Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You guys care way too much about why a group is "poo poo" when its usually your own fault that they dislike you. A good portion of this thread is filled with "So I joined this group, ignored all their requests, told them to get hosed, then got banned. What a bunch of dickheads, am I right?"

Just loving play a shootman game and if you feel a group causes drama, just leave the group and don't play with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
SHOOT PEOPLE

CAUSE INTERNET DRAMA LATER

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

SoapyTarantula posted:

You guys care way too much about why a group is "poo poo" when its usually your own fault that they dislike you. A good portion of this thread is filled with "So I joined this group, ignored all their requests, told them to get hosed, then got banned. What a bunch of dickheads, am I right?"

Just loving play a shootman game and if you feel a group causes drama, just leave the group and don't play with them.

Funnily enough, complaining about doing this myself is how the conversation got started. I only really posted to share my trip report that confirms the public opinion of 'a lot of public arma groups aren't for everyone'. I'll be doing more group searching regardless.

On an unrelated note, I've seen people talking about Liberate/Liberation quite a bit in here. There seem to be very few public servers playing this that I don't have >150ms ping to, so I'm assuming the majority of servers aren't EU or something. Is it even worth trying to play on a US server, since KOTH is literally unplayable for me on a US server?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen pings under 500 ms matter much in Arma, but I don't play things like KotH.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Uh, I may be misunderstanding something then. High ping servers (120-200ms) tend to give me the red chain in the bottom right just constantly, and every so often I just get stuck with 'No message received for X seconds.' and I have to reconnect. I assumed that was related, since I've never seen either in low ping servers.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Red Mike posted:

Uh, I may be misunderstanding something then. High ping servers (120-200ms) tend to give me the red chain in the bottom right just constantly, and every so often I just get stuck with 'No message received for X seconds.' and I have to reconnect. I assumed that was related, since I've never seen either in low ping servers.

The red chain actually is less to do with the ping and more to do with the desync. It's probably just that the server is really over-stressed or really under-spec'd because I've played on plenty of servers with 300~400 ping average without any problem. Ping is usually pretty irrelevant in this game, actually, because on the rare occasions where it's noticeable, you're more likely to confuse it for the bullet taking a little longer than expected to fly through the air and hit the target.

edit-- by the way, has anyone else noticed how cool the new server browser is? it works lightyears better for me than the in-game one.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 23, 2016

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you can stomach our rather large add-on set you should come play with Arma-Goons sometimes. It looks intimidating but ArmaSync makes it trivial aside from the download size (we like terrains okay). Task Force Radio needs a little drag and drop help outside of ArmaSync but that's about the only headache and TFR is awesome.

We're a small group so we don't need to worry about all that rigid chain of command stuff and I don't think there's a single rear end in a top hat in the group.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Strumpie posted:

Since I've been called out, LSD deserves everything he gets and no one is surprised he was banned from the 50th ArmA group/server for loving around.
I was Bravo SL and commanding Bravo Vic so I heard you ignoring repeated requests to move back and for you to listen to the CO. (Also to stop mouthing off) This group is about as casual and laid back as you can possibly get; you still pissed off so many people you were banned.

I've been dropping in for two months and you caused the one and only 'issue' I have ever seen, congratulations. Red Mike, sorry you had to witness LSD, he is a total fart.

Please never talk to me or name me again, Thanks. :thumbsup:
sounds like a fun game to play

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah it does. With the -OPPOSITEDAY starting parameter, that is!!!!!

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Sauer posted:

If you can stomach our rather large add-on set you should come play with Arma-Goons sometimes. It looks intimidating but ArmaSync makes it trivial aside from the download size (we like terrains okay). Task Force Radio needs a little drag and drop help outside of ArmaSync but that's about the only headache and TFR is awesome.

We're a small group so we don't need to worry about all that rigid chain of command stuff and I don't think there's a single rear end in a top hat in the group.

Come for silly shootmans, stay for drunk tvt.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Please. We are a serious arma group and you will get an assigned rank based on your entry test scores.

You are also required to worship our benevolent cult leader, Cooked "Smorgasbork" Auto, and if you do well enough you might receive the sought-after Golden Sigh

Netkev
Dec 7, 2014

AirborneNinja posted:

That sounds needlessly abusive for a first time offender. There is likely more to the story.

Yeah, he'd been making GBS threads all over the rules (at least try to inform your superiors as to what you are doing/why/that you are still alive/don't spam command channel with your boasting) for quite a few sessions now. In the first mission he took off in the only tank on the field and drove it into a town without infantry support, the hosts reminded him that it's a team game which he promptly ignored in favour of CQC clearing houses as an IFV driver the next mission.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Netkev posted:

Yeah, he'd been making GBS threads all over the rules (at least try to inform your superiors as to what you are doing/why/that you are still alive/don't spam command channel with your boasting) for quite a few sessions now. In the first mission he took off in the only tank on the field and drove it into a town without infantry support, the hosts reminded him that it's a team game which he promptly ignored in favour of CQC clearing houses as an IFV driver the next mission.

Hey I didn't know you were a goon, man. Did you see that video? Because I actually addressed almost all of your points in it iirc. Basically the tank thing is a misunderstanding. I didn't get to talk about the IFV driver thing but there's more to it than that: I left the vehicle less than one minute before the mission ended when everybody was hunting for the last AI to kill (and we all knew the mission was ending soon because it was the third time I had played that mission with you guys). Fer was just sperging out because he was frustrated. If I had done that in the middle of the mission then yeah I'd agree about making GBS threads all over the rules or whatever but no.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 24, 2016

Netkev
Dec 7, 2014

Love Stole the Day posted:

Hey I didn't know you were a goon, man. Did you see that video? Because I actually addressed almost all of your points in it iirc. Basically the tank thing is a misunderstanding. I didn't get to talk about the IFV driver thing but there's more to it than that: I left the vehicle less than one minute before the mission ended when everybody was hunting for the last AI to kill (and we all knew the mission was ending soon because it was the third time I had played that mission with you guys). Fer was just sperging out because he was frustrated. If I had done that in the middle of the mission then yeah I'd agree about making GBS threads all over the rules or whatever but no.

Saying that one of your fellow players "sperged out" is one of the major reasons this happened in the first place, your mannerisms and general attitude towards other people in sessions are to borrow an overused phrase "immature" (seeing the rules as too strictly authoritative, excessive boasting, caring about your individual score/effectiveness, getting defensive when the hosts remind you to follow the rules (I wasn't looking for an apology or an excuse, I just wanted to remind you because I was on CC and the commander wasn't getting any responses (gently caress me this sentence sucks))).

Honestly you are just generally much more well suited for the more individually focused gaming communities right now, I'm sure you'll do great out in the world of Counter Strike or Starcraft or what have you. Our sessions are full of old farts (myself included) and so our style of play is going to reflect that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

You are also required to worship our benevolent cult leader, Cooked "Smorgasbork" Auto, and if you do well enough you might receive the sought-after Golden Sigh

What kind of heresy is this? It's Soapy "My Bones!" Tarantula that's the cult leader here, not me. Stop trying to muddle things up you frog. :arghfist::mad:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

edit-- by the way, has anyone else noticed how cool the new server browser is? it works lightyears better for me than the in-game one.
Presumably it was to just build this from scratch than to try and 'fix' the existing in-game one, which is probably staying in only because it didn't force a compatibility difference like Eden does.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Netkev posted:

Saying that one of your fellow players "sperged out" is one of the major reasons this happened in the first place, your mannerisms and general attitude towards other people in sessions are to borrow an overused phrase "immature" (seeing the rules as too strictly authoritative, excessive boasting, caring about your individual score/effectiveness, getting defensive when the hosts remind you to follow the rules (I wasn't looking for an apology or an excuse, I just wanted to remind you because I was on CC and the commander wasn't getting any responses (gently caress me this sentence sucks))).

Honestly you are just generally much more well suited for the more individually focused gaming communities right now, I'm sure you'll do great out in the world of Counter Strike or Starcraft or what have you. Our sessions are full of old farts (myself included) and so our style of play is going to reflect that.

That is absolutely fine and I can respect your opinion here 100% even though I very much disagree with it. Just do me one thing: the next time someone comes to you angry and complaining about someone else... actually give yourself a chance to hear what the other side has to say instead of shutting them up and banning them based solely on the word of an emotional wreck whose leadership skills consist primarily of screaming about how he is an admin when his orders are carried out in a way different than what he expected.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
LSD, Netkev, Strumpie...Might I suggest that there are better places to resolve your dramas than this thread? Not like anybody has to listen to me or anything, but it's a little distracting.

On that note: Yeah, the VR training course for the Claymore mine is hosed up IMHO, which is a shame because I wanted to get past it to look at AP and AT mines and the use (or defusal) thereof. :( Unless someone knows how to not kill friendlies in that thing? I'm still open to the possibility the error is with me, but I've tried everything I can think of. With mods, without mods, nothing seems to work.

(I'm doing all the VR training stuff before I start playing the campaign because I'm just :spergin: like that, and all I have left is this and the helicopter stuff.)

Spacewolf fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 24, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sauer posted:

They are a cool group to play with.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Spacewolf posted:

LSD, Netkev, Strumpie...Might I suggest that there are better places to resolve your dramas than this thread? Not like anybody has to listen to me or anything, but it's a little distracting.

On that note: Yeah, the VR training course for the Claymore mine is hosed up IMHO, which is a shame because I wanted to get past it to look at AP and AT mines and the use (or defusal) thereof. :( Unless someone knows how to not kill friendlies in that thing? I'm still open to the possibility the error is with me, but I've tried everything I can think of. With mods, without mods, nothing seems to work.

(I'm doing all the VR training stuff before I start playing the campaign because I'm just :spergin: like that, and all I have left is this and the helicopter stuff.)

It is not you, the claymore tutorial is really bad. If you haven't already, try backing up further from the ai and aiming the cone between the friendly idiots. Also the campaign is bad.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Spacewolf posted:

Minus the "bad", AirborneNinja is correct in specifying between two BLUFOR soldiers (i.e. in front of your barricade when Placeables #1: Directional Charges starts and either of those immediately adjacent) presumably because there's a however-slight omnidirectional blast radius not indicated by the arc.

Netkev
Dec 7, 2014

Spacewolf posted:

Yeah my bad, and yes as far as I can tell the explosives, and especially the directional explosives, are completely undercooked and was presumably just put in there by BI by accident.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm actually happy to read people's disagreements here - it's not like the thread sees a lot of movement and I get to see what other people's games are like. I only ever play this with a group of friends on a private server and it's far from milsim sperg for us.
So long as it doesn't just become insulting each other and the posts actually have content I don't mind.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Most Arma communities I've been around get pretty toxic if you don't play by their rules. I also feel like it's always a matter of time before that toxicity bubbles over and splinters the group.

There's always one really obnoxious guy that everyone else finds funny, kind of like the village idiot, who gets a hall pass. He's the guy who crashed the chopper and everyone laughs, then you do it and you're instantly chewed out by some manchild.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty much every group for anything ever. It isn't limited to just Arma. The severity of it changes from group to group but for most people you aren't going to be shitcanned for what is basically the "inside joke" or "running gag" of the group. Most of the time if you've made a group actually tell you to go away then you've done a lot more than "just made some sperg mad." If that happens enough, at some point you probably should go "hold on, maybe I'm the one being a dick?"

Of course there are definitely groups that can be pretty hostile to outsiders (UO for example) but for the vast majority of any group in anything do you expect people to be welcomed after ignoring a group's rules and ways?

edit: phone posting errors.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 25, 2016

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

It's me, I am the arsehole in the pawnee.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Bohemia's doing a big sale again, this time for Easter and BI Store-only, which means 50% off of Arma 3 and the existing DLCs, 20% off of Apex or the Apex Edition (but no discount on the physical Special Edition), 15% off of DayZ, 30% off of Take On Mars, and 80% off of almost everything else in their games catalog.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I hope Apex drops in early June. Our second kid is due end of the month.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
For the first time, I checked out the Challenges scenarios in the Play->Scenario section of the main menu. The Go-Karts course stuff is pretty fun. I checked the Workshop hoping to find some cool courses people have made but I didn't find anything.

I think that with the 3DEN editor it should be really easy to do that stuff now. Maybe I could try making something with VR blocks or whatever. I never did figure out how those Checkpoint/Lap modules worked.

Netkev
Dec 7, 2014

For the first time, I checked out the Challenges scenarios in the Play->Scenario section of the main menu. The Go-Karts course stuff is pretty fun. I checked the Workshop hoping to find some cool courses people have made but I didn't find anything.

I think that with the 3DEN editor it should be really easy to do that stuff now. Maybe I could try making something with VR blocks or whatever. I never did figure out how those Checkpoint/Lap modules worked.

Yeah the 3DEN editor has definitely made setting up races a hundred times easier, it was unsurprisingly difficult to set up a good race course of any kind with an overhead 2D view of the landscape. As per the modules most the races I've seen just run on a trigger at the end and runs on the expectation that people won't just drive six feet backwards and snag first place by hitting the goalpost.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You can prevent that with "checkpoint" triggers they need to hit along the course. Could also allow you to present lap timings at each checkpoint.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
The Race modules don't have any documentation that I can find and I don't see much point reinventing the wheel because anything I'd make won't be as pretty as the vanilla GUI stuff and functionality.

... but on the bright side, I made this in about 20 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCFmfQ7GRI

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Has anybody used shadow play with Arma? I can't get it to work. Or it's not saving where I set it to save.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Make sure its save directory and temp directory actually exist. That's been the cause of all problems I've had with it.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've found that using things like Rivatuner to cap the framerate messes with Shadowplay's hookin process. The only other thing I've noticed is that sometimes Shadowplay will ignore my settings and record in super lovely 360p for a clip or two.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Potentially useful tip for anyone who's having problems with the Arma 3 Launcher:

BIS_Wizard posted:

Press and hold Ctrl+Shift while clicking on the Play button in the Steam / when the Launcher is starting. This will start the Launcher in the safe mode and disable a hardware acceleration. If Launcher starts, you can disable hardware acceleration for the Launcher permanently in the options. Alternatively you can add -safemode parameter (to force the safe mode) or -nohwa parameter (to disable Launcher's hardware acceleration).

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

New previously unannounced ArmA3 product is up for pre-order.

quote:

Designed for those who love risk-taking, this brand new perfume appeals to your most basic instincts with the captivating scent of battle.

Pre-odor “Arma” Eau De Combat today exclusively on the Bohemia Store (while supplies lasts)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7q2XsGIgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
:siren: AFTER FIFTEEN YEARS IT'S HERE :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0KlD02sAWw&hd=1
Also, dev branch has an Eden scaling widget and updated script commands so that you can limit the height of trigger areas.