Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
"With a catapult."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought it was catapult but for reasons I won't go into overmuch I have a history of saying catapult and being corrected trebuchet and quite frankly I'm getting tired of it so I gambled and lost today.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

season 5 shoulda been mostly manderly's stuff. some of my coworkers are catching up and they've been voicing their annoyance at the awful people never ever getting their comeuppance (it's probably worse when you binge it so you go from oberyn getting crushed to jon getting stabbed to death in a day or so).

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

I thought it was catapult but for reasons I won't go into overmuch I have a history of saying catapult and being corrected trebuchet and quite frankly I'm getting tired of it so I gambled and lost today.

You should punch in the nose anyone who :smug: s you about the difference between a catapult and a trebuchet.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

season 5 shoulda been mostly manderly's stuff. some of my coworkers are catching up and they've been voicing their annoyance at the awful people never ever getting their comeuppance (it's probably worse when you binge it so you go from oberyn getting crushed to jon getting stabbed to death in a day or so).

I thought Jon getting stabbed _was_ his comeuppance that mouth breathing poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ygritte was a terrible actor but she got killed off. The same can't be said for Jon and Dany but we can hope.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Strong Belwas was a great character and not only they cut him but they didn't do anything to fill the void. He was basically an ex-gladiator version of Areo. Both of those characters seemed like guys who would've hosed up just about anyone other than maybe someone like Arthur Dayne or Barristan back in his prime.

Krinkle posted:

Who the gently caress is even going to contest the boltons now there's like literally no point to anything in the north anymore. What the gently caress is sansa going to do with rickon and a dumb baby in her belly without the goddamn manderlys? I can't wait to hate this dumb season.

There's already pictures (and the HBO trailer) showing who the Boltons are going to fight.

Jon Snow leading the wildlings, Karstarks, Mormonts, and a few other pro-Stark houses. You can see Kit Harrington on horseback in the bring glimpse of the fighting in the reason teaser/trailer.

I'd be 100% ok with no Ironborn kingsmoot poo poo because who the gently caress cares about the proto-vikings? Trying to introduce Victarion, the dragonbinder horn, and other plotlines is going to be this season's sand snakes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
From the trailer it looks like the kingsmoot is just gonna be Euron's coronation ceremony, maybe we'll get a scene of Yarasha pushing her claim but it doesn't look like it's gonna be a big deal.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Counterpoint: the kingsmoot sucked in the books, so maybe the show will make it cool, whereas they took the cool Dorne stuff and made it suck to an astonishing degree.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Counterpoint: the kingsmoot sucked in the books, so maybe the show will make it cool, whereas they took the cool Dorne stuff and made it suck to an astonishing degree.

No Darkstar. The entire series is a failure.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
"Cool Dorne stuff"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Transplant Darkstar to be a recurring character throughout Westeros as a whole and you would lost absolutely nothing by cutting all of Dorne in the books.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Solice Kirsk posted:

No Darkstar. The entire series is a failure.

Just give everyone anime hair from now on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

counterfeitsaint posted:

"Cool Dorne stuff"

Having Areo effortlessly kill a member of the Kingsguard was pretty cool. Which is why it wasn't in the show...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The kingsguard guy wanted to die. He was backed into a corner where dying was all he had left. I think also he had a buncha crossbow bolts in him and just wanted an end to it.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

cool Dorne stuff

what.

On the other hand, Hardhome was just a letter in the books and the show made it the best thing they've done during the entire series.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Dorne chapters were cool because there was decent writing going on and the characters were kinda intriguing and Sarella was neat and you were sure Doran Martell had some badass plan and this poo poo was going somewhere awesome but then Sephiroth cut off Myrcella's ear and you're like... "Oh. Ok."

It was ADWD that killed Dorne because for 6 years you're like "ok, the ear thing was weird, but let's see where this goes" and then it turns out Quentyn is a dumb penis and the whole story arc finds itself squatting in the grass.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sarella doesn't even appear in any of the Dorne chapters, but she is cool.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Asha is replacing victarion and instead of the dusky woman apparently we get a lesbo scene in Volantis.

Progress!

e: I hope they at least give her the rad fire arm and the fight with the guy from Oldtown.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Dorne chapters were cool because there was decent writing going on and the characters were kinda intriguing and Sarella was neat and you were sure Doran Martell had some badass plan and this poo poo was going somewhere awesome but then Sephiroth cut off Myrcella's ear and you're like... "Oh. Ok."

It was ADWD that killed Dorne because for 6 years you're like "ok, the ear thing was weird, but let's see where this goes" and then it turns out Quentyn is a dumb penis and the whole story arc finds itself squatting in the grass.
I kinda liked the actual dorne chapter in ADWD but Quentyn being a POV was bad. I guess it was cool to see the yunkai army and the history of the region was cool, but he himself was worthless and Tyrion covered most of that poo poo anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

have the show guys ever explained why they didn't do manderly and instead did nothing with season 5.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
did a book come out??

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

did a book come out??

Books are always coming out man. Just not these.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

yes.

TK-42-1 posted:

Asha is replacing victarion and instead of the dusky woman apparently we get a lesbo scene in Volantis.

Progress!

e: I hope they at least give her the rad fire arm and the fight with the guy from Oldtown.

I hope she uses her rad firearm for fingerbanging the priest

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fire and Blood was actually a cool loving line. And like you pointed out, it went loving nowhere. The disappointments just don't stop.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kcroy posted:

Fire and Blood was actually a cool loving line. And like you pointed out, it went loving nowhere. The disappointments just don't stop.
Only having half the locations go forward in the last two books was really bad for pacing. The dorne chapter in adwd was decent and made it seem like it would set up for cool things in the next book. Unfortunately...

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Only having half the locations go forward in the last two books was really bad for pacing. The dorne chapter in adwd was decent and made it seem like it would set up for cool things in the next book. Unfortunately...

I hope they put "Meanwhile back at the Wall..." on his loving tombstone.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Did GRRM ever give an explanation for why this one is taking so long? For AFOC, it was deciding not to do the time skip. For ADWD, it was the Meereenese Knot. What is it this time?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Son of kong.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Did GRRM ever give an explanation for why this one is taking so long? For AFOC, it was deciding not to do the time skip. For ADWD, it was the Meereenese Knot. What is it this time?

Waiting for all the female cast members to be of age so he can write the last two books with nothing but sex/rape scenes for them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Waiting for girls to be of age... You know I asked about GRRM, right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mike N Eich posted:

what.

On the other hand, Hardhome was just a letter in the books and the show made it the best thing they've done during the entire series.

Aside from how D&D created a strong and likable female character within a single episode purely by accident and had her die in the most stupid way possible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

HBO has made him more money for less work than he's ever thought possible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Evil Fluffy posted:

HBO has made him more money for less work than he's ever thought possible.

I'd argue he's slipped into a depression because HBO has made him functionally irrelevant to his own series. He's been fighting against the inevitable since the show started, but he finally hit the "acceptance" stage about a year and a half ago when the show bigfooted him and revealed the Night's King.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

He's waiting for GOT to air so he can gauge fan reaction and tailor the next books to the illiterates. It's a focus group!

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

ugh grrm is such a piece of poo poo release the book you fat gently caress

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In this, the 4,728th installment of "What the gently caress is Gurm Doing Instead of Writing?", nerds hanging xmas lights in a warehouse: http://www.vice.com/read/george-r-r-martin-spent-35-million-to-make-this-sci-fi-art-utopia-a-reality

"I've seen him periodically," McPherson told me, but "we're not the reason his book hasn't been published yet."

What a twist!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

IRQ posted:

In this, the 4,728th installment of "What the gently caress is Gurm Doing Instead of Writing?", nerds hanging xmas lights in a warehouse: http://www.vice.com/read/george-r-r-martin-spent-35-million-to-make-this-sci-fi-art-utopia-a-reality

"I've seen him periodically," McPherson told me, but "we're not the reason his book hasn't been published yet."

What a twist!

If you're not part of the solution then you are part of the problem McPherson!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

What a twist!

lol, Grrm's getting conned for millions by a buncha haunted house tour carnies, what a dipshit