Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Galarox posted:

Sgt Parpers Lonely Smarts Club Band

Oh poo poo it's me! How the gently caress am I important enough to be in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

"Features come before content. Sure some features need content, but the feature implementation is what alpha is all about. Real content drops woun't be commonplace until after early beta. The content is assuredly there, but no point introducing content when the feature that it employes isn't in the game yet.

Features are all those "backend" things they keep speaking of. "

:psyboom:

Like what does this even mean?

What the hell is an "Almost All flyable ship"?

250 dollars for a rehashed, asset stealing, POS that everyone hates, and they still buy it.

These people have to be on drugs or something, I just don't get it.

Seriously What the gently caress.

This is the trouble on that site, they've gotten so used to all the bullshit that they are having a hard time establishing fiction from reality. The initial guys post meant well, but confusion quickly set in and now they are all running around discussing clothes to buy. :shepspends:

I'm just glad I got a swift post in on the guy who stated that E:D wasn't 'polished' compared to SC hehe.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Galarox posted:

This is fantastic

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
immersion latter.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Happy Sisyphus posted:

are you not in it because you were taking the picture?

I'm not in it cos I forgot to put myself in... Beer is in there twice points for those that can spot him and the various game devs (failed and otherwise) I included.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

lazorexplosion posted:

They've taken an engine that was never really designed for the task they're using it for and was kinda difficult to use even for what it was supposed to do and on top of that they've crammed in ambitious new tech (localized physics grids!) on a schedule set by a guy who makes ridiculous feature promises that clearly show he has no idea of the scale of any of these undertakings. This will almost certainly push a lot of jank into your codebase even if you have the best of coders. And once you start putting enough jank in everything you do breaks other things unpredictably and you constantly need to redo those broken things and even if you wanted to go back and fix this thing or that thing there are now a whole bunch of hacky workarounds that would break because they were made a certain way to work with the initial hackjob and your boss won't let you redo that much stuff because deadlines so the only choice is to pile another hacky workaround on top. And soon the whole edifice is an exercise in shoveling poo poo up a steep hill and even whole teams of competent coders will produce next to nothing.

I like it, sadly it's too long for a thread title.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm pretty happy with Dolvak, Bowtie, and Mathew Lillard making the cut

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Galarox posted:

This is amazing. Also lol at Peter Molyneux and John Romero in the back row.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

ShredsYouSay posted:

This is amazing. Also lol at Peter Molyneux and John Romero in the back row.

I cannot be more honored than to be photoshopped in the same row as my personal hero, John "Deathmatch Daddy" Romero.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sabreseven posted:

This is the trouble on that site, they've gotten so used to all the bullshit that they are having a hard time establishing fiction from reality. The initial guys post meant well, but confusion quickly set in and now they are all running around discussing clothes to buy. :shepspends:

I'm just glad I got a swift post in on the guy who stated that E:D wasn't 'polished' compared to SC hehe.

Apparently, you're wrong. He's not very clear what you're wrong about, but that's par for the course I suppose. :v:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
How about adding the purple gorrila to represent all us cheapskates that have the default avatar pic?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ponzi posted:

How about adding the purple gorrila to represent all us cheapskates that have the default avatar pic?

Yup should have done that too... too late now though. Still waiting on the dev spotting. You've (collectively) got most of them now but a few still remain :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tippis posted:

Apparently, you're wrong. He's not very clear what you're wrong about, but that's par for the course I suppose. :v:

Haha yeah, shitizen logic is being thrown at me over there. :roflolmao:

They'll be defending the ship sales in a second.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Toops posted:

Also, are you named after the functional programming language?

Nope, Eddie. He's the kid I wanted to be when I was a kid. Derek is not old enough to be my uncle. :corsair: Speaking of whom,

D_Smart posted:

That's nothing to do with the resolution though. It's to do with the performance of the rig. Remember, pushing 4K is a massive performance hog in these type of games.
This is quite possible as my framerates have cratered across the board to the point that I'm considering CrossFire (AMD/Radeon fanboi fo lyfe I love my 9370 black edition furnace shut up)

The judder I mentioned only happens when sprinting at a certain type of jagged hilly terrain that is impossible to precisely describe without making a youtube video though. Which I might actually do at some point because the oddities of interacting with water I've encountered are much easier to show than to explain. I am aware that water is mostly 'just there' and not being worked on at the moment.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

So, how do you actually gather the resources?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I cannot be more honored than to be photoshopped in the same row as my personal hero, John "Deathmatch Daddy" Romero.

who's next to you though?

...it's not lowtax is it? :ohdear:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Galarox posted:

Yup should have done that too... too late now though. Still waiting on the dev spotting. You've (collectively) got most of them now but a few still remain :)

I can see David Braben

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
gently caress I didn't notice the airhorns until now

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

For me being five spaces from John Romero is more important than being next to Dick 'yanka.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ponzi posted:

I can see David Braben

Also Wingman

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ponzi posted:

I can see David Braben

POINTS!

Also POINTS!

Galarox fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 20, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Samizdata posted:

So, how do you actually gather the resources?

Shoot laser. Send collector bots.

Or better yet, don't do that, since it'll melt your brain from boredom — just shoot pirates instead.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It is :)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

No, you see, he only has one ship ($200) and sold the rest for a "not insignificant" amount. lol

All those resold whale ships must be worth billions.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ponzi posted:

I can see David Braben

I see Croberts and Ben. Oh wait, we are trying to spot actual developers. Nevermind.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6472925/#Comment_6472925

"This is a money grab plain and simple. A money grab from a company that was handed 110 million dollars"

:allears:

Ahahahah @ Buck Rogers Hawk compo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sabreseven posted:

Haha yeah, shitizen logic is being thrown at me over there. :roflolmao:

They'll be defending the ship sales in a second.

You're wrong because you compared SC to ED despite your post being a response to someone making up poo poo about ED's state and comparing it to SC. :psyduck:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

When I read up, the general consensus was DDR4 is diminishing returns and wasn't worth the price (this was about 6 mo ago). Thoughts?

IDK, if you wanna move onto Haswell-E or Skylake, there's not really anything you can do about it.
It's DDR4 or stick to 4xxx CPUs. So a kinda moot discussion, no?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

You're wrong because you compared SC to ED despite your post being a response to someone making up poo poo about ED's state and comparing it to SC. :psyduck:

:thumbsup: Now it aaaall makes sense.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Who is this guy next to Ben and how long did he last?

Ben Lite?
Benling?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Unfunny Poster posted:

Hehe I know, it's funny how they can rip into E:D with such ease, even though it's pretty much five years ahead of SC already. They can't handle it when someone points out the obvious flaw in their logic so desend into claiming E:D with all it's similar features (yet working) is 'not comparable' :shrug:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Oh?

Guess I hadnt realized the shrink since 2.1...

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Galarox posted:

neat

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Prop Wash posted:

That person is right but the thread is entertaining
Very. The thing that leapt out at me was

quote:

Now as we already know clothes exist we know that the social "norms" of society in the year 2943 are not all that dissimilar to now.
So really, social norms of 1089 AD must have been about the same as now, right?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Galarox posted:

:eyepop:

This is glorious

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

orcinus posted:

Ben Lite?
Benling?

Some sort of Ben clone, obviously not incubated enough to grow to it's full size. :stonk:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

We've had to replace top senior-level devs with junior guys/gals, and we're not "allowed" to re-write one of the flagship products because management firmly believes that no one has ever successfully re-written a piece of software.

Things aren't always black and white.
Can't speak for your particular company and poduct, but at the one i work for, i was on the opposite side of the table with a similar premise. A junior dev managed to talk the owner into One Rewrite To Rule Them All while i was away. Then the madness spread to others.

By the time i got there, they've convinced themselves it's 3 months of work between 3 people, using 5 different frameworks. The issue being that just one of those people spent 1 year hammering out all the bugs and edge cases out of just the mobile component (that uses the readily available, old API and backend). And the issue being that there's no framework out there that would make some of the stuff we do easier than coding it from scratch. Not to mention the fact we've got a roadmap of new features for the next year already laid out and paid for by some of our clients.

I talked them out of it, but it took a while and i threw the towel in at the end. Luckily, they snapped out of the MUST REWRITE daze by day three.

Oh, and the junior dev who started it? He left the company a month later. We weren't "exciting enough".

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

It seems to me that most of the day-to-day grunt work is being done by junior-level hacks, hence the Port Olisar rings.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Galarox posted:

:shittypop: Omg, both Leonard and I made it in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

:words:

Oh, and the junior dev who started it? He left the company a month later. We weren't "exciting enough".

It's the dirty secret of software (and definitely games) development: the production part that gets you paid isn't all that exciting. Kind of applies to any creative process.

• Locked thread