Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

kalstrams posted:

"Long Play Video Games" are an author-invented category that can mean literally anything, fyi.

k thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
I'm mostly just upset that the scale is $/m and not m/$ because clearly the author wanted to show video games as the big winners.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Maybe he means watching longplays :v:
I then wonder if someone is selling them. :v:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MissMarple posted:

I'm mostly just upset that the scale is $/m and not m/$ because clearly the author wanted to show video games as the big winners.

"Going outside" just completely breaks the chart either way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's clearly not intended to go into negative values :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That made me want to grab my screen and shake it really hard.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
I tried to make it work but the strain made me poo poo myself. Then I saw the secondary x axis...

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Shut it down, it's over

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I laughed.

Then I remembered that there are some super serious people here who will be triggered by that graph and I laughed again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

kalstrams posted:

"Long Play Video Games" are an author-invented category that can mean literally anything, fyi.

I think the only thing that fits into that category is Minecraft, and I mean the version where this dude walks to the glitchy edge of the world for charity and it's literally gonna take him 20 years.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think the only thing that fits into that category is Minecraft, and I mean the version where this dude walks to the glitchy edge of the world for charity and it's literally gonna take him 20 years.
I guess there's also this. :v:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

wrap it up, non-gamers

What sort of novels is this person reading for them to be more expensive per hour than a movie in a theatre?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Count Roland posted:

What sort of novels is this person reading for them to be more expensive per hour than a movie in a theatre?

Maybe he hates reading and only enjoys a book for 10 minutes? For a $1 thriller novel the chart checks out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

kalstrams posted:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Spotted this in the Gay Marriage thread in D&D:

What it looks like: Every state except California allows evil people to murder trans people and get away with it!

What it actually means: In California, this defense will not work because the law says so and the judge will strike it from the record. Elsewhere in the US, this defense will not work because the prosecution isn't going to let psychopaths on the jury.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

dpbjinc posted:

Spotted this in the Gay Marriage thread in D&D:

What it looks like: Every state except California allows evil people to murder trans people and get away with it!

What it actually means: In California, this defense will not work because the law says so and the judge will strike it from the record. Elsewhere in the US, this defense will not work because the prosecution isn't going to let psychopaths on the jury.
Except trans panic (and gay panic) defenses actually do work a non-zero amount of the time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Gay panic is still legal in Queensland.

The north of Australia is like the south of the US.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dpbjinc posted:

Sadly, it does not take psychopaths. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_panic_defense

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Going to Quote this one from the Political Cartoon Thread because :monocle:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
On a scale from Cute to Action-Packed, how Strange-Smart are you?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, left to right seems to be female vs male appeal. I can't figure out the top vs bottom equivalent though.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Vivick posted:

Going to Quote this one from the Political Cartoon Thread because :monocle:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
:aaa:

That's actually amazing, accurate, informative, and relevant. Probably in fact the absolute best use of a venn diagram I've ever seen

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:aaa:

That's actually amazing, accurate, informative, and relevant. Probably in fact the absolute best use of a venn diagram I've ever seen

Actually, this is the best venn diagram:

But yeah, that's a pretty good graph.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It'd probably be more accurate to say that Scientology ∈ paranormal bollocks ∩ religious bollocks ∩ quackery bollocks ∩ psuedoscientific bollocks, as you haven't proved that Scientology is the only member of that intersection. :goonsay:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Not sure why you're looking upon that "sadly," as in not a single case listed there has it resulted in a jury finding the attacker not guilty:

quote:

In 1987, Joseph Mitchell Parsons, who called himself the "Rainbow Warrior",[21] claimed that he killed Richard Lynn Ernest to defend against a homosexual advance, but was unable to present any evidence at trial to support this claim...Parsons was executed by lethal injection at Utah State Prison in October 1999.

In 1995, one of the highest-profile cases to make use of the gay panic defense was the Michigan trial of Jonathan Schmitz, who killed his friend Scott Amedure after learning, during a taping of The Jenny Jones Show, that Amedure was sexually attracted to him...He was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to 25 to 50 years in prison.

In the 1998 murder of university student Matthew Shepard, the defendants claimed in court that the young man's homosexual proposition enraged them to the point of murder. However, Judge Barton Voigt barred this strategy, saying that it was "in effect, either a temporary insanity defense or a diminished capacity defense, such as irresistible impulse, which are not allowed in Wyoming, because they do not fit within the statutory insanity defense construct." [Shepard's attackers were convicted and sentenced to consecutive life sentences]

A transgender variation of the gay panic defense was also used in 2004–2005 in California by the three defendants in the Gwen Araujo homicide case, who claimed that they were enraged by the discovery that Araujo, a transgender teenager with whom they had engaged in sex, had male genitalia...The first trial resulted in a jury deadlock; in the second, defendants Mike Magidson and Jose Merél were convicted of second-degree murder, while the jury again deadlocked in the case of Jason Cazares. Cazares later entered a plea of no contest to charges of voluntary manslaughter.

In 2010, Vincent James McGee was charged with capital murder for stabbing and killing Richard Barrett in Mississippi.[27] McGee claimed that Barrett had dropped his pants and asked McGee to perform a sexual act on him, sending McGee into a panic.[28] McGee pleaded guilty to manslaughter, arson, and burglary on July 28, 2011.

Absent even a single case where a "gay panic" defense leads to an acquittal I'm not sure that a law prohibiting it is a necessary thing. Or even a wise thing, as we generally let defendants make whatever defense claims they feel like bringing up. They may be ridiculous and they may be barred by the judge in the case, but they're rarely excluded as a matter of law from even being attempted. This one seems especially questionable as a working defense, because a necessary element of "I killed him because he freaked me out by being gay" is "I killed him," which is the kind of thing you *don't* want to admit to the court.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Not sure why you're looking upon that "sadly," as in not a single case listed there has it resulted in a jury finding the attacker not guilty:

The goal of a defense is not always to get a not guilty verdict. A few of those have the people seem to have been convicted on lesser charges, which is the problem. The fact that "gay/trans panic" makes your decision to murder someone somehow less serious than if they weren't gay/trans.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Saagonsa posted:

The goal of a defense is not always to get a not guilty verdict. A few of those have the people seem to have been convicted on lesser charges, which is the problem. The fact that "gay/trans panic" makes your decision to murder someone somehow less serious than if they weren't gay/trans.

On the information provided, there's no basis whatsoever to say that a gay panic defense had anything to do with the outcome of any case. Parsons presented no evidence at trial to support his claim, and was executed. Schmitz's attempted defense was pretty clearly rejected because claiming diminished capacity for a crime you commit *three days after* the event that supposedly diminished your capacity doesn't pass a laugh test; he was charged with second-degree murder, and that's what he was convicted of. In the Shephard case, the diminished capacity defense was disallowed by the judge. McGee pled out before it even went to trial. The only one where there's any indication that the prosecution settled for lesser charges than they felt were warranted was Cazares, who they offered a plea deal after being unable to secure a conviction, twice, and Cazares was only tied to the crime a month after the others defendants was arrested, when he was implicated by another defendant who was offered a manslaughter plea in exchange for his testimony against the other three; that case was messy enough that you literally can't say that one defendant's gay panic defense affected the outcome at all. To the contrary, both the DA and the victim's own mother said that the jury rejected that defense:

http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=153

quote:

Justice, in many respects, has been served, according to Araujo's family. Perhaps most importantly, said some advocates, Monday's murder verdicts soundly reject the "trans panic" defense, which argued that deadly violence should be expected or excused if it is committed in response to the discovery of a partner's transgender status. Defense attorneys claimed, to varying degrees, that the victim's "sexual deception" provoked a "heat of passion" response that lessened the defendants' culpability in Araujo's killing; the jury, in refusing to deliver convictions of manslaughter and lesser charges, did not allow such a defense to have merit.

"The jury did an awesome job," said Guerrero after the verdicts were read. "We should be celebrating, not just for Gwen but for other transgender people."

In both trials, noted Lamiero, two separate juries rejected the notion that panic over a person's transgender status was a mitigating circumstance for murder.

"The jury rejected the defense that Gwen being transgender lessened [the defendants'] responsibility," Lamiero said after Monday's verdict. "We got two murder convictions. We can't overlook the value of that. Certainly we wanted more, but we got a lot."

Interestingly, the California law in question doesn't actually bar the defense from claiming "gay panic made me do it." It actually doesn't concern itself with the accused at all, and is concerned about anti-gay bias on the part of the *jury*. In other words, it's not concerned with the idea that a defendant may claim gay panic, it's concerned with the idea that certain members of the jury might hear such a defense and say "Okay, yeah, gays are icky, not guilty." It states that in any criminal trial, if any of the parties to the case requests it, the court shall instruct the jury by saying "Do not let bias, sympathy, prejudice, or public opinion influence your decision. Bias includes bias against the victim or victims, witnesses, or defendant based upon his or her disability, gender, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, gender identity, or sexual orientation.” That's it. It doesn't ban any defense.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=200520060AB1160

It's a feel-good law of zero practical importance.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

This chart is bullshit, Uniracers is absolutely for stoner.

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH
One of our business partners sent us this "Market Analysis" document that supposedly represents the, uh... number of training organisations and exams?

It's just pages and pages of these circle diagrams with no labels, no explanation of what the colours mean. What the gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tsunemori posted:

One of our business partners sent us this "Market Analysis" document that supposedly represents the, uh... number of training organisations and exams?

It's just pages and pages of these circle diagrams with no labels, no explanation of what the colours mean. What the gently caress

I think it's a colour blindness test.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

TinTower posted:

It'd probably be more accurate to say that Scientology ∈ paranormal bollocks ∩ religious bollocks ∩ quackery bollocks ∩ psuedoscientific bollocks, as you haven't proved that Scientology is the only member of that intersection. :goonsay:

Well, if you believe what the psychiatrists want you to believe

you're right, and I'm impressed ∈ and ∩ work fine on my phone

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Well, if you believe what the psychiatrists want you to believe

you're right, and I'm impressed ∈ and ∩ work fine on my phone

Unicode has been really good! The only people kind of screwed by it in a major way are Chinese based languages, where they were all forced into one region despite having incredibly different glyphs.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

foobardog posted:

Unicode has been really good! The only people kind of screwed by it in a major way are Chinese based languages, where they were all forced into one region despite having incredibly different glyphs.

I thought the codepoints are the same, but they render into the appropriate glyph depending on phone locale. Which only screws bilingual people. And is insane.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I thought the codepoints are the same, but they render into the appropriate glyph depending on phone locale. Which only screws bilingual people. And is insane.

Right, that's the problem. It'd be like if Cyrillic, Greek, and Latin all shared the same space and just changed based on country encoding.

e: Actually, I guess that was the status quo under code pages, when everything was just the ASCII space mapped to different encodings.

foobardog has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Mar 22, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tsunemori posted:

screenshots of the marketing department playing agar.io, i guess