Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Truga posted:

I think I've pretty much built what there is to build in this game... except find a sea glider fragment. Are these supposed to be so rare? Wiki says they're found in kelp forests, but I've scanned >100 kelp forest fragments now, none were sea glider ones.

You sure you can't already built it already? Check the fabricator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I have so much stupid hunks of gold in my lockers. Almost every non-limestone outcrop can have gold in it. I don't need all this gold!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, it's not in fab, and it's not under blueprints. I don't even have 1 scanned, much less 3 or whatever is needed :v:

Maybe I just started the game while new game was bugged.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

I have so much stupid hunks of gold in my lockers. Almost every non-limestone outcrop can have gold in it. I don't need all this gold!

Pimp My Submarine~

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I have never had a problem with this, and in fact really like the way the game handles it with the compass and nav beacons. I drop a bunch of nav beacons everywhere, and then memorize other features like "There's a vent halfway between the Lighthouse and Bird Spire Islands, there's a wreck I need to explore halfway between the Blood Kelp Chasm and the Glowing Cliffs" etc. and so on.

Also might be worth noting you can name your beacons.

I'm actually not really looking forward to the map stuff, the current navigation scheme is something I actually really like. Even without a compass and beacons you always have two points on the map - Your escape pod and the Aurora, which is more than enough to be able to reliably tell where you are. (Before I got the compass and while I was still scrounging for beacon material I basically used a clock based mapping system based around the pod with the Aurora at 12 oclock)

I will agree that the "hidden recipes" are annoying, and I do have some problems with the game, but I used to have a lot more and I 100% think they are going to fix the rest of it. They've definitely earned my trust at this point.

Truga posted:

I think I've pretty much built what there is to build in this game... except find a sea glider fragment. Are these supposed to be so rare? Wiki says they're found in kelp forests, but I've scanned >100 kelp forest fragments now, none were sea glider ones.

They are like really weird. The fragment distribution is, imo, one of the few remaining things I don't like about the game. There's no logic of any sort to their distribution, which means finding the rare ones essentially requires looking them up online and hoping. I will say that there are actually, as far as I can tell, variations in fragments based on proximity to wrecks/crashed pods. I did the same thing as you forever looking for solar panels (internet says shallows/kelp but hell if I could find any) before realizing they only seem to spawn in near crashed pods and then I found like a dozen in a row once I narrowed it down.

Also, when you say say "built all there is to build" do you have a seamoth/item updrage consoles working? I just got to that point after thinking I was done and hot drat it feels like a whole new world is open to me!

I thought the exact same thing until I got sick of my massive base losing power every night and built a long relay chain to a steam vent I filled with thermal plants, and then I was super glad to have it all.

You can also use relays as navigation aids! Follow the blue lines to get around!

The real question is what I'm going to do with all this lithium and diamond when what I really need is silver and copper...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 21, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, when you say say "built all there is to build" do you have a seamoth/item updrage consoles working? I just got to that point after thinking I was done and hot drat it feels like a whole new world is open to me!

Yep, the recharging fins and double capacity oxygen tanks are really nice. And on seamoth, the sonar and cargo upgrades are really nice. I run with 2x cargo, a sonar and a depth upgrade unless I want to go really deep (lava caves are really big)

Good info on the fragments btw, I was thinking there was a pattern to it, because I'd often find a lot of fragment a or b near each other, rather than them being scattered completely randomly, but I never narrowed it down more than "search in biome". I'm starting a new game today and I'll see what I can find.

Also, on cyclops, I actually dislike it right now. It's a slower (much bigger, sure) moth, that can't get power from a solar or thermal sea base, and while making powercells isn't a big deal, it is a fair amount of busywork IMHO.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Truga posted:

Yes, it's not in fab, and it's not under blueprints. I don't even have 1 scanned, much less 3 or whatever is needed :v:

Maybe I just started the game while new game was bugged.

I'm in a similar situation. After the farming update many people were unable to locate the fragments, which were meant to be in the kelp forest. Stuff like the solar panel and other essentials are exceedingly difficult to find even as you're up to your nipples in seamoth blueprints.

In the farming update I'm found everything there is to find and have the 'ol base/cyclops deal built and floating around but I still lack for a seaglide. The fragments just aren't in my game.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I'd really appreciate a hatch that doesn't require glass. It makes every expansion require a miserable swim back to the escape pod on top of everything else.

Also a moonpool style square room because the round ones are too cramped and samey after a while. Oh, and if this has to be a single player game how about beds to jump night to day and vice versa?

xutech fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 21, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I do hope they'll open it up to multiplayer eventually, even though it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. The thing I honestly most want right now is the ability to show off my stuff to people and show them col stuff I've discovered..

Also yeah looking forward to more room variety, but I'm assuming that one is actually planned.

I really need to check out the roadmap in more depth at some point just to get excited over what is planned.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 21, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

GlyphGryph posted:

I do wonder/hope if they'll open it up to multiplayer eventually. The thing I honestly most want right now is the ability to show off my stuff to people and show them col stuff I've discovered...

Also yeah looking forward to more room variety, but I'm assuming that one is actually planned.

The game was originally conceived of as a co-op, if I recall my original dev conversations correctly, and that they're still very interested in the game allowing for that scale. However they've shifted their goals to addressing that ambition following the completion of the game rather than attempting to manage the development of the game and the stability of multiplayer concurrently.

fake edit: http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-multiplayer-when-if-how-and-why/

There we go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hah, that was quick, I'd already edited the post to include a reference to that post when I remembered I'd read about it before.

Honestly, I think it's a good approach. As great as multiplayer would be, I'm happy with them continuing to work on the core experience instead with maybe plans on doing a multiplayer version later.

I still want it though.

Going through the roadmap, looks like in the near term we can expect (that I found notable):

o2 supplies in in bases and sea moths (and buildable things/upgrades to generate o2 from power/plants/etc).
Battery charging stations
remove terraformer (noooooo, I love the terraformer)
A new zone called "Lost River"
Lots of Cyclops improvements

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 21, 2016

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I need multiplayer if only so I can start my Sealab 2021 Roleplay server

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure silver can easily be found in the grassy plateaus. Look for the rocks at the edge of and in the middle of the red grass. The problem is the rocks are the same color as the sand so you think you've found one and jump out of the seamoth and it turns out it was just a gap in the grass.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

A new zone called "Lost River"

Lost River should be pretty neat. It's a super deep zone where some sort of dense chemical mix forms an underwater river. I think it's inspired by the deep sea super dense brine pools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZD2STt_OU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

I have never had a problem with this, and in fact really like the way the game handles it with the compass and nav beacons. I drop a bunch of nav beacons everywhere, and then memorize other features like "There's a vent halfway between the Lighthouse and Bird Spire Islands, there's a wreck I need to explore halfway between the Blood Kelp Chasm and the Glowing Cliffs" etc. and so on.

Also might be worth noting you can name your beacons.

When I wrote this post I did not know about the compass. It did make it much more navigable. I know to use my pod and the aurora to orient but when I am deep looking for stuff and want to head home. I hated having to surface to know where I am at. With the compass I head straight for home. Also the beacons and pods don't always showe up. Often I have to move around quite a bit before I can see the markers.

Abd kets agree to disagree on the map! I think it would be great. The kind that unlocks as you advance of course.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If I had to choose one thing to add it'd be the ability to recharge the cyclops via relays. Honestly it just makes perfect sense. It ain't too bad to manufacture power cells but still. I'd totally build bases that're basically recharge/resupply stations with thermal/solar/nuke power, along with small-scale farming and a water purifier.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 21, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

They are like really weird. The fragment distribution is, imo, one of the few remaining things I don't like about the game. There's no logic of any sort to their distribution, which means finding the rare ones essentially requires looking them up online and hoping. I will say that there are actually, as far as I can tell, variations in fragments based on proximity to wrecks/crashed pods. I did the same thing as you forever looking for solar panels (internet says shallows/kelp but hell if I could find any) before realizing they only seem to spawn in near crashed pods and then I found like a dozen in a row once I narrowed it down.
The biggest problem with the fragment distribution for me is that the locations don't make any sense when compared to your tech progression. I'm drowning in Seamoth Upgrade Console fragments gathered from the Grassy Plateaus long before I can get Moon Pool fragments from the Grand Reef, even though the Console Fragments can't be used until I can build a Moon Pool, and the main reason to pursue this line of upgrades is so that the Seamoth can survive the pressures of biomes like... the Grand Reef.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

The biggest problem with the fragment distribution for me is that the locations don't make any sense when compared to your tech progression. I'm drowning in Seamoth Upgrade Console fragments gathered from the Grassy Plateaus long before I can get Moon Pool fragments from the Grand Reef, even though the Console Fragments can't be used until I can build a Moon Pool, and the main reason to pursue this line of upgrades is so that the Seamoth can survive the pressures of biomes like... the Grand Reef.

Yeah, I got stuck in this loop. No moon pool =/= can't upgrade seamoth to find moon pool parts.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Akion posted:

Yeah, I got stuck in this loop. No moon pool =/= can't upgrade seamoth to find moon pool parts.

I just took the moth down to just above it's crush depth over the grand reef and swam from there. I had a repulsion cannon or stasis rifle with me and managed to get what I needed. Got dicey a few times though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Incidentally, you can't harvest stuff from inside the Cyclops, right? How are you supposed to grab stuff beyond suit crush depth?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lemon-Lime posted:

Incidentally, you can't harvest stuff from inside the Cyclops, right? How are you supposed to grab stuff beyond suit crush depth?

Unless something has changed since I last played, I don't think the player can die from depth. I used to dive well below the record for how deep a human can dive,as well as well below the tolerance of a seamoth packed full of upgrades for depth.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

The players starting suit is basically magic in terms of it's ability to withstand pressure, made of future sci-fi materials designed to protect completely from g-forces in particular but all sources of pressure in general. I imagine it's using some sort of crazy gravity tech, similar to what the pod uses as an anchor and what the propulsion gun uses to manipulate stuff, but to a much finer level of detail and manufacturing than you can manage on planet.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

The players starting suit is basically magic in terms of it's ability to withstand pressure, made of future sci-fi materials designed to protect completely from g-forces in particular but all sources of pressure in general. I imagine it's using some sort of crazy gravity tech, similar to what the pod uses as an anchor and what the propulsion gun uses to manipulate stuff, but to a much finer level of detail and manufacturing than you can manage on planet.

It's only magic right now. In the future, for extreme depths and temperatures you're going to need the Exosuit.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Where's my phasetech, Alterra Corporation?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also, for the person looking for the seaglide, I just found one. Not near a wreck, but very close to start. From the initial pod position, head due NW. There's a drop off into the kelp, and then a stone arch. Just beyond the stone arch there's a mobile vehicle bay fragment... and a seaglide fragment! It's on a raised section, not on the very bottom. Anyways, if you keep going, there's actually another two more a bit further on on the ground beneath a very high spot (not on the high spot itself).

I'll report the location of any more I find, but there's three right next to start in basically a line NW from the initial pod, not far into the kelp at all, so I figure it might be useful to you.

Edit: Just found several more. The answer definitely seems to be "check the kelp NW of of the start pod" (directly away from a spot just behind the crashed ship)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 22, 2016

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Paracelsus posted:

Just found this on their To Do list

"Rework fragments so only in wreckage, Wrecks, Aurora, LifePods (6ish), Abandoned Bases (3-5)"

This makes more sense and should make them easier to find than sweeping the bottom of the ocean.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Has anyone spent much time down in the Inactive Lava Zone? I'm finally able to get some depth, but I'm still only on the verge of being able to go inside. It's crazy deep. Need to craft more pressure upgrades...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

If my base loses power do the fish in my aquariums die?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

No, they're fine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Efexeye posted:

If my base loses power do the fish in my aquariums die?

GlyphGryph posted:

No, they're fine.

Yeah, I had an aquarium long before I even had a working power source. good thing too, not a single fish near my base all of a sudden, so its a good thing I got 10 peepers at hand at all times

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rotten Cookies posted:

I too look forward to becoming Howlin' Mad Murphy in this game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

im gonna be an adrienne barbeaubot

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I had an aquarium long before I even had a working power source. good thing too, not a single fish near my base all of a sudden, so its a good thing I got 10 peepers at hand at all times

Wild fish and plants don't repopulate or respawn; you may have killed off the local stuff around your base.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I hope the devs eventually add otters to the game.... sexy otters!

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Wild fish and plants don't repopulate or respawn; you may have killed off the local stuff around your base.

Thats why I use my aquarium to repopulate the fish! Its too bad I cant do the same with plants but at least I have exterior growbeds for creepvines.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rotten Cookies posted:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gonna make sure i wear this shirt when i play now:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Where's my phasetech, Alterra Corporation?

Would actually be nice to have teleporters to different bases.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LuiCypher posted:

Shut up, mailbox head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I bought this game when it was on sale on steam and have been really enjoying it. It is a solid 20-30 hours of game play which is more than a lot of AAA games can say. I think I've just about hit the wall of everything I can do now. I believe I have just a few more areas deep down I would like to explore, but that's about it. The only real criticisms I have can be explained by early access / in development. I'll probably play it again after full release or it gets LAN/multiplayer support added.