Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
A video of the new scanner room in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UH9Z0uFfSY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Have the devs made any mention on the fact that you can only "sorta / kinda" kill stuff in this game? Like I know you can knife things to death but otherwise it's a stun rifle and a torpedo that apparently either stuns or blows things away from you (haven't tested it). Just curious since you've got the reapers and soon you'll have the sea dragon things which all kill the poo poo out of you, except in the cyclops I guess.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They've posted a few times on the Steam forums to say that they don't plan on adding any guns or anything like it to the game, but that the final game should have more ways of warding off predators.

GlyphGryph posted:

A video of the new scanner room in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UH9Z0uFfSY

Looks good, and hopefully the requirements for it aren't too steep.

I like the placeholder NS2 sound effect. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

lilspooky posted:

Have the devs made any mention on the fact that you can only "sorta / kinda" kill stuff in this game? Like I know you can knife things to death but otherwise it's a stun rifle and a torpedo that apparently either stuns or blows things away from you (haven't tested it). Just curious since you've got the reapers and soon you'll have the sea dragon things which all kill the poo poo out of you, except in the cyclops I guess.

The primary way to kill things right now is to harden your Seamoth and ram the crap out of them.

Personally, I really like the "stun and ram or stun and stab" combat. The vortex torpedo is also definitely capable of killing things - it crashes them into each other and does quite a bit of damage. Following it up by driving in yourself is just the cherry on top.

You've never driven repeatedly through a school of biters with your moth? I definitely recommend it.

The propulsion cannon is also useful for killing things.

But the game isn't really about killing things and I'm good with it being the way it is where it isn't easy to do and has to be more "personal".

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
i didn't expect this game to grab me but before you know it i've spent 15 hours in it just exploring and making my seabase :stare: game is good despite the myriad of bugs but i cannot for the loving life of me find any goddamn cyclops bridge fragments. i've got just about everything else scanned and unlocked (including the pressure compensator for the cyclops) but i have never even seen one of the bridge fragments. do they look any different than the hull/engine fragments? i checked the coral forest where the wiki says they can appear but nothing :smith:

also re: killing stuff, i appreciate the way things are now but i would also really like to be able to kill those big green gas fuckers because theres one that's always circling my seabase and is constantly making GBS threads out gas pods when im trying to make upgrades to it :mad:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antoine Silvere posted:

also re: killing stuff, i appreciate the way things are now but i would also really like to be able to kill those big green gas fuckers because theres one that's always circling my seabase and is constantly making GBS threads out gas pods when im trying to make upgrades to it :mad:

You should be able to just knife it a few times to drive it away, normally?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Use the water vortex maker to ward it off. You can use those things to make a semi barrier around stuff.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Antoine Silvere posted:

i cannot for the loving life of me find any goddamn cyclops bridge fragments.

I cant find a single one. Been looking for a couple hours, I wish that making power cells wasn't such a chore. COPPER!!!!!:argh:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Bridge fragments seem to be in the Mushroom Forest/Dunes on the western side of the map.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Antoine Silvere posted:

i cannot for the loving life of me find any goddamn cyclops bridge fragments. i've got just about everything else scanned and unlocked (including the pressure compensator for the cyclops) but i have never even seen one of the bridge fragments. do they look any different than the hull/engine fragments? i checked the coral forest where the wiki says they can appear but nothing :smith:

I'm pretty sure I found mine in the dunes, not the mushroom forest. Try looking there. Maybe they're more likely to spawn in that area. That or it was blind luck.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

You should be able to just knife it a few times to drive it away, normally?

i've tried that, he just ignores it and farts out more pods. i've even used the gravity gun propulsion cannon to grab one of his pods and shoot it back at him, which does drive him away, but he always comes back :(

7c Nickel posted:

Bridge fragments seem to be in the Mushroom Forest/Dunes on the western side of the map.

that brings me to another question: how am i supposed to figure out the cardinal directions? when you're looking at the aurora from the escape pod, which direction is that? north?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Antoine Silvere posted:

that brings me to another question: how am i supposed to figure out the cardinal directions? when you're looking at the aurora from the escape pod, which direction is that? north?

Make a compass. Although the Aurora is east/northeast of your escape pod before then.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

This is a pretty decent game for the flooded "incomplete survival/build" genre. I was worried it would be an absolute piece of buggy poo poo like so many similar games but it has a lot of charm and doesn't feel like a soulless procedural early access money grab

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It's so much more fun than The Long Dark

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Efexeye posted:

It's so much more fun than The Long Dark

I think they're both good games, but this is a very true statement. Like, in the time it takes you to loot an abandoned cabin, you can cruise across half the ocean and build a shiny new seabase wherever you end up. The Long Dark wants you to carefully reflect on the world and your actions, and Subnautica is all LETS GO SWIMMING AND BUILD PRETTY AQUARIUMS YAAAAAY

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The selling point for me is the big submarine. I hope they add more expansion modules to it soon.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I want more creatures capable to threatening the Cyclops. Like if this game doesn't end up being that scene where they take a sub through Naboo's core I will lose the ability to feel human.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Make a compass. Although the Aurora is east/northeast of your escape pod before then.

To be more specific, I don't think the option to craft a compass shows up unless you retrieve a piece of magnetite from the northern mountain biome. It's pretty easy to find since you can just surface and look for the mists obscuring the mountain island.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 23, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GenericOverusedName posted:

Wild fish and plants don't repopulate or respawn; you may have killed off the local stuff around your base.

I've had depopulation occur even without killing any fish for food (playing in Freedom mode), and even among apex predators. I sometimes see blood appear when Stalkers move through creepvine, so maybe they've been killing themselves.

The game also seems to do some strange things with how fragments show up in the world. I've swum around sections and not found any fragments, then when I get in the Seamoth and turn on the lights, fragments will suddenly appear in the middle of the water and start sinking to the ocean floor.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

I've had depopulation occur even without killing any fish for food (playing in Freedom mode), and even among apex predators. I sometimes see blood appear when Stalkers move through creepvine, so maybe they've been killing themselves.

The game also seems to do some strange things with how fragments show up in the world. I've swum around sections and not found any fragments, then when I get in the Seamoth and turn on the lights, fragments will suddenly appear in the middle of the water and start sinking to the ocean floor.

Small prey species tend to get eaten by the predators.

Predators AND prey can die to environmental hazards.

I remember cruising around in my Seamoth and finding like a dozen dead Scuttlebugs floating on the surface of the water. Directly below them was a geothermal vent connected to 2 or 3 cave systems. They had wandered out of the caves and gotten roasted one by one. Similarly I lost a couple of decorative Stalkers outside my observation windows when they chased their scrap metal toys into nests of Hanging Stingers.

About the only creatures guaranteed to survive are Gasopods. They tend to stick near the surface and have enough natural defenses to ward off anything. Actually they tend to be another source of dead fish since even Rabbit Rays will cause them to panic and bomb the surroundings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can anything kill a reefback?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Can anything kill a reefback?

I think the player can, they just kinda sadly crumble into bits like a cookie. If a floater happens to attach to one, they spin wildly out of control which is pretty funny.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

I want more creatures capable to threatening the Cyclops. Like if this game doesn't end up being that scene where they take a sub through Naboo's core I will lose the ability to feel human.

Two words: Sea Emperor

I don't really know what it is, but they are going to live underneath the lava zone and rumors say they will be very large

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 23, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
So I got on the experimental mode today and couldnt use my fabricator. It opens up and I go to mouse mode but the buttons don't show up.

Also when I start a new game I just walk on the sea floor instead of swimming.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 23, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

came within 1 second of drowning on a 14 hour hardcore save because i wanted to scan blueprints for a picture frame AND another kind of plant pot

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

GlyphGryph posted:

Two words: Sea Emperor

I don't really know what it is, but they are going to live underneath the lava zone and rumors say they will be very large

I want that and then I want the devs to say gently caress it and release a dlc that's basically one of those pictures of the progressively bigger fishes eating each other with the Sea Emperor as the little fish. And release a bunch of upgrades to the cyclops and make the map 30x bigger and procedurally generated :swoon:

E: like I'm envisioning you taking an artifact from one side of the map to the other, refueling your now elerium-powered cyclops at strategically placed seabed fuel stations, but Something Big is chasing you so you have to lure it past Something Bigger to actually be able to escape it.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 23, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Dyz posted:

So I got on the experimental mode today and couldnt use my fabricator. It opens up and I go to mouse mode but the buttons don't show up.

Also when I start a new game I just walk on the sea floor instead of swimming.

Welcome to experimental! It's why I'm still on stable. :v:

Efexeye posted:

came within 1 second of drowning on a 14 hour hardcore save because i wanted to scan blueprints for a picture frame AND another kind of plant pot

Nothing quite like completely blacking out only to hear that sharp intake of breath and slowly have your vision return.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm never going to find my 3rd Cyclops bridge piece. I'll never see like 60% of the map

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Efexeye posted:

I'm never going to find my 3rd Cyclops bridge piece. I'll never see like 60% of the map

Have you checked the Dunes past the Great reef and behind the Aurora?

For my own part I'm looking for Modification Station blueprints and thinking the same thing, so if you know where any might be...

Also, the cyclops is a mobile resource gathering base, not an exploration vessel, why would not having it limit you to 60% of the map?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Efexeye posted:

Are you scanning all the cyclops bits over by the border between the eastern Mushroom Forest and the Dunes? There don't seem to be specific models for each part, just all parts in a certain area are "Cyclops [x] Fragment"s.

Also it's annoying when you finally scan the 3rd bridge piece and it sticks at 99%.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Are you scanning all the cyclops bits over by the border between the eastern Mushroom Forest and the Dunes? There don't seem to be specific models for each part, just all parts in a certain area are "Cyclops [x] Fragment"s.

Also it's annoying when you finally scan the 3rd bridge piece and it sticks at 99%.

Pretty sure you just need to reload your save when that happens.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, the cyclops is a mobile resource gathering base, not an exploration vessel, why would not having it limit you to 60% of the map?

Well you can't go deeper than 225 in an unmodified Moth, so...place like the jellyfish cave are pretty much off limits. I have the whole upgrade console and no moon pool parts, as well :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The moonpool fragments being in one of the many places the seamoth can't go is really dumb. You have to stock up on as many large tanks as you think you'll need, maybe get the rebreather too. Head to the grand reef, park the seamoth at 224 meters and then search for moonpool fragments. It is important to look at your oxygen. If you see it is at halfway, head back to the seamoth no matter what. You can stop scanning a fragment and start where you left off after getting air.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
The way I did it was just get the cyclops and toss on 3 pressure upgrades and then just cruised around. I love the cyclops.

Hopefully they'll have enough success with this game that they'll release something in the coming years that's somewhat similar but with multiplayer and maybe some combat.

I just wish there were more submarine games....though not realistic sub games. :sigh:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay, found it. The rebreather was excellent advice, even if i did find myself swimming home after building a third air tank and diving deep in the dunes. I guess my moth had momentum when I hopped out at 224 meters because I turned to it after scanning my third bridge fragment just in time to see it violently explode.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

For my own part I'm looking for Modification Station blueprints and thinking the same thing, so if you know where any might be...

I found these in caves under koosh zone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Efexeye posted:

Well you can't go deeper than 225 in an unmodified Moth, so...place like the jellyfish cave are pretty much off limits. I have the whole upgrade console and no moon pool parts, as well :)

The cyclops has a more shallow dive depth than the moth though its only 200 max. And I got the moon pool before I built the cyclops anyway its not too hard just patrol the reef edges and bring a pressure compensator and two air tanks along with your seaglide and moth

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Truga posted:

I found these in caves under koosh zone.

Thanks didnt realize their were caves down there. Hopefully I wil have sone better equipment soon.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Thanks didnt realize their were caves down there. Hopefully I wil have sone better equipment soon.

Yeah I completely stumbled upon them while making GBS threads my pants running away from the electro things. Then I got lost in them and came out with 10% seamoth energy left because I spammed sonar so much to get an idea where I was. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

The cyclops has a more shallow dive depth than the moth though its only 200 max. And I got the moon pool before I built the cyclops anyway its not too hard just patrol the reef edges and bring a pressure compensator and two air tanks along with your seaglide and moth

Can't craft the seamoth pressure compensator until you build a moon pool.