Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Woah, turned Opportunities on for the second tutorial after my first run through just to see how it worked, and it literally plays the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Junkenstein posted:

Woah, turned Opportunities on for the second tutorial after my first run through just to see how it worked, and it literally plays the game for you.

You can choose what level of input they give though which i think is the smart move. For people new to hitman who want the game to guide them, it's very useful. I tend to use them to locate stuff needed for the kill and then turn them off since I don't want my hand held for the whole thing but wandering lost around the map looking for one specific item is boring.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, this game runs perfectly when it's on "ultra" graphic settings, online it will crash on certain parts or the France level. Is there a fix for this? As far as I can tell, the graphics aren't any better than 2013's.

UrbicaMortis posted:

You can choose what level of input they give though which i think is the smart move. For people new to hitman who want the game to guide them, it's very useful. I tend to use them to locate stuff needed for the kill and then turn them off since I don't want my hand held for the whole thing but wandering lost around the map looking for one specific item is boring.

I had to wander a lot in Blood Money looking for stuff, so I think it's a pretty good idea. Still turned the hints off, though. The context clues within the game itself are pretty blatant already.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Remember how older games would expend all of their effort making the first level really awesome because it would be used as the demo and then the rest of the game would loving suck?

We must have been playing different games. Or you're talking about Hitman Absolution's Hope mission.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

nickmeister posted:

So, this game runs perfectly when it's on "ultra" graphic settings, online it will crash on certain parts or the France level. Is there a fix for this? As far as I can tell, the graphics aren't any better than 2013's.

Are you on Dx12?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It just occurred to me that Paris doesn't have any French people.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It just occurred to me that Paris doesn't have any French people.

In contracts mode, it gives you the name of the random people you can target and a lot of them are French names. I guess 47 is multilingual and translates French in his head into American accents.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Turin Turambar posted:

Are you on Dx12?

idk

Also, what's with the poison just making people vomit for a long time? How can I get the poison to actually kill?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

nickmeister posted:

idk

Also, what's with the poison just making people vomit for a long time? How can I get the poison to actually kill?
Dress up as Helmut and meet with Dahlia, she gives you cyanide. Alternatively I think using the lethal syringe may count too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Go to settings in the launcher, and check it. Switch to dx11 if you are in 12.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Accordion Man posted:

Dress up as Helmut and meet with Dahlia, she gives you cyanide. Alternatively I think using the lethal syringe may count too.

You can't use the lethal syringe on food/drinks though. It's preety much nerfed from Blood Money and is just a lovely fiber wire alternative.

The only thing you can use to contaiminate food/drinks that you have in your inventory at the get-go is the sedative vial.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Extreme0 posted:

You can't use the lethal syringe on food/drinks though. It's preety much nerfed from Blood Money and is just a lovely fiber wire alternative.

The only thing you can use to contaiminate food/drinks that you have in your inventory at the get-go is the sedative vial.

And even that is pretty bad, since it just drops the victim right down, ready to be woken up again immediately. Can't find a good use for it except as a poor distraction.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Yeah, I get they wanted to encourage exploration but I'd prefer if they returned to being able to poison food/drink with the syringes you can carry around. I think it added some fun flexibility.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Plus it makes no sense to have to procure your own poison on site instead of being able to bring it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mierenneuker posted:

There's also the other target turning around to ask again if you want something to drink, ruining the day of everybody who pulled out the fiber wire right after he walked away from you.

It's even worse because it takes at least 3 minutes go from that bathroom to the ship where he holds office. Your guns are also removed just before entering. Hope you saved!

Hahaha, yeah I forgot to save right before that part a while back and I forgot completely about the bullshit part where he turns around, and then it made me uninstall the game from my hard drive and not play it for a while. That was like a year or more ago, I just today reinstalled it to play some more.

e: Also how do the gas heaters in Hitman '16 work? Do you have to shoot them or do they only work if someone smokes near them?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

fleshweasel posted:

Plus it makes no sense to have to procure your own poison on site instead of being able to bring it.
The two big changes from Blood Money to Absolution were an extreme tightening of levels (it felt more like Alpha Protocol than Hitmans past) and on-site procurement / Macgyvering. The new game drops one change and keeps the other. You can think of the kills, mechanically, like doors in a puzzle game - the old Hitmans gave most of keys to most of the doors at the beginning of the level and the challenge was to find ways to use the keys without being noticed.

The challenge of the new Hitmans is more conventional - find the key then find the door, everything else is rather straightforward. It's a waypoint system that they spell out for you, even. The way that disguises are approached hasn't fundamentally changed, but it feels less improvisational - the old games gave you some obvious marks for disguise procurement but left your options open, the new games feel more restrictive, mainly because NPC volumes are so much more dense and the stragglers stick out.

In any case, adding hoops to jump through for things you used to be able to do effortlessly is by far the easiest way to add padding to a level. On the other hand it also assuages the anxiety of developers / publishers who created a lot of optional content and scenes that players wouldn't necessarily see if they weren't required to follow leads or go certain places before they could accomplish their objectives.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 20, 2016

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

King Vidiot posted:

e: Also how do the gas heaters in Hitman '16 work? Do you have to shoot them or do they only work if someone smokes near them?

Both, plus generators.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

the new games feel more restrictive, mainly because NPC volumes are so much more dense and the stragglers stick out.

Just finished Absolution (haven't played the newest iteration yet) and this is spot on. Blackwater Park was absolutely dumbfounding. When you start you have access to exactly zero throwables that are outside of restricted areas and no disguises other than the guards that number close to 30 or 40 in the area. There isn't even an alternate route either. If you go around back you climb through a vent and go up a stairwell that's exactly 10 feet from the lobby you had access to from the get-go.

I'm a poor turd so I'm probably just going to wait for the new one to come on sale. Is Contracts worth it while I wait? I remember hearing mixed reviews about it back in the day and skipped it.

I guess while I'm talking about Absolution: I still don't get why 47 is trying to do the things he is on well over half of the missions. Even the poignant portions of the game have you making sweet kills on characters who are afterthoughts and literally never mattered. I guess I'm like 4 years late to this hate-train though.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 20, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I tried contracts a few times and while it's a cool concept on paper, it's rather artless in practice. Trying to kill someone with cyanide when they have no apparent AI routines at all except standing around in a well-guarded hallway isn't terribly fun.

I think Contracts would be much more effective if there were variations in how you get through restricted areas, changing who's allowed to be where. But that wouldn't make any sense and the whole point of Contracts is to squeeze what variety you can out of content that doesn't actually change.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 21, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SirDan3k posted:

Also good luck having some shmuck not walk off the ice or whatever the hell kept happening in that map and ruin your Silent Assassin rank.

That's usually someone you knocked out at the start waking up and sounding an alert- or one of the guards getting hit by the explosion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

fennesz posted:

I guess while I'm talking about Absolution: I still don't get why 47 is trying to do the things he is on well over half of the missions. Even the poignant portions of the game have you making sweet kills on characters who are afterthoughts and literally never mattered. I guess I'm like 4 years late to this hate-train though.

Here's the thing about Absolution: It's really clear that someone high up really wanted another Kane and Lynch game (possibly at Eidos - apparently they were the ones that pushed for K&L 2), but K&L 2 got terrible reviews and sold poorly so they couldn't justify it to the other execs. Rather than give up the series they decided "hey, let's take our actually POPULAR franchise and just write that like a Kane and Lynch game!" So they ended up making a decent stealth game that makes absolutely no sense as a part of the Hitman franchise. 47 just doesn't fit tonally with a gritty, grindhouse revenge plot; he's a character that poisons diplomats at high class parties. He doesn't strangle pimps in crack dens.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Here's the thing about Absolution: It's really clear that someone high up really wanted another Kane and Lynch game (possibly at Eidos - apparently they were the ones that pushed for K&L 2), but K&L 2 got terrible reviews and sold poorly so they couldn't justify it to the other execs. Rather than give up the series they decided "hey, let's take our actually POPULAR franchise and just write that like a Kane and Lynch game!" So they ended up making a decent stealth game that makes absolutely no sense as a part of the Hitman franchise. 47 just doesn't fit tonally with a gritty, grindhouse revenge plot; he's a character that poisons diplomats at high class parties. He doesn't strangle pimps in crack dens.
Kane and Lynch are even in Absolution, so this is a plausible theory.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One of Blood Money's post-mission papers mentions a jailbreak featuring two characters who are obviously Kane & Lynch but aren't named as such.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Uh, neither do Kane and Lynch. Like I don't like Absolution OR Kane and Lynch, but Absolution is absolutely not a Kane and Lynch game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The more detailed the story in a Hitman game, the less good it is. There shouldn't be any plot at all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The more detailed the story in a Hitman game, the less good it is. There shouldn't be any plot at all.

The Paris level had a good mix of both. In one hand it felt like a normal sandbox assassination like most of the Hitman BM levels where you don't feel oppressed by the whims of the contrived central plot like in Absolution, but at the same time it had a much more elaborate backstory of the targets and how it's integrated in what it seems a bigger arc

-The origins and personality of both Viktor and Dalia are well established as well their business relationship.
-How the secret spy list was sold by Viktor to the... future assassin nemesis? in exchange of the work of killing the Russian FSB agent (the apparent suicide), it ties up with the actual scenario thanks to the secret meeting between Viktor and the other Russian agent.
-It's also established they are secretly selling the list in the auction with "exclusive rights" without saying it was already sold to another party
-At the same time, the cutscene indicates the bad guy leaked info to the ICA agency once he got the list, that way he ensures the list isn't sold to anyone else (so only him will have it) AND Viktor is killed, silencing the only person who knows he has it. That's pretty smart.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

He doesn't strangle pimps in crack dens.

Of course not, he drops chandeliers on pimps in crack dens. I mean they give you the remote explosive right before why wouldn't you use it?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

The Cheshire Cat posted:

He doesn't strangle pimps in crack dens.

I remember before the first Absolution patch, you cold strangle the strip club owner inside the private booth, right in front of the stripper giving him a dance. She would just stop dancing and slowly wander out of the booth. Hilarious.

Rookersh posted:

Uh, neither do Kane and Lynch. Like I don't like Absolution OR Kane and Lynch, but Absolution is absolutely not a Kane and Lynch game.

It's bizarre to think, but 47 has more moral scruples than Kane and Lynch. That held the game back.

Also, Absolution was designed like a run of the mill 3rd person stealth game, but they added in too many NPC guards as a way to make up for the disguise mechanic. Of course, all the disguises do is make your "detection" meter fill up more slowly. Why are there five heavily armed guards in a dead end hallway with cardboard boxes? Because it's hard mode, that's why.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Absolution had some great ideas for levels and kills mixed up in a game that was railroading you into playing one way, shame, I'd play a game where they re-did all those levels without the poo poo story and awful disguise system and enemies that weren't just MGS enemies (always moving).

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Is there a way to look at a large map in game? Only using the minimap is a pain.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

nickmeister posted:

Is there a way to look at a large map in game? Only using the minimap is a pain.

It's one of the tabs in the pause menu

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Huh, trying to do the challenge where you get dahlia to check her laptop then snap her neck, but it just doesn't seem to fire when I do this. Anyone else having trouble here?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

ThomasPaine posted:

Huh, trying to do the challenge where you get dahlia to check her laptop then snap her neck, but it just doesn't seem to fire when I do this. Anyone else having trouble here?

This has happened to me a couple of times. I'm not sure what triggers it.

I mean I did get her to go to the laptop three times so it's not entirely screwed up.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Veotax posted:

It's one of the tabs in the pause menu

It's a bit of a pain in the rear end. There's a couple of issues I have with the menu and hotkeys in this game:

1) Weapon selector - it's similar to Blood Money's, but I don't like how it's a full screen thing of item silhouettes rather than 3D models over a blurred background. That's kinda nitpicky though. A bigger issue is that WASD seems to spin the selector, so if I'm running around and hit the button to bring it up, I start spinning through my items immediately. I don't remember any of the prior games having this.

2) The map needs to be on a hotkey rather than hitting F1 and clicking on the tab. Blood Money had this perfect.

3) G key. Using G is fine to dump a weapon in a garbage can, but when it brings up the options to select the item to drop, G turns into the cancel key, and the confirm key is Enter, so I have to move my hand over to hit it. I think (??) I can click to confirm, so maybe this is another dumb nitpick.

4) X for climbing. It's awkward trying to hold a direction key from a pipe and then hit X to jump to that ledge. Similarly, holding X to slide down. Why couldn't this just be another function of use (E)? I've not seen any cases where you're able to open a door while on a ledge, so it's not like there would be a button conflict there. Same goes with vaulting.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

nickmeister posted:

Hit the F1 key (Select/Back button on controllers?), there's a map tab that also lets you flip through the different height levels of the map, as well as hover over target icons to identify who's who.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

That, along with the shoot novikov on stage and the drown dahlia challenge, wouldn't trigger at all for me.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Odobenidae posted:

That, along with the shoot novikov on stage and the drown dahlia challenge, wouldn't trigger at all for me.

Strange, I got both of them. Must have just bugged out, I'll give it another go.

One other thing - does anyone else have problems with some of the images in the menus not loading? All I'm getting for the silverballers and remote bomb and some others is a spinning buffering symbol.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Is pulling fire alarms not the proper way to trigger an evacuation? I'm trying to get both targets in the basement but each alarm only appears to affect NPC's nearby, Viktor doesn't stay down there for very long at all, and Dahlia doesn't even bother to go downstairs. I've managed to trigger lock downs for both at the same time by going on a massacre upstairs then firing on the crowd downstairs but that doesn't resolve the other issues.

ThomasPaine posted:

I had it pop up when I did it but then I then didn't get credit for it at the end.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

J-Spot posted:

Is pulling fire alarms not the proper way to trigger an evacuation? I'm trying to get both targets in the basement but each alarm only appears to affect NPC's nearby, Viktor doesn't stay down there for very long at all, and Dahlia doesn't even bother to go downstairs. I've managed to trigger lock downs for both at the same time by going on a massacre upstairs then firing on the crowd downstairs but that doesn't resolve the other issues.
You need to look at the evac plan on the clipboard in the basement security room and then get rid of Novikov's bodyguard and use his phone to call in for a panic room move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Nah, it's a litle obtuse. You have to go down into the basement and find the evacuation protocols in the security room, then take out Novikov's bodyguard. He'll have a phone you can steal, which you can use to call in an evacuation and have both Victor and Dahlia escorted to the safe room. If you eliminate the bodyguard first it breaks the sequencing and no phone will appear even if you get the protocols after, which is stupid. Bit of an oversight on IO's part I think