Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Meowbot posted:

Sadly it isnt a troll, I just was thinking that with talking about NON VR games that you bvasically just get a closer experience than sitting in front of a computer or TV but maybe that isn't true .here

Well I talked with the doctor because I really was excited that maybe with the advent of VR and being "inside of the world" in the VR headset with the headset arond you that the eyes and brain might think you are in a world like most people would see. I think the problem I am having is that I learned to live with no depth perception and that when I see videos of what 3D is you have 2 images, would that just look like two images for one of my eyes or would I feel like I am in a world? Someone somewhere said that that "you would still get the experience of being inside of the space" but with 2 images, wouldn't it just not make any sense to my brain and be 2 images on a monitor in front of me?

I was hoping that maybe if I got a surgery for that eye with LASIK I would get to see 3D but I don't think lasik or anything can give me eyesight back in an eye that has never had eye sight. I have about 20% of blurry vision but it is nothing to write home about, I can't have any depth perception and ran into the house but it was a real tight driveway and one year I got stuck in the driveway and started to cry because i was coming down from an ecstasy I didnt sleep that night I was at a rave but leaving the house stuck couldnt make it had to have a friend get me out after I crawled out of the sun roof.
VR should work on you to an extent because you will see exactly the same things that you would see in real world but just in one eye (so exactly what you have now irl). It would be as if you were looking at a screen but in a form of a ball that you sit inside of which reacts to your head movements so it's still pretty cool. 3D in movies doesn't work on you because the whole gimmick depends on both eyes receiving input to create depth perception while in VR that's just a part of the idea.

If you live in a bigger city you could also google some gaming stores or malls that let people try out VR. Many companies jumped on the bandwagon at this point including Sony so it should be possible.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

VR should work on you to an extent because you will see exactly the same things that you would see in real world but just in one eye (so exactly what you have now irl). It would be as if you were looking at a screen but in a form of a ball that you sit inside of which reacts to your head movements so it's still pretty cool. 3D in movies doesn't work on you because the whole gimmick depends on both eyes receiving input to create depth perception while in VR that's just a part of the idea.

If you live in a bigger city you could also google some gaming stores or malls that let people try out VR. Many companies jumped on the bandwagon at this point including Sony so it should be possible.

tl;dr: modern vr headsets also cover your peripheral vision and do head tracking to give you "the feeling of being there" past stereo 3D, so pirates can use it too

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

The Dawn of War series were good, but holy gently caress why did the Eldar have to be so overpowered game after game after game?

Supposedly the some people at Relic were big fans of the Eldar on the tabletop game.

I know it's 4chan but here's a comprehensive look at what made them so OP.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Burning Rain posted:

How does it compare to the new Franchise Hockey Manager? I played and liked EHM '07 when it first came out, but the new EHM really looks like little more than a data update with some league issues fixed. FHM 2 has a more hands-off approach, which you might dislike if you're into tactics more than anything, but the rest of the stuff feels much more polished and engaging to me.

I don't know about FHM2 because FHM was a steaming pile of trash.

I don't care about the polish if the simulation is broken: FHM's simulation was broken.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kly posted:

this is wrong and I learned last time this came up that the reason this sentiment comes up so often is because Soulstorm had a lot problems on release that were later fixed.
if youre just playing single player campaign mode its just as good if not better than Dark Crusade. [...]

I found the single-player worse because the addition of two more armies and a more spread-out campaign map means you are spending way too much time defending your territories. Defending was already a bit of a joke in Dark Crusade, in Soulstorm it becomes a joke at YOUR expense.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kly posted:

this is wrong and I learned last time this came up that the reason this sentiment comes up so often is because Soulstorm had a lot problems on release that were later fixed.
if youre just playing single player campaign mode its just as good if not better than Dark Crusade. the new AIR units definitely are bad though. the apocalypse mod that gets mentioned also has the option to remove them all together.

I can't agree.

It's just poorly made, the new races are actually too similar to existing races but are somehow worse balanced? The campaign as a whole reeks of trying to one up Dark Crusade's scale and not succeeding.

The Ultimate Apocalypse mod is also a loving mess, I don't know why people keep recommending it.
The engine is not made for the scale that mod is going for and it ends up looking and playing like absolute poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

duckfarts posted:

tl;dr: modern vr headsets also cover your peripheral vision and do head tracking to give you "the feeling of being there" past stereo 3D, so pirates can use it too
I want a discount monocular version of the VR headsets not because I'm half blind but because I am half cheap.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I feel I should mention since I've done a lot of hating on Just Cause 3's performance that I booted it up last night after not having played since the first patch and it seemed to run marginally better. Although I was still getting occasional stuttering on medium settings.

So yeah, congratulations SE you managed to patch your game into a semi-functional state.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't know about FHM2 because FHM was a steaming pile of trash.

I don't care about the polish if the simulation is broken: FHM's simulation was broken.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I haven't played the first one, but according to all accounts FHM2 is hugely improved. I didn't notice anything particularly broken about the simulation, all the stats seemed believable. The trade AI does need some adjusting and the way European leagues are set up has some issues (at least KHL), but I haven't come across any big problems otherwise in 35 hours.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Palpek posted:

It's here

this artwork was actually ripped from australian magazine PC PowerPlay:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zetsubou-san posted:

this artwork was actually ripped from australian magazine PC PowerPlay:

Ha, nice find!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Way of the Samurai 3 just released, woo. I'm going to pick it up when I can afford to, as I personally enjoyed it far more than WoTS4. Do we know if the port is as good as 4's?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

iGestalt posted:

Way of the Samurai 3 just released, woo. I'm going to pick it up when I can afford to, as I personally enjoyed it far more than WoTS4. Do we know if the port is as good as 4's?

No word yet, but it's handled by the exact same team (Ghostlight) and they've been pretty good about making PC ports of Playstation games as well as supporting them with patches after release.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

FanaticalMilk posted:

No word yet, but it's handled by the exact same team (Ghostlight) and they've been pretty good about making PC ports of Playstation games as well as supporting them with patches after release.

Yeah - I'm very hopeful. One of the people working on it tweeted at me when I tweeted about it, which was cool. They seem like a good port group.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is wots 3 as grindy as 4? I like the Meiji era setting a little better, but having to sit and polish a blade like 1000 times to make the best swords was just asinine.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Lords of the Fallen is 3.99 over at indiegala, any input on how the game is?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

B-Mac posted:

If you are a dark souls nerd, you won't like it.

Otherwise, it's an ok action/slash game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

B-Mac posted:

It's a decent Souls like but the combat feels like garbage and there's really only one viable way to play despite there being different classes. It's not the worst thing in the world but it's not great.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Palpek posted:

Ha, nice find!

i have that issue, so the artwork looked familiar. :)

even more so because it is from the few issues where they got a guy to do custom work in that style for the covers.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

B-Mac posted:

Meh. You could give it a try for 4 bucks if you're desperate for a DS-like game, but I thought it was utterly bland. Pretty, but unremarkable. I wouldn't recommend it, especially with Dark Souls 3 around the corner.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is wots 3 as grindy as 4? I like the Meiji era setting a little better, but having to sit and polish a blade like 1000 times to make the best swords was just asinine.

They use an entirely different sword system, if I recall. You generate 'heat' went you attack and if the heat fills all the bars up, the sword 'breaks' a bar. Break all of them and the sword snaps. Far more control over it than in 4.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

B-Mac posted:

if you like dark souls you will hate it
if you hate dark souls you will hate it
if you're neutral on dark souls you will not like it

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

WOTS3 still takes grinding to afford making good weapons. You either do faction jobs forever or rob and murder merchants then reset over and over. That part sucks but otherwise it's better than 4 in pretty much every way.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ShadowMar posted:

if you like dark souls you will hate it
if you hate dark souls you will hate it
if you're neutral on dark souls you will not like it

Haha guess I'll save my 4 bucks then, thanks everyone.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
As someone who couldn't stick with much of Dark souls 1 or 2, I like it, but the bosses are frustrating. I did get 6 bucks worth though

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Lords is fine.

It plays a lot like Dark Souls, but after you kill the first or second boss, it basically becomes an entirely easier game. Eventually you just have so much statswise it becomes hard for the game to actually challenge you any further, and you start just walking through content.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Play Dragon's Dogma instead :v:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

B-Mac posted:

Beat it via ps4/rental - around 30 hours. I eventually bought it from them for around 10 and dont regret it. Its not the greatest game ever, sure. But it is a really good attempt to make a souls style game. It is a bit more linear and a bit easier (although the last boss was a pain). But its well done and they are making a second one.

ShadowMar posted:

i love this thread, this is the only place i've ever seen someone seriously believe "lords of the fallen is good actually"

I didnt say it was AMAZING, but i hardly hated it. Isnt it amazing how someone can have a different opinion than you? Crazy, right?

strategery fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 24, 2016

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

B-Mac posted:

It's worth £4. Buy it and ignore anyone who says it's a hateworthy game, it's a solid 6.5/10.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i love this thread, this is the only place i've ever seen someone seriously believe "lords of the fallen is good actually"

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

That sure is a Rookersh post, alright.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LotF is incredibly slow and has sloppy combat which kills that type of game dead for me. Melee in that game felt like you were trying to stab a plastic bag filled with water.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

ShadowMar posted:

hah hah :smuggo: look at these people that think :viggo: a game i don't like is actually TOLERABLE :wotwot: i say...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Personally I have a real hard time justifying getting any "alright" games these days when there's already 50+ "great" games I still need to play. It's more about the time investment than the money investment at this point.

I know nothing about that particular game though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
March of

Day 1: 80 Days
Day 2: The Journey Down: Chapters 1 and 2
Day 3: Contradiction: Spot the Liar!
Day 4: Gray Matter
Day 5: Fran Bow
Day 6: Syberia
Day 7: The Dream Machine: Chapters 1-5
Day 8: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Day 9: Gone Home
Day 10: Shardlight
Day 11: Bad Mojo Redux
Day 12: Her Story
Day 13: Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Day 14: Oxenfree
Day 15: Waking Mars
Day 16: The Magic Circle
Day 17: Dropsy
Day 18: Three Fourths Home
Day 19: Firewatch
Day 20: Swery Day- Deadly Premonition and D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die: Season 1
Day 21: Kentucky Route Zero Acts 1-3
Day 22: Technobabylon

Day 23: The Walking Dead: Season 1

Telltale Games was originally founded by a bunch of Lucas Arts refugees in 2004. They started off pretty under the radar, first making two rather mediocre adventure games based off the comic book Bone. Once they got Steve Purcell on board and made new Sam and Max games was when they started making a name for themselves. Most of their pre-TWD games such as Sam and Max were more traditional point and clicks. Some of the most notable of their early games are Sam and Max: The Devil’s Playhouse, the third and currently final Sam and Max season (Which I think is the best Sam and Max game), Back to the Future (Gameplaywise its nothing special, but it captures the spirit of the movies really well), and Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People (A must play for any Homestar Runner fan). TWD was what really put them on the map though and was the game that helped bring back adventure games back to the mainstream after a decade of obscurity when it first released in 2012.

The Walking Dead differed from the traditional point and click formula mainly through adopting Alpha Protocol’s dialogue system, one where you had limited time to respond and your dialogue choices would affect your relationships with the characters. Another facet of that was player choice and while the game’s plot isn’t very reactive, the personality of the protagonist, Lee, and his relationships with the other characters can vary very much between different peoples’ playthroughs. The game does still have point and click elements, but puzzles are not the focus.

TWD Season 1 takes place in the Walking Dead world but it acts as its entirely own separate story away from the original comic and the TV show adaptation. Two characters from the comic/show, Hershel Greene and Glenn Rhee, both make appearances as supporting characters, but only in the first episode. The game focuses on the player character, Lee Everett, an African-American college professor of history and Georgia native from Macon. We find him in the back of a cop car as we learn that he’s on trial for a murder and is enroute to jail outside Atlanta. Suddenly the dead begin to rise and they cause a car crash that enables Lee to escape. As Lee avoids the undead and tries searching for survivors he encounters Clementine, a young girl who fled into her treehouse after her babysitter turned. Clem’s parents were visiting Savannah at the time, so without anyone to take care of her Lee adopts the role of being her guardian, promising that he will help find her parents. The two eventually ally themselves with a group of survivors namely Kenny, a Florida fisherman, his wife Katja, a veterinarian, and their son Kenny Jr. Lee, Clem, and the group have to fight to survive from the zombies, other people, and even from internal conflict in the group. Their journey will take them across Georgia as they to try and find sanctuary from the undead.

Zombies have gotten really tired, especially in video games, but TWD does the right thing but not making them the main focus. Instead the characters are the main focus and for the most part TWD Season 1 is really good at creating non-contrived conflicts between them. It also helps that most of the characters are fleshed out and interesting. The voice acting also can't be ignored, the VAs all do a great job. And one of the neat things about the game is that people can have wildly different opinions of the characters depending on how they played. The showcase of these relationships is with Clem, which is where the game shines the most. Telltale did a fantastic job writing Clem to the point where a lot of people genuinely cared about what she thought of them. And that’s also what makes TWD so great, it’s a very empathetic game, the source material and even the second season of the game just devolves into mindless nihilism where everyone acts like total morons and people die senseless deaths that just become utterly rote instead of affecting. TWD Season 1 manages to make sure their characters have some depth so when they do die you actually feel something and while it’s still a bleak as hell game there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that despite the dead rising and friends and neighbors turning against each other that the good of humanity will still endure. Walking Dead is an emotionally powerful game that resonated with a lot of people and its why it’s one of my all-time favorite games.

Unfortunately I feel Telltale’s been on a downward spiral of quality ever since Walking Dead Season 1. Wolf Among Us was good, but had a weak last half. TWD Season 2 had some fantastic moments but was mostly just meh and utterly inferior to the first season in every way. I hear Borderlands is real good, but I’m hesitant in supporting Gearbox to buy it. Game of Thrones was awful though and has pretty much made me not give a poo poo about Telltale anymore. It’s a shame, because TWD Season 1 will always remain one of my favorites, but there’s more than enough cool adventure games coming out to be too hung up about it.

Play Walking Dead Season 1, you won’t soon forget it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 24, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

I hear Borderlands is real good, but I'm hesitant in supporting Gearbox.

I've never actually played a proper Borderlands game before, but Tales is an excellent game, in many ways the polar opposite of Game of Thrones. I haven't heard much about the Minecraft game, and nobody seems to be talking about Walking Dead: Michonne, maybe because it's more tied into the TV show. They should have made a Kenny game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Tales from the Borderlands is incredibly fun. It plays out like a sci-fi/comedy Cohen Brothers film, where everybody is a scumbag and everything goes wrong. Patrick Warburton is there. It's a good time.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

More Grim Dawn chat: If you generally think ARPGs are too easy, this one might be for you. There are some optional bosses that will gently caress your eyes out even early on in the game unless you know exactly what you are doing with your gear and build.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Burning Rain posted:

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I haven't played the first one, but according to all accounts FHM2 is hugely improved. I didn't notice anything particularly broken about the simulation, all the stats seemed believable. The trade AI does need some adjusting and the way European leagues are set up has some issues (at least KHL), but I haven't come across any big problems otherwise in 35 hours.
FHM2 is basically built on the Out of the Park Engine so if you've played any of the OOTP games, you'll find it pretty similar. It gets the job done for an NHL sim when EHM is nearly a decade old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

iGestalt posted:

The beta cycle was super short, short enough that I didn't do as much testing as I'd have liked, but overall it was fairly playable even on the initial beta build and as far as I can tell most of it was ironing out problems and fairly minor bugs, nothing anywhere close to as major as the WotS4 beta where the whole game world would randomly lose textures for no discernible reason or you got locked into cutscene animations if you were hit with a throw move within a month or two of release.

Anonymous Robot posted:

There's a degree of grind to get everything, which you'll find in every WotS game because they want you to play through multiple times, but the sword grind isn't as bad as WotS4. Instead of having to unlock unbreakable or whatever, every sword has its own moveset for you to unlock :v:

It goes a little faster leveling them up after you've got a given move unlocked on another sword but still. Also collecting all the NPCs can be a chore, since some of the NPC models that you can use as your character's model are hidden by specific events or whatever. Basically if you beat someone down non-lethally in WotS3, you unlock their model for wearing. It was sort of an extension and integration of a cheat code that 1 and 2 had that just let you just pick a model from the game and play as that NPC.

• Locked thread