Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Having a big rear end ring is probably dope as hell, more players should get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

Making a t-shirt to celebrate things owns. Forging your own rings for Sweet-16 runs, however, is pretty weak.

i want a loving parade if they ever make the first loving four

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

you son of a bitch

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

Having a big rear end ring is probably dope as hell, more players should get them.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

you son of a bitch

This is an argument for big rings, though, because it leads to hilarious poo poo like that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I'm down

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Whoa rumor is Pitt coach Dixon is considering taking over the TCU job. Is that a step up?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

No.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

They do have that new arena with a court that looks like an ice rink, so they've got that going for them.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Yes. His sister sacrificed her life to get Army to the NCAA tournament (just like Mutombo's career ending leg breakage got Rockets out of the first round) RIP, Thanks all for supporting my Bball teams with your lives and limbs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Whoa rumor is Pitt coach Dixon is considering taking over the TCU job. Is that a step up?

Pitt seems like it's kinda underachieved recently, are they talking about firing him. Might be an Alford-style thing where he's getting out of town before the posse arrives. Otherwise that makes no sense

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

You gotta give people a heads up on this man.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

MourningView posted:

Pitt seems like it's kinda underachieved recently, are they talking about firing him. Might be an Alford-style thing where he's getting out of town before the posse arrives. Otherwise that makes no sense

He should follow Alford even closer and come to a mountain west program :smith:

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

He should follow Alford even closer and come to a mountain west program :smith:

Then leave and kill a decent Pac-12 program.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What are the rules re: penalties & bonus/double bonus shots? It's the one aspect of the game I keep telling myself I'll learn about and never do and I'm tired of being confused about it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

What are the rules re: penalties & bonus/double bonus shots? It's the one aspect of the game I keep telling myself I'll learn about and never do and I'm tired of being confused about it.

Fouls don't result in free throws unless they are in the act of shooting, so if you bump a cutter or something your team just gets to reset and the player gets a personal. Offensive fouls count towards personal fouls, but not team fouls. Five personal fouls and you are disqualified and cannot play the rest of the game, so often if a guy gets two quick fouls, coaches tend to be hesitant to play them much in the first half.

7th team foul is bonus: every foul results in a one and one (one free throw and if you make it you get a second free throw)
double bonus means that you get two free throw attempts every foul

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 21, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

Making a t-shirt to celebrate things owns. Forging your own rings for Sweet-16 runs, however, is pretty weak.

What if it's your first Sweet 16

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

Fouls don't result in free throws unless they are in the act of shooting, so if you bump a cutter or something your team just gets to reset and the player gets a personal. Offensive fouls count towards personal fouls, but not team fouls. Five personal fouls and you are disqualified and cannot play the rest of the game, so often if a guy gets two quick fouls, coaches tend to be hesitant to play them much in the first half.

7th team foul is bonus: every foul results in a one and one (one free throw and if you make it you get a second free throw)
double bonus means that you get two free throw attempts every foul

So only defensive fouls count toward team fouls? Edit: and I take it double bonus = 14 team fouls?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FartingBedpost posted:

Then leave and kill a decent Pac-12 program.

It's still really funny that UCLA got mad at a coach who made multiple final fours and their solution was Steve loving Alford

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

So only defensive fouls count toward team fouls? Edit: and I take it double bonus = 14 team fouls?

Double Bonus is 10

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
northern iowa only showing up for important games to keep that giantkiller cache

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Speaking of Alford, he has returned the one year extension he got after the 13-14 season. Too bad that won't make anyone like him any more.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

kindermord posted:

northern iowa only showing up for important games to keep that giantkiller cache

This was intended as a gdt thread shitpost when there was litterally a 99.99% chance UNI would win but

:lol:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Wisconsin, who had been left for dead in January in a snowy ditch off of I-90 on the way back from Evanston, is now going to the Sweet Sixteen for the 5th time in 6 years. The personal kicker is I'm watching the Notre Dame game in Ireland.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The absolute moral of the first two rounds, between teams giving up long inbound passes for layups that seal the deal to that UNI debacle is, Defend the loving inbound.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

MourningView posted:

It's still really funny that UCLA got mad at a coach who made multiple final fours and their solution was Steve loving Alford

Anyone who looked at his NCAA history could've seen either early disappointment or complete collapse of the team. And that's just tournament stats.

OctoberBlues posted:

Speaking of Alford, he has returned the one year extension he got after the 13-14 season. Too bad that won't make anyone like him any more.

He also published a nice little letter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BruinReport/status/711730313903210497

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

MourningView posted:

He's an alum, and TCU's football program has been good recently, so they probably have cash to spend. He has been sort of indifferent recently at Pitt as well.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The last thing the Big 12 needs is another decent to good basketball program. Let ISU have something!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

The last thing the Big 12 needs is another decent to good basketball program. Let ISU have something!

Underwood probably coming, too. The Big 12 is improving coaches. I mean, Underwood should be coming to K-State but they are being dumb and retaining Weber at a time when they could be hiring a legit coach so OSU is going to unload buckets of cash for Underwood.

Also on the Alford thing, UCLA fans had online petitions to have him fired and were hiring skywriters. Alford had to do something in response to the groundswell.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My pro-UCLA family has never liked the coach of their basketball team for more than a year so I imagine that sort of groundswell dislike isn't taken very seriously at this point.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm happy the Sweet 16 contains this treasure of a man who is a hilarious picture constantly waiting to happen.

I don’t know what he’s looking at but based on his face the first thing that comes to mind is “ghost orgy”

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Dixon's a good coach but I don't think he's found the ACC much to his liking. Will be interesting to see if anyone can make anything of TCU in the Big 12, it's not like they have much of anything to fall back on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bleacher report says it's a done deal.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

jfc losing a coaching candidate to tcu :suicide:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lessail posted:

jfc losing a coaching candidate to tcu :suicide:

He's an alum, and it's probably a case of beating the mob out of town, i.e. putting a Haith.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

He's an alum, and it's probably a case of beating the mob out of town, i.e. putting a Haith.

it's probably because they have money

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

http://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/712013910216282114

whoah

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

drat.

Bye yellow sweater man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welcome to the Big 12, Dixon, you're making this a better conference. Get used to this though.

• Locked thread