Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I have no idea. It's a grim place for that program.

Their wishlist is Sean Miller or Archie, but I don't think either is happening. Willard at Seton Hall is a Pitt alum so I guess that's the most likely big name.

After that it's an assortment of mid-major coaches so you might as well put a name in a hat and pull it out.

Willard sucks, I hope they don't do it because that would mean Seton Hall could hire someone who is half decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

https://twitter.com/TJCarpenterWHB/status/712081198449696769

You'll never guess which is winning!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Voted no because I like drama.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A really good point by a K-State fan.

https://twitter.com/MartyRosco/status/712100837934428160

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
Wright State fired Billy Donlon, pretty dumb move.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

As a KU fan let me say "O gently caress"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Washington's season comes to an end at the hands of SDSU. Congrats, Ross. :shobon:

Can't say I'm too disappointed, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and even making the NIT was a pleasant surprise. Hopefully the kids build on the postseason experience and really do some cool things next year.

For now, go Lady Huskies. First Sweet 16 since 2001. :getin:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

So Washington's season comes to an end at the hands of SDSU. Congrats, Ross. :shobon:

Can't say I'm too disappointed, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and even making the NIT was a pleasant surprise. Hopefully the kids build on the postseason experience and really do some cool things next year.

For now, go Lady Huskies. First Sweet 16 since 2001. :getin:

You guys are going to be really good next year. I don't think we played a team as fast as you all season, and both Chriss and Murray are really really talented. I hope we play each other in the big tournament next year :)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I would rather have Bruce Weber than John Groce. There, I said it.

e: Also, GOEMAW is one of the funniest fan forums on the Internet (based on my limited experience). Maybe it's just that I am united with them in Weber hatred.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 22, 2016

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Let us never forget that Bruce Weber was in the national championship game once. And they were tied with a minute and a half to go!

If that's not proof of a good coach, I don't know what is! :shepface:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

OctoberBlues posted:

Let us never forget that Bruce Weber was in the national championship game once. And they were tied with a minute and a half to go!

If that's not proof of a good coach, I don't know what is! :shepface:

I'm still incredibly angry about that game considering Illinois's center fouled out in 8 minutes of play from almost entirely off ball bullshit calls

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Haha, Ken Pomeroy is trolling the gently caress out of the RPI.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Pomeroy owns

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Does Pitt really have a shot at Sean Miller? That seems crazy - http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/03/22/sources-pitt-offers-head-coach-job-to-arizonas-sean-miller/

Answer: No, no chance.

OctoberBlues posted:

Pomeroy owns
Yes.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 22, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/712351072866668544

Congrats to the dude. Hope he does well there!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Swanigan declared for the NBA draft and I don't know whether to laugh or scream

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Poque posted:

He's not hiring an agent and still has the option of coming back before like May.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Isn't Weber a decent Xs and Os coach who just can't recruit?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Poque posted:

It's not guaranteed. He's probably just going to get an opinion on his abilities and decide from there.

In other news, just looked at the list of schools that officially asked for Cullen Neal's release after he decided to transfer. Schools include Purdue, Pitt, Hawaii, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, Miami, Utah, BYU, Florida, Ole Miss, and Xavier. He's visiting Ole Miss first, don't know past that.

He didn't play well this year, but UNM fans really hosed this guy over. Hoping he gets a good chance somewhere else.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Swanigan will almost certainly come back but we already had eligibility concerns given that his dad is an agent and I don't really want to go through that again.

He needs to lose the baby fat, put on some muscle, and figure out how to handle a basketball before he can go to the next level

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Your team has blown rear end two years in a row and you are asked about next year's team:

quote:

"I think we’ll probably do things a little bit differently. I think the summer will be a little bit tougher. I think we still need to create a culture of Missouri basketball, and I’m not sure we’ve done that completely in the last year or so. But again, I go back to I think we have guys who are a) tired of losing, b) used to winning and c) want to win. I’m hoping that will create the type of leadership and the type of work ethic that we need."

Glad Mizzou has a solid plan moving forward.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is Mizzou aware that their coach will never succeed and they just don't care for whatever reason (money, etc), or do they actually think he can win? I'm fascinated by that situation because everyone on the planet knew that hire wouldn't work.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mizzou, come back to the Big 12! We need someone to be the whipping boy. Aside from KSU I guess.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's alarming that he doesn't know what Missouri actually needs. Stop talking about culture and try to recruit. If you can't recruit, hire somebody who can. Because right now it resembles rats jumping off a sinking ship. When you're looking at a sinking ship you don't say "hey you know what this ship needs? A better attitude!"

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

OctoberBlues posted:

Is Mizzou aware that their coach will never succeed and they just don't care for whatever reason (money, etc), or do they actually think he can win? I'm fascinated by that situation because everyone on the planet knew that hire wouldn't work.

The only reason I can see that they kept Kim Anderson on for a third year was because of the NCAA violations from Haith and APR concerns. Since I think Mack Rhoads is a competent AD, I'm choosing to believe he's just using KA to weather the storm and will fire him after next season.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mike_V posted:

The only reason I can see that they kept Kim Anderson on for a third year was because of the NCAA violations from Haith and APR concerns. Since I think Mack Rhoads is a competent AD, I'm choosing to believe he's just using KA to weather the storm and will fire him after next season.

This is why he booted Wes Clark and someone else from the team, so it must be a big-time problem if it causes your top guard to be dismissed.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's definitely a problem because APR is something coaches use to decide if they're going to join team with a vacant coaching seat.

So they probably told Kim Anderson here's the deal, we're keeping you on and giving you a vote of confidence but you have to get that APR up. We'll give you extra time to see if you can make it work but if you can't we have to have that up for your replacement. I'm sure he knows the deal.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pete Jok just announced he's testing the draft waters too. I imagine you'll see a lot of guys doing it with the new rules. There isn't much downside and it's a good experience and gives you an idea of where you stand and what you need to improve (although in his case that's mostly "don't have a long history of serious knee issues" so he may not have much shot either way).

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MourningView posted:

Pete Jok just announced he's testing the draft waters too. I imagine you'll see a lot of guys doing it with the new rules. There isn't much downside and it's a good experience and gives you an idea of where you stand and what you need to improve (although in his case that's mostly "don't have a long history of serious knee issues" so he may not have much shot either way).

I imagine this is what Malik Pope at SDSU is going to do as well, since he's played a hell of a lot better from February till now than he did in the beginning of the year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like anybody who has a prayer of playing in the NBA will do this. You may actually see more guys come back by getting a feel of what they need to do.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This will help me stay calm when Monte Morris probably does the same thing. I think he likely comes back one more year. He needs to work on driving the basket and getting his own points instead of being just an assists machine.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hopefully they let Cheick Diallo know he's two years away from being a year away.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

This will help me stay calm when Monte Morris probably does the same thing. I think he likely comes back one more year. He needs to work on driving the basket and getting his own points instead of being just an assists machine.

I think he could go. He'd have a shot to go late first if his shoulder is okay

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

I think he could go. He'd have a shot to go late first if his shoulder is okay

Shut up shut up shut up! He's staying! Just like I thought Hoiberg was staying last year.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

kiimo posted:

Hopefully they let Cheick Diallo know he's two years away from being a year away.

I wonder what Selden will hear. Man, if he comes back next year...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Shut up shut up shut up! He's staying! Just like I thought Hoiberg was staying last year.

:argh:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Cal said his entire team is declaring, taking the new rules to their obvious limit. I'd say that the man missed his calling in being a lawyer but drat if he didn't find a place where he'd be paid more, and poo poo he wins two more titles he could run for Senate and win.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't get why that's supposed to be a scummy thing

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

I don't get why that's supposed to be a scummy thing

It's not, except that I guarantee you that the NCAA didn't think that anyone would do such a thing when they wrote the rule, and such an act will have the rule either overturned or severely limited because the NCAA is not about doing what's best for the players.

That and my lord have you heard the man talk? I heard his coaches show one day, they came back from a break, Cal literally got on his soapbox about some campus thing for ten minutes, and then they took another break. If he wasn't a coach he'd be a perfect politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002
I don't either. The "scummy" argument makes no sense to me, and no one has been able to coherently explain it.

• Locked thread