Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol, the federal dropship has the galaxy map in VR

Cattedit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
pette that creature immediately

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOL77aj7770

not sure how to feel about this. it's so cringy but the actual editing is nice but the game is so shite.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beaten by Reddit, thanks Derek!!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sundowner posted:

not sure how to feel about this. it's so cringy but the actual editing is nice but the game is so shite.

Bootcha! Noooooo! I know Derek didn't want to record his part but this, this is too much.

Also: they should have a disclaimer about not using actual in-game stuff. lol

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ON THIS DAY IN THREAD HISTORY: 2014

For the people complaining about CIG removing chairs, this is just them balancing things out.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 19, 2016

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Toops posted:

I love cocaine dad show and have missed him.

I love solar plebeian and you're doing gods work :)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sundowner posted:

It's almost sad that they can't compare their game to anything that could actually be considered a competitor.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Sunswipe posted:

It's almost sad that they can't compare their game to anything that could actually be considered a competitor.

They are not aware of any video games that have been released since 3000AD. Therefore Star Citizen is the best game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sundowner posted:

Personally I love Panda's vids, he's pretty good at editing.

It's dickface! It surprises me how many reddit cats I see end up here, but since they seem to be legal tender this little guy is cute as gently caress..

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Look at that stride!
That is without a doubt the fastest catte alive, and anyone who says otherwise is obviously dead meat.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

For the people complaining about CIG removing chairs, this is just them balancing things out.

:laffo: at that probation. You've come a long way, goons.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Thoatse posted:

It's dickface! It surprises me how many reddit cats I see end up here, but since they seem to be legal tender this little guy is cute as gently caress..

Sick and tired of goons posting other people's cats...

...without cattribution

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Can you include the links in future when you do this, I like seeing what was happening and finding the right thread/page is a pain in the arse.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I just remembered Chris Roberts trying to play his own game and had a good laugh to myself

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Did I miss which one of you this is?

Don't be silly, anyone who's not a cultist is a goon.
If you're not with us, you're against us, 'mmando.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sundowner posted:

a content update that would take some weeks to some months to implement or a several hundred dollar investment for really just one game? i'd rather the former.

i wasn't doubting there's scale, i was doubting the games ability to translate that to the player. the expectation can't be that everyone play in VR.

and believe me, i want VR but it's not completely vetted and it's expensive (if you include that your PC has to be brought up to scratch along with acquiring the actual VR gear).

edit: and to add, my issue was that for all the scale and detail there is in the ship you are still locked to your little chair in a bubble at the tip of your ship. adding walk-about would allow you to get out of the chair and see that detail up close.

While you're right in that the scale is often hard to get across, would the ability to walk around the cockpit or the ship really help?
How often would you do that? My bet is - once for every ship, then the novelty wears off and that's that. Or do you really think you'd often get out of the pilot's chair and walk around peeking at the nooks and crannies of your cockpit in the middle of a flight?

Yes, it would be cool.
Yes, it's also very low on the feasibility/RoI scale of things.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

Prey animals have their eyes on the side of their head. It is like poetry. It rhymes.

Yes. Like the magnificent soaring Cows-of-Prey or the abominable Andromedan Death Camel.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

The port olisar graphic moves independently from the ring it is on

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Thoatse posted:

i don't actually know who it is, i just caught it on reddit!

orcinus posted:

While you're right in that the scale is often hard to get across, would the ability to walk around the cockpit or the ship really help?
How often would you do that? My bet is - once for every ship, then the novelty wears off and that's that. Or do you really think you'd often get out of the pilot's chair and walk around peeking at the nooks and crannies of your cockpit in the middle of a flight?

Yes, it would be cool.
Yes, it's also very low on the feasibility/RoI scale of things.

eh, they could find ways to add functionality to it. you could say what you're saying about a lot of games, like in a shooter they don't need to have details in the environment it could just be brown one-way corridors and serve the same purpose or it could have details and non-essential rooms to check out that impact literally nothing but your experience in the game.

i would gladly put aside ~imershun~ based content for more functional gameplay of course but it wouldn't hurt to start slotting in new ways to expand the in-world experience.

maybe i'm still just skeptical of VR (it's cool as gently caress, but in it's untenable infancy) but for now i do believe it's a hot gimmick and only time will tell. in the meantime, games still need to be made the way 90% of people are going to play them and so walking about your ship is far more meaningful than looking around your little cockpit console and over your shoulder at a bridge you can't actually go and see for yourself.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I was reading about about cargo cults today and it reminded me a lot of star citizen

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sundowner posted:

eh, they could find ways to add functionality to it. you could say what you're saying about a lot of games, like in a shooter they don't need to have details in the environment it could just be brown one-way corridors and serve the same purpose or it could have details and non-essential rooms to check out that impact literally nothing but your experience in the game.

i would gladly put aside ~imershun~ based content for more functional gameplay of course but it wouldn't hurt to start slotting in new ways to expand the in-world experience.

Admittedly, it'd be cool to have "poo poo to do" in the ship.
But then you're starting to drift into SC territory of going out of scope and diluting the primary game mechanic with mini-game mechanic crap.

Which, if done in moderation, does not necessarily have to be wrongbad, but it's a very very fine balance to nail down, IMHO.

Speaking of "poo poo to do" in the ship... Did anyone else get reminded of Bill, the Galactic Hero by CIG's ideas of having crewmen change loving circuit breakers in the middle of a ship-to-ship battle?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

orcinus posted:

Admittedly, it'd be cool to have "poo poo to do" in the ship.
But then you're starting to drift into SC territory of going out of scope and diluting the primary game mechanic with mini-game mechanic crap.

Which, if done in moderation, does not necessarily have to be wrongbad, but it's a very very fine balance to nail down, IMHO.

Speaking of "poo poo to do" in the ship... Did anyone else get reminded of Bill, the Galactic Hero by CIG's ideas of having crewmen change loving circuit breakers in the middle of a ship-to-ship battle?

You'd think they would put the component stuff in easily accessible places but no, on the Starfarer you have to go into a crawlspace :downs:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

cocaine dad show posted:

I was reading about about cargo cults today and it reminded me a lot of star citizen

Not sure if i ever posted this, but i've been thinking exactly the same for months now.
SC *is* a loving game cargo cult. In more ways than one.

SC devs are a game development cargo cult. They go through motions they've seen or thought they've seen actual developers do, hoping it will magically result in a game.
SC fans are a gamer cargo cult. They go and think through motions they've seen other gamers go, without actually ever playing anything, thinking they're playing a game.

e: I've seen my post counter yesterday and realized just how much i shitpost here. My sincere apologies, commandos, i'll try to cut down on the noise.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

orcinus posted:

Thank you for reminding me of one of the funniest scenes from any book I've ever read.

There aren't enough facepalms on the whole internet for this idea, thankfully it'll never see the light of day as this thing is doomed under the weight of its own bullshit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Did another Elite thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-qMBXpNkvE

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Daztek posted:

You'd think they would put the component stuff in easily accessible places but no, on the Starfarer you have to go into a crawlspace :downs:

WTF kind of bullshit spaceships don't have miles of Jefferies Tubes?

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

[quote="orcinus" post="457642935"]
Not sure if i ever posted this, but i've been thinking exactly the same for months now.
SC *is* a loving game cargo cult. In more ways than one.

SC devs are a game development cargo cult. They go through motions they've seen or thought they've seen actual developers do, hoping it will magically result in a game.
SC fans are a gamer cargo cult. They go and think through motions they've seen other gamers go, without actually ever playing anything, thinking they're playing a game.

e: I've seen my post counter y
Exactly, going through the motions, and apparently they often form around a leader with a 'vision'

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Great music choice as always P'Gabz

Real shame Star Citizen keeps crashing, even during a video about Elite.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kramjacks posted:

…and without tubes to crawl through, how are you going to get lost and suddenly fall onto demon-spikes in the black-hole/dimension-travel-engine room?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Sundowner posted:

i don't actually know who it is, i just caught it on reddit!

The way SUPERHOT does it is interesting, but then again, SUPERHOT does have a pretty neat art direction to begin with. There is a level of detail in the environments (and models) but it is that way to emphasize the gameplay elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vi_JBJ5yoE

Anti-fidelity, but emphasizing the gameplay aspects maybe

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Kramjacks posted:

Or Miles of Brien.

SomethingJones posted:

Thank you for reminding me of one of the funniest scenes from any book I've ever read.

Read that book (and the sequels) when i was a kid for the first time.
It had me almost literally ROFLing for weeks.

As i grew older, i kept retroactively finding more and more SciFi tropes that book already spoofed so well, and it still keeps making me laugh to this day.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Never knew there were sequels. It was proper laugh out loud stuff. Haven't read it or any of the Stainless Steel Rat books since I was a kid.

Shame that so many sci fi games take their inspiration from Hollywood sci fi, when the real gritty, intelligent, funny, mindblowing stuff is all in, you know, BOOKS.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Sequels are... eh, pretty meh compared to the original book.
Some of them were written by Harry Harrison, some of them were not.

But they still have their moments.

Anyway, remembering Bill reminded me of this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1702513/10%20Space%20Hero%20(Fish).mp3

Yes, it's filk. Yes, i know.
But give it a listen, iz funneh.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SomethingJones posted:

Never knew there were sequels. It was proper laugh out loud stuff. Haven't read it or any of the Stainless Steel Rat books since I was a kid.

Shame that so many sci fi games take their inspiration from Hollywood sci fi, when the real gritty, intelligent, funny, mindblowing stuff is all in, you know, BOOKS.

Books are made by publishers and as we all know, publishers are nasty and evil and want SC to fail. So obviously, no right-thinking citizen would do something as silly as take inspiration from such a horrid contraption as a book.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cocaine dad show posted:

Cargo hasn't been implemented yet.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Cargo hasn't been implemented yet.

Actually, they just haven't flipped the switch to turn it on.

It's next to the Economy knob, 256-player servers toggle, and the Rest of the Galaxy breaker.

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 20, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Kramjacks posted:

Actually, they just haven't flipped the switch to turn it on.

Actually, the switch has been flipped already, but it's currently traveling through The Pipeline.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

Actually, the switch has been flipped already, but it's currently traveling through The Pipeline.

Actually, the pipeline has been flipped, so it's currently travelling back to the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Can't listen cos I'm in work on my phone. I'll have to catch up tomorrow.

Also imagine I'm posting the DIRECT QUOTE from Chris Crobblers saying that VAULTING and PARKOUR were coming in the 2.3 patch.

If Frontier were to leave one single promised feature from their next update, they would get hammered on their own forum and elsewhere. When CIG does it, nobody opens their mouth cos they'll get banned.

• Locked thread