Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Bunny posted:

After the tree boss there's an alter for you to sacrifice something. What is it for?

bone shackles to rank up in the purple covenant. no idea how to actually join it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Lakbay posted:

You need to kill the boss of Cathedral of the Deep to advance

I...have no idea where that is! Guess I'll have to keep exploring :cool:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

The Bunny posted:

After the tree boss there's an alter for you to sacrifice something. What is it for?

Vertebrae, the Mound Maker covenant item.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
So what the mound makers just skulk into a game and just kill who-the-gently caress-ever?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Soft tombs area spoiler: The place has more than two bonfires. You can make your way down into the deep and continue to likely more bosses and different zones, I'm exploring now and ohfuuuuuck
THIS GAME!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Boomstick Quaid posted:

So what the mound makers just skulk into a game and just kill who-the-gently caress-ever?

Yes and It's loving hilarious because they 'win' by killing any phantom, so a purple invader can go after a red phantom if they want

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

anyone found Rosaria? I've been all over this cathedral

victrix posted:

Yes and It's loving hilarious because they 'win' by killing any phantom, so a purple invader can go after a red phantom if they want

they're also hostile to enemies. they're just total wild cards. i once summoned one who helped me through the level before we got jumped by a couple of swamp defenders

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

lets hang out posted:

anyone found Rosaria? I've been all over this cathedral

they're also hostile to enemies. they're just total wild cards. i once summoned one who helped me through the level before we got jumped by a couple of swamp defenders

Hell yes this sounds like my jam

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

goferchan posted:

Holy poo poo kinda later-game but you go back to Anor Londo and there's a boss fight in the O&S room

back the gently caress up, what?

edit: HOLY poo poo

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 24, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Caved and bought the JP release after all. I survived all of one day before I crumbled. :v:

Downloading now, gotta head back to work but it probably won't be done until I get off. Ohhhhh man here we go.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

victrix posted:

Would be perfect for my invader accounts and their cosplay, because consider that with a ring that changes your colour appearance. Where do I join them?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 24, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Would be perfect for my invader accounts and their cosplay, because consider that with a ring that changes your colour appearance. Where do I join them?

Right under the tree boss

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

victrix posted:

Such an easy method that I passed on. Dohhhh. Okay when I take a break from going through the game I'll get that going, thank you.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

how do i raise the bridge again in the cathedral of the deep? it got lowered on me and maybe rosaria is over there??? but i don't know what made it go up in the first place.

victrix posted:

wait how do you join? i offered the thing and my rank apparently went up but i can't leave purple signs

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The most important NPC confirmed. :buddy:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lets hang out posted:

wait how do you join? i offered the thing and my rank apparently went up but i can't leave purple signs

you didn't get the sign? hmm, I might be wrong, I saw someone offering there so I figured that was the way to join too :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

Question. If I buy the dark souls 3 digital code from Japan to do the xbone English unlock trick is there a chance they could revoke it if I sit on it too long before they fix that loophole?

Yes but no one is going to get their account banned for playing a game they paid for legitimately even if it wasn't meant to be available so go hog wild (you'll always have the japan license unlocked and once the US version is turned on for online play, you'll already have a license for that.)

dudeman posted:

My humblest apologies to glorious nippon if I am posting this in the wrong thread, but for anyone who unlocked and is playing this on their xboner, are you able to play online?

DkS3 keeps starting in offline mode, and I see no option to go online :(

Also, I heard someone mention a 1.01 day-1 patch, but my version says 1.00?

If your console is in 'Japanese' language mode, it automatically pulls from the Japan store, and you get the Japan version which is 1.01 and is online.

If your console is in 'I can read this' mode, it automatically pulls from your country's store and you get the US/whatever English version which is 1.00 and is offline.

If you want to play online, you have to learn to read Japanese sufficiently to recognize "Door does not open from this side". Obviously the entire point of this game is to play online.

You can have both versions simultaneously (I'm not sure how but a friend of mine accomplished it yesterday) but if you do, the system will attempt to default to your local region's version, and that will make the US version start. We thought maybe we could keep a US version on hand to be able to do translations as needed but nope.

The steps for accomplishing the japanese purchase are this (at least mine were):
1) Create an account at amazon.jp. Input your US credit card and a Japanese physical shipping address. Put your real life billing address as your billing address.
2) Then buy your 7500 yen's worth of cards. The exchange rate for me was $68 when I did it a week ago. You'll probably not be able to find the 2500 cards.
3) Put your console into Japanese language mode, restart
4) Go to xbox.com and go to the "Redeem Code" page, on the left sidebar is a chance to 'change region' - put it to Japan.
5) Put in your yen codes into Xbox.com. I had to wait a couple hours before Amazon.jp verified my purchase was legit.
6) On the console, go to the store and buy DS3. It's the button on the farthest left, which will have a price in yen on it. (this is also your download button later)
7) Mine asked me at this point to input a Japanese physical address - this was easier to do on xbox.com than on the console, use the same shipping address you used to set up the amazon account. Once you've accomplished this (I recommend having Google Translate on your phone) then re-select the 'buy/download' button. Your download will start from the japan store.
8) Put your xbox back into English/US mode, restart. Continue the download. You now have the JP version, and I think you need to DL the entire thing first to get the license onboard. You can play the JP version while having the rest of your Xbone in english.
9) If you don't want to play online, delete this and go into your "Stuff I own" section, while in US mode, and download it again. Now you're playing in english but there will be no jolly co-operation.
10) The two games' save files will not work with each other and you'll have to start a new character for each one.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I'm streaming again if anyone wants to watch some early-mid game wandering aimlessly since I have no idea where to go. twitch.tv/nattyboy1985

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ether Frenzy posted:

If your console is in 'Japanese' language mode, it automatically pulls from the Japan store, and you get the Japan version which is 1.01 and is online.

If your console is in 'I can read this' mode, it automatically pulls from your country's store and you get the US/whatever English version which is 1.00 and is offline.

Hm, good to know. Now I gotta decide if I want to re-download it :v:

On the one hand, I'm okay with mostly playing solo for the first couple weeks until the real release. On the other hand I don't really mind Japanese anyways...

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
On PS4, I'm thinking I'll need to turn on cross-region play. I've seen two white phantom messages I could summon, and that is it. I've been embered a fair amount, too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ring of true colors - increases power of kick :laffo:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like that the "undead settlement" in Japanese looks like a dude, an arrow going up through the ground, and a ton of houses

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao i watched a youtube archived stream of some dude who was the "furthest along" and near the end of the boss fight i suddenly realized it was the final boss and then the ending and credits played. OH WELL. it might not actually be the final boss what with those 3 endings and prior souls games secrets and all but LOL that first ending is worse than ds1.

still, it's the journey and all that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

He's even loving smirking.

Ophiotaurus
Aug 3, 2014

Genocyber posted:

I didn't get as much time as I would have liked to play this yesterday, but I did get up to Firelink at least. Anyone else have a bit of trouble with Gundyr? I need to justify my difficulty with him.

I died no less than five times during the tutorial, at least three times to Gundyr (As a reference, I got to Firelink with about 8000 souls between dying and killing him and the giant lizard). I suppose after hundreds of hours across four games, and at least 40 hours in Dark Souls 1 over the past month, the mechanics in this one are just different enough that it fucks with my timing on everything. Oddly enough, Gundyr actually ended up being the easiest enemy for me to parry. This game is just going to kick my rear end until I stop trying to treat it like Dark Souls 1 and respect it as its own beast.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao i watched a youtube archived stream of some dude who was the "furthest along" and near the end of the boss fight i suddenly realized it was the final boss and then the ending and credits played. OH WELL. it might not actually be the final boss what with those 3 endings and prior souls games secrets and all but LOL that first ending is worse than ds1.

still, it's the journey and all that.

I'm fairly certain I'm watching the same stream you did, and if so, the first loving boss of that stream looks like the final boss. If it's not, how the hell could the final boss even top that? Like, they're straight up fighting in the Kiln of the First Flame

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I guess I have to ask since I am going hollow facing this dumb boss over and over and over again - is there a move or something that keeps the gang of popes boss from taking damage in the second phase? I know the two blue friends can heal it but sometimes I'm hitting it and there are no numbers at all. Is it switching to another guy or something?

How fun to face two bosses in a row that resist magic... :smith:

EDIT: On the run immediately after this post, I beat it. :downs:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 24, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gologle posted:

I'm fairly certain I'm watching the same stream you did, and if so, the first loving boss of that stream looks like the final boss. If it's not, how the hell could the final boss even top that? Like, they're straight up fighting in the Kiln of the First Flame

i don't know. but it seems the final boss is just dude on the games front cover and there were leaks about another boss called the countess of the abyss or something like that. i can't read japanese but others are saying its the player character from ds1 which would make sense i guess. but there are 3 ending achievements with names that seem to suggest 3 different endings and different bosses so maybe it's a ds2 situation (or bloodborne from what others are saying)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's the guy I'm talking about too. It would be so rad if two of the possible final bosses are the player character from DS1 and the player character from DS2

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ok, I had a feeling this was the case. Thanks for clarifying!

I think I'll stick to the "I can read this mode" and just play offline for now, as much as it sucks to lose out on co-op/pvp and 'try tongue in but hole' tomfoolery.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Gologle posted:

That's the guy I'm talking about too. It would be so rad if two of the possible final bosses are the player character from DS1 and the player character from DS2

[final boss talk no one should read this poo poo] i just watched a bit again and the moveset and everything he's doing is just abilities the player character had in ds1, even has the ring flip and ds1 animations for attacks and healing. i think its safe to say this one is some kind of amalgamation of various chosen undead.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm pretty sure that The player character in DS1 could not fire Kamehameha's out of his shapeshifting sword/lance/scimitar/staff.

Just joking, I see where you're coming from. I can't wait to play this game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

wish all these dudes watching shitloads of the game streamed would put something up on the wikis

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I like that the "undead settlement" in Japanese looks like a dude, an arrow going up through the ground, and a ton of houses

Google Translate calls it "Immortality Street".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Is hair color bugged? Seems like the only options are black, grey or white. Brown or red just looks totally black.

I'm liking the expanded beard options though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
For people who have beaten the game, are end/late game or watching streams: Is the game progression as linear as I think it is? From what I've seen and heard the game only branches out to go to Cathedral of the Deep and the secret dragon area but the rest is one big long line of progression. I'm a bit worried since I enjoy skipping as much content as possible on replays to get the best weapons asap.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

lets hang out posted:

wish all these dudes watching shitloads of the game streamed would put something up on the wikis

If I could read Japanese, you have my word I'd be filling up that wiki as fast as my fingers could type.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Finster Dexter posted:

Google Translate calls it "Immortality Street".

Excellent

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Boss 1. Phase 2.

The first goddamned boss in the game.

:psyboom:

This game... is going to be loving GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if your character is a man does Yuria still try to pair you off with Anri or is it someone else, like that woman knight?

• Locked thread