Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bob's look was diabolically lovely and I kinda preferred thorgy who I felt worked with her team instead of trampled over them, but Bob's performance elevated her otherwise pretty weak group so its a cool call overall from Ru.

I wonder how much of it was improvised? Because "this WHITE rear end party" cracked me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I loved that Robbie turned that Lipsync OUT. ROBBIE TURNTER :woop:

Anyone notice that this episode is very Rupaulogize? :D

Sad to see my leave so soon. That look was worse than a last minute Party City save. Bye, Sintheeuh :cry:

Can I get an AMEN for Bob being such a WINNER this episode? I was totes rooting for Thorgy, but then Bob with that look under the coat :vince: Thorgy's triple threat might win this season!

Betty needs to stop being such an rear end in a top hat. Talking during the video was so loving rude.

Chi Chi needs to step it up, and get back to winning, or else she's gonna go home real soon.

I love that Kim chi wasn't fazed at ALL by Betty's dickery. I love that Kim is such a wonderful friend, and you can see that right here:

:swoon: I want Kim Chi to stomp Betty out of this competition.

I want Naomi to go home so bad, Naysha can stay if she gives it her all. Derrick also needs go home, unless he can unleash the fury of what he puts into being Britney, while not being Britney.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Shamelessly borrowed from Out.com because :effort:

"Bloop!"

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 23, 2016

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am loving this season so far. I'm surprised at how many of the queens I'm rooting for this season. Right now the only one I don't like is Betty. She's got the talent but is such an rear end in a top hat that it's hard to root for her.

Derrick was weak this week and I'm sad to see Cynthia go. That said, I was beaming when Derrick called Betty out on her lovely attitude during the video in untucked.

Speaking of untucked, I'm really digging the format this time. Not sure why though. Maybe it just works better with the current cast?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Betty trying her hardest to end the season without any fans. She's a super talented rear end in a top hat. Too bad there are super talented queens that are also sweethearts. *cough*Kim*cough*

But beside the point, how loving dare she insult Trixie?

We finally got to see what kind of queen Derrick is. She can be incredibly defensive, but she will rush to defend any other queen from undue criticism. It's clear she's just passionate about drag in general and any queen's right to express themselves how they want. I like her. A lot of people thought she'd be a villain this season, but I don't think she's done anything shady at all so far. I think she's gotten way more flack than has been warranted.

As a final thought: I hope CLF had enough screentime to be a Miss Congeniality frontrunner.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

"no, her makeup is perfect"

annnnnd I'm choking up :shobon:

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

We finally got to see what kind of queen Derrick is. She can be incredibly defensive, but she will rush to defend any other queen from undue criticism. It's clear she's just passionate about drag in general and any queen's right to express themselves how they want. I like her. A lot of people thought she'd be a villain this season, but I don't think she's done anything shady at all so far. I think she's gotten way more flack than has been warranted.

This is actually what warmed me up to Derrick a bit more and she seems like a total sweetheart. Honestly, all I thought we'd get from her is a look but I'm really loving the bits of personality that we're seeing from her. I also have to wonder if that's why Acid Betty is coming off as such a curmudgeon because the remainder of the cast is just really likeable and full of personality.

Kim Chi and Trixie forever!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I had no idea Greta Garbo was in Spice World.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

I had no idea Greta Garbo was in Spice World.

Why wouldn't she be? She was one of the Spice Girls.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

gandlethorpe posted:

Why wouldn't she be? She was one of the Spice Girls.

Old Spice

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pinwiz11 posted:

A friend just sent this to me, I assume it was from Tumblr or Reddit.

lmao. that is excellent

Robbie won that LSFYL so hard.

e: Okay I watched Untucked and I really appreciated Derrick calling out Betty for her lovely comments even if I don't care about Derrick very much

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 24, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I have been sick in bed since Monday with the flu, but I just watched the last episode tonight. I had been reading y'alls comments since Monday. Thankfully, my flu-addled brain convinced me that Robbie was going home. It was getting all pissed off since he was killing that LSFYL.

CLF never really grew in me, so I was competently fine with the elimination.

I'm not sure what to expect from Derrick, as far as him showing himself on the runway. He said in the first episode that he's only ever done Britney, so I doubt he knows anything else.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Not Today Satan posted:

I also have to wonder if that's why Acid Betty is coming off as such a curmudgeon because the remainder of the cast is just really likeable and full of personality.

Well, no. It's because Betty is an unrepentant narcissist and any redeeming qualities she may have were edited out.
If you're really thirsty for sympathy though, you can see her pick the glass off the floor in Bitch Perfect after CLF kicked her shoe into the lights.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Some of the bonus clips are actually really funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwFkHIZVK4

Derrick shows more personality in this than the edit has shown on the actual show so far. Also, Robbie thinking that her voice isn't nasal. Bless her.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I really wasn't feeling Ira Glass Robbie Turner in the beginning, but I'm really coming around...

We just need to work on the diarrhea of excuses before the judges. 5 Gs please.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

CHiRAL posted:

Well, no. It's because Betty is an unrepentant narcissist and any redeeming qualities she may have were edited out.
If you're really thirsty for sympathy though, you can see her pick the glass off the floor in Bitch Perfect after CLF kicked her shoe into the lights.

I didn't even notice that. I do have to say her joke on Untucked about taking Bob's calls at the moment was pretty funny. Also looks like she's trying to redeem herself?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDUlV2tjhO1/?taken-by=acidbetty&hl=en

Could all be a ploy though and those edits in this video are just the few times she talks about herself instead of everyone else.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Trixie is the first to say people love or hate her look. I don't so much mind that Acid was in the later group, but once you've stated you don't like it and no one says anything shut the gently caress up.

I will agree with someone who said part of the reason we get so little workroom time is it kinda weakens the narrative the editors are trying to put together. Not that Acid isn't a oval office a lot, but there are times when she isn't and we've only seen a few of those.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
Why does Robbie Turner paint her eyebrows to look like she's made at everything all the time

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Because she is?

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008
So I dunno but I thought CLF's "I. Am. A. Strong. Gay. WOMAN!!!!!!!" was /amazing/.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Derrick Barry looked like Britney Spears in an afro wig in that challenge. Dunno if it's just his face or years of painting that Britney contouring but yeah.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Was anyone else getting Jerri Blank from Cynthia in this episode?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Apparently Dax had a bunch of cosplay looks but WoW won't air anything copyrighted :sigh:

This policy is also responsible for more than a few Snatch Game switch-ups as well, in case anyone is wondering why some queens who should really have known better picked Snatch Game characters who seemed like horrible last-minute unfunny decisions. (Although presumably some really did just make last-minute and/or unfunny decisions for other reasons.)

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
preview for next week is up and it looks like a drama bomb I'm excited

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bob x Purse #pursefirst :swoon:

I love that Bob actually has plenty of competition, I was worried this was going to be a No-Duh crowning like Season 6, which is fun but not actually that entertaining.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Kim Chi really needs to work on her confidence. Her drag is sublime but drat if she isn't stiff and awkward as all hell. She even managed to Yeti Walk on roller skates!! I have a feeling she won't last to the end but is a shoe-in for Fan Favorite.

Also it's kinda funny that the first bit of personality DaxExclamationpoint showed was in her five second exit interview :rolleye:

e: and yeah Michelle definitely lost a good deal of weight. good for her i guess but she wasn't bad looking before!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Kim Chi really needs to work on her confidence.

I think of it more as just playing the game. Her vulnerabilities offer something she can "work on", which Ru adores. This comes off as super-duper cynical but it's a classic Drag Race "arc". To quote the AV Club:

quote:

I don’t know how aware Kim is of how well she’s playing the Drag Race game, but she absolutely kills it in this episode despite being one of the bottom queens. After surprising the group with her backstory, she shocks them further by revealing she’s still a virgin, which brings her lots of attention from the cameras, but also the rest of the queens, who rally behind her to show support and affection. Kim is also the only queen to take advantage of the new Shade Tree confessional room (at least in any sort of meaningful way that the show’s editors choose to include in the episode), and she shows a level of vulnerability in that scene that highlights the value of a confession room. Having a place for the queens to express their thoughts in the moment allows for more honest emotion than the talking heads that are filmed afterward, and Kim Chi uses the Shade Tree to bring even more depth to her story. She’s getting a lot of attention, and if Kim can continue to work the cameras while nailing the runway challenges (she looks incredible this week in her cherry blossom nymph drag), she may be able to avoid lip synching for her life, which would surely be her undoing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

^ totally agree

Millie posted:

I really wasn't feeling Ira Glass Robbie Turner Young David Byrne in the beginning, but I'm really coming around...

ftfy

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I like Robbie, but she's lucky she wasn't the only one who showed up to season 8 not knowing how to construct a garment.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

I like Robbie, but she's lucky she wasn't the only one who showed up to season 8 not knowing how to construct a garment.

It's like the queens who show up that don't have a good impression ready for Snatch Game. How long has the show been going on that you're still showing up unprepared for it.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Nihonniboku posted:

It's like the queens who show up that don't have a good impression ready for Snatch Game. How long has the show been going on that you're still showing up unprepared for it.

Right?

The three things you should have prepared when you go into Drag Race: A Snatch Game character(s), sewing ability of at least a modest degree, and dance abilities. I'd even argue taking an acting class and some voice lessons. Oh, and some loving runway outfits that are damned good.

Does anyone know how much warning the contestants have before leaving for the show?

It reminds me of how on The Amazing Race, there always seems to be at least one team where no one can drive a stick shift car. loving hell, you KNOW you're going to have to do it, so PLAN AHEAD.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

It's been a Drag Race interview question for a while now, actually. You can't get on the show without thinking about it pretty extensively.

I don't think queens are unprepared for Snatch Game. I do think queens either A) don't know they're not actually that good in comparison to the other queens or B) get caught off their guard in some way (another queen ends up doing their character, production tells them "whoops forgot to tell you that character's off-limits" etc.

Both of which still ultimately mean "unprepared" in the end, of course, but the fact that you're required to submit a Snatch Game character with your audition interview makes things a little more complicated than the Not Knowing How to Sew/Dance/Act thing. Which is INEXCUSABLLLLLE :argh:

Just realized...Cynthia won't be there to play Snatch Game :qq:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Just realized...Cynthia won't be there to play Snatch Game :qq:

:gonk: Too true.

Let's also assume that some people go into Snatch Game with a bad idea, even if it is something that passed the interview process. Jaidynn Diore Fierce as Raven Simone, for example.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Pinwiz11 posted:

:gonk: Too true.

Let's also assume that some people go into Snatch Game with a bad idea, even if it is something that passed the interview process. Jaidynn Diore Fierce as Raven Simone, for example.

Kenya Michaels

Mariah

Milan

Lineysha Sparx

Miss Fame

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think a lot of the queens confuse "I really love this person" with "I can do a fantastic impression of this person".

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
The copyright thing is real, I've heard of this before. Why do you think DeLa's character was named after the actress instead? Maggie Smith might be old but she's not THAT old.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

criscodisco posted:

I think a lot of the queens confuse "I really love this person" with "I can do a fantastic impression of this person".

Or, they can do a fantastic impression, but can they be funny. Some people are difficult to make funny. I saw earlier someone crossing their fingers that Bob would do Michelle Obama. Which, I'm sure he could do a fine impression, but how do you make Michelle Obama funny?

As fierce as Michelle is, in the 8 years that she's been in the public eye, I can't think of anyone who has done a funny impression of her, and I think it's unlikely that a drag queen would be the first one to pull that one off.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
A huge part of me is praying that Derrick Barry says that he'll do Willam instead of Britney. It'd be a great choice and he has the chin.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I know she can't do it for snatch game but Bob is a dead ringer for Andre Brougher. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Or, they can do a fantastic impression, but can they be funny. Some people are difficult to make funny. I saw earlier someone crossing their fingers that Bob would do Michelle Obama. Which, I'm sure he could do a fine impression, but how do you make Michelle Obama funny?

As fierce as Michelle is, in the 8 years that she's been in the public eye, I can't think of anyone who has done a funny impression of her, and I think it's unlikely that a drag queen would be the first one to pull that one off.

I personally am praying for Bob as either Viola Davis or Uzo Aduba as Annalise Keating and Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren, respectively. She's done both in parody videos and lip syncs and she's got the body language down to a t.

• Locked thread