Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I love Foggy and want him to get his own spin-off series where he's just sassy at people all day, every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

2x09
The newspaper clipping in the folder on the desk.

Mystery Accident Causes Teen Fatality

16-year old teen died in a single-car crash, in Windler County on Friday, authorities said. The unsolved death of this young man is currently under investigation.

According to a Vermont Highway Patrol report, the young man, Kevin Paxton Paige, of Fagan Corners, veered off the roadway while heading east on Vermont Route 12 from the Hill Road exit ramp off Interstate 89.

For an unknown reason, Page's vehicle went through a chain-link fence and ran into an embankment on the north shoulder at about 1:40 pm.

Vermont Highway Patrol found Page dead at the scene. His body was taken to Windler Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The young man's death as well as the cause of the accident remains under investigation.

Fun Trivia: The rest of the article is text from War of the Worlds. The text above the picture is from Moby Dick.

Karen sobs and asks if they read it. Ellison responds he and Ben both read it and didn't care. Ben must've found something linking to her, because that's pretty loving cold to say you don't care her little brother died in a car accident.

More Fun Trivia: In the comics Paxton Page is Karen Page's father aka Death's Head and the obituary on the right of the article mentions a Penelope which is Karen's mother.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Newspaper Clipping speculation: I think the implication is that Karen was responsible for his death, was driving the car or something.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Didn't Karen kill someone in self defence/premeditated?

Djarum posted:

So late episode question/theory.

The redhead working for the hand is Typhoid Mary? IMDB has the name as "Tyler" which doesn't match anyone I know of being in the Hand.

I had no idea about this. I just thought they were just setting up a soulless ginger joke. :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Heathen posted:

2x09
The newspaper clipping in the folder on the desk.

Mystery Accident Causes Teen Fatality

16-year old teen died in a single-car crash, in Windler County on Friday, authorities said. The unsolved death of this young man is currently under investigation.

According to a Vermont Highway Patrol report, the young man, Kevin Paxton Paige, of Fagan Corners, veered off the roadway while heading east on Vermont Route 12 from the Hill Road exit ramp off Interstate 89.

For an unknown reason, Page's vehicle went through a chain-link fence and ran into an embankment on the north shoulder at about 1:40 pm.

Vermont Highway Patrol found Page dead at the scene. His body was taken to Windler Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The young man's death as well as the cause of the accident remains under investigation.

Fun Trivia: The rest of the article is text from War of the Worlds. The text above the picture is from Moby Dick.

Karen sobs and asks if they read it. Ellison responds he and Ben both read it and didn't care. Ben must've found something linking to her, because that's pretty loving cold to say you don't care her little brother died in a car accident.

More Fun Trivia: In the comics Paxton Page is Karen Page's father aka Death's Head and the obituary on the right of the article mentions a Penelope which is Karen's mother.

Seems unlikely, yes?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Disharmony posted:

Is this show really this grainy and noisy? It can't be my connection because House of Cards and Better Call Saul looks absolutely stunning.
I think your TV is calibrated poorly. Daredevil punishes TVs that haven't been calibrated, mainly due to how darkly it's shot. Go to TFT Central or Flatpanels and apply their calibration profile to your TV. It's what I always do and it makes a world of difference.

When I got my new TV, I literally couldn't see anything of Daredevil season 1 on it, until I calibrated it (using Flatpanels' profile).

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 20, 2016

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I've noticed some extra picture noise on both Daredevil and House of Cards. It looks intentional so I assume it might be something to hide compression artifacts.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I watched in 4K, so it'd have to be something that's only specific to some scenes rather than something general, if that's the case. Generally, the whole season was pretty crisp.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I watched the first two episodes of Season 2 of Daredevil so far so good but something made me chuckle that both episodes end with roof top fight, only the 2nd time more guns firing at them. I hope each episode ends with more and more challenges while they fight.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, just finished the last episode and I have to say, I kind of didn't care for Elektra. A character that is introduced midway through the season, doesn't interact with anybody but Matt and with whom even he only really had a very superficial relationship is not something you can really build the emotional foundation of your series on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
9 episodes in and it's pretty good so far. I was very happy to see the reveal of Fisk at the end of what I thought was the worst episode. Also glad that I'm not the only one who could have done with less Ninja poo poo. The big hole and Stick seemed really out of place thematically.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kal-L posted:

Why are you so afraid of a big, strong, black MCU series about a superfly dude? :v:

Also, the second season of Luke Cage AND Iron Fist has to be named "Luke Cage and Iron Fist". :colbert:

I would love if after Defenders they did a Heroes for Hire series.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Goddammit, showrunners, that is not how you use a pair of sai!

Also, did they just kinda write out the radar sense? It seems like if Matt can't hear anything, he gets his rear end handed to him, yet he can still climb and jump and all that.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 20, 2016

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I'll just say after finishing the entire season that I'm so glad that Clancy Brown continued his streak of being evil characters in comic book adaptations. I was a bit worried after his initial testimony, I should have known better that he'd be back down the line to remind us that he is always and forever will be an rear end in a top hat in any comic book related media.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

Didn't Karen kill someone in self defence/premeditated?

I had no idea about this. I just thought they were just setting up a soulless ginger joke. :v:

In Season 1, yes. She shot and killed Wesley, Fisk's first assistant/lawyer-type.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apoplexy posted:

EXCELLENT season. Matt never killed anybody in the most literal sense because the undead/re-living ninjas could just resurrect like Nobu does after he's hucked from the building top.

So in true comic book style, Intent never matters, just whether you're able to use a loophole to keep the letter of your code intact.

Though ironically, that's a pretty big no-no in Catholic thinking so Daredevil should still be guilty as hell.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall season opinion
Overall i think it was a very good season, even better than the first one, but I had a few annoyances.

Elektra as a character was not that interesting (just like in the comics), and there was zero chemistry between her and Matt, they didn't work together in any way.

It is a shame that Foggy once again has to be the bad guy. He doesn't get much screen time, and when he does half of it is whining about Matt.
It feels like the character is a huge hypocrite considering that Matt is shown to be the one that is constantly convincing him to do good things, like leaving the evil law firm or helping Karen as a client

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Continuing to chew through the episodes and have a bit of a rant.

Can Elektra please gently caress off and go away? The actress is very good in her role, but is Elektra really meant to come across as a shallow, utterly unlikeable psychopath who does her damned best to take over the story the moment she comes in while offering nothing interesting of her own and distracting from the excellent Punisher storyline?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Oasx posted:

Overall season opinion
Overall i think it was a very good season, even better than the first one, but I had a few annoyances.

Elektra as a character was not that interesting (just like in the comics), and there was zero chemistry between her and Matt, they didn't work together in any way.

It is a shame that Foggy once again has to be the bad guy. He doesn't get much screen time, and when he does half of it is whining about Matt.
It feels like the character is a huge hypocrite considering that Matt is shown to be the one that is constantly convincing him to do good things, like leaving the evil law firm or helping Karen as a client

About Foggy this season I don't think he was portrayed as the bad guy at all. He is one hundred percent in the right in being pissed off at how flighty Matt is and how he's been left hanging. We know Matt is going through some rough poo poo, Foggy knows peripherally that's the case, but it's pretty explicitly said by Matt that he's going to choose the vigilante lifestyle over the firm. For Foggy, he's being abandoned by his best friend, while said friend is acting very very dangerously. I think the show does a good job of showing how destructive Matt is in all of his relationships.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

cool kids inc. posted:

About Foggy this season I don't think he was portrayed as the bad guy at all. He is one hundred percent in the right in being pissed off at how flighty Matt is and how he's been left hanging. We know Matt is going through some rough poo poo, Foggy knows peripherally that's the case, but it's pretty explicitly said by Matt that he's going to choose the vigilante lifestyle over the firm. For Foggy, he's being abandoned by his best friend, while said friend is acting very very dangerously. I think the show does a good job of showing how destructive Matt is in all of his relationships.

:agreed: If Matt treats his friends like poo poo then he's going to lose them, and rightfully so. I'm on Team Foggy 100%.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm finding this show a lot more immersive now that I mentally substitute "Gotham City" for "rapidly gentrifying neighborhood in Manhattan."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Like it or love it, the one thing you can't deny about this season is that every character loves coffee. Seriously, every scene, "I brought you coffee" "How do you like your coffee" "I'm going to need more coffee"

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I thought it was solid.

Finale Stuff on Elektra

Does it seem like they really badly want to continue on the comic book progress and have the whole "Elektra is revived as an enemy" thing, since that ending sequence and her manner of death are pretty much carbon copied of the comic. I'm sort of surprised gossip news outlets aren't already talking about how she'll be brought back whenever the Hand comes up again.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Medullah posted:

Like it or love it, the one thing you can't deny about this season is that every character loves coffee. Seriously, every scene, "I brought you coffee" "How do you like your coffee" "I'm going to need more coffee"

We need more mormons in this to break it up with hot chocolate

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Vincent D'onofrio is doing the acting of his career on Daredevil. Every scene he's in he dominates. I was cheering him on when he flipped out at Matt Murdock in that jail cell. No wonder why Jon Bernthal calls him his hero.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel kind of alone in that I went in not expecting to like Elektra and I ended up really enjoying the character. Elodie Yung does a great job.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrAristocrates posted:

I feel kind of alone in that I went in not expecting to like Elektra and I ended up really enjoying the character. Elodie Yung does a great job.

I think the actress is fine, it's just that she doesn't show up for a third of the season, and the plot arc that did happen during that third of the season is still around through the finale.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really liked Elektra, too. I also enjoyed all the hand stuff, so these complaints are weird to me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

Me too. I don't think they give her enough characterization like Punisher but I think Elodie Yung did a great job with what she had. Like after that one fight scene she gleefully asks "So, hungry?!". This is a person who loves violence.

Also I would not be surprised in the least if Jon Bernthal got a netflix Punisher series. He can clearly carry a series. Infact, I hope he does.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Whoops.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm finding this show a lot more immersive now that I mentally substitute "Gotham City" for "rapidly gentrifying neighborhood in Manhattan."

I think you mean "Hell's Kitchen" and "Hell's Kitchen", respectively.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cool kids inc. posted:

I understand Foggy's frustrations at Matt neglecting his day job, and Foggy's worry about Matt ending up dead. But the problem is that Foggy is acting like a bit of an rear end in a top hat, when clearly there is a need for Daredevil.
I am not quite sure how many people are supposed to live in the Hell's Kitchen, but as i understand it, it is just a small neighbourhood in New York, but it is one that has two large mystical asian gangs/cults, one where the organised crime resembles the military and where half the cops were being paid off by crime lords until recently.
The idea that Matt is just dressing up in a costume for the fun of it, and that he should just let the police handle matter is insane. Foggy watches the news and helped uncover the Wilson Fisk thing, he knows that he is living in an extremely hosed up neighbourhood, and that Matt is risking his life to save everybody.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Done bingewatching and well, this is about as good as television gets. Didn't mind Elektra as a character but the whole Hand plot felt a little out of place in a show that's otherwise quite grounded. All of the character development felt earned and the whole season was better paced than both season 1 and JJ.

Really looking forward to Luke Cage!

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Me too. I don't think they give her enough characterization like Punisher but I think Elodie Yung did a great job with what she had. Like after that one fight scene she gleefully asks "So, hungry?!". This is a person who loves violence.

Also I would not be surprised in the least if Jon Bernthal got a netflix Punisher series. He can clearly carry a series. Infact, I hope he does.
I liked Elektra a lot, too. I just hope that in the future her characterization expands beyond her interactions with the men in her lives.

The Punisher has a huge advantage, though. Sad to say that fridging wives and daughters is a tried and true method of giving a male anti-hero pathos.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

GLOSS posted:

I'll just say after finishing the entire season that I'm so glad that Clancy Brown continued his streak of being evil characters in comic book adaptations. I was a bit worried after his initial testimony, I should have known better that he'd be back down the line to remind us that he is always and forever will be an rear end in a top hat in any comic book related media.
I was disappointed that he wasn't the CEO of Roxxon or one of the 10000 other evil corps in the Marvel universe (I do like how Roxxon is the one consistent factor in all the MCU since it has showed up in every TV show and in the movies), but rear end in a top hat general/soldier man Clancy Brown is just as good as evil CEO Clancy Brown

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

achillesforever6 posted:

I was disappointed that he wasn't the CEO of Roxxon or one of the 10000 other evil corps in the Marvel universe (I do like how Roxxon is the one consistent factor in all the MCU since it has showed up in every TV show and in the movies), but rear end in a top hat general/soldier man Clancy Brown is just as good as evil CEO Clancy Brown

I actually Really liked this turn of events for the Punisher origin. It's a much better story than the initial Punisher origin and the recent films which was just some person taking revenge( also completely over the top that they killed every member of his family) So having it be tied in and have some sort of "more than just revenge" ,but revenge mixed with guilt is a lot better.

In the Marvel Comics Punisher's origin for at least Garth Ennis's run was that A. He was always a psychopath B. He used his family's deaths which he could have prevented to start a never ending war.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

10 Beers posted:

Goddammit, showrunners, that is not how you use a pair of sai!

Also, did they just kinda write out the radar sense? It seems like if Matt can't hear anything, he gets his rear end handed to him, yet he can still climb and jump and all that.
I was almost surprised when they finally gave Elektra the sais, because it's such a signature of her character in the comics as far back as I can remember and it just wasn't there for most of the season. It was kind of jarring to see her finally get her hands on a pair and then never let them out of her hands again.

computer parts posted:

So in true comic book style, Intent never matters, just whether you're able to use a loophole to keep the letter of your code intact.

Though ironically, that's a pretty big no-no in Catholic thinking so Daredevil should still be guilty as hell.

He's Catholic, all he is, is "guilty as hell". He probably throws out 3 hail marys every time he forgets to tie his shoelaces.

Cythereal posted:

Can Elektra please gently caress off and go away? The actress is very good in her role, but is Elektra really meant to come across as a shallow, utterly unlikeable psychopath who does her damned best to take over the story the moment she comes in while offering nothing interesting of her own and distracting from the excellent Punisher storyline?
Yes.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 20, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Medullah posted:

Episode 13 spoiler I can't believe that they showed him finding a freaking minigun, followed by Matt and Elektra wondering how they were going to survive a wave of 100 ninjas and instead of Frank mowing down ninjas with the minigun he snipes a few and the gives him the Steve Buscemi from Billy Madison wave.

Yeah, what the heck was that all about? I've never been more let down by a show, ever. The whole Hand / Black Sky thing dragged the entire show down, but if they had done what you said everything would have been forgiven. Now everything after episode 9 felt like a waste of time. On short, everything with the Punisher and Fisk was great, but everything else with the ninjas and holes in the ground was a disappointment. I did enjoy all scenes with Stick, though. Lovable old murderous rear end in a top hat.

By the way, did they ever explain what was up with the giant hole in the ground?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mars4523 posted:

The Punisher has a huge advantage, though. Sad to say that fridging wives and daughters is a tried and true method of giving a male anti-hero pathos.

Because the trope works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I aksed before but did I miss something because SEason 2 The Preview for Daredevil show I want to insist showed Castle wearing his costume and using the mini gun