Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I tried hangouts for SMS about a year and a half ago, and for some reason my phone randomly failed to notify me of new messages. I gave up and went back to the stock SMS app (It was a Motorola Razr M at the time, so nothing crazy) and eventually switched to Google Messenger.

Google Messenger is nice. Real nice, actually. It's dumb, but I like color-coding people/conversations :v:

I had the same experience as you, I tired Hangouts for a long time. One day Hangouts stopped telling me when I got a new message and I ended up going back to my lovely TouchWiz SMS, then Google Messenger after they released that.

I still have the notification issue with Hangouts, which I still use for gchat conversation. If I could figure out how to get it to work well again that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TwistedNails posted:

I had the same experience as you, I tired Hangouts for a long time. One day Hangouts stopped telling me when I got a new message and I ended up going back to my lovely TouchWiz SMS, then Google Messenger after they released that.

I still have the notification issue with Hangouts, which I still use for gchat conversation. If I could figure out how to get it to work well again that would be great.

In your time and date settings, is network time turned on?

I have a coworker for whom Hangouts stopped notifying on her Samsung S5 Active and the reason was because some update turned off network time. Turned network time back on and the problem was instantly resolved.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I noticed that with Hangouts, and occasionally Messenger, if you managed to close the window just as the message was coming in, you wouldn't get a notification.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
This probably only appeals to a small subset of those of you here in the US, but the best nerd-level radar tool just got a big update. RadarScope 3.0 introduces a much better material design layout and split panels for Pro users.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.basevelocity.radarscope

New layout makes it Google-Maps style to toggle layers on and off and the split panels makes it easier to look at velocity+reflectivity.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think Messenger is the absolute best Google-designed app available on Android. It:
  • does one thing, which is send SMS messages. It does that one thing well.
  • sends SMS messages and only SMS messages, so the person you're sending the message to will receive your message regardless of platform, region, app usage, mobile network, preferred social network, etc.
    • well, besides any network issues, which will be out of your control and also affect others nearby anyway. Shared adversity!
  • has no extraneous 'value added' features, besides those required to send SMS messages.
  • neatly highlights unread messages, and allows you to swipe away conversations you're done with without deleting them entirely.

...so I won't be surprised a single little bit when it's turned into a Fit-integrated social video livestreaming service at I/O this year, and abandoned before I/O next year

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

spincube posted:

I think Messenger is the absolute best Google-designed app available on Android. It:
  • sends SMS messages and only SMS messages, so the person you're sending the message to will receive your message regardless of platform, region, app usage, mobile network, preferred social network, etc.
    • well, besides any network issues, which will be out of your control and also affect others nearby anyway. Shared adversity!
  • has no extraneous 'value added' features, besides those required to send SMS messages.
  • neatly highlights unread messages, and allows you to swipe away conversations you're done with without deleting them entirely.

...so I won't be surprised a single little bit when it's turned into a Fit-integrated social video livestreaming service at I/O this year, and abandoned before I/O next year

I agree with this, but there's always Textra.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any good apps that monitor batter usage that don't require root? I uninstalled Facebook, so I want to see what else is making my battery last less than a day when I barely use the phone.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

spincube posted:

The look and feel of it sucks if you don't like the look of that ecosystem

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
What does Messenger do that the stock Android SMS app doesn't? (Serious question.)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Messenger is the stock Android SMS app.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

LastInLine posted:

In your time and date settings, is network time turned on?

I have a coworker for whom Hangouts stopped notifying on her Samsung S5 Active and the reason was because some update turned off network time. Turned network time back on and the problem was instantly resolved.

My update seemed to turn those off too, I will let you know tomorrow if it fixed it. Thank you for the tip, hopefully this helps because I get a lot of chat messages throughout the work day and have just been opening the app up on my own to check them.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

So will Messenger handle GV text messages when my GV number is not my phone's actual number? I imagine it'd receive them, but will it let me send from my GV number too?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Luceo posted:

So will Messenger handle GV text messages when my GV number is not my phone's actual number? I imagine it'd receive them, but will it let me send from my GV number too?

Nope, only hangouts works with Google Voice unless I've missed something big. You could probably forward your Google Voice messages to your regular phone number, but that is not fun just going from memory.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

FunOne posted:

This probably only appeals to a small subset of those of you here in the US, but the best nerd-level radar tool just got a big update. RadarScope 3.0 introduces a much better material design layout and split panels for Pro users.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.basevelocity.radarscope

New layout makes it Google-Maps style to toggle layers on and off and the split panels makes it easier to look at velocity+reflectivity.

This update is great and very welcome heading into the storm season here in the central plains.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

New to Android with a 5X; is there a recommended app that gives you multiple profiles for "Do Not Disturb" settings or a better way to approach that (like if I have different concepts of what's a priority when I'm at work vs. asleep)?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

New to Android with a 5X; is there a recommended app that gives you multiple profiles for "Do Not Disturb" settings or a better way to approach that (like if I have different concepts of what's a priority when I'm at work vs. asleep)?

If you head to your phone's Settings menu, then 'Sound & notification', then 'Do not disturb', you can choose what Priority means to you - so between normal (makes noise) and silent (doesn't make noise) modes, you can allow SMS' or calls from starred contacts through but silence everything else.

You can also set up automatic rules, so if there's an event scheduled on your Google Calendar it'll go into Priority mode, and/or when it's a weekday between 22:00 and 05:00 it'll be completely silent.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Something started recently that makes me want to fastball my phone.

I'll go to hangouts via notification, start typing my reply, and all of a sudden in the middle of typing it flips to the Hangouts splash screen and says "signing in" and drops me back into the conversation list instead of the conversation I was in the middle of typing in.

Anyone else have this start happening recently?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I'll go to hangouts via notification, start typing my reply, and all of a sudden in the middle of typing it flips to the Hangouts splash screen and says "signing in" and drops me back into the conversation list instead of the conversation I was in the middle of typing in.

Not that specifically, but for me, I'll go to hangouts via notification, and the splash screen never goes away. I've gotta back out to the conversation list and find whatever I was trying to look at, which is marked read now... Hangouts loving blows, and I feel like an idiot for ever using Google Voice. :shepface:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been perfectly fine with Hangouts with Google Voice until this issue so I'm not quite ready to say it blows.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

spincube posted:

Priority rules
Yeah, I mean is there something that lets me define and switch between a few different sets of those priority rules?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

spincube posted:

I think Messenger is the absolute best Google-designed app available on Android.

I switched away from it after I realized it was compressing any pictures I tried to send to a ridiculously small size with tons of jpg artifacts

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Can't say I've had this on my phone but the desktop app does this to me a LOT.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I've been perfectly fine with Hangouts with Google Voice until this issue so I'm not quite ready to say it blows.

I was being a bit harsh, but to be honest, I can never remember a time when I thought Google Voice worked as well as just using my phone's number. There has always been something that didn't work well, or just didn't work at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Thermopyle posted:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can't say I've had this on my phone but the desktop app does this to me a LOT.

I use Hangouts a lot, both on the desktop and on mobile, and I've never seen anything like this. And I mean I use it a lot, like every few minutes every minute I'm awake. This is on Mac and Windows, Chrome app and extension, and of course Android.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah, I mean is there something that lets me define and switch between a few different sets of those priority rules?

I use this.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=netroken.android.persistfree

I don't play around with sound enough to know if it'll work for you, but they have a free and paid option. I just like it because it makes muting everything easier.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Mogomra posted:

I was being a bit harsh, but to be honest, I can never remember a time when I thought Google Voice worked as well as just using my phone's number. There has always been something that didn't work well, or just didn't work at all.

That's weird. For me it's always been better, except for the Sprint / Voice MMS fiasco. Fortunately for me I hate most of the MMS message people send me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mogomra posted:

I started using GVoice when it was actually GrandCentral and up until a couple years ago I felt the exact same way. Then Google got it integrated with Hangouts and then got it working right in Hangouts and then it's been so well integrated across desktop and mobile that I forget that not everyone lives in the glorious Google Voice world I live in.

Until it got lovely for me a couple days ago.

But now maybe it's better? I haven't had a problem in a couple hours...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

This has been happening to me too off and on for a couple weeks. Figured it was just my phone screwing up.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I don't know if I was just never using Pushbullet to its fullest capabilities, but Join is so amazing. A must have for Android. Buying as quickly as possible once it reminds me after the trial ends.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Join seems pretty good, thanks!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

I started using GVoice when it was actually GrandCentral and up until a couple years ago I felt the exact same way. Then Google got it integrated with Hangouts and then got it working right in Hangouts and then it's been so well integrated across desktop and mobile that I forget that not everyone lives in the glorious Google Voice world I live in.

Until it got lovely for me a couple days ago.

I've loved having gvoice for calls as an option, until a few weeks ago. I don't think it was directly tied to the network changes (iirc it preceded that update) but now I sometimes get skips and echoes like there's a drunken old-timey operator messing with the call connection.

Still great for having a backup/screener number and fine for texting+VM, but live voice calling is no longer 100% reliable for me on wifi or LTE like it was.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
Any recommendations for a widget to switch between stereo and mono audio? I can only have one earphone on at work so it would be nice to not have to jump into the settings every time I'm done.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Google Voice has been working fine for me this whole time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mogomra posted:

The only thing that it doesn't have now that I can think of is an SMS gateway.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I cleared cache, uninstalled and reinstalled it. Works fine now.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

zerocrash posted:

Any recommendations for a widget to switch between stereo and mono audio? I can only have one earphone on at work so it would be nice to not have to jump into the settings every time I'm done.

I don't know that one exists. Apparently, Mono accessibility wasn't added until pretty recently, actually, and it looks like people who were hard-of-hearing in one ear didn't even have a third-party system-wide substitute.

If you're rooted, though, you can manage two different profiles for the same app. If it has a setting for mono, then... Maybe you could have a work-version and an elsewhere-version.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any good places to see other people's Nova Launcher setups? I like the functionality, but I'm too uncreative to put it to use

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I've just started using Llama to do this. It does it via location and can do a lot more. Ugly old interface but works really well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Deeters posted:

Are there any good places to see other people's Nova Launcher setups? I like the functionality, but I'm too uncreative to put it to use

Lifehacker features some from time to time. Some require a bit more customization that just Nova Luancher allows, but you can get some ideas.
http://lifehacker.com/tag/featured-home-screen

EDIT: some of the crazy ones require Themer, which I've never used.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycolorscreen.themer

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 26, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's a good app for taking down handwritten/drawn notes? Something like Keep but with a bigger canvas would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

flatluigi posted:

What's a good app for taking down handwritten/drawn notes? Something like Keep but with a bigger canvas would be ideal.

You mean something like OneNote?