Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm starting to wonder why Babineaux doesn't ever mention that Liv seems to get into the personality of whoever she's investigating the death of. An "I'm really good at getting inside the heads of people" chameleon-level ability would be more reasonable and a fantastic pun compared to "I'm a psychic". But hey I'm looking for realism in a show about zombies where the main actress dyes her hair and throws some powder on her face, so don't mind me. (Mid-post-edit: Apparently Babineaux did point this out and I don't remember it? Can someone explain?)

He mentions this in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He talks about it to Ravi, who pretends to disregard it.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Steven Weber is loving fantastic on this show. He's having more fun with his role than anyone this side of David Anders.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Crunk Abortion posted:

Steven Weber is loving fantastic on this show. He's having more fun with his role than anyone this side of David Anders.

I will always love him for Reefer Madness.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm starting to wonder why Babineaux doesn't ever mention that Liv seems to get into the personality of whoever she's investigating the death of. An "I'm really good at getting inside the heads of people" chameleon-level ability would be more reasonable and a fantastic pun compared to "I'm a psychic". But hey I'm looking for realism in a show about zombies where the main actress dyes her hair and throws some powder on her face, so don't mind me. (Mid-post-edit: Apparently Babineaux did point this out and I don't remember it? Can someone explain?)

Have you watched the second season too? It is in the compulsive liar episode, s2 e13, about 19 minutes in. Easy to miss. There is a lot going on in that episode. Babineaux and Ravi are in the morgue.

B: How can you not see it?
    R: Sorry mate. Not sure I follow.
    B: She takes on certain personality traits of the victims we're investigating. I do my best to roll with it, figure it helps her get in tune psychically speaking.
    R: If you say so.
    B: Right now for instance the guy we are investigating is a pathological liar. She . . .
    Liv enters.
    L: Lunch is here!

He has noticed, he just assumes it is a psychic thing so he hasn't made a big deal about it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Have you watched the second season too? It is in the compulsive liar episode, s2 e13, about 19 minutes in. Easy to miss. There is a lot going on in that episode. Babineaux and Ravi are in the morgue.

B: How can you not see it?
    R: Sorry mate. Not sure I follow.
    B: She takes on certain personality traits of the victims we're investigating. I do my best to roll with it, figure it helps her get in tune psychically speaking.
    R: If you say so.
    B: Right now for instance the guy we are investigating is a pathological liar. She . . .
    Liv enters.
    L: Lunch is here!

He has noticed, he just assumes it is a psychic thing so he hasn't made a big deal about it.

Ohhh. It was sometimes hard to follow along with the little details when I was running a 102 fever. I totally lost the reasoning for Major getting rid of the dog, for instance, and kept confusing Major and Drake unless someone called them by name.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BJPaskoff posted:

Ohhh. It was sometimes hard to follow along with the little details when I was running a 102 fever. I totally lost the reasoning for Major getting rid of the dog, for instance, and kept confusing Major and Drake unless someone called them by name.

The police found out the dog had a locator device like this. Major heard about it from moments before Babs and the FBI lady were going to activate it, so he took off running to get to the dog first, and dump him.

Even without a fever it was a bit confusing because both Major and the police assumed it was implantable chip, but it was the larger collar mounted device, so the weren't tracking the dog at all they were tracking the collar. Major had dumped the collar months ago. It was edited to look like they were about to run into him at the dog groomer, but they were never anywhere near each other. It was meant to be confusing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Angela Christine posted:

Even without a fever it was a bit confusing because both Major and the police assumed it was implantable chip, but it was the larger collar mounted device, so the weren't tracking the dog at all they were tracking the collar. Major had dumped the collar months ago. It was edited to look like they were about to run into him at the dog groomer, but they were never anywhere near each other. It was meant to be confusing.

Wait, really? I thought they all knew it was a collar thing and they just edited it to look like they were getting to the groomer at the same time when in reality Major had beaten them by a few minutes and gotten away.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

raditts posted:

Wait, really? I thought they all knew it was a collar thing and they just edited it to look like they were getting to the groomer at the same time when in reality Major had beaten them by a few minutes and gotten away.

Nah, if Major thought it was a collar chip he wouldn't have dumped the dog on a bus.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

When the police find the collar they make a remark about the owner being too cheap to spring for the implantable chip. These kinds of trackers are basically tiny cell phones and are still much too large to be implantable. The cops and Major had both confused the trackers with the little rice sized RFID passive ID chips.

The dog probably did have a passive RFID chip too, which could have been a problem if it ever had to go to the vet. The company that makes the ID chips might have a database that flags lost or stolen dogs, so he could have been caught if a vet ever scanned the chip.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

New episodes start again tonight! :getin:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Holy poo poo did Rita just die?

Edit; Wait no but wtf

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
That preview!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vaughn du Clarke owns so hard.

Welp, I guess Blaine get Liv's boyfriend "killed"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So, Liv's going to follow that phone app and track down Major's stash of iced zombies.

The undercover police are going to freak out because of the disappearance of their guy in Boss's operation.

Zombie Rita better become a super fast zombie; eats her dad.

Blaine's crew is going to rebell.

And Babinaux is going to connect Ravi to the brains cover-up... somehow.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

I'm still :stare: over the Rita twist.
Was not expecting that at all.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

So, Liv's going to follow that phone app and track down Major's stash of iced zombies.

Wasn't it stowed under the seat of his car? And is probably out of time or she'd know he showed up to the restaurant.

The whole Rita situation is :eyepop:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This show is really good at juggling multiple threads and weaving them together logically, with it only very rarely becoming confusing.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Argue posted:

This show is really good at juggling multiple threads and weaving them together logically, with it only very rarely becoming confusing.
No kidding, if you'd told me a few years ago that a loving CW show could be this good I would've laughed in your face.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How long until all the characters are zombies?

Except for Clive, who still doesn't know the truth.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The undercover police are going to freak out because of the disappearance of their guy in Boss's operation.

Blaine's crew is going to rebell.

And Babinaux is going to connect Ravi to the brains cover-up... somehow.

I really hope they don't go full on zombie apocalypse with this show, because the tone it's set so far is the reason I love it, but I'm nnnnnnot really seeing any way the lid doesn't come right off this thing really soon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lycus posted:

How long until all the characters are zombies?

Except for Clive, who still doesn't know the truth.

I just re-watched the pilot. Pray Clive never find out the truth.

About 19 minutes in, Liv and Ravi in the morgue watching a zombie movie when Clive enters.
    C: Zombies! I would be a dangerous man after the zombies came! I wouldn't be making any rookie mistakes. Is that a scratch on my grandmother? Blam! Hasta la vista Memaw.
    L: Chivalry is dead.
    C: But Clive is alive!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I was expecting her to go full-on zombie mode and break down that door. But I guess it takes time to turn, or maybe she just didn't have it in her.

Either way, that was a hell of a scene. Hell of an episode, really.

Argue posted:

The writers also have this really good grasp of dramatic irony--the dog scene we were just talking about is the prime example, but it really uses the various plot threads and the level of knowledge of each character to the most. All this triple-agent stuff with Drake was leading right up to this moment--would he have told Liv everything? Could he have? We'll never know (until the bodies thaw, anyway). It's a lacuna in the plot's structure that parallels the literal action on the screen of Liv sitting at an empty booth.

(And if he'd just hung up a little earlier, he would have been in a place chosen specifically for its safety as "a highly public location with multiple exits", too.)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Holy poo poo I really was not expecting the Rita twist :stare:

Also loved Liv's non-costume just being Rose McIver without the makeup.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Liv in normal make up and blonde hair is unsettling.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Hollismason posted:

Liv in normal make up and blonde hair is unsettling.

It... Just doesn't look natural.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Yeah, It's quite jarring, even though before this show I knew her as:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Senerio posted:

Yeah, It's quite jarring, even though before this show I knew her as:

Today I learned Rose McIver was...a Power Ranger? :wtc: Are there still Power Rangers? How did this happen?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Carrasco posted:

I was expecting her to go full-on zombie mode and break down that door.

This isn't that kind of show, but I'd be very amused if this is what happened, they cut away, and we just...never see the Max Rager CEO ever again. :allears: (And also Rita is in charge.)

Also seriously missed opportunity for them to let Rose McIver talk in her native NZ accent. :eng99:

atomicgeek posted:

Today I learned Rose McIver was...a Power Ranger? :wtc: Are there still Power Rangers? How did this happen?

Children's franchises never die.

NEVER.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I love this show so much. Vaughn du Clark is a fantastic character

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The final battle betwern Liv and Vaughn should be a sing off.

About the reefer.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Also seriously missed opportunity for them to let Rose McIver talk in her native NZ accent. :eng99:

People would have complained that such a "fake" accent is offensive. So they totally should have done that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

atomicgeek posted:

You should maybe watch Masters of Sex.

e: and by that I mean not in the pervy way (although go for it, I can't exactly judge) but in that it's a sign of a great actor/actress if they've been in all sorts of things as completely different characters and they aren't instantly recognised because they're so different. She has range.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 24, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of goofy how the commercials made a big deal about Liv's "human" look and then it turned out to just be a disguise.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Flagrant Abuse posted:

No kidding, if you'd told me a few years ago that a loving CW show could be this good I would've laughed in your face.

Arrow is in like season 4, the 100 in season 3, Flash in season 2 and whatever else. If anything I'd be more worried about season 3 being terrible than a new CW show that might tickle your fancy being bad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Cactus posted:

You should maybe watch Masters of Sex.

e: and by that I mean not in the pervy way (although go for it, I can't exactly judge) but in that it's a sign of a great actor/actress if they've been in all sorts of things as completely different characters and they aren't instantly recognised because they're so different. She has range.

I caught The Lovely Bones on TV the other week and only realised 2/3s through where I had seen the main character's teen sister before. Didn't realise the film was that old, cripes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Welp, I guess Blaine get Liv's boyfriend "killed"
I'm thinking maybe he was feeling all sentimental already when he did that, and decided to get him out of Liv's life because he knows about the whole triple-agent thing.

This isn't that kind of show, but I'd be very amused if this is what happened, they cut away, and we just...never see the Max Rager CEO ever again. :allears: (And also Rita is in charge.)
They might do it as a fake-out. Major comes into work and Rita's there acting like she's in charge so we think Vaughn's dead but then he just turns up again in the next episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Children's franchises never die.

NEVER.

BUT THEY DO GROW UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Me too. Unless you also told me the showrunner was Rob Thomas, then I would start freaking out in excitement until it premiered.

Basically what actually happened when I learned about the show being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

WONDERCON: “IZOMBIE” CAST HUNGRY FOR SEASON 3

quote:

McIver did say that she’s wanted to do a musical project since she was a young actress who guest starred on “Xena Warrior Princess” where they did an all-singing installment. But Thomas said that when they did an episode that asked Buckley to sing a little, their dream of a musical episode died.
I can't remember, have we seen an episode yet where Major tries to sing?

• Locked thread