Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wooglin posted:

I don't either. The "scummy" argument makes no sense to me, and no one has been able to coherently explain it.

The only thing I can even begin to think is some super borderline prospects out of eligibility might not get an invite to the combine because their spot will be taken by some underclassman who might not even leave.

But frankly that type of guy almost certainly won't make it anyway so I have a hard time caring. I don't see why every single D1 player doesn't declare, it doesn't seem like there's a downside. Sure it's a waste of time for the 12th guy on Missouri's bench, but gently caress it, do it just to say you did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's not, except that I guarantee you that the NCAA didn't think that anyone would do such a thing when they wrote the rule, and such an act will have the rule either overturned or severely limited because the NCAA is not about doing what's best for the players.

why

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Wooglin posted:

I don't either. The "scummy" argument makes no sense to me, and no one has been able to coherently explain it.

People just assume anything cal does is bad. Like somehow he was a criminal who was destroying basketball by recruiting one and done guys even though guys who are one and done tend to be amazing basketball players with offers from basically everyone, he just happened to get more of them because he's better at recruiting. And you'll notice the chirping about that mysteriously dropped way off after Coach K started landing one or two 10 picks every year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 24, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
We're going to Madison Square Garden, ya'll

:unsmith:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Triple post because having a mod star means gently caress the edit button:

If the rule changes its not going to be because coach cal had a walk on declare to strengthen his "I'll get you paid" pitch, it'll be because other coaches who are worse at recruiting and the sort of sycophantic authority worshiping shithead fans and writers who put the interests of millionaire coaches over the interests of the free labor they are exploiting will start a bloo bloo bloooing about how it's hurting their recruiting because they have to spend a whole like two weeks extra or whatever it is not knowing for sure how many players they'll have on the roster while dressing the complaint up in the guise of caring about the horseshit concept of holy amateurism

e: aw dang it

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ross Angeles posted:

We're going to Madison Square Garden, ya'll

:unsmith:

Fairly cool NIT final four this year: Valpo vs BYU and San Diego State vs George Washington

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Go Fightin Bryce Drews

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm always torn with Calipari because on the one hand he really does give off the vibe of a used car salesman, but on the flip side yeah gently caress the NCAA and their nonsense restrictions on player freedoms. So the extent to which he annoys me is heavily outweighed by the NCAA's bullshit, not to mention all the sanctimonious sportswriters Cal pisses off trying to push their coded nonsense about Good Ol' Boys who play For the Love of the Game etc. etc.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

Fairly cool NIT final four this year: Valpo vs BYU and San Diego State vs George Washington

Really hoping it's a BYU/SDSU final. They refuse to play us any other way unless forced by some type of tournament.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Blame GarPax for that one!

Of course, time will really tell with Prohm, but he might be a better coach than Hoiberg. He seems at least to be equal to him right now, so from the ISU side it turned out ok. From the Bulls side it sucks though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

He seems at least to be equal to him right now, so from the ISU side it turned out ok.

Seems kinda generous given the roster he inherited

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I will give him credit for showing McKay that he doesn't take bullshit, while still getting him to come back and not pout. No idea how he'll be able to recruit though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He doesn't take bullshit unless they're playing someone good and then hey whatever

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Wasn't it Coach K's whiny bullshit about not knowing who was staying and going that got the NCAA to change the rule to begin with. It made absolutely no sense. But Cal even got around that by being an intermediary between NBA scouts and his players and holding private workouts during the tiny period of time the players had to decide. I'm sure the NCAA and other coaches without good connections didn't like that.

As for the whole team declaring, why the hell not. If you're even a borderline pick, go find out what NBA scouts think you need to improve on, and work on increasing your stock next year. But I'm sure some of you wouldn't have a hard time believing how much that pissed some of our fan base off. Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt that they don't know the rules have changed and they have more time to come back now, but that declaration of all players declaring on top of losing in the second round (to Indiana, no less) and the crazies are out in full force. There are some that think Cal needs to go. Who the hell do they think is better for Kentucky right now?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

He doesn't take bullshit unless they're playing someone good and then hey whatever

Well, compared to their previous coach he doesn't take bullshit. Whatever he did seemed to work out for McKay and the team, so more power to him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Seemed like Hoiberg's style was working out fine too though? I don't get that complaint. And going "yeah the team is fixed and he's just as good as Hoiberg"' because they made a sweet 16 seems like a pretty big overreaction to two games against pretty crappy opponents

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't always agree with UK fans but their argument is absolutely right on that people who call Cal scummy and say the vacated games in the past prove he's dirty are jealous fans of other teams in glass houses who haven't taken the time to really study up on just what happened.

Cal might have been dirty in the past but there is zero proof of it and I firmly believe that he doesn't have to cut corners recruiting to UK at all. There you go, Kentucky fans I admit you are right about that. (and about Helms banners but that's a discussion for another time, hopefully never)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

Seemed like Hoiberg's style was working out fine too though? I don't get that complaint. And going "yeah the team is fixed and he's just as good as Hoiberg"' because they made a sweet 16 seems like a pretty big overreaction to two games against pretty crappy opponents

The second part of what you said doesn't seem to be referring to anything I said, but on the first part, considering that their season last year ended in the first round with a future NBA player not even playing in the second half because that relationship had gotten so toxic, it seemed like cracks were starting to show with Hoiberg and his style. I don't remember the whole timeline with BDJ, but there had to be a better way to handle it that wouldn't have resulted in that shitshow in the most important game of the season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Last year, ISU finished 12-6 in conference, this year 10-8. Last year, ISU lost games they should have won, like at Texas Tech, and at KSU, and this year 3 of the losses were in OT, and could have been won in regulation had the last shot had fallen, and none of our losses were bad losses. Even the one loss to UNI that looked bad, turned out to be ok considering they ended up being a tournament team. This year, ISU lost by 3 to OU in the Big 12 tournament. Last year, ISU was nearly eliminated by Texas, and had some miracle comebacks to win the tournament.

This year, ISU played 7-8 guys per game. Last year, ISU played 8-9 guys per game, and ISU lost a starter at the beginning of the season this year. All things considered, I think Prohm and Hoiberg would have had roughly the same success this year with this team. If Naz was healthy all year, there were probably 1-2 games that ISU would have won because of the added depth. I just don't see any great disparity between Prohm and Hoiberg right now. Of course, Hoiberg was at ISU for 5 years, and Prohm has been here one, so time will tell.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Another reason to hate Wisconsin basketball...

http://www.channel3000.com/sports/badgers/badgers-create-fresh-prince-of-the-big-dance-video/38671252

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

The second part of what you said doesn't seem to be referring to anything I said, but on the first part, considering that their season last year ended in the first round with a future NBA player not even playing in the second half because that relationship had gotten so toxic, it seemed like cracks were starting to show with Hoiberg and his style. I don't remember the whole timeline with BDJ, but there had to be a better way to handle it that wouldn't have resulted in that shitshow in the most important game of the season.

I mean if we're judging a guy off one bad tournament game then I guess he cracks are starting to show for Izzo too? Their season as a whole was better last year with mostly the same core.

Prohm may well wind up being similarly successful it just seems premature to say that now given that he inherited a team that was Top 5 or so preseason. They hit some rough patches during the year and making the sweet 16 doesn't really seem like some great feat of coaching given their draw. It was also Hoiberg's players and they're still pretty much running Hoiberg's offense. I'd want to see him coach his own team in his own style before I put him on the same level as the guy who took a program that was a mess and rebuilt it into a nationally relevant team and big twelve contender in like two years.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 24, 2016

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

I mean if we're judging a guy off one bad tournament game then I guess he cracks are starting to show for Izzo too?

What starter did Izzo sit (or the player refused to play) for the second half of their tournament game because Izzo didn't properly address issues with that player and let it come to a head during the NCAA tournament??

I don't think Prohm is a better coach than Hoiberg, at all, I'm just giving him credit for how he handled McKay compared to how Hoiberg handled BDJ.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
On the same day that Cat Barber confirms he'll be staying in the draft—which pretty much everyone expected—Caleb and Cody Martin also announced they would be transferring from NC State.

The team would have been competitive next year without Barber, but that depended on the Martin twins developing. Now they're going to be scrambling to get even more grad transfers than they were already, and they'll probably have to waste a scholarship or two on potential in the freshman class that probably won't pay off. Gottfried does some things well, but he loses a really worrying number of players to transfer; you can take that as long as you're getting in the tournament but otherwise it's a bad, bad look.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

kiimo posted:

I don't always agree with UK fans but their argument is absolutely right on that people who call Cal scummy and say the vacated games in the past prove he's dirty are jealous fans of other teams in glass houses who haven't taken the time to really study up on just what happened.

Cal might have been dirty in the past but there is zero proof of it and I firmly believe that he doesn't have to cut corners recruiting to UK at all. There you go, Kentucky fans I admit you are right about that. (and about Helms banners but that's a discussion for another time, hopefully never)
I hate his dumb stupid face and am glad he got pissed at being 4 seed

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

gently caress both the NCAA and John Calipari. This is the Correct Opinion.™

Juwan Morgan will be back for Indiana tomorrow against North Carolina, and Robert Johnson is better than 50/50. Both returning would be great news for IU.

Also, go Crusaders.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
And Cronin stays at Cincinnati. Who's the next coach to say no to UNLV :smith:

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

And Cronin stays at Cincinnati. Who's the next coach to say no to UNLV :smith:

That's kind of surprising, wasn't UNLV offering 3 million a year?

Just hire Augmon so he can either be good and shut everyone up or get fired next year.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

FartingBedpost posted:

That's kind of surprising, wasn't UNLV offering 3 million a year?

Just hire Augmon so he can either be good and shut everyone up or get fired next year.

Well, the admin has gotta be thinking of making moves with relation to whatever expansion/realignment happens and football isn't paying the bills so a one year disaster hire of Augmon wouldn't help with that

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

Well, the admin has gotta be thinking of making moves with relation to whatever expansion/realignment happens and football isn't paying the bills so a one year disaster hire of Augmon wouldn't help with that

Where do you think UNLV will end up? Because I feel like Boise and SDSU will be the first to leave, honestly.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

FartingBedpost posted:

Where do you think UNLV will end up? Because I feel like Boise and SDSU will be the first to leave, honestly.

Hell if I know. Probably nowhere. Nothing has worked right for UNLV since Tark was run out

edit: except Lon, but dumbasses let him go

Lessail fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 25, 2016

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

Hell if I know. Probably nowhere. Nothing has worked right for UNLV since Tark was run out

I doubt any team leaves. The Mountain West shot themselves in the foot this year.

And honestly, going to the MW tournament a few years ago was 50% supporting New Mexico, 50% sitting behind Tark. Guy was old as hell, but you still remembered he was a great coach.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FartingBedpost posted:

If SDSU can find any power conference to take us, we're gone. Unfortunately I don't think that's happening any time soon

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Ross Angeles posted:

If SDSU can find any power conference to take us, we're gone. Unfortunately I don't think that's happening any time soon

SDSU is really the only team that would be looked at seriously right now, and even then, the conference didn't do itself any favors.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think they would be first on the list if the Pac-16 happened.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/status/713456582638460928

I have no stake in Tulane basketball but that is... an interesting name.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Georgia Tech fired Brian Gregory, that's going to be a major rebuild job with all the minutes they're losing.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Preemptive lol for when UNLV hires Marvin Menzies, it's all I have left

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

Preemptive lol for when UNLV hires Marvin Menzies, it's all I have left

Considering what Menzies has done with the garbage fire that is NMSU, it might be a good hire.

Like ... an unsteady might.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

FartingBedpost posted:

Considering what Menzies has done with the garbage fire that is NMSU, it might be a good hire.

Nah. 0-5 in the NCAA Tournament is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kiimo posted:

I think they would be first on the list if the Pac-16 happened.

I think SDSU's options are Pac-12 expansion or the Mountain West becoming a power conference. Option 2 I think actually could have happened, but all their successful and/or big market schools bailed and that ship sailed.

• Locked thread