Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Another decent race at this poo poo hole I don't even know any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's a good race! It's going to be a GREAT RACE!

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Jimmie wins calling it

E: boom, confetti

AND HERE COMES JIMMIE TO KICK THE gently caress OUT OF THAT LADDER.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It was a great race, on the whole

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Yeah, no disagreement there.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why are these races more then five laps?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Because sometimes you get good racing for the vast majority of the race, like today

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elephanthead posted:

this is what I meant on the previous page

lol

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
christ, FB is blowing up with morons mad that Kyle drew the yellow

he did what literally every other driver would have done in his position

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The yellow was already out when he turned away from pit road, the Fox graphics were behind.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
The more I think about the Kahne/Danica situation, the more I think Kahne needs some kind of (low grade) penalty. Forget who was involved, one car was a lap down and was cleanly being passed by a car on the lead lap. The lapped car was overly aggressive to the lead car, coming down, across the width of the track, for no describable gain, and ended up wrecking the lead car. Even if the lead car had roughed up the lapped car off camera before the incident, the lead car is more important than a lapped car. Basically, if you wreck a lead car out stupidity/vengeance when you should have just let them go, you need to get a light spanking. Kahne wasn't racing for position, the lucky dog position, or holding his line, he was racing like an rear end in a top hat and needs to be treated accordingly.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Cole Pearn ‏@colepearn 2h2 hours ago

I guess @joeylogano can't see through his squinty douchy eyes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ actions detremental to stock car rasin.. 5 more races for you cole pearn

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kyle is also expecting punishment for his radio rant at the end of the NXS race. NASCAR's gonna be swingin' the hammer this week.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Boomer The Cannon posted:

This is just childish.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I like Cole, but crew guys don't start poo poo with drivers. That's unwritten law, or code, or some poo poo like that.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wasn't even really joey's fault. Seems like when another driver gets within a foot of him they throw a bitch fit.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
If there's something you shouldn't say in person, it's probably going on Twitter. Kyle Busch is apparently trashing a few random people lol.

Basically Twitter is a cesspool of dumb poo poo because everyone has a voice on there, or believes they do.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 21, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

this has been an outstanding season so far. loved all these races.

this is phenomenally loving childish

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/711739630211743745

There isn't an :allears: big enough to demonstrate how much I like this Tweet.

e- Junyer and Harvick are having a back and forth as to why it's Harvick's fault Joey Logano gets picked on constantly and it's delightful.

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/711740343558000641

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 21, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/711739630211743745

There isn't an :allears: big enough to demonstrate how much I like this Tweet.

dale jr's twitter acct is the best thing about america

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
You guys are not allowed to gay adopt him after all these years.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Kahne's response to wrecking Danica:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/kahne-responds-incident-danica-001453558.html

This tells me a few things:

1. Kahne doesn't know who he's racing: He, and his crew, did not effectively communicate what Kahne had to do at that point in the race, and who he was racing. Sure, maybe he was trying to catch someone that was a lap down, but even then, you can't race a lead car that tough- there's little to be gained.

2. Even if Kahne thought he was racing Danica, he's a bad race car driver because that was some stupid poo poo. Imagine the hell he would catch if he had wrecked Jr, Harvick, or Edwards (just to name three). It was a dumb move done by someone who ran out of talent.

3. This is the kind of poo poo that goes wrong during a lost season in a lost career. Kahne struggled to a 28th place finish. Looking like a fool does not help you, or your team, develop confidence that you can turn the ship around. It's one thing to finish 28th, you could blame it on bad luck (something Kahne has always had too much of), but at least do it quietly.

Overall, too much has been made of this. Kahne clearly didn't mean it, but it was absolutely a dumb thing to do and Danica should be pissed. I wonder, assuming Kahne and Larson both miss the Chase, do you see a driver change before the season ends.

Edit- Holy poo poo...I had someone retweet me....I've never tweeted before....there's something ridiculously gratifying about it.

Edit 2- Dale Jr's twitter account really is awesome. For someone who refused to do it until fairly recently, he is a natural at it.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 21, 2016

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

I don't care if it's childish, it's hilarious.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Kahne's response to wrecking Danica:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/kahne-responds-incident-danica-001453558.html

This tells me a few things:

1. Kahne doesn't know who he's racing: He, and his crew, did not effectively communicate what Kahne had to do at that point in the race, and who he was racing. Sure, maybe he was trying to catch someone that was a lap down, but even then, you can't race a lead car that tough- there's little to be gained.

2. Even if Kahne thought he was racing Danica, he's a bad race car driver because that was some stupid poo poo. Imagine the hell he would catch if he had wrecked Jr, Harvick, or Edwards (just to name three). It was a dumb move done by someone who ran out of talent.

3. This is the kind of poo poo that goes wrong during a lost season in a lost career. Kahne struggled to a 28th place finish. Looking like a fool does not help you, or your team, develop confidence that you can turn the ship around. It's one thing to finish 28th, you could blame it on bad luck (something Kahne has always had too much of), but at least do it quietly.

Overall, too much has been made of this. Kahne clearly didn't mean it, but it was absolutely a dumb thing to do and Danica should be pissed. I wonder, assuming Kahne and Larson both miss the Chase, do you see a driver change before the season ends.

Edit- Holy poo poo...I had someone retweet me....I've never tweeted before....there's something ridiculously gratifying about it.

Edit 2- Dale Jr's twitter account really is awesome. For someone who refused to do it until fairly recently, he is a natural at it.

Also reminder Khane had only 10 top tens last year. For someone in a Hendrick car that's really bad.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am genuinely happy that Stenhouse and Dillon are having good years so far. The younger crop of drivers be competitive is a Good Thing in my humblest opinion

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I'd go so far as to say that NASCAR needs the young drivers to have success. The old guard is getting very old, and there hasn't been an influx of talent into the sport for awhile, which could cause a void once we get the expected rash of retirements.

I'd have to look it up, but from like 1999-2004 there was just a massive influx of talent into the sport- an influx that is mostly still with us today. Since then there hasn't been nearly the influx of talent, we all just keep waiting for the next big thing. Kyle winning the championship last year was a good thing for the sport because it established someone a little younger (and Brad K as well) as a champion besides JJ and Harvick. If Logano can win a championship in the next year or two I think that the sport will officially be into a transition period. We're nearing the end of Johnson's era (he may get number 7, or even number 8, but the vast majority of his championships are behind him) and are looking for the next Waltrip or Gordon to bridge the gap until the next legend comes along.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
NASCAR gets a big wave of talent every 15 years, and have since the start, this isn't new, nor is it life or death to get new drivers

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Dale Jr's twitter is really good because Dale Jr. has a personality and likes things and is kind of a weirdo.

He may be a good but never great driver, but he's a hell of a fun dude.

Also, he spent the entire week poo poo talking Jimmie Johnson and Superman and then had to eat crow later and it was funny.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SpitztheGreat posted:

I'd go so far as to say that NASCAR needs the young drivers to have success. The old guard is getting very old, and there hasn't been an influx of talent into the sport for awhile, which could cause a void once we get the expected rash of retirements.

I'd have to look it up, but from like 1999-2004 there was just a massive influx of talent into the sport- an influx that is mostly still with us today. Since then there hasn't been nearly the influx of talent, we all just keep waiting for the next big thing. Kyle winning the championship last year was a good thing for the sport because it established someone a little younger (and Brad K as well) as a champion besides JJ and Harvick. If Logano can win a championship in the next year or two I think that the sport will officially be into a transition period. We're nearing the end of Johnson's era (he may get number 7, or even number 8, but the vast majority of his championships are behind him) and are looking for the next Waltrip or Gordon to bridge the gap until the next legend comes along.

Drivers who entered the sport in that period who have been at least reasonably successful:
1999- Smoke (RoTY)
2000- Jr, Kenseth (RoTY)
2001- Harvick (RoTY), Kurt Busch
2002- Johnson, Newman (RoTY)
2003- McMurray (RoTY), Biffle
2004- Vickers, Kahne (RoTY)
If you include 2005- Kyle Busch (RoTY), Edwards
...and 2006- Hamlin (RoTY), Bowyer, Truex

Compare that to the last few years worth of rookies (RoTY is first):
2007- JPM, Ragan, Menard, Reutimann, Dinger
2008- Smith, Hornish, Carpentier, Almirola, Ambrose
2009- Logano, Speed, Keselowski (RoTY Ineligible)
2010- Conway, Cassill
2011- Andy Lally
2012- Stephen Leicht
2013- Stenhouse, Danica
2014- Larson, Dillon, Allgaier, Bayne
2015- Moffitt

Not much there aside from JoLo, Brad, and maybe Larson, though this year shows promise with Elliott, Blaney, and maybe Scott or Buescher.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 21, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

too many good drivers, not enough great drivers

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I don't think that trend is going to change. Kids just don't give a poo poo about auto racing anymore, whether watching it or being involved with it. NASCAR has the oldest viewing audience of any major American sport. Plus, average drivers with money/sponsors will get in quicker than great drivers with no sponsors. Elliott and Blaney already had family involved with big-time auto racing too. Many of the names in the early 2000s were completely new to it. There's just no fresh interest these days, except maybe Larson and Eric Jones, who will inevitably make Cup I imagine.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 21, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR gets a big wave of talent every 15 years, and have since the start, this isn't new, nor is it life or death to get new drivers

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

Dale Jr's twitter is really good because Dale Jr. has a personality and likes things and is kind of a weirdo.

He may be a good but never great driver, but he's a hell of a fun dude.

" If there's a road course in the chase, I hope it's the final race and I will drive backwards towing a boat."

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://www.playerwives.com/nascar/brian-vickers-wife-sarah-kensington-vickers/

Did I miss when we talked about this last year?

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

That is one creepy website.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SpitztheGreat posted:

That is one creepy website.

to be fair, so is this

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remember when Kahne was thr next big thing in the dodge car.

gently caress that was another lifetime.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

LordPants posted:

Too well :fuckoff:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

LordPants posted:

The CoT and the Evernham team's implosion really set him back from 2007-2010. He basically went through the same skid as Junior, but despite joining him at Hendrick, still hasn't pulled out of it. Maybe his own career resurgence is still a couple years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

LASTCAR posted:

The CoT and the Evernham team's implosion really set him back from 2007-2010. He basically went through the same skid as Junior, but despite joining him at Hendrick, still hasn't pulled out of it. Maybe his own career resurgence is still a couple years away.

He had one good year his first year but time is ticking and also doesn't help rumors of Harvick coming in and taking his ride. Doesn't help today Kimi Raikkonen has been linked to go to NASCAR with SHR next year which gets more pressure on Kahne who is starting off the season pretty terribly.

• Locked thread