Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Almost nobody is off their game right now. The start to this basho has been unreal. Even Goeido looks strong, even if he's still pulling a bit too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

Even Goeido looks strong, even if he's still pulling a bit too much.

get ready for the goeido yusho

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fryhtaning posted:

Almost nobody is off their game right now. The start to this basho has been unreal. Even Goeido looks strong, even if he's still pulling a bit too much.

Even Ichinojo seems to be showing some spirit - not a huge amount but more than we've seen recently.

I hope Kotoyuki's post bout interview gets posted somewhere. The camera goes to XTREME close-up as he tries to hold in the feels.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0VVR-Wl0g&t=488s

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 16, 2016

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Officer Sandvich posted:

get ready for sekiwake goeido

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfsUZNpxtvk

Hakuho you a dick

Aminishiki's win was my favorite today.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Elissimpark posted:

Even Ichinojo seems to be showing some spirit - not a huge amount but more than we've seen recently.

I hope Kotoyuki's post bout interview gets posted somewhere. The camera goes to XTREME close-up as he tries to hold in the feels.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0VVR-Wl0g&t=488s

Uploaded the English audio version of this interview just now, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3VXMp9gQAw. Love seeing rikishi get emotional like this.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

MrSmokes posted:

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfsUZNpxtvk

Hakuho you a dick

Aminishiki's win was my favorite today.

Aminishki always comes with the sickest moves.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

Hakuho you a dick

It doesn't excuse it by any means, but he seemed super angry at his own unelegant performance rather than at Okinoumi.

Astrotrain posted:

Love seeing rikishi get emotional like this.

I'm not really a fan of either Kotoyuki or Gagamaru for their sumo prowess, but I love when they try and be all stoic but fail. My head canon is that Kotoyuki believes he lives in an anime.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9orTCgSXrhQ

E: Last match was probably the best one today. And probably the most controversial one too.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 17, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I liked Kakuryu's match the most today. He almost lost twice before pulling off that sick throw.

Too bad about Kotoshougiku's loss :( Plenty of days left though.

Hakuho you still a dick

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

I liked Kakuryu's match the most today. He almost lost twice before pulling off that sick throw.

Too bad about Kotoshougiku's loss :( Plenty of days left though.

Hakuho you still a dick

That move that Kakuryu pulled on Kisenosato a while back is still one of the most amazing feats of sumo escape artistry I have ever seen. Kisenosato had him dead to rights with that initial grip.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa0U7_-npXs

Yay, Kotoshougiku bounced back nicely :)

This is shaping up to be a great basho. Still so many guys who could end up winning this thing.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Strange things taking shape with the top guys not all starting at 6-0

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

This will be one of those basho were days 10-13 blow everything to smithereens.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

There's one person clapping like crazy after the Hidenoumi bout. I applaud that person.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I didn't notice it watching it live, but on the Kintamayama video, it sounds like someone is giving a slow, sarcastic clap after every bout.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5_m2B2uUI4

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

oh my god Kotoshougiku gave me a heart attack, that throw at the edge was AWESOME

e: quote is not edit

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Yeah, I've noticed the guy in the audience who seems a bit :downs:

Ikioi vs Kisenosato tomorrow. :getin: I'm pretty torn on that one. Even though I like him more, I don't think Ikioi can do well enough against the Yokozunae to take the whole thing. I don't really care who wins in the end, but I prefer the excitement of it not being one of the 3 Yoks.

Insane energy in this basho. Almost everyone is either in the yusho hunt or a tough-luck loser.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
How exactly are the match ups decided? Like, if some mid level dude gets eight wins in a row, are the organisers like OK, let's see what you're made of, you'll fight the three yokozuna next?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
In Juryo, Oosunaarashi is dominating at 7-0 and has 5-2 Endo coming up next.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I notice Masunoyama is 3-0 way down in Jonidan. He missed 4.5 tournaments - has he finally had his health issues sorted out?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Dang, I really want a Kyokai Ballet Academy shirt now.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Ras Het posted:

How exactly are the match ups decided? Like, if some mid level dude gets eight wins in a row, are the organisers like OK, let's see what you're made of, you'll fight the three yokozuna next?

Matches are scheduled ahead of time with the wrestlers facing opponents close to their own rank, because of this the Yokozunas' and the ozekis' will almost always fight each other towards the end of the tournament.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

They do mix it up though if someone lower down the banzuke is in the yusho race in the early days. Often, they let them get kachikoshi before matching them up with someone near the top of the banzuke. I guess Ikioi is close enough to the top that he will fight some ozeki and a yokozuna or two in the natural course of things anyway.

Look at Ikioi's bouts from Aki basho last year:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=6491&b=201509

He fought a bunch of dudes around his level, was doing well, then got tossed to the joi.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Tsaedje posted:

I notice Masunoyama is 3-0 way down in Jonidan. He missed 4.5 tournaments - has he finally had his health issues sorted out?

No, he just missed because of knee surgery. His lung/heart thing is still on going.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvXCBYrufXs

E: Ikioi-Kisenosato wins MOTN, although Harumafuji-Sokokurai was also pretty good.

BTW, is Terunofuji kadoban right now due to his January basho record?

Goeido pushing to stay ozeki by hook or by crook. :lol:

Excellent recovery by Kotoshogiku.

Was that Yoshikaze's blood on Hakuho there at the end?

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 20, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Yeah, Terunofuji is kadoban. He's pretty clearly still fighting through injury and it sucks :(

Kotoyuuki/Aminishiki was hilarious.

Yoshikaze apparently got busted open pretty bad, that was his blood on Hakuho.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

E: Ikioi-Kisenosato wins MOTN, although Harumafuji-Sokokurai was also pretty good.

BTW, is Terunofuji kadoban right now due to his January basho record?

Goeido pushing to stay ozeki by hook or by crook. :lol:

Excellent recovery by Kotoshogiku.

Was that Yoshikaze's blood on Hakuho there at the end?

I'm kinda growing fond of Sokokurai - partially because he looks like Rowan Atkinson, but also he seems a bit of a quiet achiever. Apparently when he first went to Japan, he had trouble with the diet and would eat yoghurt with his rice as he acclimatized.

Yes, Terunofuji is kadoban - sucks because you don't really choose to be injured.

And yes, that was his blood - he copped a massive forearm on the tachi-ai. He was bleeding a bit yesterday too, probably didn't help...

e:fb, dammit.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mr.Flibble posted:

Matches are scheduled ahead of time with the wrestlers facing opponents close to their own rank, because of this the Yokozunas' and the ozekis' will almost always fight each other towards the end of the tournament.

Yeah, the yokozuna and ozeki schedules are mostly fixed from the start, unless someone drops out and results in a shift. It also depends on how many ozeki and yokozuna there are to a point, since with 3 yokozuna, 4 ozeki, and 4 seki/komu, each yokozuna and ozeki will theoretically have 10 matches written in stone from the get-go. Terunofuji and Harumafuji have 9 since they can't go against each other except in a playoff. Actually, 8 now that Takarafuji is a komusubi (not for long - the meatgrinder is in full force this basho). The rest of the matchups more or less default to M1-M(n), depending on the spots to fill.

Since the yoks tend to go against the komusubi/sekiwake and M1/M2 first, days 1-6 tend to be unchanged, as are days 10-15 for all the yokozuna/ozeki combinations. Of course, Harumafuji/Terunofuji being exceptions that get easier schedules right now. So, roughly speaking, days 7-10 are where they may shuffle things around to throw a 6-0 or 7-0 or 8-and-something rank-and-filer against a top-ranker. It can happen even later than that if there's a void left by an Ozeki or Yokozuna that dropped out mid-basho. Ikioi thrown against Kisenosato may have been a marginal example of that yesterday, since M4 is usually just out of range for the yoks and ozeki. A better example was last basho where Toyonoshima was 10-2 at M7 while Kotoshogiku was on his run - Terunofuji dropping out early (who Giku would have faced near the end) gave them the opportunity to schedule those to against each other to be sure that Toyonoshima would "earn" the yusho had he taken it. They skipped over M3E and all of M4-M6 to have Toyonoshima (M7) fill the matchup void left by Terunofuji - the rikishi in those ranks were all out of the race at that point. Toyonoshima obviously proved that he was legitimately on fire, handing Kotoshogiku his only loss.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The big thing on my mind about this tournament right now is that giant open wound on Goeido's rear end. Just what the hell is that thing? Looks painful.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 9: http://youtu.be/p76QzP17baY

Okinomi-Tochinoshin was my pick for MOTN, but Harumafuji-Ikioi gave it a run for its money.

Yeah, switching to black hasn't helped Shohozan any.

Goddammit, I knew that henka from Kisenosato was coming.

I guess Goeido needed a literal poke in the rear end to get him going. :v:

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 21, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

drat, it's looking unlikely that Kotoshougiku will win this time. :( Kisenosato winning would be cool. That henka was lame though.

Goeido really wanted his rank, and what an awesome win to get his kachikoshi on. :) He's been looking good this basho.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MrSmokes posted:

drat, it's looking unlikely that Kotoshougiku will win this time. :( Kisenosato winning would be cool. That henka was lame though.

Goeido really wanted his rank, and what an awesome win to get his kachikoshi on. :) He's been looking good this basho.

He's actually showing the form that got him there to start with. It's just a shame he's so inconsistent.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

He's actually showing the form that got him there to start with. It's just a shame he's so inconsistent.

These guys are expected to conduct themselves with a ton of honor and pride, so there's also the issue of injuries that we never hear about. It's one thing to see someone obviously bandaged up, but it doesn't take but a slight nerve irritation or muscle soreness to knock these guys down to 80%. Maybe Goeido has been nursing a slight injury, or maybe he really is this inconsistent. He's killing it this basho, either way.

The guys I really can't figure out are Shohozan and Okinoumi. Talk about flashes of brilliance followed by epic stretches of mediocrity.

e: I'll tell you one thing I like about Kisenosato's sorta-henka. It shows he actually wants to win. Giku's yusho has clearly lit a fire under his rear end.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 21, 2016

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

Okinomi-Tochinoshin was my pick for MOTN, but Harumafuji-Ikioi gave it a run for its money.

Nah, quite clearly MOTN was

Sweater-black skivvy.

Fryhtaning posted:

e: I'll tell you one thing I like about Kisenosato's sorta-henka. It shows he actually wants to win. Giku's yusho has clearly lit a fire under his rear end.

He seems consistently focused this basho. He normally has that facial tick when he's feeling the pressure, but he's been pretty calm.

I'd say it was a Harumafuji half-henka, if that. The replay clearly shows heads bonking. Kisenosato can actually move when he needs to!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfW25QMbYkI

E: Kakuryu-Kisenosato was an easy pick for MOTN.

Just watching Gagamaru square off against Satoyama made me dissolve into giggles.

But I was impressed with Satoyama's finish there.

I literally went :stare: when Takarafuji picked up Tochinoshin like a baby.

So much for yokozuna, Giku. :smith: Still, Goeido has looked mighty impressive so far.

Dare we hope that this is finally the basho where Kisenosato doesn't choke?

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 22, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Lots of awesome throws today.

I really hope Kisenosato wins, he's looking so drat good and a second Japanese yusho winner would be cool to see.

Terunofuji had no chance in his current state. I really hope he gets his kachikoshi and then heals up well :(

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tomorrow - Kisenosato v Hakuho and Goeido vs Harumafuji. The results can end anywhere from a 4-way tie for the lead to Kisenosato completely in control of his destiny.

Get. the gently caress. In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

I literally went :stare: when Takarafuji picked up Tochinoshin like a baby.

Takarafuji is pretty loving strong - according to Sanoyama-oyakata (ex Chiyotaikai), he bench presses 230kg and I'm sure I've seen an equally crazy deadlift figure somewhere too.

Its easy to forget though, he tends to fight fairly defensively.