Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

raditts posted:

It seems a bit silly that they would be mad at him for not telling them things and not being able to tell them things when they know he works for the loving FBI.
They think he might work for the FBI because he is on drugs and aren't particularly impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
drat, 5 episodes to go and they're breaking the status quo? If they keep it going even most of the way to the finale I'll be impressed. Most shows keep it to the last 3 of the season.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Honestly the most hosed up part of all of this is Rachel just let their mom berate Brian when she does drugs with him regularly.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 10, 2016

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Honestly the most hosed up part of all of this is Rachel just let their mom berate Brian when she does drugs with him regularly.

yea were I brian i would have just been staring at rachel through that entire verbal assault. Like, I ask you to do one thing and i work for a federal agency but goodjob now i gotta lie/piss our mother off and break relationships for the forseeable future gj.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Yeah, but at the same time the father is just chilling at the table like, "now you hosed up. I had concerns months ago but I'm saying nothing now so my wife can bash you."

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tortolia posted:

Also Brian is the son of Nina Sharp and Arvin Sloane...
Yeah, I keep thinking that. No sign of Nina's robotic hand as yet...

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Dead Snoopy posted:

Yeah, but at the same time the father is just chilling at the table like, "now you hosed up. I had concerns months ago but I'm saying nothing now so my wife can bash you."

Well Bryan's dad knows he can't say anything, so he doesn't.

This show is so good, it can air a bummer of an episode like this and it feels believable. Can't wait to see how this season wraps up.

My guess: Mr. Sands winds up dead and the cjc directly works for Morra after he wins the election. Rebecca figures everything out and there are less secrets between her and bryan.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dead Snoopy posted:

The dad didn't really do anthing wrong (recently). Remember that the only reason he knows about anything is that he is Brians lawyer At least he had the sense to keep his mouth shut.
Brians mother didn't just try to get him to divulge state secrets, she also urged her husband to break client confidentiality.

Why was she so shocked about that silence? She claimed that her husband always talked about everything with her. Did he tell her about all the times clients admited to be guilty? A lawyer who never keeps anything secret from his wife is a stupid premise.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
It isn't shocking per say but when I go back to watch that scene I just had this interpretation that behind that facade of noncompliance w/ his wife, Brian's dad just seemed smug. I'm probably projecting but the way the scene is written it could have been stronger had the dad not been up to speed on developments and some of the mom's dialogue been assigned to him but they blew that possibility earlier on in the season.

Maybe it was just too much for one episode, having the family & Rebecca's concerns and frustrations bubble over. I suppose we can do a re-watch of some of the episodes and see how sketchy Brian is from their perspective but it would only be slightly effective w/ Rebecca. The family is a bigger leap. It is still tricky because the audience is seduced by knowing the other side of the story, not to mention the cute narrative/visual gimmick which comprise the show's story telling.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

What really bothers me about the whole "Bryan is on drugs" reaction is that they know (or at least highly suspect) that drugs are coming from the FBI. It's not like he is some addict trying to score a fix in an alley somewhere. I mean yeah it seems a little shady, but I think I'd at least want to here more about his side of the story instead of holding some sort of impromptu intervention.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

hangedman1984 posted:

"Bryan is on drugs"

It's Brian. And it may or may not be a pun on brain.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

It's Brian. And it may or may not be a pun on brain.

Meh, Brian/Bryan, same thing

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Just started and finished watching every episode! This show has a lot of fun in it, I can tell the makers really love it to bits.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
I loved the Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson analogies

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

eviljimmy posted:

I loved the Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson analogies

I feel stupid for not getting that.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 12, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Something I noticed at the tail end of this last episode:

In the scene where Rebecca finds Brian's letter, when she's leaving the room the camera's POV is framed by a pair of little figures that Brian likes to make.

I am about 95% sure those figures are Morra and Sands.

Even when going rogue, Brian left hints for Rebecca. :aaaaa:

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

WarLocke posted:

Something I noticed at the tail end of this last episode:

In the scene where Rebecca finds Brian's letter, when she's leaving the room the camera's POV is framed by a pair of little figures that Brian likes to make.

I am about 95% sure those figures are Morra and Sands.

Even when going rogue, Brian left hints for Rebecca. :aaaaa:

http://i.imgur.com/C7eLwAx.png

looks like the right one has black hair which would make it Mike and Ike

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Shuffle posted:

A for effort on the screenshot. It actually looks like a woman on the right so it must be Brian and Rebecca. I feel like this show is packed with detail and everything matters. Or at least it's intentional.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Hughlander posted:

I feel stupid for not getting that.

Can someone explain? I must have missed those.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Shuffle posted:

Well, drat.

I thought I had caught a cool little easter egg/hint. :negative:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After 17 episodes, yay they are going to do 2 episodes that arn't a crime fighting show!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

After 17 episodes, yay they are going to do 2 episodes that arn't a crime fighting show!

What exactly were you expecting?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tortolia posted:

What exactly were you expecting?

Less crime fighting. There was like no crime fighting in the movie.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Less crime fighting. There was like no crime fighting in the movie.

Move along troll.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A little behind, but Brian's gotta organize a Russian prison break with a single NZT pill?

Bring this episode on!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

This recent episode did nothing to further engender empathy towards Brian's family. I just felt annoyed at the father for placing all the blame on Brian leaving on Rebecca AND the sister for not speaking up and, once she does, though by no means on purpose, gets in the way of Finch.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

TV shows need more George R R Martin related bribes

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

TV shows need more George R R Martin related bribes
The second one was more of a blackmail.

I like Piper. She's kind of cool.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Limitless Drunk History....

YUS!

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Limitless Drunk History....

YUS!

Yeah that part was fantastic. Especially the other actors acting out Drunk Brian speaking for them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Brian's dad was very insistent that no one help the FBI figure out where Brian is for someone whose whole thing is that he doesn't know where Brian is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pan Dulce posted:

This recent episode did nothing to further engender empathy towards Brian's family. I just felt annoyed at the father for placing all the blame on Brian leaving on Rebecca AND the sister for not speaking up and, once she does, though by no means on purpose, gets in the way of Finch.

"Brian, we don't want you around, get out."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN OUR SON IS GONE YOU FIND HIM AND BRING HIM BACK"

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Accretionist posted:

Brian's dad was very insistent that no one help the FBI figure out where Brian is for someone whose whole thing is that he doesn't know where Brian is.
His dad thinks Brian is running from the FBI and that all of this poo poo is their fault, and he's right.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Accretionist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

He thinks Brian is on the run from the FBI, doesn't know the relationship between Brian and Rebecca and probably views Rebecca as Brian's watchdog and refuses because he doesn't want Brian to get in more trouble than he already is.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

raditts posted:

"Brian, we don't want you around, get out."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN OUR SON IS GONE YOU FIND HIM AND BRING HIM BACK"

(still...THE BEST)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I like little poo poo like his dad honoring the fact that he's his sons lawyer and not talking about sensitive things even with his family.

That is something other shows would just trample all over for some drama.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Was Brian ever on anything harder than pot before he got on NZT?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Been catching up with this show - it is so loving fun.

Just about the greatest sense of fun of anything currently on TV which is what is really keeping me watching; I love that someone on the show basically had the revelation to stage episodes directly from people (mostly Brian's) perspective and really get a good long look at what peoples brains look like.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Didn't know that the episode wasn't generally available, sorry

Let's not spend half a season playing footsie. Just turn the dial all the way up to 11 and let rip.

I am going to go insane waiting for next week to see how things play out. I am very impressed by the way plot is being handled - something that would take an episode to play out on another show is done and dusted in 5 minutes on this one.

I am really intrigued by how well handled Senator Morra is being played and written - I didn't know what to expect, but the way he played the revelations about sand worked incredibly well. I'm also really enjoying how much involvement Bradley Cooper has with the series.

Pikehead fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This was a pretty gripping episode.

Morra seems like an object lesson in what happens when you take NZT for too long and your ego can't keep itself in check.

Kind of hoping Sands is a decent fellow and is trying to get out from Morra's thumb and ultimately stop him, but I don't know if that's where this is heading. I feel like it could head that way though, so that says a lot about the show.

• Locked thread