Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

D_Smart posted:

It's hilarious to me that the SpazSpergs had a massive list of what they thought was coming in 2.3. Then less than 24hrs later, it drops. Silence (because it's the same old poo poo - with NOTHING they listed)

God I love weeks like this. At this rate of unbridled hilarity, this thread is going to be history in the making with 10K pages.

Derek, call them Spizergs it's cooler and it sounds less stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

I'm genuinely touched. I kid around a lot but (and it amazes me to say this remembering your Usenet antics from ages ago) I consider your efforts to shine light on the fantastic mess that is Star Citizen to be a societal good. Heaven knows the gaming industry is asleep at the switch - as usual. (Or more likely just lacks the stones...)

That you're so comically dastardly about it makes it all the more hilarious. I still crack up when I read your Interstellar Citizens post -- 4000 words of preamble, and then a non-stop assault with backhanded consolations like "of course you will still have your hangar which by the way is entirely unconnected from the game" (or whatever the exact wording was). Still funny- maybe funnier now than ever before.

You are the villain they deserve-- and unfortunately, since they're anti-heroes, you're improbably (if imperfectly) a good guy this time out.

p.s. - I have a backlog of effort posts queuing up-- some with surprises you might enjoy. Two weeks.

:allears:

Yeah, the thing is that some in the industry (gamedevs, media) are just kicking themselves in the nads that I had to be that guy who amplified the noise (which was always there, but not coming from the quintessential loudmouth flame-magnet). As a result, love me or hate me, there is simply no story about how this ends, without me in it. Poetic justice I think. Why do you think croberts completely freaked and spazzed out? He was totally not expecting it. Which is loving hilarious to me. And those rear end in a top hat Shitizens have pretty much helped to ensure that Star Citizen is now synonymous with Derek Smart. That's why they hate me. :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, SC is definitely showing other studios what can be done. One ragdolll at a time.

Too bad they already know it can be done — after all, they've done it. Only a bit faster and better.

AP posted:

The kickstarter TOS is written to keep them out of any dispute, the legal contract is separate and is formed between whoever makes the pitch and the suckers who fall for it. I don't understand why people find this so hard to understand.

If you owned kickstarter and it came time to write your TOS, you want to cover yourself as much as possible and that means you don't take sides in any dispute, because legal poo poo is expensive. There have even been comments from kickstarter pretty much saying this, "not our problem, please be nice to each other".

In practice, sure, that's probably how it will play out. However, it's still something that CIG has to stay clear of: if you use KS, you have to deliver at least the pledge rewards, or Bad Things will happen. Some of the Bad Things will mean that CIG will be liable for a whole lot of stuff they can't afford, not including all the bad PR that would ensue.

As such, even if by the slimmest or technical margin possible, they will ensure they don't stand in front of that particular train, because there is a pretty clear point where it will be KS' problem and they'll take action to protect their own brand. It's not likely that KS would take up the sword for the backers, no — conceivable, yes, but in practice not very likely — but that all changes if and when it's KS' own business that starts getting hit. Piss them off enough, and the protections CIG have erected against their backers will not be enough.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Xi'An Scout needs a lot of work.

its like you're just here for the ships :qq:

dont worry commando every ship gets 5 more passes before release by 2800 different artists and 1 CR. Just wait - open development, buyer be ware

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, the thing is that some in the industry (gamedevs, media) are just kicking themselves in the nads that I had to be that guy who amplified the noise (which was always there, but not coming from the quintessential loudmouth flame-magnet). As a result, love me or hate me, there is simply no story about how this ends, without me in it. Poetic justice I think. Why do you think croberts completely freaked and spazzed out? He was totally not expecting it. Which is loving hilarious to me. And those rear end in a top hat Shitizens have pretty much helped to ensure that Star Citizen is now synonymous with Derek Smart. That's why they hate me. :)

I just want to know when are you getting the money shot in the making of Star Citizen they are filming? 2 weeks?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

TTerrible posted:

They've not added anything. There are no new mechanics. They've added items and ships. Nothing new is happening. You still have one tiny part of a system with a terribly broken physics setup. There are no real missions. There is no persistence. There is nothing. What is wrong with these people :psyduck: Why.

It's the illusion of progress. They obviously dropped the PU to get more money and the most gullible are convincing themselves everything is fantastic.

They should stop altogether after another six months of modding on the PU while everything Chris does or says proves he only cares about Squadron 42. You would think looking bewildered by the game everyone thinks he is making would have done that and kept these guys from preaching but it's a cult, you have to be willing to drink the kool aid.

I Think the title of a psychological study after this whole thing falls apart should be "The Importance of Social Acceptance and the pursuit of purchasing it." That's even why some goons got so absorbed in it, it became about the spreadsheet and how much each person had donated. Same thing with Doobie's Dog House, That Saga's Wesha cancelled christmas to give some retard $1,000 and post smugly about it. Compliments and acceptance socially are more important to them than money.

Not every backer is trying to buy friends but it's obvious Wesha is, and he feels like he is still inadequate after dropping $30,000+ and buying them all food and trying to hang out with them so he keeps paying more and more hoping that somebody likes him. He is trying to convince himself that he is a high roller that loves the game so much when he would do this to any project that had enough attention to make him feel like he had friends. Some lovely furry game maybe.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
pgabz can you make a dash cam video of you parking your audi in a tree, and overlay PARKNIG SUCCESFL

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ShredsYouSay posted:

pgabz can you make a dash cam video of you parking your audi in a tree, and overlay PARKNIG SUCCESFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GttQrLm5_aI Almost the same thing…

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Wait, goons threw money at Doobie's Dog House? I thought that was just the saga of egging on some moron into opening a restaurant with terrible styling and concept?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Goons single-handedly funded doobie's dream of serving hot dogs out of a concrete bunker. It started as a feel good thing before it turned into a funny poo poo show.

Sort of like goons relationship with Star Citizen.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

That's some Stimpire level poo poo right there.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

If only this could replace :psyboom: because its not enough to show how hosed reddit is.

I simply cannot wrap my head around how some of these people even exist. I feel like I'm watching an episode of Twilight Zone.

At least you guys are awesome in making these videos. I feel like I'm going to break a rib on some of them.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

:laffo:

Wait, is that thing for real?
Unmodded, original CIG ship?

If that's so, am i the only person finding it hilariously bad?
It looks like someone pushed a gundam mecha through a trash compactor and then hosed it with a Flash Gordon rocket strap-on.

Also, i love that Gungan ship bubble and everything about it. The fact visibility is best *on the sides* and utter poo poo through the front the most.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

They've not added anything. There are no new mechanics. They've added items and ships. Nothing new is happening. You still have one tiny part of a system with a terribly broken physics setup. There are no real missions. There is no persistence. There is nothing. What is wrong with these people :psyduck: Why.

Denial.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm the random Michael bay transformers noises that thing generates as it twitches like a dying moth

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sundowner posted:

i think Elite really needs to get some sort of first person functionality in, walking around the bridge that's behind your pilot chair and walking around hangars when docked could do a lot to sell the scale. like the Type 9 is a big fuckin' ship but because it fits through the same sized mailslot as every other ship, it ultimately doesn't feel too much bigger than sitting in an Asp Scout because of the way they've implemented the pilots chair and cockpit stuff.

Play it in VR, you'll see there's quite a bit of sense of scale going on, for both your and others' ships.
No walking about needed to get it either.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I feel like I'm looking at some hosed up Reaper prototype from Mass Effect.

TTerrible posted:

I'm the random Michael bay transformers noises that thing generates as it twitches like a dying moth

Now I can't stop thinking about Reapers being Decepticons. THANKS MAN.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

I don't think Receiver is a fair comparison to spending half an hour loading crates into your sperg chariot. I never played Receiver but I've seen gameplay and realistic weapon handling looks like it would make a cool game for a certain audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCThInmzjXw

Receiver was a hackaton PoC.
It did what it was supposed to.

Don't dis Receiver.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sankis posted:

It's so weird seeing the same talking points reiterated by different people, in different parts of the internet. I've seen that "Now that they have the pipeline, things will be so much faster!" comment what seems like a dozen times now from seemingly different posters on different videos and on reddit.

On another note, it's really funny to see them suddenly take an interest in doing the "Making Of" feature after they began facing some criticism about it. I wonder if it's also one of the Kickstarter promises that they're more legally obligated to uphold rather than the extras they shat out on their own page.

It's a $14M stretch goal. Because you know, anything that puts chris and sandi in front of a camera for SpazSpergs, has more priority than, you know, completing the loving game

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

orcinus posted:

Play it in VR, you'll see there's quite a bit of sense of scale going on, for both your and others' ships.
No walking about needed to get it either.

a content update that would take some weeks to some months to implement or a several hundred dollar investment for really just one game? i'd rather the former.

i wasn't doubting there's scale, i was doubting the games ability to translate that to the player. the expectation can't be that everyone play in VR.

and believe me, i want VR but it's not completely vetted and it's expensive (if you include that your PC has to be brought up to scratch along with acquiring the actual VR gear).

edit: and to add, my issue was that for all the scale and detail there is in the ship you are still locked to your little chair in a bubble at the tip of your ship. adding walk-about would allow you to get out of the chair and see that detail up close.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 19, 2016

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Reading the defenses posted in the brother goon thread make me sad.

The Sandi stuff sticks out to me because it's such obvious cronyism and yet the cult will defend her honor to the death for... reasons?

Failed actress with no credentials lands sweet VP job and starring role and is given a production studio to film weekly shows that lack any focus other than getting her in front of the camera to read lines from a script she can't be bothered to memorize and blink a lot. And eat in front of fat people on diets.

Oh and by the way she's totally not married to CR how dare you even ask and if anyone internal talks about it we will destroy you.

And even when they are forced to admit she is the boss' wife nobody in the community bats an eye and everyone keeps towing the "she's doing a good job and the internet is just mean" line while she shamelessly pads her resume & IMDB with garbage.

Yuck.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MeLKoR posted:

Please don't hate me guys. :qq:

Also, to be fair, most Goons don't even know wtf Star Citizen is (and are likely happier this way). I do like the portrayal of people in this thread as being unhappy, angry Goons though because this joyride is hilarious, page after page. I don't even know how you can get enjoyment out of a (non)game without even playing or paying for it, but somehow Crobbers delivers.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There was an image posted of Sandi promoting the new SC making of documentary, and showed a make-up artist prepping sandi for a shot

just curious, how many video game companies hire a make-up artist

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Madcosby posted:

There was an image posted of Sandi promoting the new SC making of documentary, and showed a make-up artist prepping sandi for a shot

just curious, how many video game companies hire a make-up artist

p much any game company that has serious documentaries or little short docs like Double Fine etc almost certainly hire make up artists.

if anything it's one thing CIG are doing professionally.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sundowner posted:

p much any game company that has serious documentaries or little short docs like Double Fine etc almost certainly hire make up artists.

if anything it's one thing CIG are doing professionally.

aw, i was hoping for something to get indignant about

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Madcosby posted:

aw, i was hoping for something to get indignant about

haha it's okay there's plenty else to come. just revel in the fact that even cousin ben is gonna get buttered up for a talking head interview and still look goofy.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

orcinus posted:

Also, i love that Gungan ship bubble and everything about it. The fact visibility is best *on the sides* and utter poo poo through the front the most.

Prey animals have their eyes on the side of their head. It is like poetry. It rhymes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

The kickstarter TOS is written to keep them out of any dispute, the legal contract is separate and is formed between whoever makes the pitch and the suckers who fall for it. I don't understand why people find this so hard to understand.

If you owned kickstarter and it came time to write your TOS, you want to cover yourself as much as possible and that means you don't take sides in any dispute, because legal poo poo is expensive. There have even been comments from kickstarter pretty much saying this, "not our problem, please be nice to each other".

To give a bad Analogy. If you go to an indoor market, visit a stall and give a guy £20 for an iphone that he promises to give you next week, next week you go back and his stall is empty, the company that owns the market building doesn't owe you poo poo. Your contract was directly with the trader who took your money, the trader might have had a separate agreement with the building company to rent a stall but you aren't part of that and certainly aren't covered by it.

^this is absolutely correct. And that's exactly why I asked them to return the $2M got from KS no-questions-asked. But they were too greedy to do it. That was like one month of funding. That keeps them out of the KS ToS and is where they are going to get the most legal smack-down when this all blows up. On their own website under their own ToS; regardless of what they write, donations, pledges, sales or whatever - failure to deliver as promised, is still legally actionable. Even outside of Fed involvement.

Seriously, I am 100% certain that they know they're going to be in a world of hurt. However, they would much rather take the money now, rather than risk not having it; because when this all blows up, they will have no source of income and legal bills will dry up their cash (business and personal) very quickly and straight into bankruptcy. Thing is, they're all three (Chris, Ortwin, Sandi) are on the hook personally for this because they are the execs who setup all these companies.

e.g. see how long the Hulk v Gawker defamation suit took to get to a verdict? 4 years. See how almost immediately Denton had to seek external funding (for the first time in Gawker's history) even though Gawker is making over $35M per year? And the result? A $115M verdict with punitive (maybe another $50M) damages to come.

That's the kind of poo poo (jail time aside) they're messing with here.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

D_Smart posted:

^this is absolutely correct. And that's exactly why I asked them to return the $2M got from KS no-questions-asked. But they were too greedy to do it. That was like one month of funding. That keeps them out of the KS ToS and is where they are going to get the most legal smack-down when this all blows up. On their own website under their own ToS; regardless of what they write, donations, pledges, sales or whatever - failure to deliver as promised, is still legally actionable. Even outside of Fed involvement.

Seriously, I am 100% certain that they know they're going to be in a world of hurt. However, they would much rather take the money now, rather than risk not having it; because when this all blows up, they will have no source of income and legal bills will dry up their cash (business and personal) very quickly and straight into bankruptcy. Thing is, they're all three (Chris, Ortwin, Sandi) are on the hook personally for this because they are the execs who setup all these companies.

e.g. see how long the Hulk v Gawker defamation suit took to get to a verdict? 4 years. See how long almost immediately Denton had to seek external funding (for the first time in Gawker's history) even though Gawker is making over $35M per year? And the result? A $115M verdict with punitive (maybe another $50M) damages to come.

That's the kind of poo poo (jail time aside) they're messing with here.

hi derek.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

intardnation posted:

I just want to know when are you getting the money shot in the making of Star Citizen they are filming? 2 weeks?

Oh don't worry. As soon as that poo poo hits YT, someone is going to splice me in it. Guaranteed. :)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

D_Smart posted:

Oh don't worry. As soon as that poo poo hits YT, someone is going to splice me in it. Guaranteed. :)

I said hi, its been some time.

how is groot doing?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

D_Smart posted:

And that's really all I was trying to say: of the many many goals they've set up, if they're even slightly sane over at CIG, the KS ones are the one they should prioritise because that's where they can/will get into the most trouble when things start going wrong.

Then again, that's risk management thinking, and I have a sneaking suspicion that risk management isn't really in the CIG vocabulary.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 19, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Yup, they're probably sweating over there. I wonder if they will lower the price.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

D_Smart posted:

Yup, they're probably sweating over there. I wonder if they will lower the price.

have you taken them all down yet?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

Hopefully, 250bux is a bit too much, but I'll grab one at 150ish

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SneakyFrog posted:

I said hi, its been some time.

how is groot doing?

Dying for attention, huh? :) Fine, hi. I haven't seen Groot today. Ask my nephew Tavane; he probably knows.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So this gem hit my inbox

quote:

you seen this guys channel? He's a forensic accountant and a lot of the stuff he does in that area is amazing. Just check out the quality of the gawker and Fig (tim's site) and how he takes them apart.

I will get to the point, for about 5 videos, he's been mentioning you and SC as this huge project that he's working on, and he only ever makes videos "if there is enough meat on the bones" - about 3 months and counting now, but look out for him. I think it'll be quite good considering how he digs into crap

https://www.youtube.com/user/dangerousanalysis/videos

maybe these 4. Certainly the Fig one, and the indi one. But the Fig one starts off saying he's working on a vid about you and SC. Can't wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOOlsCWzItI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX0f_YUn1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lm5e7kuPyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9u2na5385A

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

D_Smart posted:

Dying for attention, huh? :) Fine, hi. I haven't seen Groot today. Ask my nephew Tavane; he probably knows.

thank you benevolent leader.

have you considered what will happen when your high rise is uninhabitable due to florida being underwater?

will you just move back to london or will you move off planet?

I thought ricky was your nephew?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Decrepus posted:

The sickening and hear breaking truth about having more dollars than sense.

the debt triples every second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Reading through those stretch goals from time to time always brings a laugh due to how "pulled out of the rear end" they are.

A plant for 1 million.

or

An entire star system for the same price.

• Locked thread