Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I did the free upgrade to Win 10, and less than a week later I'm sitting here having to troubleshoot a non-functional computer. Worst case scenario is that the motherboard has failed and I have to replace it.

Does this mean I just wasted my Win 10 free upgrade or will someone at Microsoft help me out since I still have the original Win8 license and I'm within 30 days of the upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Listerine posted:

I did the free upgrade to Win 10, and less than a week later I'm sitting here having to troubleshoot a non-functional computer. Worst case scenario is that the motherboard has failed and I have to replace it.

Does this mean I just wasted my Win 10 free upgrade or will someone at Microsoft help me out since I still have the original Win8 license and I'm within 30 days of the upgrade?

30 days doesn't really matter, if you get a new motherboard, install Windows 8 and upgrade to 10 to register license with new hardware.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

A friend of mine is still on XP, and my housemate (a loving technical writer, of all things) probably would be if I didn't tell her flat-out that it wasn't available for her new machine.

Said friend refuses to upgrade unless C&C Generals will run under 10 (which it apparently will, thank God), and believes that responsibility for securing an OS is passed on to antivirus providers when the manufacturer stops supporting it. I don't enjoy doing tech support for him.

Gaming wise 10 > 8.1=7
They all perform within a margin of error, but 10 will get DX12 and push it ahead.

I can tell you that all C&C games run on 10, but you need to do manual config edits for widescreen in Generals.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Khablam posted:

Gaming wise 10 > 8.1=7
They all perform within a margin of error, but 10 will get DX12 and push it ahead.

I can tell you that all C&C games run on 10, but you need to do manual config edits for widescreen in Generals.

Does Tiberian sun and RA2 run on 10? I know on 8 they were pretty broken.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Both of them run without any issues on Win 7, 8 and 10. Just edit .ini for high widescreen resolutions.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

SinineSiil posted:

Both of them run without any issues on Win 7, 8 and 10. Just edit .ini for high widescreen resolutions.

RA2 works great for me, but Tiberian Sun crashes pretty easily when starting the first mission. I have the "Ultimate Collection" version from Origin with the fan patch installed. Maybe I haven't put enough effort into fixing it, but that's my experience with it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

A Google-search has people clammering for a fix + posting workarounds, but I have played RA2 + expansions on Win 10 having done nothing than set the resolution in the .ini, so YMMV. The various 'fixes' look merely like a way to force a certain display resolution/buffer so this may have been solved in driver patches since those posts were up.

If it matters the versions working for me all come from the 'First decade' collection.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Get TS from here https://cncnet.org/tiberian-sun if you have problems. Even better if you want to play MP since it's the main client people seem to use nowadays.

I remember hearing how half assed job they did with "fixing" Generals so maybe Origin version of TS is messed up as well.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Latest fast ring build 14291 just came out. Edge now supports extensions! Now just Translator, Reddit Enhancement suite :nexus: and mouse gestures.

They currently require separate folders that you have to keep from whatever folder you added them from. I have mine in downloads and if I delete or move those folders after I installed the extension. The extension will no longer work. You can move them wherever before you install the extension. This is of course insider preview though.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 18, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lowtechs posted:

Latest fast ring build 14291 just came out. Edge now supports extensions! Now just Translator, Reddit Enhancement suite :nexus: and mouse gestures.

They currently require separate folders that you have to keep from whatever folder you added them from. I have mine in downloads and if I delete or move those folders after I installed the extension. The extension will no longer work. You can move them wherever before you install the extension. This is of course insider preview though.

They fixed up Edge a bit. Definitely better all around.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

redeyes posted:

They fixed up Edge a bit. Definitely better all around.

What did they fix up?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Listerine posted:

You can pretty much use the same Windows 7 or 8 key to upgrade from on as many hardware setups as you want. Don't do this for a business because you can get audited for that but they don't care for consumers.

So, since it's not September or August yet, when they'll stop offering free upgrades, just reinstall 7 or 8 when you get a new motherboard in, and upgrade to 10. You'll get a new hardware license for that combination and you'll be just fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone noticed that the lovely modal dialog boxes that pop up in Win10 are not dismissed by pressing Escape? Instead, that seems to perform one of the possible actions. What the gently caress.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone noticed that the lovely modal dialog boxes that pop up in Win10 are not dismissed by pressing Escape? Instead, that seems to perform one of the possible actions. What the gently caress.
You also can't use arrow keys to go between options anymore which has resulted me accidentally deleting pictures.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently Microsoft is working on a redesign of the file explorer. Can't wait to see how they'll gently caress this one up. Whitespace as gently caress!

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells
And every file as a live tile...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Microsoft is working on a redesign of the file explorer. Can't wait to see how they'll gently caress this one up. Whitespace as gently caress!

Source?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

On ze twittah!

https://twitter.com/peterskillman/status/710869362903650304

--edit: Automatic tweet embedding? What?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

On ze twittah!

This rather sounds like how there's been a replacement for NTFS in the works since what, 1998?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fishmech posted:

This rather sounds like how there's been a replacement for NTFS in the works since what, 1998?
Depends on the definition. There was WinFS in the Longhorn betas, which was somewhat functional until scrapped. Of course Microsoft wanted to sell everyone an apple as a banana, pretending this was something different than just SQL Server and NTFS. Regardless, now there's ReFS.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Combat Pretzel posted:

On ze twittah!

Eh,

There's so much UI inconsistency between old and new elements.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's going to happen when I turn off Insider Preview builds? I've been having network issues that manifest as intermittent, minutes-long periods of a sudden inabilty to connect to the internet. Ping fails, DNS can't resolve, I can't even ping the router. Meanwhile everything else on the network works fine and connects to the internet without any issues. I've tried updating the drivers for the ethernet adapter, but the problem still persists. The only thing that's really changed on my machine is the latest Insider Preview - before that I never experienced issues like this.

Which is making me lean towards turning them off. Will I miss anything? Will it force a downgrade to whatever the latest version of Windows 10 is that's reached consumers? I don't have a whole lot on this PC, I only really use it for gaming, so maybe I'll just reinstall and not turn on the preview builds...

Edit: How the heck am I supposed to turn of Preview Builds anyway? I went to Windows Update > Advance Settings, then clicked Stop Insider Builds. When I clicked the link to turn them off permanently, I got this window:

The link in the window takes me to these instructions that are verbatim what I just did. I've restarted several times, and I even re-entered my Windows license key just in case I'd been using the key that came with the preview builds, and yet I still can't turn them off :iiam:

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 21, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are you using a third party antivirus? NOD32 caused me really weird network connectivity issues on Insider builds that resolved when I uninstalled it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are you using a third party antivirus? NOD32 caused me really weird network connectivity issues on Insider builds that resolved when I uninstalled it.
Nope, I haven't used anything but Defender since Windows 7 :(

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Don't use beta software if you don't like bugs. It's not something for nothing.
I'd be more than tempted to just do a reset / clean install if I was trying to go back from the preview builds.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Khablam posted:

Don't use beta software if you don't like bugs. It's not something for nothing.
I'd be more than tempted to just do a reset / clean install if I was trying to go back from the preview builds.
If I wanted off insider builds I'd do this.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Suddenly I'm only able to connect to my desktop through RDP. I can't join the homegroup that computer started, and I can neither browse it over the network (I'm asked for my credentials and nothing works) nor over the SMB share from my Android phone. What the gently caress happened?

Edit: I should have specified that I'm not on any insider builds; this is plain old Pro.

hooah fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 21, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

Suddenly I'm only able to connect to my desktop through RDP. I can't join the homegroup that computer started, and I can neither browse it over the network (I'm asked for my credentials and nothing works) nor over the SMB share from my Android phone. What the gently caress happened?

Edit: I should have specified that I'm not on any insider builds; this is plain old Pro.

I had the same problem. What fixed it was logging into the machine using COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME as the username. Might work for you.

Try a reboot too. Windows is glitchy these days.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

IAmKale posted:

What's going to happen when I turn off Insider Preview builds? I've been having network issues that manifest as intermittent, minutes-long periods of a sudden inabilty to connect to the internet. Ping fails, DNS can't resolve, I can't even ping the router. Meanwhile everything else on the network works fine and connects to the internet without any issues. I've tried updating the drivers for the ethernet adapter, but the problem still persists. The only thing that's really changed on my machine is the latest Insider Preview - before that I never experienced issues like this.

How's your network set up? I get the same type of issue ever since I switched to using powerline adapters, and have to work around it by having a ping -t pointed at the router to prevent it from happening more than once a month or so.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to get these apps from showing up in my start menu?

Contact Support
Cortana
Windows Feedback

e: Also, Windows 10 seems to have a strange tendency to not index some program shortcuts so when I hit WinKey + nameOfApp it doesn't find anything. I'm not really seeing a reason why. It works for like 99% of all apps but for example right now it just doesn't find my prime95 shortcut when I hit WinKey + search. It does show up in the "App Apps" view though, and if I right click on it to see where the shortcut location is it takes me to the same folder where I can see other app shortcuts are, apps I've installed after installing prime95 even so by all accounts it should be there?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 22, 2016

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to get these apps from showing up in my start menu?

Contact Support
Cortana
Windows Feedback

e: Also, Windows 10 seems to have a strange tendency to not index some program shortcuts so when I hit WinKey + nameOfApp it doesn't find anything. I'm not really seeing a reason why. It works for like 99% of all apps but for example right now it just doesn't find my prime95 shortcut when I hit WinKey + search. It does show up in the "App Apps" view though, and if I right click on it to see where the shortcut location is it takes me to the same folder where I can see other app shortcuts are, apps I've installed after installing prime95 even so by all accounts it should be there?

Welcome to Windows 10. This issue has persisted for me even after a clean install.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Windows 10 auto installed a few weeks ago and yesterday I got a geforce 950 vid card. The last driver update was March 8th but my computer seems to freeze after about an hour of use. It only started happening after the vid card install. Any thoughts?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The last Nvidia drivers are completely hosed, with people complaining about all kinds of problems all the way up to bluescreens. Do a clean uninstall and go back to March 1.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

redeyes posted:

I had the same problem. What fixed it was logging into the machine using COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME as the username. Might work for you.

Try a reboot too. Windows is glitchy these days.

Thanks. Combining these two worked.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Ghostlight posted:

The last Nvidia drivers are completely hosed, with people complaining about all kinds of problems all the way up to bluescreens. Do a clean uninstall and go back to March 1.

Forgive my lack of insight but how does one do a 'clean' uninstall? Thanks for your help!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Forgive my lack of insight but how does one do a 'clean' uninstall? Thanks for your help!

Use DDU to remove your drivers then download and install the older nvidia ones.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Windows 10 keeps automatically installing wrong audio driver for my laptop that's broken and overriding working driver. Is there anything at all that I can do to stop it?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I use Windows 10 on my gaming PC so I'm already familiar with it, but I'm getting a Surface 3 delivered today and wonder if there are any non-obvious tweaks/settings that would be useful for tablets. So far I plan to turn off or uninstall the usual background apps and disable adaptive contrast + brightness.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I use Windows 10 on my gaming PC so I'm already familiar with it, but I'm getting a Surface 3 delivered today and wonder if there are any non-obvious tweaks/settings that would be useful for tablets. So far I plan to turn off or uninstall the usual background apps and disable adaptive contrast + brightness.

The Surface doesn't really ship with any bloat, just a bunch of Microsoft stuff that no one uses. Adaptive contrast/brightness is pretty innocuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

SinineSiil posted:

Windows 10 keeps automatically installing wrong audio driver for my laptop that's broken and overriding working driver. Is there anything at all that I can do to stop it?

I had this problem with my XPS 13. I found a post saying to put the laptop in Airplane Mode, then I uninstalled the device and checked the option to remove the software. Then rebooted and installed the proper software still in Airplane Mode. After I did that it stuck with the driver i wanted and didn't overwrite it.