Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I competed on Saturday and got womped in both my nogi and gi matches. I have a ton of work to do on my standup game, especially against wrestler types. Learned a whole bunch and was a great experience. I will definitely train harder now and get another tournament on the calendar this year.

To do list for next tournament:

- Be a competitive weight/strength level for my division
- Learn more than two reliable takedowns
- Threaten (any) submissions
- Expect to lose a good position if you get out of bounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of competitions, hey Alfalfa, how'd yours go? Still alive?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
How much do people cut for whitebelt comps? I figured it would mostly be a few pounds but there'd be a guy doing something stupid here or there.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

A Wry Smile posted:

Just gotta hop in to say that this guy's vids are terrible. He literally does everything wrong. Here's how it should look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcSMGRq0HMY

Did someone say foot sweeps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QePfY6LMDiQ

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Siivola posted:

Speaking of competitions, hey Alfalfa, how'd yours go? Still alive?

I just came in to post lol.

It sucked.

I got put into the 18-29 white belt division for gi and everyone I went against had been doing bjj at the last 6 months more than me.

Both my gi matches my mind went blank, I couldn't comprehend what my coach was telling me to do, and both guys ended up taking my back and submitting me (I haven't worked on how to get out of that position yet... oops).

No-gi I got 3rd and should have won my first match but the ref didn't score 2 of my guard passes so I was thinking I was tied 8-8 and was going for a mount with 30 seconds left but glanced at the screen and was down 8-2 so instead of going for the mount I went to choke him and although he was gurgling he was able to hold on the final 10 seconds.

Final no-gi match I was up 8-3 with 90s left and in solid control. He tried to take my back and had a seat belt grip. I went to peel his right hand off (with my right hand) and right when I did that I realized I screwed up big time and couldn't shrimp out or turn into him and he basically slid my left arm across me and hit me with an ugly arm triangle.

So ended up getting 3rd and realized that I really like no-gi more than gi.

Also I was the only dummy in my weight class to do both gi and no-gi which made me feel even dumber lol.

I was only able to get one match filmed and it was my first one. Go figure my first match ever was against a guy who had been doing it a year, was his 4th tournament, and had never lost so far.

He hit me with that spider guard and I was like wtf...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-JZjcmR94

Next tourney won't be until June

edit: I have no clue why I had my arm on the guys neck when trying to pass his guard in that video. I know it's not what's supposed to be done, and when I was doing it I was like this isn't right, but just stuck with it for some dumb reason.

Everyone that watched the matches and the guys I went against were shocked as crap when I told them I've only been doing it 3 months and it was my first comp ever, so that at least gave me a little hope for the future.

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 21, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Good job on going out and competing. I always imagined you as your avatar, so imagine my surprise.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alfalfa posted:

It sucked.

I got put into the 18-29 white belt division for gi and everyone I went against had been doing bjj at the last 6 months more than me.

Both my gi matches my mind went blank, I couldn't comprehend what my coach was telling me to do, and both guys ended up taking my back and submitting me (I haven't worked on how to get out of that position yet... oops).

No-gi I got 3rd and should have won my first match but the ref didn't score 2 of my guard passes so I was thinking I was tied 8-8 and was going for a mount with 30 seconds left but glanced at the screen and was down 8-2 so instead of going for the mount I went to choke him and although he was gurgling he was able to hold on the final 10 seconds.

Final no-gi match I was up 8-3 with 90s left and in solid control. He tried to take my back and had a seat belt grip. I went to peel his right hand off (with my right hand) and right when I did that I realized I screwed up big time and couldn't shrimp out or turn into him and he basically slid my left arm across me and hit me with an ugly arm triangle.

So ended up getting 3rd and realized that I really like no-gi more than gi.

Also I was the only dummy in my weight class to do both gi and no-gi which made me feel even dumber lol.

I was only able to get one match filmed and it was my first one. Go figure my first match ever was against a guy who had been doing it a year, was his 4th tournament, and had never lost so far.

He hit me with that spider guard and I was like wtf...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-JZjcmR94

Next tourney won't be until June

edit: I have no clue why I had my arm on the guys neck when trying to pass his guard in that video. I know it's not what's supposed to be done, and when I was doing it I was like this isn't right, but just stuck with it for some dumb reason.

Everyone that watched the matches and the guys I went against were shocked as crap when I told them I've only been doing it 3 months and it was my first comp ever, so that at least gave me a little hope for the future.

Honestly, it sounds like it was a good tournament for you. You got a bunch of matches in, recognized mistakes and stuff you need to work on, and now know what it's like to compete. Like, you're kind of beating yourself up about your arm position while in guard, but I bet that's something you'll improve a lot on in the coming weeks now that seeing a video has made you acutely aware of it. Kudos for going, and remember, you still did better than literally everyone who didn't compete.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Seltzer posted:

How much do people cut for whitebelt comps? I figured it would mostly be a few pounds but there'd be a guy doing something stupid here or there.

Yeah basically.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Does the guy doing the stupid weightcut usually win? I figured I would cut like 5-6lbs depending on what the limits are for a whitebelt tournament. Not gonna kill myself to win a medal at the whitebelt level (not that I would ever win anyways)

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
How do people feel about sandbagging? Back in Florida we had a kid who was really good and was a blue belt, the story is he skipped out and joined another gym when he got wind he was gonna be promoted. Saw him and the rest of his new training partners at my first competition and it was a whole bunch of ripped "blue belts" who clearly were grappling at a higher level. I went up against one and pretty much got insta-armbarred. Black belt later told me not to worry about, kid was rolling at a brown belt level.

So my question. Is this accepted? What is the point of it ? To win competitions beating up people who don't have a chance? Why not fight at your actual skill level.and have an actual competitive match?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think it's generally just a thing that happens. Some schools are completely arbitrary on belt promotions, Sergio Penha's here in Vegas for example, others require you to teach classes or whatever to get promoted, so guys can stay at a belt level for a pretty long time. There can be a huge skill discrepancy within belts so you might as well compete at the level where you feel like you have the best shot of winning, you know if that's your goal in competition...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Alfalfa posted:

It sucked.
So you got in twice as many fights as everyone else, and got a medal for your troubles. I wish my first tournament will suck that much. :v:

But seriously, mad props.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dangersim posted:

How do people feel about sandbagging? Back in Florida we had a kid who was really good and was a blue belt, the story is he skipped out and joined another gym when he got wind he was gonna be promoted. Saw him and the rest of his new training partners at my first competition and it was a whole bunch of ripped "blue belts" who clearly were grappling at a higher level. I went up against one and pretty much got insta-armbarred. Black belt later told me not to worry about, kid was rolling at a brown belt level.

So my question. Is this accepted? What is the point of it ? To win competitions beating up people who don't have a chance? Why not fight at your actual skill level.and have an actual competitive match?

Yeah people like to win and maybe more importantly dont want to get beaten up/injured so tons of people sandbag. Its why i hate competing in BJJ because if your goal is just to win you have to sandbag, and up until brown/black division "winning" doesnt mean anything anyway, if youre the best white belt ever maybe that just means you are actually a blue belt, who cares. They dont have a beginner division in high school wrestling, you just wrestle. Its fun to win but i dont care at that level.

And the other better reason to compete at a low level is to get experience with the pressure of competition and roll with people from other gyms etc, but imo it sucks to pay 100 bucks plus fees or whatever to travel somewhere and wait around all day in some gymnasium to roll with 1 guy and get a medal. Id rather drive out to a gym ive never been to before and pay that money to them to sit in on a day of classes and roll with all their guys if i just wanted a fun learning experience

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah it just sucks to pay money, wait around all day, and then just get quickly beaten by a guy you never had a chance to even be competitive with.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
In some completely bizarre Rowdy Ringsports crossover, Shane McMahon is training at our academy and at the Wat for his match with the Undertaker.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Next time he rolls you should play his theme song.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

In some completely bizarre Rowdy Ringsports crossover, Shane McMahon is training at our academy and at the Wat for his match with the Undertaker.

Renzo had a brief cameo on Raw last night

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Yuns posted:

Who would win a BJJ match, Shane or Anthony Bourdain?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
There are always people just dropping by Renzo's. Braulio is in town training with us and Dan Gable dropped by as well this week during the NCAA championships. Now Shane.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 22, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I got a 10th planet subscription partly out of curiosity about rubber guard but really more cus it was only $5.

Gotta say I've been really impressed. Eddie lays out a shitton of really useful information that's applicable across all styles. I mean I picked up a good detail on the double under pass watching one of his vids this morning which is about as basic as it gets.

Probably not the greatest for beginners or the most discoverable format, but I'd say anyone that's an intermediate level grappler or above would get their money's worth.

nb: In addition to this site, I've paid or subscribed to every other jits related resource on the planet so let me know if you'd like my (possibly correct) opinion on a potential purpose.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Do you have to suffer any weed/tower 7/vaccine evangelism or even worse Eddies music to get the content?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Pocket Billiards posted:

Do you have to suffer any weed/tower 7/vaccine evangelism or even worse Eddies music to get the content?
Nah that was actually one of the things that initially put me off, I was scared the signal to noise would be way too low. But they've got some spreadsheets (I know how that sounds but its not that bad I swear haha) that make it easy to find and zero in on the exact stuff you want to watch.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Kekekela posted:

nb: In addition to this site, I've paid or subscribed to every other jits related resource on the planet so let me know if you'd like my (possibly correct) opinion on a potential purpose.

What would you say is the best membership site/resource for someone doing this less than 6 months?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

What would you say is the best membership site/resource for someone doing this less than 6 months?

If youve only been doing it a couple months and you go to a decent club you probably dont need to pay for instructional vids, its information overload and you dont have the base of knowledge yet to know what videos will work for your style/body type and what wont, and videos dont give the direct feedback of your coach or upper belts telling you if youre doing it wrong so you can build bad habits if you dive right into Youtube-jitsu as a new white belt

However no one actually listens to that advice so uhh bjjlibrary.com is pretty good

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kekekela posted:

I got a 10th planet subscription partly out of curiosity about rubber guard but really more cus it was only $5.

Gotta say I've been really impressed. Eddie lays out a shitton of really useful information that's applicable across all styles. I mean I picked up a good detail on the double under pass watching one of his vids this morning which is about as basic as it gets.

Probably not the greatest for beginners or the most discoverable format, but I'd say anyone that's an intermediate level grappler or above would get their money's worth.

fatherdog posted:

Eddie Bravo says a LOT of stupid poo poo, but none of it changes the fact that he's a very good black belt.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alfalfa posted:

Don't try to run before you can walk. Just keep going to class.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

Stephan Kesting (GrappleArts) has lots of good stuff for people starting out.

http://www.grapplearts.com/the-16-most-important-techniques-for-the-bjj-beginner/

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Don't try to run before you can walk. Just keep going to class.

That's what I figured, but only being able to go to class around 3x week, I'm looking for other ways to learn/reinforce the basics on the other days.

I'm not expecting to go learn anything crazy, just would like more information on the basics.

If that's still not advised then let me know and I'll just go workout and shrimp around the gym while people are on the treadmills.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa posted:

If that's still not advised then let me know and I'll just go workout and shrimp around the gym while people are on the treadmills.

FTFY

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
If money were no object I'd say Jason Scully's site would be great for a beginner. His fundamentals program is something I'd love to have stumbled onto as a white belt.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Watching Stephen Kesting stuff on youtube should be fine.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Downloading Stephan Kesting's free road map book from his website is great too. It won't replace showing up to class and paying attention to what's being taught but it does a good job of outlining simple and basic concepts.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
actually no - watch Ryan Hall's Open Elbow DVD set all the way through in one sitting

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

All of Firas Zahabi's stuff is pretty good IMO

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

As someone who subscribed to the website at one point. There are interviews and music segways, but you can easily skip through the videos, and the sections are time stamped on the side so you can skip directly to what you want.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

This sport. You get better but the sport never gets any easier. As you get better so do your training partners and opponents. Today in class I was one of the worst grapplers despite being a black belt.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Alfalfa posted:

To be quite honest I don't believe any seminars or instructionals are any use at all until you're at least a blue belt. But if you're wanting something as an additional thing to study outside of classes, probably Saulo's "Jiujitsu University" or Renzo's "Mastering Jiujitsu" would be the most useful to you.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think when you're a beginner the hardest thing isn't retaining moves or whatever, it's being able to put things in context, understanding why you're doing things and which positions are better than others. I explain it to beginners like this:

Obviously this diagram isn't exhaustive and depending on your personal preference it might even be incorrect, but I think at the start it's helpful to have a framework like this.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think when you're a beginner the hardest thing isn't retaining moves or whatever, it's being able to put things in context, understanding why you're doing things and which positions are better than others. I explain it to beginners like this:

Obviously this diagram isn't exhaustive and depending on your personal preference it might even be incorrect, but I think at the start it's helpful to have a framework like this.

Used to be a guy that trained with us that had an insanely good d'arce from bottom side control. Against him some of those positions moved between good and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
BJJ confession: I believe that I had a major leg-up when I first started years ago because I watched MMA. I knew what half guard, back control and side control were from watching fights.

It's really common but I'm always surprised if I meet a beginner that doesn't know what passing the guard means.