Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GaussianCopula posted:

A lot of money?

You can get the complete edition for as little as €8.74 on GMG (http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/de/en/pc/games/strategy/hearts-iron-iii-complete/) or even cheaper on certain well known grey market sites. Even if you only play it a few hours, I'd say it's a worthy investment.

poo poo, hadn't realized it has gotten that low. Still, I can think of better ways to spend $15.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the time I put into HOI3 but at this point you're probably better off waiting.

cKnoor posted:

I didn't I just stopped posting low effort stuff on SA. There is a bunch of stuff on my Youtubes.
No kiddin? I will need to take a look.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Stellaris release date got announced today! It's May 9th, less than two months from now :woop:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Guildencrantz posted:

Stellaris release date got announced today like three days ago!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm hype...but not hype enough to buy a game at release. Will be carefully monitoring the thread to see how it turns out, though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gut instinct says Darkest Hour over HoI3, but I never really got in HoI3 to know how good or bad it is; supposedly it's good with the current amount of expansions but comparatively I still couldn't tell.

Darkest Hour would take a significantly higher time investment to actually learn to play probably unless you're already familiar with HoI2 or the Europa engine games in general.

Guildencrantz posted:

Stellaris release date got announced today! It's May 9th, less than two months from now :woop:

Phlegmish posted:

I'm hype...but not hype enough to buy a game at release. Will be carefully monitoring the thread to see how it turns out, though.

Just in case you didn't know, there is a dedicated Stellaris thread now for all those hot news.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Phlegmish posted:

Did you like any of the HOI games? Because if not, I don't think HOI4 is going to be radically different.

Well, I mean, the specific things that turned me off of DH (an antiquated, clunky Europa engine UI without any of the quality of life stuff you'd expect in later Paradox games, giving me flashbacks to the bad old days of vanilla Victoria 1) and HoI 3 (extremely convoluted hierarchical orders of battle that take like ten thousand years to organize properly) are both, like, specifically not in HoI IV.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Welp, that's what I get for not following this thread and getting all my information from email newsletters :downs:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Empress Theonora posted:

specific things that turned me off of DH (an antiquated, clunky Europa engine UI without any of the quality of life stuff you'd expect in later Paradox games, giving me flashbacks to the bad old days of vanilla Victoria 1)

I remember when, I believe during a DH LP thread someone was doing, I discovered that you can switch to the different casualty report styles by right-clicking the loving clock and everyone lost their poo poo. Such fun hidden nonsensical feature placement is what awaits those who dare delve into the realm of the Europa engine!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

YF-23 posted:

I remember when, I believe during a DH LP thread someone was doing, I discovered that you can switch to the different casualty report styles by right-clicking the loving clock and everyone lost their poo poo. Such fun hidden nonsensical feature placement is what awaits those who dare delve into the realm of the Europa engine!

I really wish I could get into Kaiserreich but trying to play DH is just so bad. I guess I'll just wait for the HoI IV port...

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Darkest Hour would take a significantly higher time investment to actually learn to play probably unless you're already familiar with HoI2 or the Europa engine games in general.

HoI3 is HoI2 plus a bunch of fiddling with AI, fronts and command hierarchies. It's definitely easier to learn DH.

e: and the division builder system! And leadership as a resource!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Hoi3 is Hoi2 with all the fun sucked out of it. Don't get HOI3 or DH if you're trying to get into the series, just wait. HOI3 is a Bad Game and you shouldn't bother while DH is so antiquated and obtuse that it won't be fun to learn.

If you're just looking for a good WW2 strategy game: Order of Battle: Pacific and DC: Barbarossa are both fantastic modern games that are easier to get into than any HOI game and they're a lot more fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, no matter how hard I tried I could not even figure out Hoi3 let alone enjoy it. Or more, by the time I started to figure it out I realized it absolutely wasn't for me. There wasn't some screen or control or gameplay mechanic I was missing, that was it. Kaiserreich I only actually played recently, many years after playing hoi2. The interface was a bit poo poo but I never felt like I was constantly fighting a massive AI that was trying to help me. It's also actually fun, with cool alt-history possibilities and flavour.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
HOI3 still sucks because the problems with it are embedded deep within the structure of the game and can't be patched out. For example, combat is probably the most fun part of the game (in the sense that your actions have immediate, noticeable results) but can be for the most part handed over to an AI that's good enough as long as you're playing the rest of the game competently. Problem is the rest of the game consists of watching various bars fill up and occasionally adding more bars to the filling queue. I could go on about how managing combat and troop movement by hand is extremely fiddly and stupid to the point that the game design encourages automation in all but a few circumstances, but I'd just bore you.

It's clear that HOI4's basic design is a response to these problems, so just wait for that one and skip HOI3.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've never played HOI3, but my 15-year old cousin does, and he says he doesn't even touch the OOB because it's such a pain in the rear end. And this is a kid who figured out Dwarf Fortress without consulting the wiki.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

I've never played HOI3, but my 15-year old cousin does, and he says he doesn't even touch the OOB because it's such a pain in the rear end. And this is a kid who figured out Dwarf Fortress without consulting the wiki.

Yeah the thing about OOB isn't that it's hard to understand, it's just really cumbersome. Basically, you have your entire army, which might be dozens or even hundreds of divisions, and they get various bonuses for being under four different tiers of command - so you get the maximum bonuses for everyone by filling out those tiers completely: i.e. each division has a corps above it, each corps has an army above it, each army has an army group above it, and each army group is assigned to a theatre. Oh, and except for theatres, each tier is limited to 5 subordinates, so you can't just make one of each and then put your entire force under a single corps. The problem is that basically every nation starts with an OOB that is far from optimal (or even complete) and the only way to reorganize them is to manually reassign them all individually. That's not even getting into generals, which can be assigned at any level all the way down to individual divisions, who have both a skill rating that affects the overall bonus given to everyone under them, as well as traits that give specific bonuses that get more powerful the lower down in the hierarchy they are.

It seems like one of those things that probably sounded interesting on paper, but it would only really work if you were building up an army from scratch. When you already start with a huge, established army, reorganizing it just becomes busywork.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I've bounced off every single HOI game and didn't enjoy any of them, and I bought them all on release. I really wish I liked them though, so I'll be buying 4 partially to see if they've finally made it something I can enjoy (battleplans make me think maaaaaaaaaybe yes?) and partially just as a tip jar donation for their good games like EU & CK.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Ofaloaf posted:

Fascist Britain that hasn't outright overthrown the monarchy? For some reason I always assumed Mosley and the BUF were anti-monarchist, or at least keen to sideline the monarchy into absolute uselessness.

Someone in the thread on the official forums that Mosley was a monarchist, dunno if that is true or not.

Seems even weirder that Fascist Britain is part of the Allies. Fight fire with fire I guess.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Darkest Hour has just enough QoL things I'm used to at this point (provided I don't ever need to use the spacebar while renaming units) and I actually find that map to be very aesthetically pleasing. The HoI2/AOD map is an atrocity, especially if you're playing HoI2 and can't play in native resolution.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tuskin38 posted:

Seems even weirder that Fascist Britain is part of the Allies. Fight fire with fire I guess.
They were historically. :ussr:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the thing about OOB isn't that it's hard to understand, it's just really cumbersome. Basically, you have your entire army, which might be dozens or even hundreds of divisions, and they get various bonuses for being under four different tiers of command - so you get the maximum bonuses for everyone by filling out those tiers completely: i.e. each division has a corps above it, each corps has an army above it, each army has an army group above it, and each army group is assigned to a theatre. Oh, and except for theatres, each tier is limited to 5 subordinates, so you can't just make one of each and then put your entire force under a single corps. The problem is that basically every nation starts with an OOB that is far from optimal (or even complete) and the only way to reorganize them is to manually reassign them all individually. That's not even getting into generals, which can be assigned at any level all the way down to individual divisions, who have both a skill rating that affects the overall bonus given to everyone under them, as well as traits that give specific bonuses that get more powerful the lower down in the hierarchy they are.

It seems like one of those things that probably sounded interesting on paper, but it would only really work if you were building up an army from scratch. When you already start with a huge, established army, reorganizing it just becomes busywork.

To me this is the 2nd most fun part of HoI3, because that's when I plan out the requirements of each front, give them the corresponding troops, organize them along the border, name the army groups corresponding to their front section, position the HQs (who have differing ranges depending on which level of your OOB they represent) and so on. The only thing that is busy work is assigning generals, but that's done in 5-10min anyway.

The most fun part is of course the actual combat.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There's a sale on our webshop this weekend:
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/featur...1faec-151674425

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the general feeling about Cossacks, worth it for $15? Looks like a fun set of features, nothing amazing, and I guess estates were a really polarizing addition?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What's the general feeling about Cossacks, worth it for $15? Looks like a fun set of features, nothing amazing, and I guess estates were a really polarizing addition?

Personally I'm waiting on a bigger discount

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have played a ton of EU4 since Cossacks came out and Estates are a good addition. They add a tiny bit of tedium in managing an estate's provinces and their Loyalty/Influence but add a number of really awesome actions you can take, such as recruiting a general that has stats as if you have 40 Army Tradition for zero Mil Points, getting a half price Master of Mint, Inquisitor, -2 Unrest guy, or Diplomat, getting five free Heavy Ships, ummm.

Also giving provinces to different Estates can give you good bonuses, like giving trade power provinces to the Burghers/Trade Guilds gives you a bonus to trade power in that province, while reducing its Manpower and Tax income by 25%. If you give a province to the Clergy it increases the provinces tax income by 25% and reduces Production and Manpower by 25%, but also reduces unrest by 2, aaaand if the estate is loyal enough you get a +2% convert rate. On top of that, if a province has high autonomy and you give it to say, the Clergy, you earn taxes as if the province had 0 autonomy.

Also also the expansion makes playing as a Horde hella fun.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hahaha what, there's a CK2 hip flask for sale?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Ofaloaf posted:

If you don't play the GoT mod as Robert while smashed out of your mind so as to accurately roleplay him, I don't know what to tell you.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

UrbicaMortis posted:

If you don't play the GoT mod as Robert while smashed out of your mind so as to accurately roleplay him, I don't know what to tell you.
I take shots of slivovitz, try to take over Byzantium as the Serbs and shitpost about Turks anonymously on the internet.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm quite tempted, actually.

What's shipping to Iceland costs Darkrenown?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I really want to buy that CKII t-shirt but I'm afraid to see what the shipping costs will be for the complete opposite side of the world. :ohdear:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I really want to buy that CKII t-shirt but I'm afraid to see what the shipping costs will be for the complete opposite side of the world. :ohdear:

A mousepad and hip flash is costing me 6.96 to ship to New Jersey, so its not unreasonable for a North American. God knows when it would get here but for a three dollar flask i can't complain.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Quill is doing a Castile Tutorial series with no Expansions enabled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLP7m_g5Q4

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The other problem is that a lot of nations don't have extensive lists of Generals available- so if you do a good job with a non-major (or even some majors like France) in a production-sense and churn out enough units to really field a meaningful army, you'll have a bunch of units without a leaders. Which is less of a problem than in EU4, but still a problem.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The EUIV mousepad is huge as gently caress and looks really cool. Nothing goes quite as well with excessive amounts of "gaming" LED lights like a map from ~500 years ago.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Well Imperialism II is very interesting. Is it simplified at all over the first game?

Some random impressions from playing the tutorial (a couple hours long!) The interface is kind of hard to use and certainly not too great at presenting key information. But it was released 17 years ago. I'm glad the battles can be ignored, poo poo is complicated enough already. Trade and production looks like it will take a long time to really get the hang of, and I can't imagine the AI adviser is all that bright. The approach to units and provinces is clever. Basically each province (you might have 5-8 provinces to start) has one city and a bunch of hexes that can be improved. You can move civilians around the provinces building roads and farms and such (you need to hook up every production hex with suitable transport) but military units move by the province and occupy the whole thing at once, so there's not any fiddly maneuvering like Civ has. This looks to me like there will be some room for maneuver but not that much since fronts aren't effectively very wide. Glad to see that the tactical combat is optional; honestly it kind of seems out of place in this title. Trade, consumption, and production are very complex and fiddly, which will take a lot of getting used to. I'm not sure I like how you have to agree to offers to buy stuff -- couldn't it be streamlined by saying which countries you prefer to buy goods from?

There's a ton of complexity I haven't scratched yet, like the tech and the custom game options and the options to make things more challenging (realistic?) I think I can safely already that say this game is pretty cool and definitely of interest to the thread. Holding out for Paradox to make a spiritual successor. poo poo, a board game adaptation would work great too.

e: And you can't say no to the title page of the Imperialism I manual:

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 19, 2016

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Imperialism, does EXACTLY what it says on the tin.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I like that it's just simple enough that you can reasonably micromanage everything by yourself, and it has enough granularity that every decision becomes important. The game really starts to shine on Normal difficulty and above, since you have more scarcity leading to more interesting decisions each turn.

It's really easy to screw yourself over though. I'd suggest just starting over a few times or looking up a guide until you can reliably get positive income and enough food to feed your workers on normal difficulty, that way you learn to avoid the most common death-spirals.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Estates is the Order of Battle of EU4. Technically its in your best interest to micromanage it but do you really want to deal with that when you could just hide every notification related to them and pretend that the old random revolt system is back?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Larry Parrish posted:

Estates is the Order of Battle of EU4. Technically its in your best interest to micromanage it but do you really want to deal with that when you could just hide every notification related to them and pretend that the old random revolt system is back?

Not even nearly in the same league.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Estates at the bare minimum is selecting random provinces when the "Estate X/Y/Z wants more land!!!" red flag appears at the top left. I can definitely empathize with those who have lost the ability to feel human after being exposed to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
All I really do with estates is assign centres of trade to my burghers, give the other estates enough land to not lose loyalty, and use the "demand monarch points" options when loyalty is above 50%, and it feels fairly optimal. If you want to get advanced you can give the nobility your castles and land with unrest to the clergy, and some of the other options that don't give you monarch points look good, like getting generals and admirals, or free ships. Most of the time your interactions with the system will take you maybe ten seconds.

Whereas to get fairly optimal with HoI3's order of battle you're manually organising literally hundreds of divisions into an organisational chart, with a not particularly good interface, and the game is set up so that every country's order of battle starts horribly optimised. I spent a full hour fixing it at the start of one game.