Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
e: Update from last page

kalonZombie posted:

Final episode! I'm gonna take a week off the LP and start First Light on the 31st with a double update.

Episode 14: Brooke Augustine ... Good Uncut ... Evil Uncut ... Good Cut ... Evil Cut

It's too bad in the end they decided to try and both have Augustine be a huge rear end in a top hat, but also on the other hand really care about people and want to protect them. They succeeded too much with the first to make the latter believable. Maybe if her concretestone mask started falling apart gradually all throughout the story progression and it became apparent she had emotions before the last 2 story missions.

Or maybe that's what happened and I'm not very perceptive? Always a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The comparison to a TV show was made partway into the LP, and yeah, this really felt like a super solid miniseries you'd see on like Netflix or something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zanzibar Ham posted:

e: Update from last page

It's too bad in the end they decided to try and both have Augustine be a huge rear end in a top hat, but also on the other hand really care about people and want to protect them. They succeeded too much with the first to make the latter believable. Maybe if her concretestone mask started falling apart gradually all throughout the story progression and it became apparent she had emotions before the last 2 story missions.

Or maybe that's what happened and I'm not very perceptive? Always a possibility.

She's not-magneto.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I do think the good ending was a little bit sudden in how everyone is all sunshine and happiness despite the contrary, but maybe Delsin really turned things around to make the world like Conduits again.

Overal, good game, good LP.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

She's not-magneto.

That's for sure, Magneto would organize the Conduits into an army and wage war on humanity.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's for sure, Magneto would organize the Conduits into an army and wage war on humanity.

She was working towards what may have eventually become that. She trained both Fetch and Eugene on how to use their powers to fight if you'll remember, and was working on other 'combat capable' Conduits.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

She was working towards what may have eventually become that. She trained both Fetch and Eugene on how to use their powers to fight if you'll remember, and was working on other 'combat capable' Conduits.

Oh, that's true! I completely forgot that was going on.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I do think the good ending was a little bit sudden in how everyone is all sunshine and happiness despite the contrary, but maybe Delsin really turned things around to make the world like Conduits again.

Overal, good game, good LP.

Yeah, in the good run the implication definitely seems to be that Delsin's actions proved to people that conduits aren't all evil and coexistence is possible. And of course, in the evil run he proves all the prejudiced folks right but doesn't care.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The point is more that she cares about conduits, full stop. Her position within the military empowered her to protect them, but she did so by playing the military game. And she knew she was running out of enemies to fight, so to ensure her future funding she weaponized Fetch and Eugene and put them in a truck with her best escape artist. I'm pretty sure her endgame would have been her using her weaponized conduit army to carve out a safe place for her people, but she really did not give two shits about all the regular humans killed or inconvenienced by her plans.

In the good ending you prove her wrong and more importantly expose her schemes for the utter bullshit that they are, allowing you to free the conduits.
In the evil ending you become her perfect boogieman. Which might have been her plan all along, two conduits escaping and terrorizing Seattle might prove her point but would also prove her own incompetence, a completely unknown entity showing up and rampaging through Seattle for seemingly no reason would scare everyone into doing whatever she asked for. The problem is that Delsin won, and turned Curdon Quay into his own personal power buffet.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

hi

bye

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

The point is more that she cares about conduits, full stop. Her position within the military empowered her to protect them, but she did so by playing the military game. And she knew she was running out of enemies to fight, so to ensure her future funding she weaponized Fetch and Eugene and put them in a truck with her best escape artist. I'm pretty sure her endgame would have been her using her weaponized conduit army to carve out a safe place for her people, but she really did not give two shits about all the regular humans killed or inconvenienced by her plans.

In the good ending you prove her wrong and more importantly expose her schemes for the utter bullshit that they are, allowing you to free the conduits.
In the evil ending you become her perfect boogieman. Which might have been her plan all along, two conduits escaping and terrorizing Seattle might prove her point but would also prove her own incompetence, a completely unknown entity showing up and rampaging through Seattle for seemingly no reason would scare everyone into doing whatever she asked for. The problem is that Delsin won, and turned Curdon Quay into his own personal power buffet.

But Fetch, Eugene and Delsin are all conduits. She doesn't seem to care about them. It's just.. I dunno, I guess I read those final scenes with her wrong. Seems to happen to me a lot. Nevermind.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

But Fetch, Eugene and Delsin are all conduits. She doesn't seem to care about them. It's just.. I dunno, I guess I read those final scenes with her wrong. Seems to happen to me a lot. Nevermind.

If she wanted fetch and eugene dead she could have killed them at the same time she killed reggie, it wasn't like they were going anywhere. And conduits are good at healing, but a concrete spike through the Femur still hurts like a bitch. She knows full well that the other Conduits don't want to play her game, but she thinks she's looking out for their best interests.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Does going (final fight spoilers) Sonic the hedgehog on her do damage, I remember using that alot

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Honestly, "actively maintain a really lovely status quo because you think the alternative is even worse" is a pretty misguided goal from the start, but at least an understandable one. Where she loses me is, the crux of this whole justification is thinking they're better off in Curdon Quay, but we got an idea of what it's like in there from Hank, Fetch, and Eugene. Sure, she ~has to~ lock them up, what's the justification for the horrible conditions?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Stormgale posted:

Does going (final fight spoilers) Sonic the hedgehog on her do damage, I remember using that alot

I've honestly never tried, so I don't know.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Electric Pope posted:

Honestly, "actively maintain a really lovely status quo because you think the alternative is even worse" is a pretty misguided goal from the start, but at least an understandable one. Where she loses me is, the crux of this whole justification is thinking they're better off in Curdon Quay, but we got an idea of what it's like in there from Hank, Fetch, and Eugene. Sure, she ~has to~ lock them up, what's the justification for the horrible conditions?

Preventing all the conduits from breaking out en masse?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You have to admit, Delsin's ironic "Yeah. I'm told that hurts." is pretty awesome.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I dunno, man, seems redundant in this thread.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm sad that Reggie died mainly because I wanted him to be the Zeke to Delsin's Cole.

Also I bet that last third of the game was rushed so it could be a PS4 near launch title

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Electric Pope posted:

Bio-terrorist racism never disappeared. You can't just let people who can shoot fire or explode have decent living conditions, what're you a terrorist lover?!

I've personally never seen an example of a large section of the population developing powers like X-Men or Inhumans or something else and the response not being to bring in tanks and martial law instead of reassuring them they're going to be alright. Y'know, just not giving these scared people a reason to rebel and destroy things like their football team just lost a game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah but she's working with little oversight on her actions, seeing as shes got a major city on lockdown, was able to easily declare both martial law and at-will suspension of rights, and apparently hella funding since she can mess about having all these Core Relays and drones just all about.

She could have had her own off shore GenoshaGuantanamo and built a conduit city there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Yeah but she's working with little oversight on her actions, seeing as shes got a major city on lockdown, was able to easily declare both martial law and at-will suspension of rights

"Those that would sacrifice essential liberty for a little personal safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I love how Augustine is smart enough to weaponize Delsin's own power against him. She knows that if she gives him her powers then he'll be completely hosed. It was also a great way to show us some insight into the way her mind works. You can make your own conclusions about whether she's right or wrong (she's obviously wrong), but I like that you're given a choice.

I'm sure they'll make another inFamous game. As far as new IPs, it's one of my favorite video game series ever. The biggest compliment I've always given is that they tell modern day superhero stories. In an age where the most iconic heroes we have are from the 40's or the 60's, they still managed to tell a story that really stuck with me.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Now that I've actually watched the videos, holy poo poo I had no idea you could upgrade mid-fight. 3 times I suffered through that fight! Expert was hell! How did I not realize this!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I find it absurd that they give you Concrete, an incredibly overpowered ability on paper, at the end of the game with zero power behind it. You don't get the fantastic vertical mobility the DUP agents have, you don't get the great defensive properties the DUP agents utilize, you don't get a loving karma bomb to fool around with, and you can't just recharge it anywhere despite the presumable overabundance of concrete in an urban environment.

Concrete should be the "okay, you beat the story, here's easy-mode to round up the collectibles and gauntlet fights" power. It should be broken as poo poo and unfairly overpowered in comparison, because you earned it, dammit. Such a great moment of empowerment ruined by a wet fart of a payoff.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I guess you thought the concrete letdown felt like a sucker punch.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm told it hurts :smith:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm surprised that for the ending Delsin didn't point out the flaws in her decision other than "Imma expose you", especially since he's a (I assume) treaty native whose people have been forced into reservations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I surprised that he thought exposing her would do a drat thing.

Like when they exposed the torture and humiliation done to prisoners at Gitmo, the government certainly closed the place immediately and definitely doesn't continue to use it to this day.

EDIT: Or like in the movie The Arrival where the climax is Charlie Sheen defeating the aliens by promising to put up a movie on youtube.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 22, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

To be fair, he exposed her, then personally went to Curdon Cay to release the Conduits. Probably with a bunch of news crews tagging along so that their new favorite Conduit celebrity wasn't shot dead on the spot.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That evil ending is weaksauce but fitting.

I disagree that they're trying to make Augustine sympathetic with her background. To me her background is explaining her motives and methods for achieving them in a way that makes sense (and causes her to make sense) but there's still quite a few holes in it thanks to the rushed ending. There's a bundle of implications to be had but regardless: her backstory doesn't explain her seeming inclination to power-trip which is likely a result of being the only 'Legal' Conduit and wanting to flaunt that, plus the whole exultation Conduits get from using/increasing their powers.

One last bit of Seattle Chat: there are like, 5-6 buildings taller than the Space Needle in Seattle, the main one being the Columbia tower. Pre and Post-Concreting it looks like that's the building you climb up in the last episode. That's pretty neat. It's like, the second tallest building on the West Coast after one down in California somewhere (that was built after it so it used to be the tallest.)
It's got the tallest public viewing area though, not only on the west coast but west of the Mississippi too (where the Arch kind of beats it? I forget.)

That's pretty much all I know about it though because I've never been there, just the Space Needle. It's really hard to miss on the skyline.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 22, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So uh I know I said this was going to start on the 31st but it's going to start on April 1st. No, I'm not trying to make some loving stupid April Fool's thing, I just genuinely screwed up encoding one of the episodes and I won't have enough time to fix it before then. I will have a real, genuine update for you on April 1st.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

What is this?
It's InFamous: First Light! It's a stand-alone DLC starring everyone's favorite neon laser shooting junkie, Abigail Walker AKA Fetch. It released in late August 2014, roughly five months after InFamous: Second son. You don't need Second Son at all to play this, and it's currently standing at a pretty $14.99 on Sony's digital store (i say $10 in the first video, but i was mistaken and must have been confusing it for a sale price).

What's it about?
First Light is a prequel DLC all about Fetch's past. Specifically the events leading up to her killing her brother, Brent, which led to her capture by the DUP. They do a couple of non-obtrusive retcons here and there, all of which can be handwaved away by saying we don't exactly know how accurate Delsin's past-reading power is. Since we're playing as Fetch, we're limited to just the neon power, but being limited to "just neon" is like being limited to a chain gun with infinite ammo.

100%?
Technically? 100% requires a lot of grinding for skill points, which would be dreadfully boring to watch. I'll show off all the missions (and all of the variants of the one side mission that has variants), but aside from that you can assume that I'm earning various skills off-camera. I do, however, have a file with 100% completion on it, and will be using that to show off the arena fights (which wont have commentary).

Episode 1: Short-Tailed Burmese Cat ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 2: I'm Shane. ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 3: Gang War ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 4: Drones ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 5: Go Fetch! ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 6: You See That, Brent? ... Uncut ... Cut

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 28, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm enjoying the authentic Russian track suits.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I really need to sit down and finish this one of these days. I'm terrible about playing dlc, even for game I adore.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The pho joint was called:
Inphomous

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Just gonna say good job, sex goblin.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Zanzibar Ham posted:

There are lots of abusive parents out there who think that the horrible poo poo they do to their kids is justified because "I'm their parent and I can do whatever I want and somehow also this is for their own good," or in really extreme cases, "I work so hard just for you and therefore even if what I'm doing isn't strictly for your own good it's still fine because I earned it." I'm kind of seeing that second one in Augustine.

Also onna topic of the Magneto comparison, I'm not seeing that she's an analogue to Magneto so much as she's trying to be him, but lacks all the skills and aptitudes that actually make Magneto the successful leader of a well-intentioned but murderously misguided social rebellion. Magneto is charismatic and a competent strategist, so he can convince people to join his cause willingly. Augustine is not either of those things so she's forced to dragoon people into her army with threats and brute force, and then she fails because her entire strategy is brute force organized so poorly that one guy with a halfway decent ability to plan thirty seconds ahead can get the better of them. Also, even if she won, her rear end is grass; that passage from The Prince everyone knows about being feared rather than loved finishes up "but for the love of gently caress don't let them hate you because a leader the people hate has the lifespan of a plate of bacon in front of a dog." I guarantee you if she won her utopia would last about three minutes before one of the loving ingrates she worked so hard for shanked her in the kidneys, and all because she like, threatened and tortured and imprisoned them or whatever.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
Oh god, now that Skippy mentioned it, I swear Shane is acting exactly like Buck from Kill Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The pho joint was called:
Inphomous

God drat

• Locked thread