Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ButtWolf posted:

Wasnt Jalen Brunson really highly touted? Havent heard m7ch about him this year.

He's fine for a freshman. He was a big recruit but not like top 10 or something. I don't think he was expected to be one and done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had seen a lot of mixtape stuff last year so i presumed top 10. He looks pretty good.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is Ben Simmons another iteration of Point Guard Giannis? Will all pgs be 6'10 from now on?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 21, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A league of 6'10" point guards and 6'7" centers is one worth fighting for

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ButtWolf posted:

I had seen a lot of mixtape stuff last year so i presumed top 10. He looks pretty good.

Like literally every prospect who is even moderately notable gets a bunch of mixtapes and they all look good in them because that's the whole point of a mixtape.

He's a 6 foot dude who averaged 9 points and 2.5 assists a game on meh percentages; he's not really an NBA prospect right now.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 21, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Like literally every prospect who is even moderately notable gets a bunch of mixtapes and they all look good in them because that's the whole point of a mixtape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zlB5w08_Es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOcJrQOXTFU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The random free throw in the Vesley mixtape is still funny even after watching that tape like 500 times

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Kris Dunn screams second round pick, probably in the back half. That sound about right?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

Kris Dunn screams second round pick, probably in the back half. That sound about right?

He is projected to go like 5-10, dude.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What video game music is used in the intro to Vesley's mixtape?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

What video game music is used in the intro to Vesley's mixtape?

Video game? That's the Power Rangers Theme, son.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Paul Zuvella posted:

Video game? That's the Power Rangers Theme, son.

It blows my mind to this day that a kids show had a metal theme song.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I don't really watch a ton of college basketball or follow the draft but since the Zags are the local team I've gotten attached to Sabonis the Younger, what do people think of his NBA prospects? SBNation put up an article in the last couple days that basically said what I've been thinking, that his ceiling is capped by athletic limitations and janky mechanics but he's big enough with absolutely ridiculous instincts and hustle that he'll carve out a niche. How do you more knowledgeable and attentive people feel about him?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like him but he's probably like a back half of the first round guy at best because of the things you mentioned. He's below average athletically by NBA standards, has short arms relative to his size, and doesn't do much offensively outside of the post. I think he can find a place in the league though. He plays his rear end off and rebounds like a motherfucker.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
cool, that's about what I was thinking. like I'm said, I don't watch a ton, I'm the least qualified person for this type of thing, but watching him I'm like "there's no way there aren't NBA teams that need a hustle big like that" but wasn't sure if his lack of length etc meant he wasn't a serious draft prospect.

I'm glad you mentioned the rebounding because that was really specifically what got me thinking about his NBA chances. He's like the reverse of "You can't teach length!!", he has tiny croc arms but NBA teams would commit war crimes to transplant his positioning and instincts on the glass into one of the tall stiffs they invariably employ. I hope he finds a niche. I think he will.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah. Reggie Evans managed to grind out a reasonably long NBA career with rebounding and hustling as pretty much literally his only NBA level skills. That's not a perfect comparison because Sabonis is more well rounded and not as good a rebounder at the college level, but I think he can find a niche in a similar way. Having the same last name as one of the greatest players of all time probably helps in terms of people giving you a chance too.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Reggie Evans is literally one of the greatest rebounders in NBA history though

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MourningView posted:

I like him but he's probably like a back half of the first round guy at best because of the things you mentioned. He's below average athletically by NBA standards, has short arms relative to his size, and doesn't do much offensively outside of the post. I think he can find a place in the league though. He plays his rear end off and rebounds like a motherfucker.

Grizz are gonna draft him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Every time I see young sabonis, I need to immediately watch at least 3 minutes of grainy soviet arvydis highlights

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

Yeah. Reggie Evans managed to grind out a reasonably long NBA career with rebounding and hustling as pretty much literally his only NBA level skills. That's not a perfect comparison because Sabonis is more well rounded and not as good a rebounder at the college level, but I think he can find a niche in a similar way. Having the same last name as one of the greatest players of all time probably helps in terms of people giving you a chance too.

Is Sabonis that bad in terms of scoring ability?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wouldn't be completely shocked if the Spurs try to move up a little to get Sabonis because he really seems like their type of dude. And I don't think moving to the middle of the draft will be that expensive this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Sabonis that bad in terms of scoring ability?

No he's fine just kinda limited range-wise and might struggle against NBA length and athleticism. He can still get points off hustling, getting good position, and his strength. its not a perfect comparison, Reggie's just an example of a dude who found a niche based on nothing but playing super hard and understanding how to rebound (though granted he was a better rebounder). Also I love him and must bring him up constantly.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
He's a pretty ehhhhh jump shooter so it really hinges on whether his post game translates to the NBA. It works fine for the WCC and I think he's strong enough but faster, longer NBA defenders might just smack the ball back in his face.

Even without that, though, one point in his favor is he has good hands and touch around the rim so he could still produce respectably just on offensive rebounds and dumpoffs in the paint imo. "Respectably" in this case meaning "worthy of an NBA rotation spot".

In a way I think back half of the first would be good for him because I don't think he'd live up to a lottery pick, but without those expectations he'd become a fanbase's favorite role player in a hurry.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

He is projected to go like 5-10, dude.

jesus how

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

It's a poo poo draft, which everyone has been saying for a while now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

He is pretty athletic and has a huge wingspan. He has the tools to be a good wing defender has enough offensive potential to make teams bite. Someone may thing he can run an offense (he can't)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Have you watched him play more than twice?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Brice Johnson is going to be the guy who is going to play himself into a hilariously high draft pick, isn't he?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul Zuvella posted:

Brice Johnson is going to be the guy who is going to play himself into a hilariously high draft pick, isn't he?

I don't know about hilariously high, but probably play his way up to 14-19 range if UNC keeps winning.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Paul Zuvella posted:

He is pretty athletic and has a huge wingspan. He has the tools to be a good wing defender has enough offensive potential to make teams bite. Someone may thing he can run an offense (he can't)

I figure with most teams getting smaller height-wise in the backcourt he'll be ok as long as he gets to the right place with someone else to do that offense running.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Grizz are gonna draft him

I just saw a mock last night that said the Pacers would draft him. Him, Myles Turner, and PG? Owns.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

SeannieDarko posted:

I just saw a mock last night that said the Pacers would draft him. Him, Myles Turner, and PG? Owns.

Monta can have it all

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/BTNSean/status/712425207718400000

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So he's gonna test the waters, find out his current draft projection is "lol" and go back.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

He isn't in either DraftExpress' or ESPN's top 100 prospects. Did he just do this for a laugh or something?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There's not really any harm in it, and he was a big time recruit. Maybe he thinks he can blow up in a workout or wants to be better prepared when he does come out for real

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MourningView,

Where do you see DeAndre Bembry out of St.Joes going in June? Selfishly, I would love for him to stay in school one more year but I'm not sure how much higher his stock could get. DraftExpress has him as their #35 prospect.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Even unranked garbage prospects get invited to team pre-draft workouts to act as fodder/warm bodies for some actual prospect that the team is interested in. Maybe he wants some free practice jerseys and Gatorade

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ty1990 posted:

MourningView,

Where do you see DeAndre Bembry out of St.Joes going in June? Selfishly, I would love for him to stay in school one more year but I'm not sure how much higher his stock could get. DraftExpress has him as their #35 prospect.

He would be in the first round if he could shoot, but he can't. At all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah, I don't see a junior wing shooting 25% from 3 and 60% from the line going in the first, especially since he's a little undersized for the 3 and a good but not exactly transcendent athlete. It's true that this might be as high as his stock gets though since he's played really well lately, so it might be a good idea to leave.

• Locked thread