Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Green Wing posted:

Lord Ashcroft on Twitter:

"In history we had empires so emperors ruled. Then we had kingdoms so kings ruled. Now we are just a country..."

Westminster Twitter has been amazing all night.

...so Counts rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So what Victorian throwback illness has IDS contracted that has made him rethink his kill the Sick policy?

Hopefully something degenerative that lingers and really gets its hooks into him.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He's just upset that he's spent 5 years trying to kill the homeless, only to have Osborne noscope them all in one night.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/711134424197419008
Crabb's currently the Welsh Secretary, so now there's a vacancy there to fill. Shouldn't be too much trouble - they've got a decent selection of Welsh MPs who could do the job.

e: they've apparently gone with Alun Cairns for the Welsh Office.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 19, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"In history we had empires so emperors ruled. Then we had kingdoms so kings ruled. Now we just buy Belize and run it by proxy."

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I reckon IDS thinks he can get chancellor from Boris

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I know it's an incredibly shallow thing but IDS literally looks like a failed attempt to genetically engineer a perfect Tory that, when going through the accelerated aging process, just made him an old baby.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Brigadier Sockface posted:

...so Counts rule?

Rothermere is a viscount no?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/711134424197419008
Crabb's currently the Welsh Secretary, so now there's a vacancy there to fill. Shouldn't be too much trouble - they've got a decent selection of Welsh MPs who could do the job.

e: they've apparently gone with Alun Cairns for the Welsh Office.

So how terrible is this guy likely to be?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

Cairns or Crabb? Don't know much about Cairns but Crabb's a competent political performer and the son of a single mother who lived on a council estate, so he should be more reasonable than IDS.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 19, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tories who grew up on council estates are often worse.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
:toot:
I genuinely had to check I hadn't slept for two weeks when I woke up this morning and turned the news on. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever wake up one day agreeing with something Iain Duncan Smith had done that didn't end in the words "before turning the gun on himself".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/jamieszymko/status/711142184049840128

Well, his own constituents definitely aren't fans.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This all looks very promising. :v:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Be careful what you wish for I guess

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Almost always voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons.

Maybe he should take his own advice.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Interesting beard option.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Interesting beard option.

That's not a nice way to talk about his wife.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

jabby posted:

Less than IDS by definition, if only because he's not literally Satan. He does have a history as Welsh Secretary of actually seeming to give a poo poo about his job.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

He was on question time a few back, gave off the impression of of being deep and thoughtful and caring convincingly while just saying the party line when it came down to the issues, a different approach from the blustering angry smug ids tactic. drat, people might buy it. check it out if you can find it, about a month ago i think.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Maybe, in the face of increasingly damning statistics, he'll have something more to say than "I don't believe that's true."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/Fwestivus/status/711164940363685889

They just keep coming, Crabb looks to be a right piece of work.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is this a sideways move for Crabb?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
One could almost believe that you hoped for him to rip open his shirt and reveal a Corbyn or at least a Che Guevara t-shirt beneath it, while screaming "kill the rich", the next time he is in parliament.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Thinking of reasons IDS might have wanted to go now: my understanding of this is admittedly very hazy, but might not the imminent changes to tax credits for the self employed cause difficulties for the government? I help a self-employed gardener with his books and he's had a letter from HMRC saying that from April he needs to be able to prove that his business is consistently profitable (which apparently means, pays him at least the minimum wage all year round) to get tax credits. But gardening is seasonal and so he often makes less than the minimum wage, which is exactly why he needs tax credits. That and the insistence on good record-keeping with invoices etc is likely to make it impossible for my gardener friend to get tax credits, and force him back onto the dole. Obviously then he will be liable to sanctions, workfare etc, which is presumably the goal.

I don't know how common this is, but if there are lots of people who set up as self-employed to escape from DWP harassment but are now going to be forced back, the rise in unemployment statistics might be embarrassing.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

They just keep coming, Crabb looks to be a right piece of work.

Hey, at least we're reaching the point where Tories feel they have to hide their homophobia like a dirty little secret. Baby steps, but still nice to see evidence of how unacceptable this sort of thing's becoming.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

GaussianCopula posted:

One could almost believe that you hoped for him to rip open his shirt and reveal a Corbyn or at least a Che Guevara t-shirt beneath it, while screaming "kill the rich", the next time he is in parliament.

Follow your leader, nazi.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

a glitch posted:

Problem: Nothing IDS does could be called 'honourable'

How about seppuku

Pissflaps posted:

Is this a sideways move for Crabb?

Noice.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Will Crabb be a hard shell for Euro sceptics ?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Will Crabb be a hard shell for Euro sceptics ?

Poor. Very poor. You got carried away.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Obviously they thought he'd do in a pinch.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Oh dear me posted:

Thinking of reasons IDS might have wanted to go now: my understanding of this is admittedly very hazy, but might not the imminent changes to tax credits for the self employed cause difficulties for the government? I help a self-employed gardener with his books and he's had a letter from HMRC saying that from April he needs to be able to prove that his business is consistently profitable (which apparently means, pays him at least the minimum wage all year round) to get tax credits. But gardening is seasonal and so he often makes less than the minimum wage, which is exactly why he needs tax credits. That and the insistence on good record-keeping with invoices etc is likely to make it impossible for my gardener friend to get tax credits, and force him back onto the dole. Obviously then he will be liable to sanctions, workfare etc, which is presumably the goal.

I don't know how common this is, but if there are lots of people who set up as self-employed to escape from DWP harassment but are now going to be forced back, the rise in unemployment statistics might be embarrassing.

It's certainly going to affect a lot of people I know. The plans basically take no account of the reality of self-employment when you have no wealth to fall back on. It completely flies in the face of all this government's rhetoric because you could very well work your bollocks off but if a client is late with a payment or you have a quiet month or two, then the Job Centre can decide that you are not gainfully employed and it'll be a life of learning to write CVs and work experience placements in charity shops for you.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I was an ASBO youth once and I even continued to be ASBO for a few years after I reached old age of 25+

Though I do think CCTV provokes situations like you're experiencing all the more so may well be rather counter productive. Then of course any ASBO aggro magnet even slightly clued up will cover up by wearing something like a Thor Steinar hoodie with built in face mask to counteract this.

I'm not going to pretend I've been my neighbourhood's bastion of upstanding behaviour all my life because I haven't and my other half's daughter really was wild. She came close to gaol on a number of occasions in her teens but literally turned a new leaf as 20 appraoched.

What I'm saying is it all goes toward no groups of youth ever targetting us but even if they did I'd not go the CCTV route. It destroyed atmospheres in football stadia across our country from three decades ago onwards and is even used to prosecute parents dropping kids off outside their schools' gates nowdays.....I'd tear every last camera down if I had my way but alas it is what it is in the modern day.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The hell is that?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A poo poo poster you should pretend doesn't exist.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The hell is what? I can't see anything. (I cannot recommend Awful App's hellban feature strongly enough)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Poor. Very poor. You got carried away.

Aye, he should have scuttled that one.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Renaissance Robot posted:

The hell is what? I can't see anything. (I cannot recommend Awful App's hellban feature strongly enough)
Sorry, what? How do I activate this, I've never seen an option for it?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/711171135677792256

IDS is going on the Marr show tomorrow, presumably to rip into Cameron and Osbourne. It's like a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
CCTV is pretty bad but putting it on housing estates has reduced the number of coppers beating up kids in public with impunity, so that's good.

They do it in private now.

• Locked thread