP.

Edit: whoops I thought this was the RF1 thread. I spoilered it because it is game mechanics we haven't seen yet.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 4, 2016

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I would actually store mass amounts of super failed dishes for the mirror dungeon where my attacks do barely any damage and they can one-shot me

so with an inventory full of terrible food I just food poison all the monsters to death, as surely such a hard thing will have great rewards at the end

(There is no massive worthwhile reward in the mirror dungeons)

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Blind Duke posted:

(There is no massive worthwhile reward in the mirror dungeons)

The Sharance Maze has plenty of worthwhile rewards, the trick is doing it properly. By which I mean wearing a rosary when you enter, which eliminates all of the regular monsters and the mazes, turning it into a high level boss rush where you can gather crafting materials and recipe bread.

Besides that, it drops a variety of high level items and recipes. For most people, it's the only way they ever get pineapple juice to complete their request log (I will obviously be showing off the more annoying, difficult, and time consuming way to do it).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you actually break all the rocks in your field right now, or do you have to level up your hammer first?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Offtopic, but given that people were talking about RF3, I thought I'd ask: any reason, besides boredom and RP, I should go to bed before 5:59? I don't see any downside to sleeping 1 minute a night.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

The Sharance Maze has plenty of worthwhile rewards, the trick is doing it properly. By which I mean wearing a rosary when you enter, which eliminates all of the regular monsters and the mazes, turning it into a high level boss rush where you can gather crafting materials and recipe bread.

Besides that, it drops a variety of high level items and recipes. For most people, it's the only way they ever get pineapple juice to complete their request log (I will obviously be showing off the more annoying, difficult, and time consuming way to do it).

Don't use the Rosary if you're looking for equipment. Chests only spawn in normal rooms that are not the start or the boss room in randomized dungeons.

Speaking of chests, Sharence maze chests appear to use the same drop tables throughout the entire maze. Those tables also appear to have unlocks in them based on crops grown/shipped and either recipes learned or crafting levels. I have found top tier equipment, spells, and boss drops in them before they were craft-able/buy-able/farm-able respectively, on the first floor of the first section on normal difficulty.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Offtopic, but given that people were talking about RF3, I thought I'd ask: any reason, besides boredom and RP, I should go to bed before 5:59? I don't see any downside to sleeping 1 minute a night.
Going to bed before your character yawns for the first time (around 1 A.M. if I remember correctly) will give you experience towards your sleep skill, which contributes to pretty much every stat.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

silversatyr posted:

YES!

Eh, she seemed ok at first, but I pretty much hated her by the end of the end of the game.

I must admit though, it does seem a trend that a lot of the more interesting characters end up undateable in Rune Factory, but then I sometimes wonder if that's cause I'm just getting old

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

mastersord posted:

Don't use the Rosary if you're looking for equipment. Chests only spawn in normal rooms that are not the start or the boss room in randomized dungeons.

This is true, I was using the Rosary-boss rush point as one example of how the maze is rewarding.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Does Whatever a Butterfly Can

Wait, they make rare ones?

I once spent hours trying to fish one of these up with no success. This playthrough I got one early. But that’s another update, far in the future, with the other advanced crafting details. I just thought it was funny that I got one so early and I’m going to be sitting on it forever now.

As per usual, I spent a good portion of the day wandering around talking to people.

State your busi--!! ...Oh, it is you. Don't sneak up on me like that. What is it?

I just came to talk.

I could also have accused her of slacking here, in which case the conversation would turn toward Venti blaming Art for her being lazy.

Oh! Well, your timing is excellent, as I have no plans for the moment. I'll gladly have a cup of tea with you. It takes more effort than you might realize to speak like this all the time.

Well...then don't! No one's going to hold it against you if you speak naturally.

I like talking with you because I don't have to put on airs. I can just be myself. Listen up, Art. This is important for you to remember too. Never lie to yourself. Always true to who you are.

With a hammer, I’m able to break rocks. Besides finally clearing the ones in the field (and I have progressed to growing three, yes THREE kinds of crops in my field now, turnips, potatoes, and spinach, turnips are the only one worth a drat because I can cook them to increase the value)…

…I can also break rocks away from the farm. Scattered around the overworld and in dungeons are dark colored rocks with yellow flecks. Those are minable rocks, which give metal or gems when broken. A rock tinged with other colors, like the purple one I broke here, has a higher chance of returning a gem.

Like the amethyst here. Otherwise, these low level rocks and my low level mining skill mostly give iron (the basic metal I’ll need a ton of to start grinding forging and crafting skills) and scrap iron (pretty much entirely worthless, but it works well enough for skill grinding).

Yeah, that’s it. Nothing else happened worth mentioning.

Well, I guess there was one other thing.

REMATCH. ART WINS. FATALITY.

You know you’ve fought a boss when it takes thirty seconds to die while explosions fill the screen. There’s an easily exploited glitch here. Bosses give 20 prince points when you kill them, and you get those points as soon as you land the killing blow. But the game doesn’t count the boss as being dead until it finishes exploding. So you can land the last hit, get your points, then teleport out mid-explosion, leaving the boss available to fight again the same day, thus grinding PP very quickly.

And then there was a girl in place of the butterfly monster. Because.

Did that monster just turn into...a girl...?

Oogh...

Are you okay?!

Mmm...

Are you hurt?

Uh...

What's wrong?

...You have...a funny face...

Huh? What?! Hello? Can you hear me? She's asleep... But why did a butterfly suddenly turn into a girl?

And more importantly, why is this girl, who appears all of about 10, a marriage candidate? And why doesn’t Doug have a beard?

You may think that’s a non-sequitor, but it makes perfect sense to ask, because he just showed up.

Doug? Why are you here?

Oh, I was just walking by. But forget about me for a sec... Who's this?

I have no idea. A monster I was fighting suddenly turned into a girl... assuming I didn't just dream the whole thing...

Monsters turning into humans? I've never heard of such a thing.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I wonder what the heck is going on here... Doesn't seem to be injured, at least. Not on the outside, anyway.

Should I take her back to town?

I guess so. Let's have Jones look at her.

He may lack a beard, but he speaks wisely, so we’ll forgive him for now. Maybe he was caught in a tragic hair remover accident or something, it’s not polite to make sport of the man’s condition.

This would be a bad time for Jones to reveal that he got his medical degree from a box of cereal. Would explain a lot though.

What do you think?

She's a bit debilitated, but nothing critical. She should wake up in a bit.

I see... That's good to hear.

She...was a monster, you say?

That's right.

Why did a monster...? ...I suppose if I start asking questions now, I'll never stop. And it won't do any good anyway. So let's wait for her to wake up, then see what she has to say.

That sounds good, yeah.

Have you told Lady Ventuswill about this?

Not yet.

Could you go and tell her now? We need to continue monitoring her, at least for a little while.

Understood. I'll go right now.

So that’s one more girl added to Art’s ever-increasing harem. If anybody needs me, I’ll be over in the corner, feeling kinda icky for being associated with this.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are all the bosses going to turn into people, or is this girl a special case?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Are all the bosses going to turn into people, or is this girl a special case?

Well now, that would be telling.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it'll be an allusion to immigration, and soon you'll have older town-peoples complaining about all the newcomers stealing their jobs.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe it'll be an allusion to immigration, and soon you'll have older town-peoples complaining about all the newcomers stealing their jobs.

Heh, funny you should say that.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You mean that Mist isn't going to get her in her clutches?

With another farm, right next to yours... somehow

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You might wanna make a table of contents for the LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose as Art gets on in experience it'll become more and more second-nature for him to turn to the almighty dragon god in times of need, but somehow "almighty dragon god" seems like the first person you'd run to when inexplicable things like this happened.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Ah, but you forget, the God Emperor King Dragon Mayor is kinda useless.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dear Diary: Today I punched a butterfly so hard it turned into a lady.

MundaneBread
Mar 16, 2016
Man, seeing all these screenshots makes me wish the 3DS had a higher resolution. I just want to play RF4 in a way that makes it not as blurry.

On a side note: I picked up Stardew Valley the other day, all it made me do was want to play more of this game.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

It's not that Stardew Valley is a bad game, because it's not, it's great. It reminds me a lot of the original Harvest Moon, and more than a little of Harvest Moon DS.

There's just nothing special to distinguish it, it's a Harvest Moon clone, and not a particularly special one.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah Stardew is real good it's just not as good as RF4

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At least in Stardew you don't have amnesia :v:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rune Factory really helps the game be alot more by the fantasy mixed with the combat. I spent far too many hours messing around with the weapon types and going on murdering sprees with my digital wife.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

It's not that Stardew Valley is a bad game, because it's not, it's great. It reminds me a lot of the original Harvest Moon, and more than a little of Harvest Moon DS.

There's just nothing special to distinguish it, it's a Harvest Moon clone, and not a particularly special one.

I like both of them, and have been playing too much Stardew Valley lately.
One thing I appreciate a lot about it is that it isn't so... Japanese. By that I mean that all the singles are actual grown-ups and that you can date whoever you like regardless of your gender. I pretty much always play as the female character, so in RF4 it sucked that all the bachelors were turds and I couldn't date the bachelorettes.

MundaneBread
Mar 16, 2016

sheep-dodger posted:

One thing I appreciate a lot about it is that it isn't so... Japanese. By that I mean that all the singles are actual grown-ups and that you can date whoever you like regardless of your gender. I pretty much always play as the female character, so in RF4 it sucked that all the bachelors were turds and I couldn't date the bachelorettes.

Yeah I mean, I didn't mean to imply it was a bad game. But the lack of Japanese culture does a lot for Stardew Valley, makes it feel a lot more relatable. Like the one family that straight up lives in a mobile home. Again, I haven't played much of Stardew Valley, I have been playing RF4 instead :) My GF however, has played a lot of Stardew Valley. Like 60 hours over the past week and a half. Does anyone else think she needs an intervention?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Liking this thread quite a bit. I personally bought 4 because there was a dragon on the cover, and I thought "hey, dragon villager? Sounds cool." And well, Venti makes the best :j: faces and the funniest banter with Art here.

Rune Factory 4 is absolutely -teeming- with hidden secrets you'd used to have to buy a guide to know all the ins-and-outs, and I know it took me forever to learn things. Hopefully I can learn some new things as well.

Also, this is kind of moving ahead a bit, but sometime soon in the future, please pick the top option when someone asks what's the matter. Leads to a much funnier cut-scene.

Also, what day is it in-game?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

MundaneBread posted:

Yeah I mean, I didn't mean to imply it was a bad game. But the lack of Japanese culture does a lot for Stardew Valley, makes it feel a lot more relatable. Like the one family that straight up lives in a mobile home. Again, I haven't played much of Stardew Valley, I have been playing RF4 instead :) My GF however, has played a lot of Stardew Valley. Like 60 hours over the past week and a half. Does anyone else think she needs an intervention?

No, that is the normal human reaction to discovering Stardew Valley! :)

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

sheep-dodger posted:

Not to get too off-topic, but that's been grinding my gears for years that Harvest Moon couldn't move past 1950 in gender relations. Let me date whoever the gently caress I want to! Then again, I resort to naming my main character very gendered names or very neutral ones and pretendings, so.

I think our hero should be a little more surprised that he punched a butterfly monster and a girl popped out, btw.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Aesclepia posted:

Not to get too off-topic, but that's been grinding my gears for years that Harvest Moon couldn't move past 1950 in gender relations. Let me date whoever the gently caress I want to! Then again, I resort to naming my main character very gendered names or very neutral ones and pretendings, so.

I think our hero should be a little more surprised that he punched a butterfly monster and a girl popped out, btw.

Look the main character just got amnesia and their first memory is falling 300 feet onto the head of the mayor of a town, who's a dragon and also a divine figure.
Then they step outside and the mailbox starts talking to them.

If this is you first conscious experience: all bets are off, nothing else is strange, you have no internal arbiter for weirdness anymore.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Aesclepia posted:

If you haven't already, then you should definitely pick up Stardew Valley, which is also a lot more mature in what topics it includes and shows, such as depression, poverty and PTSD.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Aesclepia posted:

The protagonist of Rune Factory 3 was a were-sheep. Monsters having human form is not really a surprise in this world anymore. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

HenryEx posted:

Look the main character just got amnesia and their first memory is falling 300 feet onto the head of the mayor of a town, who's a dragon and also a divine figure.
Then they step outside and the mailbox starts talking to them.

If this is you first conscious experience: all bets are off, nothing else is strange, you have no internal arbiter for weirdness anymore.

Harvest Moon's issue is that it was and still kind of is a "kid-friendly" game. Which is why in quite a few games your spouse sleeps in a separate bed, gambling was removed from HMDS in PAL regions and it is generally quite cutesy and soft. With the whole debacle between X-Seed and Natsume causing a split between Bokumono Monogatari (the proper Harvest Moon games we know and love) and nu-Harvest Moon (that loving chibi bullshit) and how they were marketed, we're slowly starting to see a bit more freedom in how BokuMono works with the whole gender neutral dressing etc but I don't think they'll ever break free of their conservative roots.

• Locked thread