Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1E
Nov 25, 2001

EightAce: please describe your exact internal feelings and emotions when Chris Roberts looked you in the eye and said "er... everything is FINE... emm... we have FAT STACKS of ummm... cash".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't need your wisdom or prophetic advice because, at this point, it is just platitude. "Called out" for responding to a question about how much I spent? I never initially offered that sum (not until T Bibliofile, Pgabz and Eonwe chimed-in did I go on the defensive). I honestly thought half of the respondents were pretty chill. But as soon as I was asked about how much I spent, I knew where it was going to lead because some of you haven't progressed past the point of childish school-yard bullying. After all, who's to dictate how an adult should or should not spend his money? No, what I saw were some individuals obviously enamored with the fact I spent money on a game they disdain and decided to string them along after the personal attacks. So, do me a favor and spare me the derision of acting like a person in a position to offer life-lessons to others - it's an internet message board.

He did you a favor by giving you some of the best advice you could hear at this point. The main thing about this website is that it's a comedy website. Tell a joke, laugh at a joke, or be a joke. You can learn a lot by people to see how they roll with the punches, and Melkor saw you rolling in a fashion alright.

AP posted:

Armada Pack ($2500)
Gladius $90, SuperHornet $165, Gladiator $165, Sabre $170, Gemini $250, Vanguard $250, Retaliator $275, Idris P $1250

Single ships
Glaive $350, Sabre $170, Banu Merchantman $250, Carrack $350, Caterpillar $245, Cutlass Blue $150, M50 $80, 350R $100, Khartu-Al $150, Phoenix $350

Ok, so I might be out on the price with a few as they changed prices, (you also seem to have two sabres), I make that $5,495. You said you've covered some of the cost by trading stuff, but even considering that and assuming you could sell everything you own, it's still value you could get out.

Surely selling such things is a massive timesink and hassle when you're dealing with whales on the grey market? I could understand exploiting the grey market if it was easier and quicker to cash out your 'stocks'. I'd want to be able to remove all my money by making the maximum profit as quickly as possible should I hear the value of my stocks was soon to crash. Do you have such a plan if you see an official red flag ManofManyAliases? To bail everything out ASAP? Because it's not like cashing in poker chips for their value (like a refund might act) you'd have to find individual buyers for the ships you own if I'm understanding this rightly. Legit curious if you're viewing this as an investment in the same way one might consider stocks and such, because if you don't aim or plan to see a return on your financial investment, well, how good a financial return could it provide in the future? Especially if your bug out point is going to be when everyone else realizes that JPEGs have no inherent value etc?

Unless you're investing in the dreams more than the profit?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

Libluini posted:

To be honest, I'm not impressed. Without sources, everyone of us could just make that poo poo up and no-one could tell, since Star Citizen is such a huge mess we wouldn't even bat an eye if it turns out Roberts makes human sacrifices to his god, Holly Wood.

I'm not exactly swayed by "He's guessed things and he's been right in the past" either. Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Proof and all that.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Roeben posted:

I'm not exactly swayed by "He's guessed things and he's been right in the past" either. Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Proof and all that.

I want to see the three "leavers".

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

Consider the possibility that there is genuine information asymmetry here, MOMA... Consider that we really do know a lot more about the history, inner workings, misdeeds, cons, lies, myths, dysfunctions, weaknesses of Chris & Sandi / CIG. Some of us believe it IN SPITE OF DEREK ALSO BELIEVING IT. (No offense Derek but you earned a reputation over the decades!)

We watch the same CIG programming as you do, read their PR, forums, subreddits just like you do so-- probably a lot more.

And then we dig a helluva lot deeper--- into archival material and old news articles and listen to CIG podcasts nobody cared about a few years ago and read letters by ex-employees or have exchanges with former true investor goons and on and on and on. Research is a part of a daily continuum here-- it's part of why the thread grows so quickly. And at this point we know so much that even CIG management (or their subordinates) monitors the thread for actionable material. AND THEY ACT IN RESPONSE TO IT. They delete archival material they didn't even realize was damning until we pointed it out. The ban users from RSI. They spaz out in other ways.

Just be ware of the highest risk in all that in this thread: The allmighty confirmation bias. For it is blind and it does not make any distinctions, CIG or SA we are all subject to it to a larger or smaller extent.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

EightAce posted:

Chris is really pissed about ED I mean really pissed. Its everyone fault but his of course

Don't need inside info to know this is true. Every time ED announces or releases a feature suddenly CIG goes "US TOO! WE ALWAYS HAD THAT FEATURE!" even if it was never mentioned until then. Then they poo poo out a half baked video or concept art which collapses under scrutiny like the planet landing one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm still waiting for the first big leaver that everyone's been mentioning is going to leave to actually leave. Now we have 2-3 more? What are they waiting for huh? Amazons offer or something?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

MedicineHut posted:

Just be ware of the highest risk in all that in this thread: The allmighty confirmation bias. For it is blind and it does not make any distinctions, CIG or SA we are all subject to it to a larger or smaller extent.

How much are you in for, friend?

It's totally fine if you say "$4,000", as long as you don't approach it this way: "Only a pittance... $4K... which is less than the amount of pocket change I usually carry. I'm not a peasant, after all."

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

alphabettitouretti posted:

never seen that one before

parpface gary is funny but it's a shame pancake face gary didn't get more love because that was pretty hilarious too.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Roeben posted:

Well he either works at CIG or is one of these. Both are fine as far as I'm concerned.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

Surely selling such things is a massive timesink and hassle when you're dealing with whales on the grey market? I could understand exploiting the grey market if it was easier and quicker to cash out your 'stocks'. I'd want to be able to remove all my money by making the maximum profit as quickly as possible should I hear the value of my stocks was soon to crash. Do you have such a plan if you see an official red flag ManofManyAliases? To bail everything out ASAP? Because it's not like cashing in poker chips for their value (like a refund might act) you'd have to find individual buyers for the ships you own if I'm understanding this rightly. Legit curious if you're viewing this as an investment in the same way one might consider stocks and such, because if you don't aim or plan to see a return on your financial investment, well, how good a financial return could it provide in the future? Especially if your bug out point is going to be when everyone else realizes that JPEGs have no inherent value etc?

I doubt he'll be back given the comedy frenzy around his posts. I suspect he fancies himself as a big shot poster on RSI/reddit and would come to lay some game developement logic down on the evil goon trolls. It's hard to do that though while defending spending an insane amount of cash on one game, this is the reason Karl lied about his Space Marshall investment. It's even tougher when your logic includes saying you ignore what Chris Roberts says on his weekly marketing show as it's not believable, while linking old Chris Roberts blog posts from 2013 thinking they mean anything.

To reach the point of getting his money out he'd have to admit he's been wrong about something and he doesn't seem the type. His admiral pack is $2500, he can't even gift it, he'd have to sell the account and would be lucky to get 70% of that back. The other stuff he might break even on, after paypal fees, if it's all giftable, which it's probably not. There are a lot more scams happening on the grey market so his best bet is a refund, he'll get told no and he doesn't seem smart enough to push them to do it.

You have to feel sorry for him a couple of people tried to help and got nowhere.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 23, 2016

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Dunno if anyone else picked up on this, but...

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't care so much about SQ42 as I do about PU. I want to see a Beta where persistence is actual, there is true travel between systems, and I can seamlessly transition a vehicle from space to planet surface without loading screens, a la NMS or ED: Horizons. I want to see a flushed out design, and subsequently working, economy based on initial promises of a 9:1 ratio NPC-player environment. And, I want to see the technology in place and proven to flush out the 100 star systems at launch, excusing them if they can't quite hit 100 in time for launch, but are nearly there and is just a matter of man hours using said technology to pump out the rest (after all, they are claiming that they are taking time to develop the technology to produce procedurally generated planets and artifacts, and to develop a ship pipeline that would aid in content creation in the future - so let's see).

ManofManyAliases posted:

I believe I mentioned it in an earlier post: I''m ok with another year or two of development. I'm really interested to see beta. If we make it to then, I want to see Persistence is active, seamless transition to and from planets in the style of NMS and ED: Horizons, server instance scalability and a flushed out system of or near 100 systems as promised.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Most games we play now have a closed development process until the release of beta (in most instances), at which point it's primarily flushed out and is awaiting testing from the general public for missed bugs, etc. Let me ask you - if that were the case for SC, where instead of crowd-funding 106million on the website, it was all done through KS, they provided a 5 year turn around on their promises, and then developed the game in private to be released at the end of that period for beta testing, etc, would half of these arguments even exist?

:gary:

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Roeben posted:

He has been a little too specific in the past. Remember that he called: the in game spaceship dealer, several people leaving, roberts big meeting in LA, and probably a few other things i'm forgetting. These were not vague things he guessed about. That coupled with Derek's belief is enough for me. Do you really think he would share the spotlight with EightAce if he wasn't legit?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Dunno if anyone else picked up on this, but...

:gary:

Hence “brown sea”.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AP posted:

I doubt he'll be back given the comedy frenzy around his posts. I suspect he fancies himself as a big shot poster on RSI/reddit and would come to lay some game developement logic down on the evil goon trolls. It's hard to do that though while defending spending an insane amount of cash on one game, this is the reason Karl lied about his Space Marshall investment. It's even tougher when your logic includes saying you ignore what Chris Roberts says on his weekly marketing show as it's not believable, while linking old Chris Roberts blog posts from 2013 thinking they mean anything.

To reach the point of getting his money out he'd have to admit he's been wrong about something and he doesn't seem the type. His admiral pack is $2500, he can't even gift it, he'd have to sell the account and would be lucky to get 70% of that back. The other stuff he might break even on, after paypal fees, if it's all giftable, which it's probably not. There are a lot more scams happening on the grey market so his best bet is a refund, he'll get told no and he doesn't seem smart enough to push them to do it.

You have to feel sorry for him a couple of people tried to help and got nowhere.
Quick question, did the guy pull a puppetmaster yet?

I need it for my bingo card, I don't want to sieve through his badposting to find out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Duckaerobics posted:

He has been a little too specific in the past. Remember that he called: the in game spaceship dealer, several people leaving, roberts big meeting in LA, and probably a few other things i'm forgetting. These were not vague things he guessed about. That coupled with Derek's belief is enough for me. Do you really think he would share the spotlight with EightAce if he wasn't legit?

Im still waiting for the farming though. Wanna see that farming given that SQ42 is taking the vast majority of the development man hours now.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Can you flush you space toilets in SC?

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

Space Skeleton posted:

Don't need inside info to know this is true. Every time ED announces or releases a feature suddenly CIG goes "US TOO! WE ALWAYS HAD THAT FEATURE!" even if it was never mentioned until then. Then they poo poo out a half baked video or concept art which collapses under scrutiny like the planet landing one.

This makes me realise that I haven't touched the SC proof of concept alpha since I've played E:D. Flight in E:D feels hefty (especially while piloting my space-truck) and flight in SC always felt... off. Given the crazy gifs I've seen in this thread of a Constellation turning on a dime, I'm curious how SC feels now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sandweed posted:

Can you flush you space toilets in SC?

Maybe Chris hasn't played Duke Nukem Forever (since he hasn't played anything made in the last 15 years)? Someone should sit him down in front of it so he can improve on his designs and concepts.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

Quick question, did the guy pull a puppetmaster yet?

I need it for my bingo card, I don't want to sieve through his badposting to find out.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't need your wisdom or prophetic advice because, at this point, it is just platitude. "Called out" for responding to a question about how much I spent? I never initially offered that sum (not until T Bibliofile, Pgabz and Eonwe chimed-in did I go on the defensive). I honestly thought half of the respondents were pretty chill. But as soon as I was asked about how much I spent, I knew where it was going to lead because some of you haven't progressed past the point of childish school-yard bullying. After all, who's to dictate how an adult should or should not spend his money? No, what I saw were some individuals obviously enamored with the fact I spent money on a game they disdain and decided to string them along after the personal attacks. So, do me a favor and spare me the derision of acting like a person in a position to offer life-lessons to others - it's an internet message board.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

CIG employing people to go reading this forum would mean they've probably read the transcripts from the Batgirl interviews where Ben stumbles and bumbles his way through question time. I can't imagine he got much love back at the office as a result of that.

That would be the greatest thing

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I had an idea for a picture but it woulda been really gross and made my search history weird so instead here's a person of a lot of starfish

Sort of counts as a cat picture right?

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2016

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

They're only holding back showing progress cause they don't want to spoil that Bishop, a very well-known and -liked admiral of the UEE—think of him like Maximus from Gladiator—won a battle [with the enemy Vanduul] at great personal loss; his daughter commanded one of the other ships in the fleet, and she sacrifices herself to save Bishop's ship. That's one of the reasons why Bishop is haunted.

You start out in the military earning citizenship, and you get your wish to become a fighter pilot. While you're training, Admiral Bishop and the [UEE] task force go off into Vanduul space and take the fight to them. As you come out to deploy, the news comes through that they've lost contact with the task force. Bishop goes missing, and the rest of the game is you trying to find him.

You go behind enemy lines, trying to find out where Bishop is, and you see things that have happened along the way that gives you [a reaction] like, Has he lost his mind? What's happening? It's sort of the Ninth Legion mixed with Heart of Darkness.

So you get behind enemy lines, and you find out there's a Vanduul plan to shortcut past the Earth's defenses, and you have to stop it.

At the end of it there's this big last stand, and you get back to human space. But Bishop is still left, behind the Vanduul side, kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica. You come back a bit of a war hero, and you muster out, and potentially Bishop's still out there fighting the battle behind enemy lines.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

myschef posted:

Did she get half of his ships in the divorce? I mean, since they are an investment and all.

She got the house, he got the jpegs. They both feel like they came out on top.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Pretend I posted those in reverse order it's prolly better delivery that way

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris Roberts
Sandi Gardiner
Ortwin Freyermuth

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

Serious response: I genuinely believe one of them has to be Sean Tracy.

The game, in its current state, is as strong an anti-CryEngine billboard as could ever possibly be developed. It makes him look like an idiot, especially since he literally wrote the book on game development with CryEngine.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What simple to use recording software is out there?
I have an ATI in this PC, and it came with something that was great but they updated it and it no longer works properly. I recorded something really funny last night and no video was made :(
I managed to steal a ship with a full crew on it and it was hilarious.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, in Elite:

quote:

UNKNOWN ARTEFACT PROPERTIES

The first thing you may notice is that they scan your ship. This happens as soon as you close to within 1000m of the UA (which may happen as soon as you drop into the SSS).
The UA will orient itself so the that the spherical/bulbous end points towards Merope system (and Merope star when inside the system). A UA that is bumped will reorient itself. There have been a small number of cases where a UA has been seen not oriented toward Merope; it is unknown whether this is significant behaviour or a bug.
UAs broadcast a complex audio signal. Part of the signal has been decoded. It is a highly stylised Morse code transmission consisting of blocks of 6 letters. When each pair of letters is taken as coordinates and each block is interpreted as a triangle the resulting diagram is a primitive drawing of the just scanned (i.e. your) ship.
When scooped you’ll notice that UAs are toxic cargo and cause damage to the internal components of your ship. If not mitigated they will corrode the cargo hatch to the point where it fails and then fall out. This damage increases if multiple UAs are carried.
UAs are illegal throughout the bubble but can be sold at black markets. As of 1.4 the price appears to be fixed at 150,000 Cr.

The bolded part is simply stunning.
Ingame ship-scan produces ingame audio which, when analyzed through outgame tools, produces image of ingame ship.

Clearly Star Citizen blew everyone away with their planetary landing...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's nearly the one-year anniversary of this Wired article I just found: Fans Have Dropped $77M on This Guy’s Buggy, Half-Built Game. It's a gem, read it if you haven't already. I love this bit on the ad for the Freelancer:

quote:

The ad is being produced by an effects shop that worked on Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, and it's edited and scored like a slick car commercial. Indeed, Cloud Imperium's in-fiction commercials are crafted to play up the unique appeal of each vehicle, whether sporty, rugged, or sensible. “The feel for this Musashi Freelancer ad is meant to be very blue-collar, like an ad for a pickup truck,” Roberts says. “It needs a gruff voice-over, like Sam Elliot's for the Dodge Ram or Denis Leary's for the F-150.” (The team asked Leary to voice the spot but balked at his $100,000 fee.)

Roberts issues his critique, which is more BBDO than C++. “I want to see more of the ship rolling, banking in the exterior shot,” he says. “What lens are you using? Some of those asteroids in the background feel a bit too sharp to me. They need some volumetric dust or fog.”

The spot will be released on YouTube a couple of weeks later, and it helps Cloud Imperium move more than 50,000 Freelancers at $125 a pop. But the video also gives backers a hi-res glimpse of the gameworld and adds a few more details to its lore. “We're essentially building out the world while we're building out the game,” Roberts says. “Like in Robocop, where the cheesy commercials gave you a broader picture of the world.”

Well I guess those morons who saw the slick ad consisting of zero in-game footage and felt the need to plunk down $125 right away aren't as dumb as the people who gave another $32M in the following year despite seeing nothing worthwhile.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

What simple to use recording software is out there?
I have an ATI in this PC, and it came with something that was great but they updated it and it no longer works properly. I recorded something really funny last night and no video was made :(
I managed to steal a ship with a full crew on it and it was hilarious.

I use OBS Studio, it has lots of different capture options

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

D1E posted:

Serious response: I genuinely believe one of them has to be Sean Tracy.

The game, in its current state, is as strong an anti-CryEngine billboard as could ever possibly be developed. It makes him look like an idiot, especially since he literally wrote the book on game development with CryEngine.

That guy at the first Star Citizen stage show that shouted out "Cry engine sucks!" was a sickening and heartbreaking prophet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite:

Ingame ship-scan produces ingame audio which, when analyzed through outgame tools, produces image of ingame ship.

Looks like this was during 1.4 instead of horizons proper, funny thing is the UA pointing at Merope was actually pretty significant in hindsight, since its the system where barnacles started showing up in horizons. drat, its like they are following some sort of design plan.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Looks like this was during 1.4 instead of horizons proper, funny thing is the UA pointing at Merope was actually pretty significant in hindsight, since its the system where barnacles started showing up in horizons. drat, its like they are following some sort of design plan.

What, you mean Frontier isn't run by Braben running back and forth and barking out half-baked ideas, then un-approving them just as they get nearly functional?

Heresy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite:

Thargoids finally?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It's like they have a plan that follows in some kind of order....

A straight line....

Like a road.....

It's also a map since they use it to plan......

A road map it should be called.....

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Decrepus posted:

That guy at the first Star Citizen stage show that shouted out "Cry engine sucks!" was a sickening and heartbreaking prophet.

It was Uncle Derek in disguise obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I'd love to hear just exactly what about E:D Chris is angry about. I don't mean the obvious - that Braben is casually succeeding on nearly every planned front, while Chris, expending 1000 times the effort, but with 1/1000th the skill, can't even get a functioning tech demo together. I'm talking about specifics. Why is he even watching E:D? Doesn't he have a vision? Why does someone with a vision need to constantly compare his poo poo to other games, and other movies? You'd think such a visionary developer would have such a solid plan for his own universe that he wouldn't have the time to do anything other than keep his head down and work on it.

• Locked thread