Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The real problem with estates is that they overwrite autonomy, or at least that's what I've been told by people circumventing the administrative system I've set up in my mod by handing over high tax provinces to the clergy and so on.

Actually, that's probably more an issue with the autonomy system though, which should really be a malus to every single thing a province grants before any other bonuses/maluses are applied. That is, the malus should be multiplicative, where the rest are additive. It's actually quite strange to me that this isn't how it works already, since it seems by far the most intuitive way for it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The real problem with estates is that they overwrite autonomy, or at least that's what I've been told by people circumventing the administrative system I've set up in my mod by handing over high tax provinces to the clergy and so on.

Actually, that's probably more an issue with the autonomy system though, which should really be a malus to every single thing a province grants before any other bonuses/maluses are applied. That is, the malus should be multiplicative, where the rest are additive. It's actually quite strange to me that this isn't how it works already, since it seems by far the most intuitive way for it to work.

That's actually not a problem but a feature. Estates set the minimum authority to 25% but at the same time the autonomy of that province is ignored when calculating their corresponding value (e.g. nobility = manpower, burghers = tradepower).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

That's actually not a problem but a feature. Estates set the minimum authority to 25% but at the same time the autonomy of that province is ignored when calculating their corresponding value (e.g. nobility = manpower, burghers = tradepower).
That's a petty inflexible feature though, that directly undermines another. Given that Mare Nostrum is going to mean a bunch of territory could end up with a minimum autonomy of 75%, the minimum autonomy of 25% isn't going to matter either, but being able to get around that 75% malus for one of the categories certainly will.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, that part makes sense, since if you're effectively handing the entire province over to the nobility (to the exclusion of the clergy and burghers) you should get more of the stuff the nobility grants (manpower) and less of the stuff the clergy and burghers grant (taxes and trade).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's a petty inflexible feature though, that directly undermines another. Given that Mare Nostrum is going to mean a bunch of territory could end up with a minimum autonomy of 75%, the minimum autonomy of 25% isn't going to matter either, but being able to get around that 75% malus for one of the categories certainly will.

You can't give overseas provinces to estates.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Yeah, that part makes sense, since if you're effectively handing the entire province over to the nobility (to the exclusion of the clergy and burghers) you should get more of the stuff the nobility grants (manpower) and less of the stuff the clergy and burghers grant (taxes and trade).
Autonomy implies that you don't actually have full authority in the province in question, meaning you wouldn't be able to hand over the entire province to a single faction. Like, say you have a province with autonomy in the HRE. Going by historical examples, the main city might be run by burghers, except some part of it is run by the clergy, which also controls some land outside the city, while a minor lord controls a minor estate. You wouldn't have the authority to just say "The nobles now run the show in this province", so you'd either have to settle for just handing over the territory which is actually crown land, or piss of the other factions by confiscating their poo poo first.

GaussianCopula posted:

You can't give overseas provinces to estates.
True, if the territories are essentially renamed overseas provinces that concern won't an issue.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Autonomy implies that you don't actually have full authority in the province in question, meaning you wouldn't be able to hand over the entire province to a single faction.

Which is why the other factions aren't entirely eliminated from the province. Their effect is limited to the normal autonomy rating, with a floor of 25%.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Which is why the other factions aren't entirely eliminated from the province. Their effect is limited to the normal autonomy rating, with a floor of 25%.
Being able to get 100% of the manpower/tax/trade power out of a province with autonomy still implies that the estate in question is extending its authority beyond its own borders and into the lands of other groups.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Being able to get 100% of the manpower/tax/trade power out of a province with autonomy still implies that the estate in question is extending its authority beyond its own borders and into the lands of other groups.

Sorry, I'm lost. Is this a problem?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That is how autonomy works. It was a change with I believe 1.17.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I haven't played EU4 with estates at all. What's the new poo poo to look out for if I wanna do a random new world as Denmark?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

With the Random New World, you should be fully prepared for the possibility that New World trade might not come towards your home trade node at all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Sorry, I'm lost. Is this a problem?
It's not really consistent with the autonomy system, where reducing autonomy pisses people off, aside from the fact that it weakens the autonomy system/makes it inconsistent as a source of balance.

Come to think of it, the source of the (as I see it) problem is probably that the two features are kinda modelling the same thing, in different ways. Like, what is autonomy but local estates running poo poo rather than a place being directly governed by the crown? I'm not sure I know an elegant way to combine the two though, but from a realism perspective it would make sense to basically replace autonomy with an estate system entirely. So like, you'd have a Crown Estate, Noble Estate, Clergy Estate, and Burgher Estate (or whatever estates are applicable for your country), all of which together would total 100%. Crown Estates would give you full standard benefits from the province values, while the relative value of manpower/tax/trade power under control of the other estates would increase their influence but not grant you any direct benefit in the province.

YF-23 posted:

That is how autonomy works. It was a change with I believe 1.17.
But that's post-Mare Nostrum? In any case, that doesn't seem to be the case for estates at least.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But that's post-Mare Nostrum? In any case, that doesn't seem to be the case for estates at least.

1.16 was the Cossacks release, 1.17 was the major balancing patch after that. Mare Nostrum will be 1.18.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not really consistent with the autonomy system, where reducing autonomy pisses people off, aside from the fact that it weakens the autonomy system/makes it inconsistent as a source of balance.

Come to think of it, the source of the (as I see it) problem is probably that the two features are kinda modelling the same thing, in different ways. Like, what is autonomy but local estates running poo poo rather than a place being directly governed by the crown? I'm not sure I know an elegant way to combine the two though, but from a realism perspective it would make sense to basically replace autonomy with an estate system entirely. So like, you'd have a Crown Estate, Noble Estate, Clergy Estate, and Burgher Estate (or whatever estates are applicable for your country), all of which together would total 100%. Crown Estates would give you full standard benefits from the province values, while the relative value of manpower/tax/trade power under control of the other estates would increase their influence but not grant you any direct benefit in the province.

In my mind estates are not local institutions but the organized representatives of their class. Giving them authority over a province guarantees you that the local representatives cooperate fully with you, at the expense of everything else.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

1.16 was the Cossacks release, 1.17 was the major balancing patch after that. Mare Nostrum will be 1.18.
As far as I know, those were and will be 1.14, 1.15, and 1.16.

GaussianCopula posted:

In my mind estates are not local institutions but the organized representatives of their class. Giving them authority over a province guarantees you that the local representatives cooperate fully with you, at the expense of everything else.
That's kinda what's missing though. Or perhaps more accurately, it's too strictly defined according to certain values. A 25% autonomy might be all well and good as a malus for a province with no autonomy, but it quickly becomes irrelevant at any other level. Maybe if high autonomy + estates resulted in some negative effects, as the other estates/local rulers are angered by having other people come and tell them what to do with territory that is legally theirs, at the behest of the king, there'd be an actual downside.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

poo poo you're right. I dunno what got me thinking 1.17 was the latest one. Amend what I said to say 1.15 then!

As for estates in theory, I'd treat it as the granting of extra privileges and land to those estates in the specific provinces. So in nobility estates the crown doesn't tax the feudal lords in the province as much and tends to make judicial rulings to their favour over laymen, in burger estates it abolishes monopoly rights or customs taxes, in clergy estate provinces it elevates the importance of ecclesiastical law or grants more land to the church and so on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's kinda what's missing though. Or perhaps more accurately, it's too strictly defined according to certain values. A 25% autonomy might be all well and good as a malus for a province with no autonomy, but it quickly becomes irrelevant at any other level. Maybe if high autonomy + estates resulted in some negative effects, as the other estates/local rulers are angered by having other people come and tell them what to do with territory that is legally theirs, at the behest of the king, there'd be an actual downside.
Raising autonomy means you are giving a piece of the pie back to local leaders. If it happens to be owned by an estate, that estate is already in bed with the central government so there would be no real change to that aspect of governance but the people are still happy with the illusion of self determinism and the extra privileges granted to the non favored estate.

Estates are good but its probably a toe over the line of too much things to do in a 400 year long game. They also expose how garbage some of the at a glance data modes are at communicating important sized differences between provinces and lacking distinctions between modified and base values.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Going by these posts, I am not regretting my decision not to buy any EUIV expansions. Even without them, it's become a Frankenstein game (though still a really good one).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Going by these posts, I am not regretting my decision not to buy any EUIV expansions. Even without them, it's become a Frankenstein game (though still a really good one).

This has become a problem since they moved to their new dlc model with (I guess) CK2 - the games become these disjointed, lumpy messes that feel very incoherent and unwieldy after a few major content additions.
No point complaining about it because it's probably where they make most of their money and it isn't going to change, but personally I think the old expansion pack model of fewer but larger and more coherent additions was better from a gameplay perspective, and probably better value for money for the player.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wish the minimum percentage of provinces given to estates didn't exist (and that there were more than just the usual Burghers / Nobility / Clergy estates). Feels like I'm intentionally gimping my country.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Aww, I wanted to buy the CK2 mousepad since it was just €3.59, but even the cheapest shipping option to Norway triples the total cost. :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Long shot but I'm trying out Warlock2 with the big fan-expansion pack and I'm getting some weird texture seams:

It's worst around the spinning Selected Plane animation in the lower right. But you can also see it on the UI at the top. There's also a lot of issues with icons not looking clean, and fonts being blurry unless I turn off AA in game.

I have no idea if this is a bug with the Renaissance mod or not because if I try to disable it the game just crashes :shrug:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I happened to be skimming through old documents for reasons on my computer and I found the NDA I signed with regards to East vs. West.
It expired last month.

So if anyone still had interest in the development of EvW, stories, or questions, just ask. It's been a very long time, and I've had a lot happen in my life since. I don't have anything but memories at this point, and keep in mind all I did was work on ministers...and eventually sorta lead that department towards the end.

I'll start off by saying I wouldn't have worked on it if I thought it would have been crap, I had ample chances to jump ship. Refining it definitely needed, but back then Paradox still had shaky releases. I didn't agree with all decisions on the game but they weren't mine to make. I still like paradox and support them as a company. I do not hold any conspiracies regarding paradox and using EvW ideas in other games. Can't say the same for teammates though.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 20, 2016

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Were they actually going to include all those ridiculous fan-made ministers and was there controversy about that within the team?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Huh, I thought that expired next year.

Was the cancellation a surprise and was Paradox genuine about releasing the game in early access or whatever before Steam said no?

Who was behind the focus on straits and why did they ever think that deserved a dev diary?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What sort of discussions were there around what seems like the central dilemma of EvW-- the adaption of a game meant to model a huge WW2 between great powers into a game of Cold War politics?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

Were they actually going to include all those ridiculous fan-made ministers and was there controversy about that within the team?

Not exactly.

Any of the weirder ones got the lowest of the low priority for the game to pick them as an option. You had to assasinate a lot of people to get some of the fan-made ones for certain countries. I think when I finished one country, for a particular ideology you had to kill like 20 people to get a fan made one. So, all fan-made ministers took a second seat to historical/real people. If it was outright awful, it never made it in or was scheduled to be removed (I had a LOT on my plate by the time we did fan-made entries). Yes, we/I quietly dumped certain fan-ministers if they didn't win. We voted based on how well written descriptions were along with any extras like photos. Longer stories wasn't better. Oh god the Mary Sue stories I had to read...

Very few photos made it in to the game too. I was in charge of those, and I made an effort to age the photo make it fit in the game more seamlessly. More so than slapping a black and white filter over it. If I couldn't, they weren't going to get in.

Lots of controversy though initially. Everyone kinda calmed down, especially those not in the ministers team, after that whole process was explained.
Oh, yeah, THAT ONE minister everyone cringed over? The "Nazi" "german" in Soviet uniform? He wasn't going to make final release. We all disliked it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Morholt posted:

I like that it's just simple enough that you can reasonably micromanage everything by yourself, and it has enough granularity that every decision becomes important. The game really starts to shine on Normal difficulty and above, since you have more scarcity leading to more interesting decisions each turn.

It's really easy to screw yourself over though. I'd suggest just starting over a few times or looking up a guide until you can reliably get positive income and enough food to feed your workers on normal difficulty, that way you learn to avoid the most common death-spirals.

On the highest difficulty you do need to rely on imports a lot more to super-charge your industry and that can be a bit micromanagey.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

Huh, I thought that expired next year.

Was the cancellation a surprise and was Paradox genuine about releasing the game in early access or whatever before Steam said no?

Who was behind the focus on straits and why did they ever think that deserved a dev diary?

Mine says the obligations of the agreement expire after three years. I signed it in Feb, 2013.

Some people on the team expected a cancellation, but others were hopeful Paradox was going to step in and whip it into shape. It didn't have that much further to go I thought.

The cancellation was surprising either way, I recall waking up to check messages from the team only to read about everyone needing a drink. :(

I wasn't in charge of those, but I recall we needed to delay certain topics. I'm not entirely sure why, but we needed filler.

Empress Theonora posted:

What sort of discussions were there around what seems like the central dilemma of EvW-- the adaption of a game meant to model a huge WW2 between great powers into a game of Cold War politics?

That was probably before I came in. At the point where I came into the team, most of the discussions were over refining what was in the plan or already there. For example, before I came in we had no system in place to prioritize ministers. So the UK might allow people to change which monarch is the Head of State on the fly, back and forth. We locked that ability out too, while I worked there.

I recall lots of discussion over whether or not to model fallout in great detail and such, but plenty of the team liked and I personally pushed for the Shadow President approach. It just wasn't thought to be fun to be forced to quit a game because nuclear winter kills everything.

edit: I have work, but I'll keep answering questions when I can!

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bel Monte posted:

Oh, yeah, THAT ONE minister everyone cringed over? The "Nazi" "german" in Soviet uniform?

wait what

fakeedit: this is going to be even worse than I am imagining, isn't it?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
What was the feedback you guys were getting from whomever was allowed to touch it? Did people like it?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

Some people on the team expected a cancellation, but others were hopeful Paradox was going to step in and whip it into shape. It didn't have that much further to go I thought.

The cancellation was surprising either way, I recall waking up to check messages from the team only to read about everyone needing a drink. :(

I'm going to have to seriously disagree. IIRC a lot of critical things weren't that detailed, like diplomacy and elections, and things like asymmetrical and nuclear warfare weren't in there at all, so I think it had a lot further to go than that. You also had things that made no sense at all, like elections for leadership of NATO that could put Italy or Belgium in charge of the entire alliance.

Paradox weren't up for developing it for another year or more, and it simply wasn't finished enough to whip into shape. I don't think they should ever have let it get to that state, but they did what they had to do in the end. Keep in mind that this was a year after CK II, the first truly solid Paradox release, and they didn't want to lose their new reputation by releasing something that was going to require several expansions to reach quality.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

GSD posted:

wait what

fakeedit: this is going to be even worse than I am imagining, isn't it?

That's I believe when EvW became the laughing stock it is on this forum. And yes. It would only have been worse if he wore a fedora.

Koesj posted:

What was the feedback you guys were getting from whomever was allowed to touch it? Did people like it?

Not many got to play it. Early on, I heard the folks at paradox were pleased with what was there, but were pretty much always disappointed in the progress.

I don't think I saw what any beta testers thought about it. I played it a few times to test things. But play is probably the wrong word. Certain things were turned off while people worked on major stuff and wanted people to report of system XYZ did this or that.

I recall one person (keep in mind it was in alpha) regularly testing the AI was able to stomp all over China because the soldiers kept pacing between the borders of all of mainland China. >_>
That got fixed but then we had trouble where Commie China was no match for a human player Nat China

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bel Monte posted:

That's I believe when EvW became the laughing stock it is on this forum. And yes. It would only have been worse if he wore a fedora.

Not many got to play it. Early on, I heard the folks at paradox were pleased with what was there, but were pretty much always disappointed in the progress.

I don't think I saw what any beta testers thought about it. I played it a few times to test things. But play is probably the wrong word. Certain things were turned off while people worked on major stuff and wanted people to report of system XYZ did this or that.

I recall one person (keep in mind it was in alpha) regularly testing the AI was able to stomp all over China because the soldiers kept pacing between the borders of all of mainland China. >_>
That got fixed but then we had trouble where Commie China was no match for a human player.

What got me about the game is that it didn't feel like it had much of a design direction at all. It didn't seem to be "about" anything at all, it just had a bunch of different things going everywhere.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wasn't one of the successful entries some Communism-obsessed teenager one goon knew IRL? Or did that one mercifully get rejected?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Just redownloaded Victoria 2, which mods have been updated to work with the beta patch from December? I think when I last played Vicky 2 I went with New Nations Mod - basically, I just want something with more countries, more events, and tweaks, rather than NWO or a mod that adds 20 more market goods.

edit: incidentally, where do I find Vicky 2 mods now? It might just be me but I can't work out where the mod section is on the official Pdox forums. Have I been out of the loop for a long time and they've all been moved off-site? wasn't signed in :doh:

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 21, 2016

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
I can't wait til they remake Victoria with Stellaris-style pops and I can move my Jews to harvest industry-mana in the Rhineland.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Wasn't one of the successful entries some Communism-obsessed teenager one goon knew IRL? Or did that one mercifully get rejected?

iirc our very our Gorgo Primus won with a self-entry as a Spanish minister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think Patter Song got in as well.