Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

It stayed consistent in quality throughout its run, but that last season dragged out over the course of three years and two tie-ins with recent Disney acquisitions, so it clearly ran its course. Plus, Povenmire and Marsh are doing something else anyway, and they've probably wanted to start a new thing for a while. Eight years is a long time to work on any show. Most showrunners get bored doing the same thing all the time- Stephen Colbert got tired of doing his pundit character, and even Seth MacFarlene is getting kinda sick of Family Guy. The Simpsons is the exception to the rule, of course.

Oh no I think the Simpsons showrunners are quite bored with their show if their creative output is any indication. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They did pretty much everything they could with Phineas and Ferb. By the end they were stretching out the formula as much as possible and turning it inside out. Also it was 222 episodes taking place ostensibly over 104 days.

There's somerthing just so incredibly earnest about most Disney cartoons. Phineas and Ferb set out to be a formulaic show, and by god, it followed that formula from start to finish. Sometimes it pointed it out and had fun with the formula, but it never acted like it was above its formula or tried to do things ironically. I went and rewatched some of Kick Buttowski, and it was a little cringe-worthy how they tried to do some of the things that they thought the kids thought were cool these days, but it was just so honest about what it was doing, and the characters all fit well within their context. Wander Over Yonder has the same sort of straightforwardness about its own theme. It's weird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They did pretty much everything they could with Phineas and Ferb. By the end they were stretching out the formula as much as possible and turning it inside out. Also it was 222 episodes taking place ostensibly over 104 days.

There's somerthing just so incredibly earnest about most Disney cartoons. Phineas and Ferb set out to be a formulaic show, and by god, it followed that formula from start to finish. Sometimes it pointed it out and had fun with the formula, but it never acted like it was above its formula or tried to do things ironically. I went and rewatched some of Kick Buttowski, and it was a little cringe-worthy how they tried to do some of the things that they thought the kids thought were cool these days, but it was just so honest about what it was doing, and the characters all fit well within their context. Wander Over Yonder has the same sort of straightforwardness about its own theme. It's weird.

Sometimes it managed to break from the formula. In Road to Danville most of the episode is Perry and Doofenshmirtz trying to get back to the city from the middle of the desert so that Heinz can play his part in a play, Phineas and Ferb and their friends are just bookends in that episode. Although I love Buford's dialog in that one, esp after he complains about the fact that they are planning on making a rug that day: Isabella: "You know, you don't have to hang out with us every afternoon?" Buford: "No, I'll stay. I don't want to play alone...":3:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I'm kind of glad I didn't bother with Gravity Falls until just right before the finale when I had my DVR record every episode and I could binge through it. Feels like the scheduling would have been incredibly frustrating to follow from the beginning.

Had no idea such a good show was hiding on Disney that whole time though :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The first episode of Powerpuff Girls 2016 is on iTunes for free, I think when the show finds its stride it's gonna be pretty good

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Flobbster posted:

I'm kind of glad I didn't bother with Gravity Falls until just right before the finale when I had my DVR record every episode and I could binge through it. Feels like the scheduling would have been incredibly frustrating to follow from the beginning.

Even as a Community fan, Gravity Falls was the roughest relationship I've ever had with a show. A calender year between seasons one and two was unbearable.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Quest For Glory II posted:

The first episode of Powerpuff Girls 2016 is on iTunes for free, I think when the show finds its stride it's gonna be pretty good

Also coming out on TV on April 4. Which is good for me, since that's my birthday. :toot:

El Tortuga posted:

Even as a Community fan, Gravity Falls was the roughest relationship I've ever had with a show. A calender year between seasons one and two was unbearable.

Do you watch The Venture Bros?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Quest For Glory II posted:

A guy who has opinions about cartoons whose blog I read thought it was bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Silver Snail posted:

Stay away from John K

Alternatively just wait until the show is several episodes in and watch it then and see how you feel

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Silver Snail posted:

It was decent, had a pretty fair message too. If there's any criticism I would give it it's that Bubbles had about three sentences worth of dialogue.

Note: I am blissfully ignorant of most of the backstage drama.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Flobbster posted:

If I could go back in time I probalby would've preferred doing it that way. Expectations got too high (beginning with Hirsch who got burnt out halfway through and cut the show down from 3 seasons to 2). But when you have not weeks but months between episodes, the people who watch your show can't help but be disappointed with whatever they're given regardless of whatever the actual standard is. If I'd watched it all in one go from beginning to end I'd probably have been a lot less underwhelmed. It is a great show though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The Silver Snail posted:

Do you mean bogleech

He's refreshing when the cartoon watching audience is dumber, more antisocial, and more perverse than video gamers but he still is a defender of Lucas's strange magic and Problem Solverz.

I mean I love his blogs and opinions but I'm not going to take all his opinions as my own without question.

That said right now I don't really have ppg nostalgia or need for another cartoon right now... I'll just wait and see if it has an equivalent to Steven universe's jailbreak episode and every starts going nuts about it.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

kefkafloyd posted:

Okay, yeah, never mind.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Problem Solverz was a good show that probably would have gotten more appreciation had it stayed on Adult Swim, tbh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People were killed at put off because it was the ugliest thing ever but yeah if you could get that it was pretty great.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hell, I liked it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Wasn't it supposed to go to adult swim but didn't for reasons?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I'm enjoying this season so much that I don't want to know how long we're going to have to wait for the next one. Hopefully less than five years like this wait was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I accidentally clicked on page 2 of this thread earlier today, and it's kind of a trip to think that this thread was around when Chowder was still on the air.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That Cartoon Network era was weird. It was after they abandoned the push towards more live-action stuff but before they truly embraced their animated shows. Then came Adventure Time and Regular Show and here we are.

Chowder and Flapjack were pretty drat good. I know that J.G. Quintel did a bunch of episodes for Flapjack, but was there anybody on Chowder who went on to do other things?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Y-Hat posted:

I'm enjoying this season so much that I don't want to know how long we're going to have to wait for the next one. Hopefully less than five years like this wait was.

Supposedly one of the creators tweeted recently that if all goes well we'll be getting the next season next year actually, but I don't know if there's any truth to that

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never thought about the juxtaposition of those shows and Cartoon Network's live action period, but I guess that puts more meaning behind Flapjack and Captain Knuckles going live action in their last episode.

Y-Hat posted:

That Cartoon Network era was weird. It was after they abandoned the push towards more live-action stuff but before they truly embraced their animated shows. Then came Adventure Time and Regular Show and here we are.

Chowder and Flapjack were pretty drat good. I know that J.G. Quintel did a bunch of episodes for Flapjack, but was there anybody on Chowder who went on to do other things?

C.H. Greenblat, the guy who created Chowder, went on to make Harvey Beaks.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Y-Hat posted:

I know that J.G. Quintel did a bunch of episodes for Flapjack

Not to mention Pendleton Ward, Alex Hirsch and Patrick McHale. It's honestly impressive just how much talent that show housed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

And it shows, because Flapjack loving rules

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol every time http://youtu.be/G4lIBZGrA4U

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trash Boat posted:

Not to mention Pendleton Ward, Alex Hirsch and Patrick McHale. It's honestly impressive just how much talent that show housed.

Yeah, people sometimes point at Adventure Time as the beginning of the current era of Cartoon Network programming, but a lot of that talent started at Flapjack.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Brian Doyle-Murray was a cruise ship captain on the season finale of Always Sunny a few weeks ago. I love that he's the go-to guy for nautical characters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Trash Boat posted:

Boy, Flapjack certainly yielded some good fruit.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
It's the 2 Stupid Dogs of the current era.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, people sometimes point at Adventure Time as the beginning of the current era of Cartoon Network programming, but a lot of that talent started at Flapjack.

To be fair, wasn't Flapjack (and Chowder) right before the Dark Age/The Era Which We Do Not Speak Of?

edit : Because I'm kinda unclear. People forget because these two good toons got lost in a poo poo storm of live action stuff.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 21, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it was during/near the end of that era.

Also, question: The Easter premieres promo with the talking bunny on CN. Is that Carl? It sounds a lot like Carl from Aqua Teen.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, question: The Easter premieres promo with the talking bunny on CN. Is that Carl? It sounds a lot like Carl from Aqua Teen.
I haven't seen what you're talking about, but it's certainly possible. His voice actor also voices Barry on Archer, so he's got vocal range. No word on whether he voices Other Barry as well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it was during/near the end of that era.

I would say not even Adventure Time came after the end of that era, because Level Up and that shitawful sketch show that had the kid who voices Finn started alongside / after AT and lasted way longer than they had any right to.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The first season finale of Miraculous Ladybug came out in Canada. It was a solid episode, and the cliffhanger makes me really want to see season 2. It also had my new favorite gif:

As a result of this, I also watched the origin episodes, which aired earlier than that in Canada, but were apparently supposed to be the final episodes. They were really neat too.

(This scene is adorable in context)

Overall, I'd say it's a fun season of television, and I really liked both of the main characters.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Are there any good shows that are new or upcoming that are replacing Wander and Gravity Falls in the "lots of good cartoons airing" zeitgeist?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Red Bones posted:

Are there any good shows that are new or upcoming that are replacing Wander and Gravity Falls in the "lots of good cartoons airing" zeitgeist?

Miraculous Ladybug is guaranteed two more seasons.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Red Bones posted:

Harvey Beaks IMO is an underrated gem. Not really an overarching narrative or anything but the jokes are really solid and it looks really good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Senerio posted:

The first season finale of Miraculous Ladybug came out in Canada. It was a solid episode, and the cliffhanger makes me really want to see season 2. It also had my new favorite gif:

Yeah, the Origins episodes were really well made, and I wish I had waited to finish the season with them because it feels strong to see why those two like each other after seeing how bad their crushing is. In particular Marinette it seems she loves Adrien's compassion despite having a fairly rough and desolate life, which makes her want to do better despite her clumsy bad luck, essentially meaning that episodes where she gets super jealous are more her feeling she has to protect the boy in a way. Also opening the season with the weather girl, AKA an evil umbrella and ending the season with those two starting their relationship with an umbrella, pretty cute bookend.

Season had its ups and down, namely its episodic nature meant that some episodes were straight up better than others, still was very fun, cute and dynamic, just that some stuff felt like it should've been way more important due to its premise than the episode lead to be (mostly Anti-Bug, but then again I freaking love Flash Thompson's storyline in the comics from jerk bully to college buddy to leaving to vietnam to coming back without his legs and dealing with alcoholism to getting his poo poo together and to becoming Agent Venom, so I always get super hype when bully characters get superpowers and a chance to prove themselves) but now i'm expecting more straight up superheroing in season 2 since we got that book, know a bit more of Adrien's mom and Lila seems like a very legitimate foe and counterpart to Marinette.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, and also the fact that there was a Stag superhero despite not being a Stag Miraculous; that means that Master Fu's Miraculous box isn't all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Red Bones posted:

We Bare Bears