Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Anyone into the River City Ransom remake that got announced in Japan? I think it got brought up in the other 3ds thread but not here. I'm leaning more towards just getting the NES port over holding out hope for a western release.

Arc System Works has said they plan on bringing more of the Kunio-Kun series to the West now that they own all the rights to the entire series. They already put out River City Super Sports Challenge (kind of a Crash n the Boys update) out on PS3 and PC in the fall of last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
And this is exactly why Sony and Microsoft need to not proceed with building x.5 models of their current consoles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MisterAlex posted:

And this is exactly why Sony and Microsoft need to not proceed with building x.5 models of their current consoles.

Hyrule Warriors Legends is a misstep in labelling of the game, not in the enhanced hardware itself.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There's nothing wrong with having the New 3DS be a bit stronger than the normal 3DS, there is something wrong about having a game be backwards compatible with the old 3DS and labeled as an old 3DS game but being complete garbage if you don't play it on the New 3DS.

That said I wouldn't be on board with a PS4.5 or something, upgrading a console is asking a bit more than upgrading a handheld for a bunch of reasons.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

There's a big ol' sale in the NA eshop right now on the second season of the Sega 3D Classics line including Outrun and Gunstar Heroes. Sale ends on April 4th though so maybe wait a few days until the new reward program kicks in before you grab them

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

C'mon dude there's 4 AOE games, if you include Age of Mythology. Let's count the number of full musou-style games that Omega Force has developed:

Dynasty Warriors 1-8
Dynasty Warriors Empires 4-8
Samurai Warriors 1 through 4-II
Samurai Warriors Empires 2-4
Warriors Orochi 1-3
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1-3 & Reborn
Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce
One Piece Pirate Warriors 1-3
Fist of the North Star 1 & 2
Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
Arslan: Warriors of Legend

36 games!!! That's a poo poo ton of games and content, and that doesn't even include other offshoots/similar series like Bladestorm, Crimson Sea, Kessen, Dynasty Tactics, Legend of Troy, etc.

Yeah, if you only count the mainline Dynasty Warriors games that's only 8, but, correct me if I'm wrong, most people consider all the musou games to be housed under one umbrella.

you're right in that it's a lot of games, but you also have to consider that it's basically its own genre. like the only games remotely similar are either juts not good (senran kagura spinoff, neptunia spinoff, the 9000 troops one) or not coming over here (sengoku basera). i play a bunch of warriors games, but its basically the same thing as other people playing a bunch of fps games

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fawf posted:

There's a big ol' sale in the NA eshop right now on the second season of the Sega 3D Classics line including Outrun and Gunstar Heroes. Sale ends on April 4th though so maybe wait a few days until the new reward program kicks in before you grab them

Full list: ($3.99 each, so 33% off)

3D Afterburner 2
3D Ecco the Dolphin
3D Gunstar Heroes
3D Outrun
3D Shinobi 3
3D Space Harrier
3D Streets of Rage
3D Streets of Rage 2
3D Super Hang-On

Sega 3D Classics not on sale: Sonic 1 & 2, Fantasy Zone 1 & 2, Altered Beast, Galaxy Force, Thunder Blade, most of which are on the upcoming retail compilation (everything but Sonic 2 & FZ1).

Other Segatlus games on sale:

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold - $39.99
Stella Glow - $39.99
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX - $29.99
Etrian Odyssey Untold - $9.99

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I was hoping for a Galaxy Force II sale. I can't help but laugh at myself that $6 vs. $4 is preventing me from a purchase. Like I'm poor but not that poor.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

Hyrule Warriors Legends is a misstep in labelling of the game, not in the enhanced hardware itself.

This is seriously becoming a meme by now. Releasing a souped up version of a console halfway through the life of the console isn't good for anyone, and I was one of the people who bought both.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

This is seriously becoming a meme by now. Releasing a souped up version of a console halfway through the life of the console isn't good for anyone, and I was one of the people who bought both.

I enjoy having a faster processor and built in amiibo support. Having a New 3DS was good for me.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
The biggest strength of console systems is their consistent, identical hardware and experience. If they produce such mid-life hardware iterations, it'll be a pain in the rear end for developers.

Are you targeting the newer hardware and then dumbing down things for the original one? How much dev/test work do you spend on each platform's version? Regardless, longterm customers will end up getting shafted.

Or do you eschew the older hardware to make your game as sweet as possible (e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D) and risk a lot of missed sales because people aren’t willing to pay for what amounts to an incremental upgrade?

...or do you just aim for parity across the systems? In that case, the newer hardware is just expensive and unnecessary.

We'll essentially end up with living room consoles becoming de facto gaming PCs but with a tradeoff of "paid online gaming" in exchange for "games that can actually be owned/traded/gifted/resold." And if the PSN/Live cross-platform deal doesn't work out, we'll continue to also have a rift between camps. And if things shift heavily toward the whole "all digital future" paradigm (which MS and Sony would no doubt love), there'll be virtually zero benefit to consoles over PCs.

As for the New 3DS, I don't doubt that there are quite few owners who have no regrets about the upgrade. That doesn't change the fact that overall it's seen a piss-poor reception overall. Nintendo has repeatedly had to lower its sales projections on it. Not a very successful business move.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

I enjoy having a faster processor and built in amiibo support. Having a New 3DS was good for me.

You always pick and choose your arguments based on what leaves Nintendo in the best light.

OP: Why the hell does Nintendo not have cross-buy support? Everyone else does it and it personally hurts me financially to buy both.
Jivjov: Nintendo has no responsibility to you as a consumer. That is not what their business plan, and they can do what they want.

OP: Releasing a piece of hardware mid-cycle that forces people to buy a new console or not play a game sucks for the consumer.
Jivjov: It's not the hardware's fault, it's the labeling. It was good for me, so it's fine.

At this point, it's like a game where I just want to see Jivjov once admit that Nintendo did something bad, but in the meantime the insane bending of logic he does to make Nintendo the good guy is amusing.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The eye tracking 3D wholly justifies the N3DS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The New 3DS thing is whatever because they release new versions Nintendo handhelds on nearly an annual basis.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

The eye tracking 3D wholly justifies the N3DS

This is why i got it too, I don't think I've played a N3DS exclusive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

At this point, it's like a game where I just want to see Jivjov once admit that Nintendo did something bad, but in the meantime the insane bending of logic he does to make Nintendo the good guy is amusing.

I completely agree that Hyrule Warriors Legends should either have been a New 3DS exclusive like Xenoblade, or come with a performance disclaimer for owners of old 3DSs. But the game running poorly on older hardware is not the fault of the hardware.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I like the New 3DS. The super stable 3D actually lets me use the 3D feature without getting dizzy after 10 minutes. Also built-in Amiibo support and faster downloading is nice. Oh, and that thumbstick nub is aces for playing Monster Hunter! I couldn't imagine playing it on a regular XL.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The N3DS always kinda felt to me like Nintendo getting a little extra money out of the 3DS before they move on to the next thing (like with the DSi XL/Game Boy Micro)

It's totally worth the upgrade if you plan on playing a lot of Monster Hunter/Smash (though I haven't booted up Smash 3DS since the Wii U version was released)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I decided to try out a smaller screen (going from OG 3DSXL) and went to a Nu3DS regular size. I like how everything looks crisper and it doesn't feel like a cheap piece of crap like the original smaller 3DS.

The slightly faster menu loading and wireless connectivity are nice but the real improvement is the eye-tracking 3D- it's the real deal and works great. I haven't bought any games that actually utilize the increased processor power/VRAM/whatever they did to the guts to make the thing faster.

The second little quasi-analog stick nipple-thing has come into play in a few games that originally would have used the Circle Pad Pro and works well enough, but dang they should have just figured out another way to put a second stick in there from the inception of the system or AT LEAST when they moved from the OG 3DS to the XL.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Full list: ($3.99 each, so 33% off)

3D Afterburner 2
3D Ecco the Dolphin
3D Gunstar Heroes
3D Outrun
3D Shinobi 3
3D Space Harrier
3D Streets of Rage
3D Streets of Rage 2
3D Super Hang-On

Sega 3D Classics not on sale: Sonic 1 & 2, Fantasy Zone 1 & 2, Altered Beast, Galaxy Force, Thunder Blade, most of which are on the upcoming retail compilation (everything but Sonic 2 & FZ1).

Other Segatlus games on sale:

Care to elaborate on this? Sounds promising

Edit: Never mind. Looked it up and the collection is anaemic and overpriced.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JustJeff88 posted:

Care to elaborate on this? Sounds promising

Edit: Never mind. Looked it up and the collection is anaemic and overpriced.

30 bucks for what, 8 games of which 2 are exclusive? I'm happy to pay for that.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Cloks posted:

30 bucks for what, 8 games of which 2 are exclusive? I'm happy to pay for that.

4, if you count the bonus Master System games. I own most of the other games on the collection except for 3D Fantasy Zone II W, but those five games are enough for me to pick it up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Discount Viscount posted:

4, if you count the bonus Master System games. I own most of the other games on the collection except for 3D Fantasy Zone II W, but those five games are enough for me to pick it up.

Well, to each his/her own. I wasn't impressed, and I am a big "collection" guy. I have numerous Midway and Sega collections for the various Sony systems.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JustJeff88 posted:

Well, to each his/her own. I wasn't impressed, and I am a big "collection" guy. I have numerous Midway and Sega collections for the various Sony systems.

No other collection has even close to the amount of work put in to make those games play in 3D

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

No other collection has even close to the amount of work put in to make those games play in 3D

Yeah M2 is great and if they were charging the standard home console price I would still say the collection is worth it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MisterAlex posted:

The biggest strength of console systems is their consistent, identical hardware and experience. If they produce such mid-life hardware iterations, it'll be a pain in the rear end for developers.

Are you targeting the newer hardware and then dumbing down things for the original one? How much dev/test work do you spend on each platform's version? Regardless, longterm customers will end up getting shafted.

Or do you eschew the older hardware to make your game as sweet as possible (e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D) and risk a lot of missed sales because people aren’t willing to pay for what amounts to an incremental upgrade?

...or do you just aim for parity across the systems? In that case, the newer hardware is just expensive and unnecessary.

We'll essentially end up with living room consoles becoming de facto gaming PCs but with a tradeoff of "paid online gaming" in exchange for "games that can actually be owned/traded/gifted/resold." And if the PSN/Live cross-platform deal doesn't work out, we'll continue to also have a rift between camps. And if things shift heavily toward the whole "all digital future" paradigm (which MS and Sony would no doubt love), there'll be virtually zero benefit to consoles over PCs.

As for the New 3DS, I don't doubt that there are quite few owners who have no regrets about the upgrade. That doesn't change the fact that overall it's seen a piss-poor reception overall. Nintendo has repeatedly had to lower its sales projections on it. Not a very successful business move.

That "all-digital future" won't be for a long time to come. Like, at least half a century. Not unless you put about a dozen ISP's to the torch and somehow pull several billion dollars of optic fiber infrastructure out of your rectum to run across most of the world.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

JustJeff88 posted:

yeah because those are just roms and emulators farted onto a disc and these have had actual work put into them

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, collection would be complete if it had double dragon on it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i wouldn't even pay $22 for that collection

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

absolutely anything posted:

yeah because those are just roms and emulators farted onto a disc and these have had actual work put into them

Actually the PS3/360 one had quite a bit of effort put into it. They even included a few Master System prequels to Genesis/MD titles, and arcade variants.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually the PS3/360 one had quite a bit of effort put into it. They even included a few Master System prequels to Genesis/MD titles, and arcade variants.

the videos they dug up were neat sure but throwing in a master system and arcade emulator isn't really the same thing as putting in the work to make everything stereoscopic and adding new modes and features and music and bosses, making 4:3 arcade games widescreen without stretching, replicating the motion of the cabinets that rocked around, all that kinda poo poo

ultimate genesis collection couldn't even bother to let you lock on sonic & knuckles to its appropriate games

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 22, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shinobi III 3D is probably the most badass game on the 3DS

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, at least until they release 3D Revenge of Shinobi.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played the first shinobi at an arcade last weekend and it sucked rear end. Big leaps between those games

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, at least until they release 3D Revenge of Shinobi.

i think that that game is really bad and shinobi 3 is really good

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

i think that that game is really bad and shinobi 3 is really good

Ninjas that handle like ninjas and chase drones on surfboards are cool but ninjas who handle like Belmonts and fight Arnie-Hulks are a little bit cooler.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

saying revenge of shinobi controls as good as a castlevania game is extremely generous

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA people, the Resident Evil games are on sale until the 29th: Revelations (Wii U) is $10, Revelations & Mercenaries 3DS are $5 each.

saying revenge of shinobi controls as good as a castlevania game is extremely generous

Yeah, to Castlevania.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, to Castlevania.

:drat:

And 100% right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

In Training posted:

Shinobi III 3D is probably the most badass game on the 3DS

I haven't played the 3D remake, but I'm prepared to back you up on this based on my memories of the Genesis version.

Also Revenge of Shinobi sucks.