Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

G0RF posted:

Yeah-- Derek, he's right.

The forums are hidden from outsiders unless you're a registered member. To the profane it looks like 4 boards only... Fastest way to get to see them is to be vouched for by an existing member.

You need platinum access to access the Chaos Engine forums

WHO WILL VOUCH FOR DEREK SMART

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

there has to be at least 1 game dev in this thread who can get derek in

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Derek's probably furiously typing in the registration form right now

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Deki posted:

I fuckin' loved darkfall (earlier on while the poopsockers were too busy macroing to do anything), but the community was the worst part of it.

What was that thing everyone was doing to build up one of their stats at one point early on? They were like, climbing on top of each other. Forget what they called it, but it was ridiculous looking.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Happy Sisyphus posted:

there has to be at least 1 game dev in this thread who can get derek in

Maybe someone that works for him is a member? I doubt he would have to rely on this thread to get into a devs private forum lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pratt2112 posted:

What was that thing everyone was doing to build up one of their stats at one point early on? They were like, climbing on top of each other. Forget what they called it, but it was ridiculous looking.

I remember that, it was literally the same thing as grinding up hit on that invincible mob in WoW but noooooo I was carebear loving scum for pointing that out

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
KU MI TE.... KU MI TE...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

laughing my loving rear end off that the ONE person posting in this thread that can assuredly gain access to Chaos Engine's private industry forum denies it exists like a creationist denies evolution

Derek, are you absolutely sure that they aren't discussing Star Citizen on that forum? aaaaabsollluuuuuutely surrrrrre?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Turd Burglar posted:

WHO WILL VOUCH FOR DEREK SMART
If they don't let Derek in, they don't deserve the name Chaos Engine.

Derek is *the* chaos engine.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Turd Burglar posted:

Maybe someone that works for him is a member? I doubt he would have to rely on this thread to get into a devs private forum lol

you cant refer your employer thats a conflict of interest

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I played mortal online

:negative:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Omi-Polari posted:

Yes, there is a forum called Chaos Engine that is for game devs only. They are (presumably) shittalking and leaking info about Star Citizen and it's totally hidden from the public. And Derek is not aware of this.

DEREK YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

Ben Lesnick = developer

Derek Smart = not developer

Makes you think....

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Justin Tyme posted:

laughing my loving rear end off that the ONE person posting in this thread that can assuredly gain access to Chaos Engine's private industry forum denies it exists like a creationist denies evolution

Derek, are you absolutely sure that they aren't discussing Star Citizen on that forum? aaaaabsollluuuuuutely surrrrrre?

I dunno man he seemed pretty sure :lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

I played mortal online

I played Tabula Rasa :shepface:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Eonwe posted:

I played mortal online

:same:

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

quote:

We don’t allow management so you may speak openly without the fear of reprisal

I'm pretty sure Internet Warlord is classified as a "management" position...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

I played Tabula Rasa :shepface:

gently caress same

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Decrepus posted:

How do you feel about the response to your DS post by the DS-obsessed being, "nuh uh!"

Entirely expected lol.

Those forums are way too predictable. Probably why I don't post there much anymore, at least in part.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm saying tree of Savior next week

Which is kind of sort of ragnarok online 2

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pratt2112 posted:

Entirely expected lol.

Those forums are entirely too predictable. Probably why I don't post there much anymore, at least in part.

I'm glad of you joining

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Looks like Illfonic, failed Star Marine developer, has failed again.

https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/1296/revival-s-future-an-important-announcement/p1

quote:

Revival's Future - An Important Announcement

It’s rare that you’re asked to preside over a memorial. Rarer still for that to come as a surprise, but none the less, here I am. For the past 71 weeks, we’ve been working in public to bring Revival to life, but as many of you know, this is just one period in a much longer saga stretching back decades. Revival isn’t just a new sandbox online game, it’s the result of career-long considerations about the nature of online worlds, and how we interact with them. It’s our desire to fulfill the original promise of this style of play made manifest and unfortunately, it’s also coming to an end, at least in this form.

I regret that there isn’t a strong enough word to express my grief at that statement, but it’s true. Starting in the very new future, you will find that homes are no longer for sale through the Dunwich and Innsmouth section of our website and future patches to the client are, at least as of now, highly unlikely. I will never give up on Revival, and I know I’m not alone, but we just don’t have the resources at our disposal that we need, and the sacrifices necessary to acquire them don’t make much sense given our goal, here.

So, what went wrong? I suppose the mistake, if one is to be called out, came in the thought that we could soldier through on what we have available. It goes something like this: When we first set out to build Revival, we had access to expertise and resources that aren’t available today. Making up for their loss, be it as simple as lacking sufficient animators or as complicated as losing access to certain networking expertise, has been a costly affair, far more costly than we can honestly afford to bear. So, what does that mean? Is Revival completely dead?

Look, we’ve waited nearly 20 years to make Revival, and maybe we can wait a little longer, so no, it’s not completely dead. It’ll be a cold day in Animae’s realm before I give up on Revival and most of us at IllFonic feel the same way, but however we determine to move forward with it, none of us feel comfortable playing some “business as usual” game while we work it out. We’re going to have to figure some new way to make Revival happen, but we’re not going to lie to you while we do and that’s what this is about. So, is Revival dead? I really don’t know, but whatever happens, it won’t be moving ahead the way we’d planned its current form at IllFonic. We have some ideas on how we can move forward, but they aren’t a true plan yet and they aren’t a guarantee.

So, what happens next?

We want to say thank you to everyone that had the faith to join us in stage one. I’ve been in this industry longer than MMO communities have existed. I was working community the day Battle.net launched and I’ve been a part of four other MMOs as a developer over the decades since. Without question, Revival’s community is the best I’ve ever experienced. Your input has always been useful and more than that, you’ve made the forums and the founders chat feel like home to me. I consider you my friends, and I know I’m not alone in that. I don’t want that to end and so, at least for now, we’re going to keep everything open.

Founders, you’ll still have Discord and you’ll still find us there; forum goers, the Rule of Six still applies. I hope that we can figure out some way to keep that sense of a home alive despite this announcement, especially as we strive to find a new path forward.

But look, we realize “please stick around!” isn’t much of a thank you and so there are a few other things we want to do to express our gratitude and the kinship we feel with each and every one of you. If you’re a founder, here’re a few things that are going to happen in the very near future:

- First, to be clear: You can still access everything you’ve got access to today. Your renovation kits, your properties; all of it. We have no plans to turn them off or shut down access in the foreseeable future.
- We’re also going to unlock visitation access to all of the properties you don’t currently have access to, including the estates. You won’t “own” them, but you will be able to see every home that you couldn’t before. I know it’s not much, but you made a lot of work possible and you should at least be able to see it, right?
- Next, you will receive a steam key for Nexuiz, one of IllFonic’s first games and the first game Ombwah and I ever collaborated with IllFonic to make.
- Finally, you’ll also receive a steam key for Moving Hazard, one of the new projects currently under development here, and presently in Early Access in steam.

It might turn out that we can do things like this in the future too. We can’t predict what will happen, but we’ll never forget that you supported us and whenever we can, we’ll do what we can to return the favor.

As for Revival, what happens next for its MEOW incarnation is a bit up in the air. Ombwah and I, I think, are just going to keep working on it, so it’s ready. Who knows, maybe we can work together to bring you the world of Theleston in some other form.

Thanks again; it’s been a humbling and awe inspiring experience to have so many of you building this dream with us.

I remain,
Adam “Snipehunter” Maxwell
King of the Sandbox
Revival, Skyward* Corp.

RIP lovecraftian poop game. Now I'll never get a $400 house.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

i played anarchy online for a bit and this experienced dude like explained everything to me and bought me a bunch of poo poo to help me play with him, this took like 3 hours and at the end i was like yea see you tomorrow for some questing but i never logged in again

e; dedicating this post to the games that didn't make it

o7

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 25, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I would have loved to be present when CIG found out that Oldman wanted nothing more to do with the project because of Parp photoshops. :yarg:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

gently caress same

Remember that dude going to space and while he was there the game company went 'lol nope' and shitcanned the whole thing?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Haskell9 posted:

This actually makes 8Ace ten times more mysterious. Is there an industry-only secret forum that Derek the notorious indie dev knows nothing about?

No.

Plus we're talking about completely different things now I think.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Derek use your battlecruiser3000 email to get access to the secret forum and tell us all about the funny posting, I imagine it's like the final form version of our thread only everyone is EightAce.

(the secret forum being the vetted non-public industry-only section of Chaos Engine)

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Eonwe posted:

I'm glad of you joining

Thanks!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

Looks like Illfonic, failed Star Marine developer, has failed again.

https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/1296/revival-s-future-an-important-announcement/p1

RIP lovecraftian poop game. Now I'll never get a $400 house.

Rip the Lovecraft mmo where you can rape people for buffs

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

peter gabriel posted:

Remember that dude going to space and while he was there the game company went 'lol nope' and shitcanned the whole thing?

That's Lord British to you, sir! :p

I kinda liked the original concept for Tabula Rasa - the sort of Elves in Space theme. Looked cool.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Lmao, yea...oh Lord British you crazy rear end in a top hat

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Pratt2112 posted:

Entirely expected lol.

Those forums are way too predictable. Probably why I don't post there much anymore, at least in part.

Well, I hope you enjoy your time here. we've got all sorta topics to discuss. I've heard rumor to the effect that people post in other threads here about games that exist. But I wouldn't know about that because I try to stay caught up with this thread, and uggggg.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

there's a private forum though, and they have a vetting process for everyone who gets access to it. Its real Derek.

It's NOT the "Chaos Engine" previously linked in this forum. That's all I'm talking about here.

I know the forum they're talking about. Again, that's NOT it.

Remember that time when some journo found a secret discussions list where other journos were colluding on how to bury, and/or not cover some games, industry people? Then it leaked?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme posted:

Derek use your battlecruiser3000 email to get access to the secret forum and tell us all about the funny posting, I imagine it's like the final form version of our thread only everyone is EightAce.

(the secret forum being the vetted non-public industry-only section of Chaos Engine)
:iiam:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not going to lie if Lord British started a kickstarter for UO 2 tomorrow I'd pledge, knowing what I know about kickstarters even

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Derek i like you honestly i do but you're super bad about being wrong.

OK fine. I'll just stand down then.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

D_Smart posted:

It's NOT the "Chaos Engine" previously linked in this forum. That's all I'm talking about here.

I know the forum they're talking about. Again, that's NOT it.

Remember that time when some journo found a secret discussions list where other journos were colluding on how to bury, and/or not cover some games, industry people? Then it leaked?

Can you at least, like, register on Chaos Engine, and peek at their SC thread, because you're the only person in this thread that can easily get access

Derek-sama plz

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Happy Sisyphus posted:

i played anarchy online for a bit and this experienced dude like explained everything to me and bought me a bunch of poo poo to help me play with him, this took like 3 hours and at the end i was like yea see you tomorrow for some questing but i never logged in again

I did this in Star Wars Galaxies, I never played it in its prime but logged in when it was in its death throes, and it was deserted apart from the loyal fanatic group who were all dressed like Dart Vader with fancy weapons and all the gear you could possibly get.
They embraced me like a long lost son because I was probably the first new person they'd seen in 5 years, they all role played and had pet names for each other and were on voice chat, dancing and showing off.
I uninstalled it that night and never looked back

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

D_Smart posted:

OK fine. I'll just stand down then.

Good job. :)

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, I hope you enjoy your time here. we've got all sorta topics to discuss. I've heard rumor to the effect that people post in other threads here about games that exist. But I wouldn't know about that because I try to stay caught up with this thread, and uggggg.

I'm already feeling the pressure. I got up to get something to eat, and could feel the world racing on without me.

Worst moment of the last 5 minutes of my life.

I might never sleep again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pratt2112 posted:

That's Lord British to you, sir! :p

I kinda liked the original concept for Tabula Rasa - the sort of Elves in Space theme. Looked cool.

All I know is one night I was shooting aliens and the next night 'Server Not Available'

I only found out the story years later, I think at the time I just moved on

• Locked thread