Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
if there is any loving to go around its gently caress duke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
What a terrible offensive sequence wtf. gently caress notre dame

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
this is bullshit they jobbed out steve austin

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MourningView posted:

What a dick for being happy after making a huge play

this but unironically

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MourningView posted:

What a dick for being happy after making a huge play

yep, gently caress notre dame forever

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Chaos is no longer reigning. Go Blue Raiders, Rainbows Bitch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

Tip for getting into position for a put back: shove the guy in front of you out of the way
i hear ya but I would've been shocked if they called a foul with 8 ppl around the basket all fighting

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Quest For Glory II posted:

someone beat wisconsin at least

Amen

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

NickRoweFillea posted:

this is bullshit they jobbed out steve austin

To hornswoggle of all people!

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
another BORING ending when can the good teams win and not thed umb teams

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

okay well boomer sooner time

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Notre Dame’s coach is a slimy dbag if I ever saw one. If you’re a SFA fan that is particularly heart-breaking because your coach is for sure getting hired by a bigger school this offseason.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

Eltoasto posted:

Tip for getting into position for a put back: shove the guy in front of you out of the way

Seriously 3 on ND just shoves 11 on SFA straight out the way. Idk about the dude who got the tip in

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Eltoasto posted:

Thanks refs, would have hated to see the underdog win

Yep, but is it really a surprise?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

To be fair sometimes this is a good thing that shouldn't be called.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Det made the point a couple of years ago that first round upsets that beat likable teams clear the way for teams like Duke and Notre Dame to be successful.

I can't help but wonder if he was right.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Democrazy posted:

Det made the point a couple of years ago that first round upsets that beat likable teams clear the way for teams like Duke and Notre Dame to be successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament#Midwest_Regional_-_Detroit.2C_Michigan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament#West_Regional_.E2.80.93_Phoenix.2C_Arizona
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament#Final_Four_.E2.80.93_Alamodome.2C_San_Antonio.2C_Texas

it's not a mystery

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Democrazy posted:

This is true but let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that West Virginia is a likable team.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Everyone ready for a Kansas Duke UNC UVa Final Four???

Bring back the chaos. This chalk poo poo is awful.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Democrazy posted:

No because a) white dude on Mercer hitting the Nae-Nae a couple years ago and b) the underdogs lose out either here or next weekend and the blue bloods are the ones who usually make it to the Final 4 regardless.

Embrace chaos, because tournament going chalk aren't going to stop the blue bloods regardless.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Democrazy posted:

Yeah but it's always some lame rear end team that wins. I don't care who wins. The first few rounds are the most interesting and I don't care past the sweet 16 most of the time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah but it's always some lame rear end team that wins. I don't care who wins. The first few rounds are the most interesting and I don't care past the sweet 16 most of the time.

Same, I usually quit watching when all the cool small conference teams with dope fat dudes and beard dudes and goggle dudes lose

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mike Brey is a douche

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

The Casual Basketball fan feels this way. The difference is you will have Michigan State and Kentucky fans glued to the screen for the rest of the tournament, you can bet on it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

Mike Brey is a douche

Lmao he just admitted an over the back should have been called

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aggro posted:

Everyone ready for a Kansas Duke UNC UVa Final Four???

Bring back the chaos. This chalk poo poo is awful.

The first round is the best every year dude. VCU is the only really upset team that went to the Final Four in recent memory.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

After such a great first two days, we're going to have the most uninteresting sweet 16, aren't we?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Stfu Kenny Smith

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The first round is the best every year dude. VCU is the only really upset team that went to the Final Four in recent memory.

it sucks that george mason surrendered the spot as king of the mid majors to VCU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
In all honesty, I don't remember there being as many upsets in the years leading up to this in the first rounds than this year, so it's already something special. Notre Dame-style wins are generally the norm because parity is bullshit in collegiate athletics, no matter how much ESPN trumpets the awesome. It's just even the elite teams are amateurish, but at the end of the day, the talent differential wins out and you get Duke another year.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Alright we need to see an upset finally...GO Rams!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why didn't they call a foul on that rugby scrum under the basket, and award the victory to Stone Cold. gently caress Notre Dame

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

After such a great first two days, we're going to have the most uninteresting sweet 16, aren't we?

There is always, at MOST,, like two or three interesting teams in the S16. Where is it coming from that second round letdowns are some shock?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

Why didn't they call a foul on that rugby scrum under the basket, and award the victory to Stone Cold. gently caress Notre Dame

They let a TON of poo poo go on both sides tbh.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Probably Magic posted:

In all honesty, I don't remember there being as many upsets in the years leading up to this in the first rounds than this year, so it's already something special. Notre Dame-style wins are generally the norm because parity is bullshit in collegiate athletics, no matter how much ESPN trumpets the awesome. It's just even the elite teams are amateurish, but at the end of the day, the talent differential wins out and you get Duke another year.

gently caress p5 schools and their loving money just break off already you pieces of poo poo

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There is always, at MOST,, like two or three interesting teams in the S16. Where is it coming from that second round letdowns are some shock?

Not a shock, just disappointing. Considering the amount of upsets early, I had my hopes up.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Just take solace in the fact that Xavier is going to devour Notre Dame

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wife accidentally bought beer ice cream yummy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

butler went to the chip twice, wichita state 2 or 3 years ago, whenever george mason was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Butler had their back to back final appearances, were a prayer away from beating Duke and had a historically-bad shooting night against UConn. George Mason and VCU as well.

We haven't had a new champion since Florida had their two wins in '06-'07. The past decade has been teams who have already won a title. Of the 1-2 seeds still alive, only Virginia and Xavier haven't won a title. Embrace the chaos early because eventually the elite teams rise above the muck and are the ones battling for a title regardless.

• Locked thread