Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that explains why my exclamation points stopped working, that guy used up the internet's quota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

doing over 10 miles an hour slower than that

:downs:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
These are the people you shared a road with? http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/21/lorry-driver-given-parking-ticket-despite-being-dead-at-the-wheel-5766372/

Metro.co.uk posted:

A lorry driver who had parked up with his hazard lights on was given a parking ticket despite being dead at the wheel.

The body of a 52-year-old man was discovered in the cab of the lorry in Bolton on March 18.

Police were called to the scene following reports that a HGV driver had ‘suffered a medical episode’.

It later emerged that a warden working for contractor NSL on behalf of Bolton Council issued the lorry a parking ticket.

NSL say the enforcement officer had not seen the driver in the lorry when he issued the ticket.

A spokesperson for NSL said: ‘We can confirm that an HGV was issued with a Penalty Charge Notice for illegal parking on March 18.

‘As a matter of routine, an enforcement officer took a photograph of the vehicle and undertook a cursory external inspection from the roadside prior to issuing the notice.

‘On review there is nothing to suggest that the HGV driver was in his cab at the time the ticket was issued.

‘Naturally, all of our thoughts go out to the driver and his family and friends.’

Police have said the man’s death is not being treated as suspicious and is now with the Bolton corner.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Been a while since I saw any really dumb driving, but got a twofer today; first I saw some fool driving a goddamn tractor (the farming kind, not the truck kind) at <20km/h on the motorway this morning. Then this evening, some idiot a few cars in front of me comes to a dead stop on a roundabout exit, sits there for a bit blocking the exit while cars start queuing up behind him, then finally pulls an illegal U-turn to go back into the roundabout. :cripes:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How else do you expect him to move his tractor from one place to another?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

PCOS Bill posted:

How else do you expect him to move his tractor from one place to another?

Using literally any of the other roads in the country where it's perfectly legal to drive a tractor, instead of a 120km/h motorway where it's not legal to drive tractors (or anything else that can't go at least 50km/h).

He got on at the Newport roundabout, too, right outside Limerick city, so it's not like this was out in the boonies. No idea what the guy was thinking.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah I saw that video earlier of the old man swerving into the biker but I didn't see the part with the old man being a dick. What a loving rear end in a top hat. He deserves at least one kick to the balls, probably several.

It's also probably good that the filming cyclist kept his cool because he was probably packing.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah I saw that video earlier of the old man swerving into the biker but I didn't see the part with the old man being a dick. What a loving rear end in a top hat. He deserves at least one kick to the balls, probably several.

It's also probably good that the filming cyclist kept his cool because he was probably packing.

Everyone involved probably was.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other side of the problem, with spring in full force all the morons are starting to bring their crotch rockets out of hibernation.

Commute home this evening some twit was cruising two feet off my rear bumper at ~40 and kept drifting around in the lane to poke around me and see if there was an opportunity to pass. He also kept doing that wobble left and right thing that riders sometimes do when showing off.

I lost sight of him when he dove into a gas station to cut around a red light and floored it off into the distance.

gently caress off, whoever you were.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LreWfR_p__M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfWI4AATpjI

I've never wanted to kick someone's balls so hard in my life. Hope this fuckass pulls that kind of poo poo with some Hells Angels one day and gets what he has coming to him

That was actually local to me. The guy is a massive piece of poo poo and tried to run down a couple of 13 years old several years ago (tried and convicted in 2007), and has plenty of other charges over the years. His criminal record goes back to the 1980s...

quote:

Records show he has also faced charges for everything from family violence assault, to unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, reckless driving, abusive calls to 911 and making a terroristic threat.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Almost had my bumper removed by an idiot in a two lane roundabout. I've never felt good in a two lane roundabout, someone is always about to do something insanely stupid

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The crotch rocket crowd bothers me less than the Harley crowd who feel that no muffler and just BRAAAAAAAAAAAP down a residential street at night is an acceptable thing to do ever. gently caress those goddamned things.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

The crotch rocket crowd bothers me less than the Harley crowd who feel that no muffler and just BRAAAAAAAAAAAP down a residential street at night is an acceptable thing to do ever. gently caress those goddamned things.

Loud pipes save lives.

I had an interesting thing on Sunday night, though not quite the road. I drive a boat for a living, and While making a passage, in the pitch black, I just happened to glance to the port side and see a sailboat with no lights cruising away from me. The boat barely showed up on the radar, and we were set to .75 kn. Morons.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

HP Printing Solutions

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should mount a flashlight behind it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

SpannerX posted:

Loud pipes save lives.

The problem with that is they only save the lives of the assholes who ride around with loud pipes. Maybe my car isn't luxurious enough to have top tier sound deadening but I can hear normal motorcycles in my vicinity just fine.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

SpannerX posted:

Loud pipes save lives.

No they don't. If people aren't looking, they also aren't listening. It just annoys the poo poo out of everyone.

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/stop-saying-loud-pipes-save-lives

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/last-word-loud-pipes-tech-matters

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/most-common-motorcycle-myths-debunked-part-1-45969.html

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
listen man you just dont understand the freedom of the road nothing makes me feel more alive than just cruising and splattering my brains across the road because helmets are for pussies SHARE THE ROAD

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

go3 posted:

listen man you just dont understand the freedom of the road nothing makes me feel more alive than just cruising and splattering my brains across the road because helmets are for pussies SHARE THE ROAD
At least squid-level protective gear has little impact on the rest of society save for the poor bloke on shovel and hosepipe duty.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

SpannerX posted:

Loud pipes save lives.

Try living on the corner of a busy intersection in a car / motorcycle town for a few years then tell me if you agree. I love being woken up in all hours of the night because they decide they want to rev the engine and take off like a rocket at the stoplights. gently caress those guys and their compensation bikes and cars.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 22, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

What an unmitigated shitheel.

I was gonna say your remark was a bit harsh, but no. He deserves everything done to him, that he did to other people.

I originally wrote something far harsher but decided to tone it down.

Either way, gently caress that guy. He deserves to be drowned in a bucket full of ticks that are on fire.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

davebo posted:

The problem with that is they only save the lives of the assholes who ride around with loud pipes. Maybe my car isn't luxurious enough to have top tier sound deadening but I can hear normal motorcycles in my vicinity just fine.

Solar Coaster posted:

Try living on the corner of a busy intersection in a car / motorcycle town for a few years then tell me if you agree. I love being woken up in all hours of the night because they decide they want to rev the engine and take off like a rocket at the stoplights. gently caress those guys and their compensation bikes and cars.

Uh, I was joking. I live on a main st. with a large hill beside me, and I hate large pipes. They suck.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

Hope this fuckass pulls that kind of poo poo with some Hells Angels one day and gets what he has coming to him

Guys like that tend to pick their targets carefully, so they won't pull their bullshit on anyone who looks like they'll gently caress him up proper for doing so.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SpannerX posted:

Uh, I was joking. I live on a main st. with a large hill beside me, and I hate large pipes. They suck.

Around here it's a mix of purposely installed loud exhaust, and someone being too lazy or cheap to replace a busted muffler. Even the other night I was watching a movie and heard some godawful metal screeching behind my apartment, and some guy rolling down the street in typical fashion with a half-beaten mid 90s Lexus that had rims that were probably worth more than the car. Looked like the front passenger wheel was a bit saggy and that's where the screeching was coming from...so I watched the dude stop a couple times, get out, look at the wheel, drive up the road again, then turn around in a driveway and (I assume) head back the way he came to go home.

If it's not one of those things, it's dipshits that don't understand right-of-way - like the jackass that sat at a green light yesterday and decided not to use a turn signal when making his right, and someone in the opposite left turn lane almost hitting them because neither idiot could decide who should go first. Dude, right turn has right of way, don't get pissed at me and flip out at the wheel when I tap my horn because you don't understand that poo poo and should've been the one load your mom swallowed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's not gone right.

(spotted on reddit with no backstory unfortunately)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

SpannerX posted:

I got that you were joking, but that's a thing people do say so it was a good a time as any for us to all dogpile on idiots who don't actually read this forum.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

No boat on the trailer, so boat launch successful!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
On loud pipes, part of its morons that want to just have their penis extension be known far and wide. My first bike had an aftermarket exhaust installed which is louder yes, but the guy that installed it removed the baffles in the muffler to. That made the muffle be just a straight pipe and sounded horrible, made the bike actually perform worse, and was a friggen cop magnet. first thing I did as the owner was junk that exhaust and install stock exhaust. Sounds way more natural sometimes and no one around here could hear loud pipes anyways. My new bike has aftermarket pipes from the first owner but I can install the original anytime I want, the pipes are a bit louder but not obnoxious. Main reason I want to change the pipes is because I feel like a dick at night riding home since I work nights.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a woman waiting to turn out of a gas station, but due to traffic being backed up at a red she didn't get her chance. I guess she felt slighted because no one just let her in, so she used a right turn lane to go move in front of line and blocked off both lanes all through the green light. She then flipped them off and ran the red. I swear to God, I did not make up on bit of that. What an utter oval office.

loving Florida, man.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

The issue here is that he backed up too long while turning and the trailer "jack-knifed", meaning the tongue of the trailer is in contact with the bumper. If the tongue is bent, the trailer can become unstable, and frankly he should disconnect the trailer immediately and repair the damage to the tongue before driving again. Very dangerous.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The issue here is that he backed up too long while turning and the trailer "jack-knifed", meaning the tongue of the trailer is in contact with the bumper. If the tongue is bent, the trailer can become unstable, and frankly he should disconnect the trailer immediately and repair the damage to the tongue before driving again. Very dangerous.

I think a bent tongue is the least of the owner's concerns.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw a woman waiting to turn out of a gas station, but due to traffic being backed up at a red she didn't get her chance. I guess she felt slighted because no one just let her in, so she used a right turn lane to go move in front of line and blocked off both lanes all through the green light. She then flipped them off and ran the red. I swear to God, I did not make up on bit of that. What an utter oval office.

loving Florida, man.

This happens all the time on my commute home, but due to far right lane changing to a right turn only at when it intersects a major road. There are signs all the way back to the stop light before it cuts off, but people still use it and merge in at the last minute because the lane typically moves faster with people turning right.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9973113,-96.828941,71m/data=!3m1!1e3

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

SyHopeful posted:

I think a bent tongue is the least of the owner's concerns.

:thejoke:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
These are the people I share a parking lot with.

Check out the all new electric Chevy Blazer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
He is daring you to tow it. He probably doesn't want it back. It is like a free trailblazer disposal spot.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

sleepy.eyes posted:

loving Florida, man.

all you really need to say there.. :rolleyes:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

These are the people I share a parking lot with.

Check out the all new electric Chevy Blazer.

I've seen "alternative energy" parking spots before. Those are really dumb. Completely unenforceable and not really useful. Now the electric parking spots with charging stations, you should probably get tickets for parking in those if your car doesn't drink lightning.

Does that spot have a charger?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

um excuse me posted:

I've seen "alternative energy" parking spots before. Those are really dumb. Completely unenforceable and not really useful.

Agreed, although I've considered making an "Alternative Fuel Vehicle" sticker for my Jeep just to gently caress with people.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

um excuse me posted:

Now the electric parking spots with charging stations, you should probably get tickets for parking in those if your car doesn't drink lightning.

Competition for EV charging spots is fierce, man. Volt owners will straight up cut a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

um excuse me posted:

I've seen "alternative energy" parking spots before. Those are really dumb. Completely unenforceable and not really useful. Now the electric parking spots with charging stations, you should probably get tickets for parking in those if your car doesn't drink lightning.

Does that spot have a charger?

Yeah, these have charging ports.

Our parking garage has 3 tiers. One set of spots for Electric cars (there are 4 spots), One set of spots for cars that score a 50 or higher on Greenercars (There are 20 of these) and hundreds of spots for every other kind of car. The rules state that if an electric spot is vacant after 10 AM you're allowed to park in it if you have a car qualified to park in one of the other low emission/fuel efficient spots. I took that picture at 9:20 AM. Meanwhile there was a BMW i3 (an electric car) parked outside, presumably because this guy, a boring subaru sedan, a volt, and the guy in a CRV had taken the electric spots before he got there. And besides, this blazer wouldn't have been eligible for that spot even after 10.

The rules about the fuel efficient spaces are loving dumb. They don't give a permit or a sticker or anything, it's all the honor system. They should have their electric spots with the chargers and the rest of the spots should just be a free for all. My former FR-S, Miata, and Fiesta ST all qualified for those "special" spots so it's kind of a joke anyway because none of these cars are all that fuel efficient anyway. I get around 26MPG on a good day on each of them.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 24, 2016