Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Do you drunk it straight from still at 88 %¿

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

donkey salami posted:

Do you drunk it straight from still at 88 %¿

I put my finger under to check that the temo is right and then lick my finger to see if anything is funny with the flavour. I dontbhave shot of it or anything.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Hot Jam posted:

hi isaac. I just read your whole thread and I want to tell you its a real good thread.

indeed

Isaac posted:

Flies like thermometres
who doesn't? amazing things

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I want to brew Vodka and Corona

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Nonviolent J posted:

I want to brew Vodka and Corona

Wanting to brew Corona is like wanting to brew Fosters. A shameful admission.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Wanting to brew Corona is like wanting to brew Fosters. A shameful admission.

Yeah i didnt even know what to say after readjng it

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hundreds of hours of experimentation and ive done it. Ive replicated Tooheys New

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

Hundreds of hours of experimentation and ive done it. Ive replicated Tooheys New

Don't tell Tooheys.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Once when i started at the supermarket the boss bought a sixpack and we shared it in the carpark. He gave me money to get another sixpack and j brought back tooheys new and he basically got in his car and drove home.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Isaac posted:

Necros please keep me updated i wanna know

ive been living in a haze since st patricks day. ill go take some pics of the still or something at least later today.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Necros posted:

ive been living in a haze since st patricks day. ill go take some pics of the still or something at least later today.

Let me call up your friend and give him a peice of my mind. It shouldnt take this long.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Isaac posted:

Let me call up your friend and give him a peice of my mind. It shouldnt take this long.

i havent bought the stuff for the mash yet or anything. in my weakness i spent my money on already fermented alcohols.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Necros posted:

i havent bought the stuff for the mash yet or anything. in my weakness i spent my money on already fermented alcohols.

If its the first run just do a TPW wash. It cant be hosed up (youll gently caress up heaps). Then you can make serious booze when you got a handle on things.

TPW will ferment in a week and cost $10

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Isaac posted:

If its the first run just do a TPW wash. It cant be hosed up (youll gently caress up heaps). Then you can make serious booze when you got a handle on things.

TPW will ferment in a week and cost $10

ive never tried with tomato paste but im gonna try and give it a shot just because its so cheap. i have a feeling hes gonna wanna do it his way tho. ;/ the other person that lives w/ us has been having us do weird poo poo like cream soda which i guess she found online in some flavored moonshine recipe. its just a waste of money because none of the flavor comes through with the still we use.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

ok im back isaac. im remodeling part of my house and also playing a lot of this war of mine so im sorry for the delay 'mate'. i took a picture of the still while i was in the shed getting some screws. the still and the shed really need to be cleaned.

after talking it out with my friends we're either gonna use just sugar like i want or soda and sugar. i couldnt talk them into the tomato paste so if were gonna use soda im gonna make sure its mountain dew and goon it up. we need 9000g of sugar with the yeast we use so i'm gonna make a trip to bjs sometime soon. after it ferments for 10 days well check the alc% and see what we have.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

haha i just noticed we have the exact same still. he got it from new zealand so i guess it makes sense. he put some valves and poo poo in ours to let you adjust the water/temperature to the condenser and reflux condenser independently.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
9kg of sugar ita gonna be a strong brew.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

yeah we try to get that poo poo as close to 180 proof as possible without spending too much. usually get about a gallon and we might take a couple pints of it and mix it with appples or peaches or whatever and a cinnamon stick and just drink the rest straight. we had his dude we were letting sleep on the couch and he would loving drink our shine in the middle of the night. NEVER AGAIN.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Youre gonna be using turboyeast or champagne yeast which will get 9kg of sugar up to about 14%. If you run it all through the still you should end up with 6 or 7 litres @ 40% once (if) you water it down. I dont know why youd put soda in it but ots your shine.

Edit itll actually yield around 10L of 40%

Isaac fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 23, 2016

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Given optimal conditions, whats the highest alcohol content a still can provide?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Roki B posted:

Given optimal conditions, whats the highest alcohol content a still can provide?

First cut on a pot still you can get up round 92%. Throughout the distilliation the abv drops down to 10% eventually.

Over the whole process using turboyeast wash you can get round 9 litres of 40% using a 25L still

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Say beer yeast will die once ita got up round 8% i think turboyeast and champagne yeast maybe can get to 20%. There are other yeasts around that can go higher but ive never used them

Ill add a disclaimer that ive never researched any of this these are just rough numbers from my own trial and error

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
How much >80% would one batch yield

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Roki B posted:

How much >80% would one batch yield

25L run. Off the top of my head maybe 2 litres.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Where are the dick pics?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

donkey salami posted:

Where are the dick pics?

SD card

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Isaac posted:

The first 50ml you supposed to throw out or use for fuel. I might cut 100ml to be extra safe. That first bit has all the chemicals that make you go blind and they come off firt because they are more volatile than ethanol.

In hospital drank moonshine gonig blin d plz send help calhfbn hchcnhhcbdc bvgj. Hvfbc g hvfbc gvfh h v h hgfhh

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

In hospital drank moonshine gonig blin d plz send help calhfbn hchcnhhcbdc bvgj. Hvfbc g hvfbc gvfh h v h hgfhh

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yiur family

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i would think tomato moonshine would be amazing for bloody marys

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

Isaac posted:

My thoughts and prayers are with alcohol

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

nomadologique posted:

i would think tomato moonshine would be amazing for bloody marys

The nettle one would suit a bloody mary very well. The tomato one maybe but its not a great flavour.

Im not a bloody mary drinker though.

Once i ordered one and the girl at the bar had to get out the cocktail book. Took her like 15mins to make and she said "you better bloody drink this" i had one sip and was disgusted. Luckily a friend of mine happened to be walking past the bar and i gave it to him and he drank it and then continued on his day.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
only time i drink bloody mary is for free

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

maybe australia is just not good at bloody mary bc they basically primo drink in america (we are obsessed w brunch)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

nomadologique posted:

maybe australia is just not good at bloody mary bc they basically primo drink in america (we are obsessed w brunch)

We dont really do cocktails in aus. At least at the kind of bar i would drink at.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

nomadologique posted:

imo screwdrivers are superior but i also drink four loko so :shrug:

naem
May 29, 2011

Bloody Mary's are for when you get post coital brunch at 11 am on a Sunday with the girl you've been dating for 3 weeks and you're both still hung over and bloody marys are the only thing they serve until 3 and you know you're just going to go home together giggling full of eggs and bread

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

naem posted:

Bloody Mary's are for when you get post coital brunch at 11 am on a Sunday with the girl you've been dating for 3 weeks and you're both still hung over and bloody marys are the only thing they serve until 3 and you know you're just going to go home together giggling full of eggs and bread

This reminds me of being back in the city so much.

I got that problem where if alcohol touches my lips i start drinking it in large quantities and i cant stop so if i do drink during brunch things kinda go downhill from there.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Whenever I visit my inlaws in Vietnam, I always drink a ton of their homebrew'd Vietnamese moonshine. No idea how it's made or what it's made of, but it is some good stuff that will mess you up. When I ask for details, they just tell me that some dude in the village makes it and everyone just buys it off him for very cheap. No one's gone blind off of it, so I was never too worried. Sometimes it has bees or snakes or random herbs and roots which vary the flavor and 'health benefits'. It's not exactly something I can take back with me though.

All the details and such of making it that you're sharing are really interesting. Thanks for the updates!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

we have these craft beer bars in a brunch arm's race for the best and edgiest bloody mary. "we put pickled pigs feet in ours." "homeless urine gives it that added oomph."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Isaac posted:

I got that problem where if alcohol touches my lips i start drinking it in large quantities and i cant stop so if i do drink during brunch things kinda go downhill from there.

i also got this problem and rarely drink before 5pm bc of it

• Locked thread