Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Paladinus posted:

I think it's a colour blindness test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

I don't get it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Narrator posted:

I don't get it.

Looks like you're not gonna be a fighter pilot then.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Somfin posted:

Looks like you're not gonna be the head of a major corporation, then.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

At least there's only 3 so it can't be Loss.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The fourth panel is a magic eye.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Christie and Carson merged to form Trump? :confused:

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

HardDisk posted:

Christie and Carson merged to form Trump? :confused:

Pretty sure it's saying they endorse Trump. Or something.

Edit: is it also saying Trump isn't even a Republican?

The Earl of ToeJam has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Mar 23, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Want so see some real incompetent poo poo? The family tree of the Counts of Tusculum:

The Wikipedia editor in charge of this nonsense forgot to include Pope Benedict VII, nephew of Alberic II. Great work :rolleyes:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think two Popes were allowed to marry each other.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Any family tree with a square in it is bad news.

But what the gently caress is up with Teophylact II? He just kinda had a kid by himself? There's not even a question mark there, like good 'ol Teophylact II gave birth solo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Any family tree with a square in it is bad news.

But what the gently caress is up with Teophylact II? He just kinda had a kid by himself? There's not even a question mark there, like good 'ol Teophylact II gave birth solo.

He's not even supposed to be there. Theophylact II is Benedict VIII. For some reason he's been added twice, including as his own grandfather.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

That is nothing. Guy of Tuscany had two gay remarriages and gave birth by himself but of course it was Marozia who got the bad reputation.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is that image really grey text on a black background? That's how I see it in Awful.apk (granted, with the OLED theme), on imgur.com, with Google Photos, and with Solid Explorer's image viewer.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Is that image really grey text on a black background? That's how I see it in Awful.apk (granted, with the OLED theme), on imgur.com, with Google Photos, and with Solid Explorer's image viewer.

The background is transparent.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I thought that might be the case bit was surprised that everything on my phone displayed the image with a black background. Ah well.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Somfin posted:

Looks like you're not gonna be a fighter pilot then.

:vince:

drat that was a good film.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Want so see some real incompetent poo poo? The family tree of the Counts of Tusculum:

I presume this is supposed to make sense? Even besides my own idiocy thinking that Ptolemy referred to the ancient guy.

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!
http://assets.bwbx.io/images/iMh0dm6AMs3g/v1/-1x-1.jpg

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Douche
  |
  |
  |
  |
 V

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Excuse me? :mad: That's not a very nice thing to call me. :colbert:

E: last time I made a joke without a :v: poo poo indirectly hit the fan so this is a disclaimer

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Actually, except for the unlabeled category at the very bottom, this seems like a very elegant way to present that information.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jaramin posted:

Actually, except for the unlabeled category at the very bottom, this seems like a very elegant way to present that information.

What information? I literally can't tell what this chart is supposed to convey.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Tiggum posted:

What information? I literally can't tell what this chart is supposed to convey.

Changes in relative and absolute proportions of birth control use over the years, as well as their rough success rate. It's really the absolute percentages along the axis that becomes confusing to me, along with area being what's important instead of height as most line charts have.

It's a noble effort, but they should really break it up into multiple charts.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Why does male sterilisation go from 10% to 10% and end up lower on the right hand side?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why does male sterilisation go from 10% to 10% and end up lower on the right hand side?

Because it's not 10% on the right hand side, it's 8%.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Pakled posted:

Because it's not 10% on the right hand side, it's 8%.

Then IUD, which goes from 10% to 10%, and is lower.

Basically the usage of the ones below IUD got lower. On a good chart that shouldn't happen.

And they introduce more methods in random ways making the heights even harder to judge. It's not a good chart.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

foobardog posted:

Then IUD, which goes from 10% to 10%, and is lower.

Basically the usage of the ones below IUD got lower. On a good chart that shouldn't happen.

I think the percents show how tall the IUD block is, not where in the chart the IUD block is positioned. The IUD block has the same vertical width at each end of the graph, but at the start it's below 24% worth of stuff and at the end it's below 33% worth of stuff, so the whole IUD segment has been shifted downward.

Of course, the chart doesn't bother to mention what it's ten percent of, and by putting the percents at the top of each block it looks like they're labeling the lines between blocks rather than the individual blocks, hence the confusion over why 10% moves down. Also, the IUD 10% moving down represents absolutely nothing about IUDs themselves or their use. It's not a very good chart.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think the percents show how tall the IUD block is, not where in the chart the IUD block is positioned. The IUD block has the same vertical width at each end of the graph, but at the start it's below 24% worth of stuff and at the end it's below 33% worth of stuff, so the whole IUD segment has been shifted downward.

Of course, the chart doesn't bother to mention what it's ten percent of, and by putting the percents at the top of each block it looks like they're labeling the lines between blocks rather than the individual blocks, hence the confusion over why 10% moves down. Also, the IUD 10% moving down represents absolutely nothing about IUDs themselves or their use. It's not a very good chart.

The percentages represent share among all birth control methods combined.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TotalLossBrain posted:

The percentages represent share among all birth control methods combined.

Share of what, though? Of total uses? Of total users? Of total failures? Of total successes? Of marketing budget?

This is why we label our axes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Share of what, though? Of total uses? Of total users? Of total failures? Of total successes? Of marketing budget?

This is why we label our axes.

Presumably they mean percentage of use reported by individuals in a survey/series of surveys. That would make the most sense, but who knows?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It says right there at the bottom folks. The source is the CDC, and it's an estimate of the % of women using X birth control.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Stacked area charts have some problems, sure. But that example (minus the one missing label) is neither worse nor much better than any of the other stacked area charts I've seen, and the data seem interesting.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
an estimate of the number of women sterilising their sexual partners before sex

You
Oct 6, 2009

King Hong Kong posted:

That is nothing. Guy of Tuscany had two gay remarriages and gave birth by himself but of course it was Marozia who got the bad reputation.

And yet, history doesn't acknowledge him. He will just be a guy from Tuscany for eternity. Makes you think.

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's going to be a cold day in hell when people finally start labeling their axis.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

relative volume and frequency of syllables uttered by people who are coughing?

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.
It's bacteria colonising coffee machines from this article.

Figure 3: Correlations among the bacterial genera detected in this work.

quote:

Distances correspond to the linear statistical correlation. Sizes of the spheres are proportional to the relative abundances in logarithmic scale. Highly correlated genera are shown in the same colour.

Abbreviations are different genera of bacteria. I have no idea what's going on with the axes or where the spheres actually are in the 3D projection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ajon posted:

It's bacteria colonising coffee machines from this article.

Figure 3: Correlations among the bacterial genera detected in this work.

Abbreviations are different genera of bacteria. I have no idea what's going on with the axes or where the spheres actually are in the 3D projection.

A 3d graph where both position and sphere sizes are significant - worst idea, or worstest idea?