Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

88h88 posted:

Also I can sell you a high grade wooden dial to enhance the quality of your German humour. $675.

Thanks, but I think I'm going to give this polished river-stone a go first. Maybe I'll finally understand irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

flosofl posted:

Thanks, but I think I'm going to give this polished river-stone a go first. Maybe I'll finally understand irony.

It depends on how much iron there is in that river stone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Get ready, boys and girls, for HD Vinyl! :rolleyes:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/15/high-definition-vinyl-will-soon-become-a-reality/

Beneath the audiophile wank, there's actually a point to what they're doing. The current production lines for vinyl records are based on old machinery that is getting harder and harder to maintain, and the pressing plants are running at full capacity all the time just to keep up with demand.

Still, it's all a bit silly, isn't it?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Meh, I'll wait for 4k vinyl.

Oh wait, they already have that. I think they called it Red Book audio :can:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Would go well with one of these:

http://elpj.com/

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 17, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Have they solved the dust issue with those yet?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/news/study-suggests-high-res-imperceptible/45899

Frankly I am astounded at this news

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ron Hitchcock posted:

These listening tests during the 139th AES Convention were surely conducted on the floor of the convention. Anyone unable to hear the difference between CD and HD quality audio shouldn't be in the audio business, or what's left of it. As a music mixer and industry professional I might suggest that negative papers attempting to further derail the virtues of audio quality should be left in the annals of Uranus.

With guys like this no wonder their beloved industry is in the shitter.

"You see we push audio quality so hard that we don't mind having more IMD in the audible range with hiiiiiigh reeeeez"

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 22, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The sort of audio spergery in the linked Youtube video in that article still appeals to me on some levels, but honestly...if it's not the sort of difference that can be perceived in a casual listening session, is it really worth fussing over for normal (or even semi-critical) listening? Also I really want to blare a super tweeter in a PVC pipe at my ear from a few feet away. I need to get rid of whatever hearing sensitivity I have remaining :psyduck:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Palladium posted:

With guys like this no wonder their beloved industry is in the shitter.

"You see we push audio quality so hard that we don't mind having more IMD in the audible range with hiiiiiigh reeeeez"

It's stage one of the audiophile re-step. "I would hear a difference, clearly they don't have golden ears" :smug:
OK THEN bro here's the same thing
"I couldn't hear a difference therefore your test is wrong" :smug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stereophile's advertiser apprectiation recommended components list is out!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I relied on audiophiles when selling my beat up gen 1 PlayStation on eBay, they have some uses.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a fleshy midrange I can offer some audiophiles.

Wait, there's no cute girl audiophiles are there? Never mind.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

qirex posted:

Isn't that the one woth the gimped DAC that is audibly worse than even the cheapest modern ones?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

qirex posted:

I needed this today, thank you

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Woolie Wool posted:

Isn't that the one woth the gimped DAC that is audibly worse than even the cheapest modern ones?

Don't you know there aren't any competent audio EE engineers left since the 90s? gently caress you and your modern equipment.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Woolie Wool posted:

As I say every time this comes up, there was a lot of crosstalk with the video circuitry that was plainly audible to anyone who was under 60 and/or had not worked with a demolition crew without hearing protection.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, there's no cute girl audiophiles are there? Never mind.

EveAnna Manley?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I dug out my original Playstation whenever this was being bandied about aaaaaaaaaand it sounded like poo poo. It did come with rad presets so I could listen to my music like I was in a church though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

88h88 posted:

I dug out my original Playstation whenever this was being bandied about aaaaaaaaaand it sounded like poo poo. It did come with rad presets so I could listen to my music like I was in a church though.

I don't recall that, but the visualizations ruled

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

88h88 posted:

I dug out my original Playstation whenever this was being bandied about aaaaaaaaaand it sounded like poo poo.
That's just your interconnects letting you down.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I impressed a girl with the PS1's CD visualisations whilst playing Linkin Park and got laid for the first time.
With that in mind I'd agree it's the best CD player.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

I don't recall that, but the visualizations ruled

Back in the dayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Also searching Playstation CD player got me this level of bullshit. Audiophiles really go full retard on stuff don't they?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
The PS1 with the big hifi equipment feet is pretty cute though

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Like this kid:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anime Reference posted:

That's just your interconnects letting you down.
Obviously you can't just buy a $25 playstation off eBay and expect it to sound good. What are you, some sort of critical thinker?

To really bring out the taste and agility in the sound you need to pair it with $6000 interconnects and a $80000 amplifier with pure-gold transformer cores, feeding the latest top of the line speakers with speaker cones made from the skin of unicorn foals and a price tag of $yourfirstborn.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha I was going to joke that the PS1 must be inferior as it only uses an ungrounded polarised power cable, so of course someone in that photo series has modded one to a 3 pin. The 3rd pin probably doesn't actually lead to anything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It connects to a wood screw driven into the side of the plastic casing. :pseudo:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Pfft, PS1? The Sega Saturn had space ships flying around an infinite star field! Which made the sound that much more spacious.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

88h88 posted:

Back in the dayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Also searching Playstation CD player got me this level of bullshit. Audiophiles really go full retard on stuff don't they?

I think I had a different firmware, my cd player looked way different

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

Later firmware it seems on yours. I wonder what other changes there were.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There were tons of changes. The Sony PlayStation 1 had 28 distinct normal models and 14 distinct debugging models/models for the Net Yaroze home development system.

Across these were three different revisions of the basic chipset, 4 different combinations of read laser/laser assembly material/laser assembly location (done because the earliest models had a laser that died quickly, and because there were overheating problems with the original laser assembly material and location), 13 BIOS revisions, and then there was changes in having S-Video out on a normal plug or not, having RCA composite and audio out on normal plugs or not, having the parallel port or not and having a serial port or not.

For instance, with the SCPH-7000/7001/7002 models introduced in 1997 (the number at the end indicates Japan/North America/PAL) there was introduction of a brand new set of music visualizations with an audio CD inserted, there's only the proprietary AV port, you still have serial/parallel ports on the back, the laser assembly is moved to the right hand side and made of metal so it won't melt over time as the plastic one could, and you've got either the 4.0 or 4.1 BIOS depending on region.

Basically the PS1 had an insane amount of variability!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That is indeed an impressive amount of variation. The first ones with the dodgy laser were a hoot. Load CD, close lid, turn Playstation upside down and it worked. For a while at least.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
http://foofighters.com/soundproofing

Foo Fighters are the coolest.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

88h88 posted:

Later firmware it seems on yours. I wonder what other changes there were.

They must have changed that pretty quicly. I bought my (first) Playstation in February 96.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TomR posted:

http://foofighters.com/soundproofing

Foo Fighters are the coolest.

As long as we discount their batshit views on AIDS.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I'm pretty sure that was just the bass player, and he's since recanted those views.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's something at least. Progress is good!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

That's the later model. It's specifically the first model the audiophools get excited about, the one with the grey tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

For some audiophools it's all about finding the one secret trick that the big electronics companies don't want you to know about.

The oppo blu ray player is a classic example. For $2000 these folks will make it amazing: http://customanalogue.com/oppo_L3.htm

quote:

Post-DAC Circuit - Diamond Transistor. Want the sound that is more associated with tubes? Diamond Transistor theory. It is recognised that the humble Triode is the most linear voltage device we know and that transistors are not as linear in their native current device mode. The Diamond Transistor is not a transistor perse' - but rather is circuit method or topology, that achieves an incredible level of accuracy and works as a transconconductance amplifier, where input is voltage and the output is current. Literally one point in the circuit emulates a near perfect Collector, and another point is the Base (high impedance) and finally the Emitter (low impedance). I do know one very high-end manufacturer that uses Diamond Transistors in their very best designs, and we have a lot of respect for this designer.

I'm no EE but I smell BS.