Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Raluek posted:

Are they? I've heard a lot of things about the early motors, but I thought those OHC ones were supposed to be pretty decent.

I know the 3.0 is, guess I haven't been in the 4.0. The mileage was pretty meh and it had no guts, IMO.

Tow ratings for the 4.0 are higher than I expected honestly (on the specific packages listed there). But if he's towing a lightweight boat I'm sure it's fine. Larger truck is more capable and probably gets comparable mileage but it's also, well, larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
4.0 SOHC is ~210hp / 250 ft lbs. Same v6 as the 2nd gen Exploders.

I had a 99 4.0 Explorer and had no issues towing flat bed car trailers, ATVs, a boat, etc.

The only issue I have with the 4.0 SOHC is the god awful timing chain setup. Higher mileage examples tend to have the chain tensioners start to get loose and they're on the back of the engine and a pain in the dick to replace.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
As a family member of someone who has an absolutely gutless 3.0 V6 Ranger and had a 4.0 SOHC V6 Explorer, a 4.0 SOHC Ranger will tow some small stuff like you want but for all that is good in this world please get the timing chains dealt with BEFORE they blow up, not after. My dad got as far as pulling the engine out of the Explorer to do the timing chains (no shop wanted anything to do with doing them... all his usual shops gave him the "please, please take this SOMEWHERE ELSE" high quotes, or straight up refused to quote) and scrapped it after realizing he was in way over his head.

It's a terrible bass ackwards design that Ford came up with so that they could use the same head casting on both sides to save money, to the detriment of literally everything else - packaging, complexity, part count, serviceability, you name it. Sure was an alright engine for towing their camping trailer up till then though. I drove it a few times and it didn't feel gutless or anything.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My 99 explorer has 157k miles and from what I can tell no chain rattle, or if there is one I cant tell if I have it. When that thing goes I'm just gonna junk it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Anyone want a Ford fiesta/ST K&N air filer? new in box, just pay shipping.

Also have 4 205/40/17 blizzak snow tires, fits stock fiesta ST rims. good shape plenty of life left, $100 for the set. Can deliver anywhere in the metro NYC/CT area. or you can pick them up in New Rochelle.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
We've got a 2011 Toyota Camry up for sale on CL. Wondering if any Reno, NV. area goons might want it. 35k miles and honestly almost like new.

$11,500

SOLD

12_String fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 23, 2016

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Serious question, but is a 5 year old 4 cyl Camry with steelies actually worth 13,000 bucks? is the resale value that good?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Voltage posted:

Serious question, but is a 5 year old 4 cyl Camry with steelies actually worth 13,000 bucks? is the resale value that good?

Probably, used car prices are insane. poo poo a new altima is 45k if leased properly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Probably, used car prices are insane. poo poo a new altima is 45k if leased properly.

I hope someone has that saved.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Selling some OEM VW 18" wheels

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772786

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a Diablo Sport InTune i1000 for sale

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772832

edit: sold it

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 20, 2016

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

Voltage posted:

Well, apparently nobody thinks it's worth that much other than KBB, so we dropped the price to $11,500 OBO.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Voltage posted:

People don't think their cars lose value anymore, had a 2008 ford focus se going for 12k around these parts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every private party used car ad in America thinks that 150,000 qualifies as low miles.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Selling our 98 Civic EX, Long Island

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Giving away my family's dead 1984 Saab 900 Turbo to a good home.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh man, wish I was closer :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Also giving away my dad's broken 1994 Volvo 960 sedan to a good home by Saturday, or it's getting donated.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Selling my AW11 cause I need a wee little truck

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/5554956417.html

$2000 goon price. Or, alternatively, tell me to shove it if this is a dumb price. All of the other ads I found around here are absurdly high (like $4-7000 depending on condition :eyepop:)

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 30, 2016

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

EDIT: SOLD

Selling my Protegé to get another Honda (I miss having an Si in the stable).
Lots of work done recently, but suffers from rear wheel well rust spots and general ugliness.
Will sell for $2000 with all three sets of wheels to a goon.

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/5523416748.html

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 25, 2016

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Selling this manifold gauge set, this can tap, this oil injector, and two 8 oz. cans of DuPont Suva 134a together in Seattle for $75. Will also ship for $75 plus actual shipping cost, but would prefer local pickup. Service your A/C! The gauges were used once, the rest wasn't used.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I've got three basically new belts (p/n 11AV1195) (High Capacity V-Belt (Standard); 13/32" x 47-5/8") that were to an old vehicle of mine (1979 mercury zephyr with the thriftmaster six 3.3L) and an unopened bottle of Lucas Stop Leak that are just taking up space in my apartment. If you want them, please let me know. I live in Portland, if local pickup is a thing.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
If anyone wants to buy my crappy truck let me know. It's a 92 f150 in Hillsborough nc. It's got tons of issues but it runs and drives, you won't find one for cheaper. I'll give a goon discount.

Edit: sold

deratomicdog fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 8, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've got stock axleback mufflers for a Z4M, free to a good home.

Location is a little north of Houston, TX. Willing to travel and meet somewhere in the Houston Metro area/suburbs, if you're legit interested shoot me a PM and we can discuss. I'll also be in Austin at the end of October for F1 and can bring them there.

No pictures because $free, but they're in good used condition. They were on the car for about 65000 miles.

e: gone

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 21, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
1979 Suzuki GS550 in Saratoga Springs, NY

Have it posted for $500, but if a goon shows up with some cash, i'm very flexible.

Kick and electric start, points ignition, very old school. No seat, and like most old bikes, will need new carb boots. I do have paperwork for it, unlike half the poo poo on facebook/cl.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Selling my E39 530i.

--Sold--Sold--Sold--

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 25, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Edit: gone

So I have a 1980 Datsun 720 pickup, 5 speed manual, RWD sitting here. I bought it from my brother intending to trade it to another friend for my next project, but he is looking for a rust free datsun 720. I remembered this one being rust free but some rust I didn't realize was growing has come through now, last time I saw it was in 2014 sometime... gently caress. Needs the door lower edges, one spot I saw on a floorboard, and some other minor areas (around the rear taillights)

Assuming my friend doesn't want it in this condition (it's still pretty drat solid for our area, but not the nearly pristine rust free truck I told him about) I'm willing to sell it to any AI goon who will restore it and/or treat it nicely for $1000 asking price. If you are going to beat it up or demo derby it, I'm not selling.

Located in central Mass. I won't have the paperwork till my brother comes by in a week or two, but it will come with a clean AZ title, previous registration, and bill of sale.

Will add pictures soon.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 19, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

So I have a 1980 Datsun 720 pickup, 5 speed manual, RWD sitting here. I bought it from my sister intending to trade it to another friend for my next project, but he is looking for a rust free datsun 720. I remembered this one being rust free but some rust I didn't realize was growing has come through now, last time I saw it was in 2014 sometime... gently caress. Needs the door lower edges, one spot I saw on a floorboard, and some other minor areas (around the rear taillights)

Assuming my friend doesn't want it in this condition (it's still pretty drat solid for our area, but not the nearly pristine rust free truck I told him about) I'm willing to sell it to any AI goon who will restore it and/or treat it nicely for $1000 asking price. If you are going to beat it up or demo derby it, I'm not selling.

Located in central Mass. I won't have the paperwork till my sister comes by in a week or two, but it will come with a clean AZ title, previous registration, and bill of sale.

Will add pictures soon.

Sent you a snapchat but I'm interested in this depending on how bad the rust is and if it's otherwise good. My brother needs a cheap, reliable truck pretty badly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

poo poo I barely ever check my snapchat these days. It's kinda a haul from you IIRC but your family is easily automotively unhinged enough to make it happen.

The frame looks solid as hell. I've posted some of the repairs and maintenance I've done on it for him in my thread over the last 4-5 years or so. Here's the stuff I know it needs -
- it needs some new exhaust pipes, the ones on there now are pretty rotten. Haven't checked if rockauto can get them. If something's not listed under 1980 datsun 720, try 1980 nissan 720, they're 99% the same and I can't even remember if I've ever bought something for it from the 1980 datsun 720 entry.
- the bottom edges of both door skins are crusty and one's got a hole in it now. Last time I saw it they were only rust stained, so that was a shock.
- the floor pan is definitely in need of replacement over the cab mount on the driver side in the footwell. Not too surprising, but disappointing.
- the rockers look pretty solid but have rust staining on the paint, so I'm a little worried they may be rotted inside or something.
- the driver front fender suffered in an accident in Indiana a few years ago when some idiot pulled out in front of him. It's not horrible damage, but it certainly isn't beautiful.
- mechanical work it needs:
- new battery or battery charged back up (I can do the latter, but not looking to do the former); it was fine till it sat for around 2 years due to him buying a new car.
- new clutch slave cylinder. The part is like 30 bucks IIRC, and it's external slave. He never got around to sending me a pic of it (there are literally 3 different looking ones listed on rockauto and autozone for this model/year/engine/trans) but now it's in my driveway so I can handle this before someone buys it.
- could use the cooling system flushed I'm sure. I may do this if I get bored.
- needs front shocks, they're included under the drivers seat brand new and if I get bored I may install them.
- needs upper left balljoint replaced again within a year or two. I did all the balljoints for him in 2014 and my lovely pile of garbage grease gun ripped the zerk and threads out of this one. It's fine till it gets nasty in there then needs replacing. As with the others I may get bored and install it, since I bought a new one on RA for the princely sum of $7 and have it sitting on the shelf.

My GF says if we end up completely stuck with the thing and we can persuade it to pass safety inspection (shouldn't be too difficult) she'll use it as a winter beater, but since it's RWD, we live in the woods, and I can find far better winter beaters that wouldn't make me sad watching them rust, I'd rather have it go to someone who will give it a better life.

Stuff already done, by me or a good mechanic -
- mechanical fuel pump several years ago
- alternator I believe is a few years old
- front brakes a few years ago
- battery cables are my work, custom crimped to length from neoprene insulated welding cable
- carb cleaned, rebuilt, and repaired in 2014 by me and Fart Pipe
- vacuum system rebuilt with new lines as required at the same time, since it wouldn't run for poo poo with the dry rotted mess that was on there

Aside from the listed mechanical problems I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to California this weekend*. He bought it in AZ, drove it to Mass, then drove it to Missouri, Utah, Washington, Oregon, Missouri again, Utah again, Mass again, Kentucky, and Mass again over the last few years, the only issues he had were the fuel pump and alternator in Indiana, the fan belt flew off in Kentucky and I got a call from the breakdown lane about how to put it back on, the carb in Mass (so I fixed it), and the clutch slave cylinder.

Was busy with family visiting over the weekend, but I should be getting home at a reasonable time tonight and can hopefully take some pics of the problem areas.

* I did drive that 230k mile Justy home from Colorado with Fart Pipe though so my judgement may not be the best.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 19, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'll run it by him and see if he's interested. Maybe I'll fly up for NEAI and drive it back

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Selling my 1999 GMC Suburban SLE 2wd since I inherited my dads 2006 Ram Diesel and I don't need three vehicles - 224k (highway miles), AC will pelt you with ice cubes, front and rear (just replaced the compressor & receiver/dryer), power windows/locks/mirrors, and power driver seat. Installed 4 new Goodyear tires at the end of April, as well as new pads/rotors and front wheel bearings in January. I have taken the truck back and forth to NJ/NY/PA as well as used it as my commuter vehicle and have never had an issue with it. The previous owner rebuilt the transmission and it has never given me any trouble on my trips. Has the towing package and a hitch. Plated in NJ, but it is from SC and spent most of its life in NC.

The bad: right rear passenger seat has a tear in the cloth, the body has a dent in the rear passenger door, and the radiator has leak (never overheated - just keep it topped off about once per week).

Been asking $3500, but ~$2900 would be fine to have the driveway be less crowded. I'm located in Jacksonville NC - pics below:

Full album here - http://imgur.com/a/l2QO5

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Selling a new in sealed box, remanufactured Miata AC compressor w/ clutch that I ended up not using. This guy:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=815925&cc=1190955&jsn=9

$150 + shipping

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Anyone want a slightly used but good condition Metra 70-1817 Radio Wiring Harness For Chrysler/Jeep 1984-2006?

It was well installed in my '00 Jeep, it's still in good shape (I would absolutely reuse it if I had thought of removing it before I bought another one). Yours in the continental states for the low low price of an address to ship it to.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Anyone selling a small pickup truck that is preferably of any given Japanese brand? The less cylinders, the better. I am in Madison, WI so if you're within 3-4 hours driving distance that would be helpful...

deeter
Oct 21, 2005
I'm thinking about selling the XJR. I hate to do it, but I could use the money and I don't really need an extra car. It's a 2003, 147,050 miles, R1 package, supercharged 4.0L V8. The car pulls strong and is a lot of fun. The transmission shifts smooth. Cosmetically it's a little rough, but mechanically it's sound. All the electronics work except the subwoofer - just needs a replacement speaker, the amp is fine. 6 disc CD changer, navigation, power heated seats, sunroof. The only faults I've found are that the drivers side valve cover gasket has a slow leak, there's some minor body damage on the hood and quarter panel, and it could use a fresh set of tires. I'm asking $4,500, but I'm negotiable. Clear title in hand, located in Indianapolis.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Purchased this car from Das Volk back in January. Thing still runs without a hitch, though the flex disks need replacing. Immdediately after purchasing I added about $500 in stereo upgrades and it sounds pretty good (though not great).

Perfect beater/commuter - I'm only looking to sell because I am unexpectedly moving far away in the near future.

This is the diesel favorite, the one-year-only mechanically injected OM603 aluminum inline 6, with a later head which is one of the most reliable revisions. It sports a raging 143HP and 200 ft-lbs of torque, which means that unlike most diesel Mercs it can get out of its own way. It also will get 30MPG combined or better no matter how hard you drive it. Even better, you don't have to smog this one in CA.

Newish stuff:
-Suspension is in good shape, with new Bilstein dampers all around, newer OE wheels and Pole Position S-04s.
-Radio is a newer deck with line-in, Bluetooth audio and USB.
-New vacuum control valve for HVAC
-Blower motor is new
-Brakes recently done, parking brake adjusted
-Sunroof still works great somehow

This car is much less of a basketcase than the old 190E Cosworth I sold in here years ago, but it still has its share of problems.

-The stupid vacuum operated HVAC is having some issue I can't figure out, but the heat works.
-The AC works but the compressor switch needs replacing. It's an R12 system and was refilled recently (yes, with R12, don't ask.)
-Interior is a bit ratty, driver's side dash speaker is blown, and it will eventually need a driver side window regulator.
-Needs the Mercedes equivalent of a guibo
-Paint is fading, but there's no rust I can find, and it's been a local California car its whole life.

Given that shittier ones with half a million miles go for $2500, I'd like to get $3250 for this one.

Fire sale price of $2.2k, come get it!

I'll add more photos later, but here's one I took after the suspension work was done:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Buy my poo poo!

LQ oil pan and flexplate, front bench out of the Nova, and my Mustang's old wheels and tires.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pts/5687525384.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pts/5687567571.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/wto/5687591107.html

Goon pricing is available.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

http://imgur.com/a/yt27W
http://imgur.com/a/C9YE6

2007 SV650 3,029 miles :smith: $3,500 OBO

I never get to ride this thing, might as well sell it.

Extras:
OEM color matched rear seat cowel + normal seat
Holeshot exhaust
Frame sliders
Bar end mirrors
Trickle charger
Haynes service manual
Fender eliminator (uninstalled)

Gear:
Tank bag
Medium Helmet
Small Alpinestars textile jacket

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

-- No longer for sale -- Kept it long enough to use it in another car --

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm selling the 2001 4 door E46 330i I've owned and unfucked for the last year. I'll sell it for a goon price of 5750. I'm going to list it on CL for 7300 and see what happens. Not a lot of these cars on the market around here (Raleigh-Durham).

173,xxx miles.

It's a Carolinas car with roughly zero rust except on the exhaust.

Modifications:
Pioneer MVH-X560BT headunit
E60 shifter (much shorter).
K&N Intake, but I have the original assembly.

The bad stuff:
Car leaks from oil housing and rear main seal. Needs new diff bushings.

Good stuff:
New Bilstein B4s on all 4 corners along with Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s.
I've probably unfucked all the delayed maintenance by the previous owner. Replaced: Intake cam sensor, MAF sensor, front O2 sensors, PS pulley, VANOS seals, CCV system.

Valvecover and valvecover gasket have been replaced. Spark plugs have been replaced.

Entire front suspension is less than a year old, replaced with ECS tier 3 suspension kit.
I have all the rear suspension bushes I haven't replaced yet.

I have all the shifter linkage parts that attach to the front transmission, I just need to put it on the lift to take care of it.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 26, 2016