Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Mine was mid-May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mine's March 31. :smugdog:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mine's March 31. :smugdog:

Same. Was worried I would get hosed by back log since I couldn't order till night. I bought Alexa the day it was announced for Prime preorder and was at least 2 months out of initial shippings. I feel like I maybe should have double dotted my order because I was on the fence about buying two and now who knows when it will be mass market available.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is there any way to pass a command to my Echo over the net from outside my own wifi? I'm out of town this week and want to tell it to turn on a WeMo light. The command is in the Alexa app history, can it be reissued somehow?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

beefnoodle posted:

Is there any way to pass a command to my Echo over the net from outside my own wifi? I'm out of town this week and want to tell it to turn on a WeMo light. The command is in the Alexa app history, can it be reissued somehow?

Couldn't you schedule the light to turn on by saying "Alexa turn the light on between 8pm and 10pm every night Monday through Friday"

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I'll figure that out for next time, but I'm still hoping I can command it remotely for now.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Alexa doesn't say OK anymore when I tell her to turn lights on and off, she just dings

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Alexa doesn't say OK anymore when I tell her to turn lights on and off, she just dings

The Echo subreddit has been going crazy over this.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I noticed this too. I thought she was just annoyed with me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses personal pronouns to talk about her. Also, I don't call the device the Echo; I tend to call it the Alexa, which of course wakes her up.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Well you could call it the Echo too and have it respond, not sure when they added this but on top of using Alexa or Amazon to wake her up, you can use Echo too, might not be a bad idea as the device gets more media coverage the more likely it's gonna take orders from a tv program if you use the default.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I have the Echo playing a Prime Station that was created by Amazon. It has played several songs from the station, and I wanted to know what one of them was, but I can't figure out how to find the list of the songs that it has played from the station. The Android app will show me the song that is currently playing from the Station, and a history of songs that I have played that are NOT part of the station, but will not show me the history of songs played from the station. Is there some way to see that info that I'm not understanding?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The only record will be with the station itself; some stations show their back playlists on the site. Next time it happens, if you pull up Google search on your Android phone -- don't know what the mechanism is on iPhone -- and press the microphone, Google will listen to the song and tell you what it is and, of course, how to buy it on Google.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You can always ask Alexa what song she's playing, and she usually gives song, album, artist. But that doesn't help you if it's already over.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So I'm getting a Dot on the 31st. I'm trying to suss out how this is going to actually work...

I want to put the Dot in my bedroom. The setup is powered studio monitors plugged into a sound card in my computer.

Could I plug the dot into my sound card and have it play through the speakers, while allowing pc audio to play through the speakers at the same time?

I connect the speakers through optical output, so I could plug the Dot into the 3.5mm port, but I'm just not sure if they'll work in tandem. And if they won't, I want to have the parts necessary to make this work before it arrives.

Thanks for any help that can be provided :) I would really love to do this without springing for a mixer.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 17, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Just in case you guys didn't know, the Echo now has recurring alarms. Finally.

http://lovemyecho.com/2016/03/17/recurring-alarms-on-echo-its-a-thing-now/

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Poetic Justice posted:

Just in case you guys didn't know, the Echo now has recurring alarms. Finally.

http://lovemyecho.com/2016/03/17/recurring-alarms-on-echo-its-a-thing-now/

About time. I had to go back to my cell phone since I forgot to set her a few times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish there was a way to set up two week schedules since I have alternating schedule weeks. In fact, I wish this of every alarm app I've ever seen.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Holy poo poo, they have Alec Baldwin as an alarm sound.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Taima posted:

So I'm getting a Dot on the 31st. I'm trying to suss out how this is going to actually work...

I want to put the Dot in my bedroom. The setup is powered studio monitors plugged into a sound card in my computer.

Could I plug the dot into my sound card and have it play through the speakers, while allowing pc audio to play through the speakers at the same time?

I connect the speakers through optical output, so I could plug the Dot into the 3.5mm port, but I'm just not sure if they'll work in tandem. And if they won't, I want to have the parts necessary to make this work before it arrives.

Thanks for any help that can be provided :) I would really love to do this without springing for a mixer.

Read this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-audio-device#1TC=windows-7

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Dot ordered. Ship date July 11th.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

I have the Echo playing a Prime Station that was created by Amazon. It has played several songs from the station, and I wanted to know what one of them was, but I can't figure out how to find the list of the songs that it has played from the station. The Android app will show me the song that is currently playing from the Station, and a history of songs that I have played that are NOT part of the station, but will not show me the history of songs played from the station. Is there some way to see that info that I'm not understanding?

I just happened to see on IFTTT.com that there are two Alexa recipes for tracking songs played from Prime. One logs to Evernote, the other to Google Drive. I haven't tried either of them myself, but might be worth a look for you. :)

https://ifttt.com/recipes/304870-keep-track-of-songs-played-on-your-echo

https://ifttt.com/recipes/393434-track-alexa-songs-you-ve-listened-to

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I don't think I generally need it on an ongoing basis, since it's the first time I've ever bothered to look at the played history. It just seems like a weird oversight to have a history of songs that Alexa played and...not have most of the songs in the list.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
They must have caved to the rage of the Internet, because my Alexa is back to saying OK when turning lights off and on again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Can you disable it saying "ok"? I am getting a Dot on the 31st, in large part to control my Hue lights, and I don't want it to say stuff, I just want it to turn off the lights. Like in Star Trek. The Star Trek computer didn't say poo poo when you turned on the lights. It just turned them on, because that is the way it says ok: by turning on your poo poo. That is the response.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Taima posted:

Can you disable it saying "ok"? I am getting a Dot on the 31st, in large part to control my Hue lights, and I don't want it to say stuff, I just want it to turn off the lights. Like in Star Trek. The Star Trek computer didn't say poo poo when you turned on the lights. It just turned them on, because that is the way it says ok: by turning on your poo poo. That is the response.

No.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Taima posted:

I just got a bunch of cree lights set up and am wondering the same thing. Not seeing the appeal of getting an acknowledgement each time.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

dphi posted:

I just got a bunch of cree lights set up and am wondering the same thing. Not seeing the appeal of getting an acknowledgement each time.

Instead of controlling them individually is there a reason why you don't put them in a group with the Alexa app? At least that way you would only get one acknowledgement.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Taima posted:

I don't want it to say stuff, I just want it to turn off the lights. Like in Star Trek. The Star Trek computer didn't say poo poo when you turned on the lights. It just turned them on, because that is the way it says ok: by turning on your poo poo. That is the response.

dphi posted:

Not seeing the appeal of getting an acknowledgement each time.

It's good if you want to turn off lights at the other end of the house and don't have that visual confirmation. But yeah, I'd prefer they give us the choice of "OK", the chime, or being able to disable the acknowledgement altogether.

On a related note, is there a way for the public to view patch/update notes for things like this? I found this which refers to updates for the Echo itself, but that doesn't cover these smaller changes which are presumably made to the cloud-based Alexa service.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Poetic Justice posted:

Instead of controlling them individually is there a reason why you don't put them in a group with the Alexa app? At least that way you would only get one acknowledgement.

Sorry, wasn't clear - I do have groups set up, just meant having an acknowledgement each time I turned them on or off or dimmed them. #firstworldproblems and all that

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I am having an issue intermittently though - I'll say, "Alexa, turn off living room lights", and she'll say something like, "That command is not supported by this device" and then turn them off anyway. This only happens once in a while, other times she just says "Okay". I've looked at the received commands in the app and she's hearing the correct command which is no different from what she's hearing when she says "Okay" so I'm not sure what's going on.

The lights are controlled by a Smart Things hub.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Guy from Amazon shows how to make your own Echo with a Raspberry Pi, speaker, and USB mic.

https://github.com/amzn/alexa-avs-raspberry-pi/blob/master/README.md

Of course, it's just a start to something, not something you could just use instead of an Echo. For one thing it's not always-listening.

I'm sure someone will run with this though.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 26, 2016

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
has anyone had any luck getting alexa to play a specific album on spotify by voice command? if a song and album share the same name, im pretty sure its just impossible, but i want to believe

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Verviticus posted:

has anyone had any luck getting alexa to play a specific album on spotify by voice command? if a song and album share the same name, im pretty sure its just impossible, but i want to believe

Did you try 'alexa, play the album [whatever] by [artist] from spotify'?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah. its completely random, sometimes you'll get the song, sometimes you'll get a sample of the band, sometimes you won't get anything

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Tap and dot arrived today. The Tap is pretty small and the sound is pretty great. Will be perfect for summer patio lounging. Haven't used the dot yet but it's small as you would expect.

The Tap is real neat though. Can see tethered to a phone during a BBQ being a pretty fun party trick.

Amazon has saved itself from the Fire phone debacle it seems.

Edit: La Familia

Edit 2: the dot works completely by itself. You can use it to, for example, stream music from the unit itself. Obviously the sound is tinny and thin, but in the bedroom (where mine now is) that's pretty neat. Reminiscent of, well, a clock radio speaker. Can hear news in the morning or have it read a book from Audible, etc. Alarms too. Pretty neat little thing even if you don't want a speaker connected all the time.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 31, 2016

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I like that the dot is USB powered.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really don't understand why tap can't be set to be always listening. My phone is and it's battery powered.

Got my Dot setup easily enough. Go it connected to hue, nest, and Bluetooth on my receiver.

The thing is, since the dot is USB powered, it easily becomes portable with a power pack. May not sound as good as the Tap, but it will be good enough most of the time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I really don't understand why tap can't be set to be always listening.

Yeah this is a strange one. After yelling at a few times after getting it set up, I realized that you have to push the button to have it listen. At least you don't have to say the trigger word...just say what you want it to do and you're off.

It is odd though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

I really don't understand why tap can't be set to be always listening. My phone is and it's battery powered.

From what I read, it has a single microphone instead of an array like the Echo/Dot so it wouldn't work as well while always listening. Amazon always seems to err on the side of caution when it comes to walling people off from situations that would technically work but not work well enough to meet their expectations.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 1, 2016