Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I know I pretty much only post in this thread to ask whether concerts are worth going to but here goes another one: Yeasayer. I've been a fan for a few years and they're gonna be in Nashville around my birthday. Are they decent live?

Saw them at the Pitchfork Music Festival a few years back in the rain. They played "Sunrise" as the rain cleared up, and it was loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I know I pretty much only post in this thread to ask whether concerts are worth going to but here goes another one: Yeasayer. I've been a fan for a few years and they're gonna be in Nashville around my birthday. Are they decent live?

I'll second everyone else: I saw them for free a few years ago when they played at my college & sorta expected it to be disappointing but they were awesome.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Rostam from Vampire Weekend and Hinds are opening for Brian Wilson (performing Pet Sounds) in Brooklyn this June and I don't know what the gently caress is going on with that bill.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 10, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

interpunct posted:

Rostam from Vampire Weekend and Hinds are opening for Brian Wilson in Brooklyn this June and I don't know what the gently caress is going on with that bill.

poo poo, I'll probably go to that. rest of the Northside Festival bill is boring as gently caress compared to last year's Ex Hex and RTJ shows though

The Snails are a great live show and y'all should see them on this tour if you get the chance, btw

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I saw Yeasayer in Bloomington, IN in 2010 in a small bar venue and it was great. They sound really polished live and mix up their catalog well.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
New Ladyhawke with animation from Paul Robertson makes me happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiBAsVOXuew

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Grimes live is amazing, especially World Princess: Part 2 and Kill v. Maim. She also sang Scream in Russian, which was pretty badass.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Uhhhhg I wish Grimes would come even close to here, I would drop everything to go see her live. Even as support for Florence, she's not coming to my city for like that one week period.

Good to see Ladyhawke back again, and with a great visual video like always.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Here is all of Iggy Pop's new album, Post Pop Depression. It's really,. really good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
"Oh hey a new Joywave album!

Uh... that song sounds familiar.

Wait a minute.

What the gently caress is this?"

Still not sure what they are trying to do. Feels like it's a single release, with 1 new song and 9 alternate versions (not quite remixes) of an old song?

Either way the one new song is pretty good.

edit: Also the 1975's new album has 17 drat tracks on it.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 11, 2016

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Third track to be pre-released off Andrew Bird's new LP

Roma Fade

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

BonoMan posted:

"Oh hey a new Joywave album!

Uh... that song sounds familiar.

Wait a minute.

What the gently caress is this?"

Still not sure what they are trying to do. Feels like it's a single release, with 1 new song and 9 alternate versions (not quite remixes) of an old song?

:thejoke:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

If they did this as an actual joke/prank then my respect went way up. That's loving funny.

edit: apparently it's a riff on Kanye? gently caress I don't know, I'm so out of touch :(.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://youtu.be/n6oSeODGmoQ?list=PL1B627337ED6F55F0

If you guys haven't seen it, Gaelynn Lea is woman from Minnesota who plays the violin. Alan Sparhawk (from the band Low) discovered her playing at UMD and helped get her some more exposure. It's an incredible set really.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Oh killer, great share

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Got the new Lucius and I'm still making up my mind about it. Vocals are amazing as always, but they seem to have gone in a less distorted, reverbed-out direction in terms of the production, and a lot of the composition is more dancey and electronic. It's well done, but I'm not sure I like that as much. That said, their last album is one of my favorites from the past few years and bits of it took a while to grow on me, so I'm going to give this one some time.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 12, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

BonoMan posted:

If they did this as an actual joke/prank then my respect went way up. That's loving funny.

edit: apparently it's a riff on Kanye? gently caress I don't know, I'm so out of touch :(.

Kanye's album art for The Life of Pablo was essentially ripped off from Joywave's Destruction promo stuff, so this is basically them making fun of it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

For anyone in the midwest, pretty awesome lineup for mo pop in Detroit in July.

http://mopopfestival.com

quote:

The festival features some of the hottest alternative music acts in the country on two stages. This year’s line-up is: G-Eazy, M83, HAIM, The Head and The Heart, Matt and Kim, Glass Animals, Mac DeMarco, Father John Misty, BØRNS, Shakey Graves, FIDLAR, Nothing But Thieves, Banners, Raury, Twin Peaks, The Strumbellas, Lewis del Mar, Panama Wedding, Coast Modern, Alex G, and Quilt .

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

xsf421 posted:

For anyone in the midwest, pretty awesome lineup for mo pop in Detroit in July.

http://mopopfestival.com

I've skipped it the past few years because the line ups have been pretty lacking, but I think this is the year I'm going. Plus I don't think Laneway is ever coming back.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
All this Yeasayer talk and no one has posted the new song? For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rQxrZn8-A0

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

knows a black guy posted:

Anyone liking the new Animal Collective? I gotta say most of it doesn't really grab me but I cannot stop listening to Golden Gal.

I like it, although I think Golden Gal is one of the weaker songs on the album. Tracks 3 through 10 are pretty solid. As a whole it's a little dancier than what I would normally listen to, but Animal Collective is one of my favorite bands, so I guess I'm making an exception. To me the album is basically a mix of MPP and Centipede Hz. Apparently most people think that is a bad thing.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Toe Rag posted:

To me the album is basically a mix of MPP and Centipede Hz.

I feel like they made a whole album of "Lion in a Coma"s, all bouncy beats and fast, labyrinthian vocals. It's a nice album but the songwriting does feel a bit weaker than normal, maybe because there's relatively little variety between songs. And it gets a little repetitive. Standouts for me are FloriDada, The Burglars, Bagels in Kiev and Spilling Guts.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

The worst I could say about Painting With is that it's not as good as their last 5 albums. It's poppy and fun, but a little forgettable. Really love "Recycling" though.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Can we throw in some Spanish-language indie pop? I think they're doing some really interesting things:

I love me some Spanish-language music, even though I don't understand the language at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CreEuaS8QY
El Guincho (Spain) - Bombay (:nws: music video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQ4ScIAU2Y
Astro (Chile) - Colombo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSdfg48_JU
Lara Pedrosa (Argentina) - Fuego Blanco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUG83soBbfc
Carla Morrison (Mexico) - Vez Primera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7V9lFouC94
Camila Moreno (Chile)- Libres y estúpidos

bowser fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 13, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Purity Ring at a festival tonight and they were way better this time than they were when I saw them last year. They sounded amazing. I don't know if it was just the change of venue or what. Plus their visuals ruled.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
Speaking of Spanish-language indie, does anyone know any good Italian indie bands? I'm learning the language but haven't been able to find much in the way of modern music to listen to.

For content I don't think I've seen anyone post about Sunflower Bean.
They've got a pretty neat, dreamy rock sound and a video that came out last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xykuu_pVZak
Sunflower Bean - Easier Said

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

I feel like they made a whole album of "Lion in a Coma"s, all bouncy beats and fast, labyrinthian vocals. It's a nice album but the songwriting does feel a bit weaker than normal, maybe because there's relatively little variety between songs. And it gets a little repetitive. Standouts for me are FloriDada, The Burglars, Bagels in Kiev and Spilling Guts.

Yeah, it's pretty repetative/unvaried, but so is Campfire Songs, and I don't hear anyone complain about that album. I think a part of the problem is for many people, Animal Collective is a "weird" band, and this album isn't very weird, but except for two or three albums, AC has always been pretty poppy.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah, it's pretty repetative/unvaried, but so is Campfire Songs, and I don't hear anyone complain about that album. I think a part of the problem is for many people, Animal Collective is a "weird" band, and this album isn't very weird, but except for two or three albums, AC has always been pretty poppy.

It's a weird album... just because it's more focused on trying to create pop songs and less ambient/interlude parts doesn't mean it isn't really weird still.

The songwriting just isn't as strong and production is a little too bombastic as said before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Saw Titus Andronicus last night and it was infinitely better than five months ago, despite having basically the same setlist (with the addition of loving Battle of Hampton Roads). The last show was good, but this had better sound, better energy from both the crowd and fans, and they brought out Craig Finn to cover Bastards of Young!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
ffffffffffff Daughter concert tonite in Denver was so good. life is all downhill from here (well probably only until April when I have front row seats to FJM in a loving opera house)

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Man, Metric/Joywave was a fun show. Joywave, especially, seems to be on their way to blowing up. They played a new song they said was written for Alice Through The Looking Glass. It was cute, though - the show maybe sold half of the venue's capacity, so they were only playing to about two hundred people as the opener, and were awkward and unhappy about it. Then the bassist saw me singing along to Nice House and he suddenly started beaming. Once the crowd got into it (in other words when Joywave played Somebody New) things got really fun.

Metric's light show is stunning, and while Pagans remains in the second tier of their discography, some of the songs really stood out live. My only issue is that they'd jump from electronic jams into acoustic bits of longer songs like Raw Sugar and the energy would just get sucked out of the room. And whoever did the mixing did not earn their paycheck, as vocals (especially high notes) got drowned out by the instruments on louder songs. But on the other hand, I finally heard Black Sheep live, and that was legitimately on my bucket list, so I can't complain too much.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 17, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm a weirdo who still like to buy CDs and I want to try out The Twilight Sad since they're opening for the Cure on their tour this year. However, I can't get a copy of their newest CD on Amazon. Anyone know a site I can try to get one? I'm in the US and I know I can get it off their labels site, but it will be like $20 with shipping.

This might be one of the cases where I have to just do the mp3 album.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm a weirdo who still like to buy CDs and I want to try out The Twilight Sad since they're opening for the Cure on their tour this year. However, I can't get a copy of their newest CD on Amazon. Anyone know a site I can try to get one? I'm in the US and I know I can get it off their labels site, but it will be like $20 with shipping.

This might be one of the cases where I have to just do the mp3 album.

Have you tried going to a record store?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Haven't seen this mentioned - Bloc Party has a new album out called Hymns. And the good news is it's a substantial improvement over Four :)

Virtue is personally my favourite song off the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23fQ1KREcE

The Love Within, Only he Can Heal Me and Into the Earth are a few other tracks that stand out to me. The whole album has something of The Cure feel to it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

bowser posted:

I love me some Spanish-language music, even though I don't understand the language at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CreEuaS8QY
El Guincho (Spain) - Bombay (:nws: music video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQ4ScIAU2Y
Astro (Chile) - Colombo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSdfg48_JU
Lara Pedrosa (Argentina) - Fuego Blanco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUG83soBbfc
Carla Morrison (Mexico) - Vez Primera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7V9lFouC94
Camila Moreno (Chile)- Libres y estúpidos

Spotify's been pushing Carla Morrison and El Guincho a lot in their Latin playlists, but I'm less familiar with the others Thanks!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Carla Morrison is amazing wow.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Has anyone noticed a lot of artist in the indie world that were popular maybe 5-6 years ago are kind of getting ignored by publications that use to review and promote them?

Chad Valley, Small Black, Summer Camp, Cold Cave, Givers, some others I can't fully think of right now got almost no media when they released new albums. Dying styles or under performing acts, what's the deal?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
The similarly named St. Lucia and Lucius also both failed to get much pub with their latest releases, and I'm not exactly sure why! Even if they're both not quite up to par with their first LPs (which, on their own, also didn't get a ton of pub).

It's weird when that happens.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

T Bowl posted:

Has anyone noticed a lot of artist in the indie world that were popular maybe 5-6 years ago are kind of getting ignored by publications that use to review and promote them?

Chad Valley, Small Black, Summer Camp, Cold Cave, Givers, some others I can't fully think of right now got almost no media when they released new albums. Dying styles or under performing acts, what's the deal?

I think it's a bit of both. A bunch of the big music pubs can basically dictate what is sort of popular in the indie world and we've moved hard to r&b and jazzy stuff. i feel like straight up pop has had a resurgence too. that "chill-wave" or "goth-wave" stuff feels very 5-6 years old at this point. genres come and go, garage rock feels very blah now too, especially living in nashville where so many bands sound the same.

edit: just think of the power pitchfork wields. if they're over those bands then they're gonna struggle more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
If a band was part of some trend (chillwave for example) that's now passed, any new releases are usually ignored in favour of the new hotness.