Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is a neat game. Unknown Worlds have a frankly kind of naff development approach, but this game plays to their strengths. They've always had really cool art direction and not actually needing a really tight functional aspect to the game like they did with Natural Selection means that it really shines in subnautica.

The environments and general style, and especially the sound of the game are all top notch. It's still a bit janky and that needs fixing eventually but if you want an atmospheric game, this is pretty the best one in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The first thing you should do is rush the big and the small sub.
You can dock the small sub in the big one, and even build stuff in it. Storage and stuff. It acta amazing as a mobile base and has it's own constructor.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So I've been just dicking around for what's probably way too long and now there's zero fish around the escape pod. Is it possible to repopulate or am I just screwed?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Truga posted:

So I've been just dicking around for what's probably way too long and now there's zero fish around the escape pod. Is it possible to repopulate or am I just screwed?

Build big boat and move somewhere else.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

PowderKeg posted:

Built my first base, couldn't get it powered. Swam around for a couple of hours in the kelp forests and couldn't find a single solar panel plan to scan. Built a bioreactor, but when I went to get the required mold sample, the knife and laser cutter didn't break anything off of the mushroom tree.

I remember base powering being MUCH easier a few builds ago..

You need to break the big mushroom caps for samples right now.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

7c Nickel posted:

You need to break the big mushroom caps for samples right now.

With the basic knife? I stabbed away at them and nothing seemed to break off.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Truga posted:

You can make a giant aquarium in your base, catch some fish, put em in the aquarium. Two of the same fish will populate the whole aquarium. Then if you wanted, you could release all but 2 of them into the wild and repeat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not all of them seem to break. i usually smash into them with the seamoth.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

PowderKeg posted:

With the basic knife? I stabbed away at them and nothing seemed to break off.

Make sure you were cutting the caps, not the stems. They should break up into pieces that you can collect.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I want to get this but I have a moratorium on Early Access games.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

The first thing you should do is rush the big and the small sub.
You can dock the small sub in the big one, and even build stuff in it. Storage and stuff. It acta amazing as a mobile base and has it's own constructor.

Counterpoint: the big sub is slow, too big and a pain in the rear end to keep powered (takes 6 power cells). I'd just focus on the little one and grab a solar upgrade when you get the moon pool. Apparently they're planning on adding stuff to recharge the big sub in the next major update so maybe it'll be more useful at that point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're just going exploring, take the seamoth. If you're going on an expedition to grab a lot of materials, take the cyclops. I usually take the cyclops out to just above the blood kelp. I park it at the top of the crevasse. Then I take the seamoth down into the blood kelp to collect lots of quartz. Take it all back up to the cyclops and repeat. Then I bring all that back to wherever my base is.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Rotten Cookies posted:

You can make a giant aquarium in your base, catch some fish, put em in the aquarium. Two of the same fish will populate the whole aquarium. Then if you wanted, you could release all but 2 of them into the wild and repeat.

This is basically what I did to repopulate my starter area. Except I used the really nutritious fish. The Reginalds I think. I made an aquarium that was three multipurpose rooms high and just captured and released everything but two and did it a couple more times.

Of course by the time I repopulated the stater area I found fruit trees and it didn't matter anymore. I even made fruit trees on my cyclops so I have a permanent food and water source! Now I just wish there was a way to attach a nuclear reactor to my sub so I could have infinite power.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What's the quickest way to get power? I want to get my own base/fabricator up.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Elderbean posted:

What's the quickest way to get power? I want to get my own base/fabricator up.

Personally I usually only go solar/thermal. But if that's not possible then I go nuke.

E: sorry realize you were prolly talking about your first base. Go solar. I forget where the fragments for it are though, kelp forest maybe? But as far as I know, only solar and thermal don't require fuel, location is important since solar won't work in the deep dark and thermal needs a lava vent.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 19, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

..btt posted:

Counterpoint: the big sub is slow, too big and a pain in the rear end to keep powered (takes 6 power cells). I'd just focus on the little one and grab a solar upgrade when you get the moon pool. Apparently they're planning on adding stuff to recharge the big sub in the next major update so maybe it'll be more useful at that point.

Yeah but...large cells are easy to produce. You get the efficiency upgrade super easy, and with 6 full cells you can run days and days.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Solar is found in the Safe Shallows and Kelp Forest. You only need two fragments so keep searching.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Did they ever fix the hot knife?

Once it hit 0 durability, you could still equip it and flash fry any fish you came across. Useful.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Robzilla posted:

I want to get this but I have a moratorium on Early Access games.

This game is really cool, but will probably be much cooler when it is actually finished. Just wait imo.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Vargs posted:

This game is really cool, but will probably be much cooler when it is actually finished. Just wait imo.

Yeah, all the early access caveats apply here. I kinda like seeing it grow personally.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just don't get too attached as every major update requires you to restart the game if you want all the new terrain added. The game does its best to update your save but apparently not everything gets added in.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vargs posted:

Yeah, I just purchased this and I grabbed 'Empyrion' a while back on sale, and I'm sitting on both of them until they're further done. They both look great though!

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Have the devs stated what their eventual plans for the game are? The website doesn't seem to have much info, nor does the steam page(s). Overall I enjoy the game as I'm a scuba and ocean nerd. Happy to have picked it up on sale, just curious what we might expect to see.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

lilspooky posted:

Have the devs stated what their eventual plans for the game are? The website doesn't seem to have much info, nor does the steam page(s). Overall I enjoy the game as I'm a scuba and ocean nerd. Happy to have picked it up on sale, just curious what we might expect to see.

I know they plan to move all the tech upgrades to chunks of ship wreckage that act kind of like mini underwater dungeons. I think the overall plan is to have you start out surviving, explore and find wrecks, figure out why ships that approach the planet explode, and tech up enough to build an escape vessel.

You can track a lot of the bits and pieces of this on the developer's Trello account.

https://trello.com/unknownworlds

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

This game! HAd no idea it would be this good. Found "signals" poiting me to stuff. One in somewhere deep in an abyss I cannot get there yet. But another one is this huge island with plants and everything it's loving gorgeous. Also I can see bases on top of the montains on the island looking for a way to get there.

Had my seamoth disapear on me.. Had stranded it on the beach. When I reloaded my game I can see the marker to where the ship could be but there is nothing there and walking around I don't bump into it or anything. Oh well. Built a new one it's not very expensive.

Don't get why peoples on other forums (reddit et co) hate on the cyclops so much. It's slow! ! Well I guess it's a question of opinion. For me the cyclops is not a submarine to get deep or have cool explorations. It's a loving mobile base. I park it somewhere and launch missions from there. It's perfect for that. To move fast the seamoth is much much better.

Anyways. Got to go back explore this game. Also I recommend the expertimental version. In the 3 days I've had this game I must of gotten 3-4 updates already. The dev team is a loving dream in the context of a early release. Constant communication, open trello board, updates non stop.

Almost feel bad I got this for 12$.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Game's really good, only sad part for me is that it's probably never getting multiplayer. It's exactly the kind of game me and my friends like to play together.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I ended up making an aquarium of reginalds and one of airsacks so I effectively have an infinite supply of food and water now.

e: I also basically have 3 billion titanium and probably enough everything except lithium to build a cyclops, but I still haven't found a goddamn seaglide blueprint. :argh:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Well wadayaknow just found my seamoth! It was burried under the sand. The loving thing almost killed me too when I dug it up. It jumped out of the sand on my head. Now I have two seamoths. Oh well !

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Started playing this again and drat has it improved a lot! Intros! Scanning fish! Really feels like a real game now and its gorgeous too. Took like 5 hours of searching to find solar panel blueprints but i finally got a base working. Built a nice lighthouse I can see from several zones away. Good times

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Iznogood posted:

Well wadayaknow just found my seamoth! It was burried under the sand. The loving thing almost killed me too when I dug it up. It jumped out of the sand on my head. Now I have two seamoths. Oh well !

If you want to get rid of one it's as simple as going and hanging out with a reaper! He'll give you a great big hug too.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

While this is already a fantastic game with lots of potential some bugs/omissions are really starting to irritate me. I understand it's a early access and givin all the disapointment I have had with these(Godus, castle story, etc..) I do think subnautica is above these by far (quality is great, the devs are by far the most active and opened (public trello for the win) I have ever seen on steam).

The biggest thing I miss/need is a loving compass/navball/map/anything. How the gently caress do you create such a wonderful game with wonderful ships and I don't have anything else then the aurora to orient myself. Underwater in the cyclops I cannot see anything below me. I don't know how I am supposed to go deep with the thing (or not even deep just anywhere "below"). I know I could place tons of beacons or whatnot I just find that boring and it's already confusing enough with all the white blinking indicators (original pod, 3 submarines, 2 signals).

Maybe I don't "get" the scanner on the seamoth. To me it's so small I cannot interpret anything meaningly.

Much less critical but unexplainably absent is mouse wheel support to switch tools. It's not dramatic that it's not there it's just that it seems like a trivial thing to add when you start any game with different tools/weapons.

There is a long list of things I want done but I understand the game is in dev so oof course everything is not there.

But I think I'll leave the game for now and wait for a significant update before burning out completely.*

*wil probably play anyways because I am an idiot who always gets burnedout from early access and when the game gets done have no interest anymore.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

It's been possible in past builds to craft a compass. I heard that the recipe isn't in this build but I just ended up using the console and spawned one for myself. Having a compass is so drat handy I feel like it should be a default item.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Metal Meltdown posted:

It's been possible in past builds to craft a compass. I heard that the recipe isn't in this build but I just ended up using the console and spawned one for myself. Having a compass is so drat handy I feel like it should be a default item.

Wait what? There is one but it's "disabled"? I'll have to hunt around for that (if it's still available). No Idea why they would do that perhaps it was bugged beyond easy fixes and it got put on ice. The devs do have a strong vision for their game (no lethal weapons for example) and thi scan be a double edged sword. It's pretty neat that they keep with their vision and all I just hope in the end it's a vision I like.

edit: seems it is there you have to hold mgnetite or a computer chip to see it in the fabricator. Wich is one feature I hate. Now to get it to work... Having it in inventory does nothing it seems. I cannot put it in a slot (1-5). I cannot add it to the seamoth.

BTW are the "official" forums for this game? Or are steam and reddit it?

edit2: oooh had to equip it on my shoulders.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 20, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You need to open the fabricator with some magnetite in hand and compass will show up under equipment. IIRC it needs 1 magnetite 1 computer chip.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Iznogood posted:

Wait what? There is one but it's "disabled"? I'll have to hunt around for that (if it's still available). No Idea why they would do that perhaps it was bugged beyond easy fixes and it got put on ice. The devs do have a strong vision for their game (no lethal weapons for example) and thi scan be a double edged sword. It's pretty neat that they keep with their vision and all I just hope in the end it's a vision I like.

edit: seems it is there you have to hold mgnetite or a computer chip to see it in the fabricator. Wich is one feature I hate. Now to get it to work... Having it in inventory does nothing it seems. I cannot put it in a slot (1-5). I cannot add it to the seamoth.

BTW are the "official" forums for this game? Or are steam and reddit it?

edit2: oooh had to equip it on my shoulders.

You put it in your chip slot, last I recall. Y'know, where you'd put the thermometer.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

JamieTheD posted:

You put it in your chip slot, last I recall. Y'know, where you'd put the thermometer.

Tried that it did not work. But what did was put it on me from my inventory. Same place you put signals. Then it worked.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If you look at the latest developments on the game you can also see a mapping system is in the works. It's not just going to be a map but some thing you work towards with a map room and camera drones. Looks cool.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

You can also just leave beacons at all the points of interest.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

What is up with silver, I can find everything else pretty easily but silver continuously eludes my grasp, whether its hiding in blood grass or kelp forests, so far the best luck Ive had is finding vents where magma comes through and checking the caves in those.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

punakone posted:

What is up with silver, I can find everything else pretty easily but silver continuously eludes my grasp, whether its hiding in blood grass or kelp forests, so far the best luck Ive had is finding vents where magma comes through and checking the caves in those.

The reslist place to find silver is in the kelp forest, in Sandstone Outcrops, not Limestones one. They are pretty rare.
You will find more in further away biomes. If you have a radsuit the crashsite also has more Sandstone iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think I've pretty much built what there is to build in this game... except find a sea glider fragment. Are these supposed to be so rare? Wiki says they're found in kelp forests, but I've scanned >100 kelp forest fragments now, none were sea glider ones.