Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hearing GI is out for the game against the doggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

He really did snap his brain

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

quote:

The four Sydney clubs key to unlocking a $1.6 billion investment in stadiums are set to hold the NRL to ransom with a list of demands they want met before committing to leaving their suburban grounds.

The NRL finds itself in a precarious position trying to convince eight Sydney-based clubs to commit to 65 games at the network of major venues before the NSW government's April 1 deadline.

The clubs are well aware of the power they now hold and are seeking financial incentives to move matches to the major venues, as well as other guarantees surrounding membership and transportation.

The Dragons, Tigers, Sea Eagles and Sharks are reluctant to walk away from their suburban home grounds and have begun negotiating a deal with the NRL that could see them shift multiple games to either Parramatta, Olympic Park or Moore Park.

The NRL has earmarked the Sydney Roosters, Parramatta, South Sydney and Canterbury for a combined 42 games at the network of major venues, but ARLC chairman John Grant is heading up the operation to convince the remaining clubs to commit to another 23.

Advertisement

Grant has been left to deal with the issue following the departure of former NRL boss Dave Smith. Smith lobbied the NSW government for a new 55,000-seat stadium at Moore Park without consulting the clubs and gaining a commitment to use the venue.

Since Smith's departure, Grant has opened discussions with the clubs and has found the key stakeholders of the game don't want a new stadium at Moore Park and would prefer ANZ Stadium receive the majority of the billion-dollar funding while Allianz Stadium is refurbished.

Smith's approach has now left Grant in a vulnerable position as he tries to please the clubs and gain a commitment to new venues before the NSW government takes the $1.6 billion off the table on April 1.

The NRL is hopeful the Dragons and Tigers will each commit to playing eight games out of the major venues, while Manly and Cronulla will play three to four.

A major stumbling block for the Dragons is the potential buy-out of the club by WIN Television, who are also the naming rights sponsor of the club's Wollongong home ground.

It's understood if the Dragons, who are in debt to the NRL, alienate the south coast could it could jeopardise negotiations with WIN given their strong footprint in the region.

The Wests Tigers are understood to be seeking financial support for a centre of excellence as well as a financial carrot before they consider riling their fans in the inner west and Campbelltown by further reducing their suburban presence.

The Sea Eagles are privately hopeful they will gain funding to upgrade Brookvale Oval, and would require a significant investment in transport from the northern beaches to the CBD if they were to agree to take a minimum of three games across the bridge.

However Manly's primary focus is to ensure the longevity of Brookvale Oval and are committed to playing the vast majority of their games at their traditional home.

The Sharks are in a different position because they own their home ground and remain committed to the Sutherland shire.

The decision to exempt Penrith from the commitment group hasn't gone down well with rival clubs, who don't agree they should be left alone given the government has earmarked a stadium in greater western Sydney in the future.

The NRL held urgent individual meetings with each club this week, but there is a growing fear the infighting and conflicting interests could cost the game "a once in a century" investment, with the Mike Baird government threatening to take the deal off the table if the NRL fails to commit to the quota of matches.

See, I'm torn by this story. I hate the idea of clubs leaving their suburban grounds, but the cash would be incredible for them (except the Tigers, who would probably burn it in a big fire considering their financial acumen). What does everyone else think about the idea of leaving grounds like Brookvale, Leichhardt and the like? Personally I hate the soulless big stadiums for normal games, and would happily be on the hill at Leichhardt with 15000 then in the mostly empty crowd at ANZ with 30k. Obviously the services can be better at the big stadia, but I prefer the charm of the smaller ones. Opinions?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Should spend the money on transportation for sydney. the suburban grounds are important in keeping the teams in the community, you're going to have silent loving anz for matchdays which is great for the atmosphere

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BCR posted:

Should spend the money on transportation for sydney. the suburban grounds are important in keeping the teams in the community, you're going to have silent loving anz for matchdays which is great for the atmosphere

But we'll all have free wifi so we can be watching the replay on our phone and ignoring what's happening on the field, this sounds awesome :v:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

See, I'm torn by this story. I hate the idea of clubs leaving their suburban grounds, but the cash would be incredible for them (except the Tigers, who would probably burn it in a big fire considering their financial acumen). What does everyone else think about the idea of leaving grounds like Brookvale, Leichhardt and the like? Personally I hate the soulless big stadiums for normal games, and would happily be on the hill at Leichhardt with 15000 then in the mostly empty crowd at ANZ with 30k. Obviously the services can be better at the big stadia, but I prefer the charm of the smaller ones. Opinions?

I like small stadiums the best too, but bigger stadiums like Lang Park can have great atmosphere with only ~30k. I think it's mostly the design of the stadium and the max capacity, since ANZ does look super grim when it's even pretty full and the seats themselves generally seem quite a way back from the field, which makes a noticeable difference. If the new stadium/s are designed from the ground up to be mid range rectangular stadiums explicitly for rugby league then I think they could be really good

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I agree; having gone to a couple of events at Suncorp now as well as lots at CBus those sorts of stadia are great for watching the game and having a good atmosphere. My biggest gripe with the current plan is going the way of the AFL and having a large number of teams having the same home stadium. I love each team having an identifiable home, rather than just ANZ with different banners spelling out their name on the top banks of empty seats. If every team could have a modern 20-30k stadium of their own I'd love it (although I'd sorely miss the hills at the suburban grounds).

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Warriors re-signed with Mt Smart stadium for quite a few years with an eye to hopefully a new purpose built rugby stadium in 10 or so years time. Auckland council were trying to make them move to North Harbour stadium in the posh part of Auckland where nobody likes league or goes to sport (meaning a 1 hour+ trek each way for the core fanbase) so that speedway could move to Mt Smart and cricket to the existing speedway ground but Doyle told them to get hosed.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Obviously I'm pretty ignorant but do the Warriors play all of their home games in Auckland? Did the rebranding from Auckland to NZ Warriors have much of an impact on membership/fanbase?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
There's a bit of charm to having suburban stadiums, but at some point you have to ask if the NRL is supposed to be a suburban Sydney competition or something bigger. I also take issue with Manly fans defending Brookvale. I went to a game there once, the place is a shithole and I've seen high schools with better facilities.

Smorgasbord posted:

Warriors re-signed with Mt Smart stadium for quite a few years with an eye to hopefully a new purpose built rugby stadium in 10 or so years time. Auckland council were trying to make them move to North Harbour stadium in the posh part of Auckland where nobody likes league or goes to sport (meaning a 1 hour+ trek each way for the core fanbase) so that speedway could move to Mt Smart and cricket to the existing speedway ground but Doyle told them to get hosed.

Auckland's stadium situation is completely hosed up. Eden Park is in the middle of suburbia and is too big for rugby/league and too small for cricket, and I still don't know why the council is carrying some of the debt on Eden Park for the 2011 Rugby World Cup renovations when it's a privately owned stadium. North Harbour Stadium is (relatively speaking) in the middle of nowhere and has major issues with traffic when the crowd is above 5,000 people. Mt Smart is in the middle of an industrial part of town, but at least parking and access is easy and the neighbours are never going to complain. Good luck trying to find somewhere for a drink after the game though.

Airstream Driver posted:

Obviously I'm pretty ignorant but do the Warriors play all of their home games in Auckland? Did the rebranding from Auckland to NZ Warriors have much of an impact on membership/fanbase?

We currently play 11 games in Auckland and one in Wellington. We have previously experimented with some of our Auckland games being played at Eden Park (traditionally a union stronghold), but the response from the fans was overwhelmingly negative and the club made it clear to the council that it wanted Mt Smart to be home.

I was never in favour of the rebranding- to me it's liking telling the Broncos that they are to be called the Queensland Broncos. It probably does help in terms of expanding the fanbase, but as long as there's one NRL team in the country we're always going to get the majority of fans here. The branding will have to change if Wellington or Christchurch gets a team.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

There's a bit of charm to having suburban stadiums, but at some point you have to ask if the NRL is supposed to be a suburban Sydney competition or something bigger. I also take issue with Manly fans defending Brookvale. I went to a game there once, the place is a shithole and I've seen high schools with better facilities

My feelings boil down to the following :

If we're going to have teams representing suburban areas, they should play locally. If we make them represent larger areas, use the large stadia. You'll burn a lot of goodwill, but it'll be honest.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Playing out of a packed suburban ground hasn't hurt the Wanderers brand, far from it. And as a result of two codes (w/Parra) they've jagged a nice upgrade to 30K.

Also being a flipping marginal seat at all levels of government helps. Probably more than anything. Heck it's why Gosford Stadium got built in the first place, it was electoral pork through and through. The fact that the Bears, and then the Mariners use it is a pleasant afterthought. It's helped with the Mariners to attract 20 million dollars for a centre of excellence, and I'll bet a nice cup of tea they'll get another 10 million in the upcoming federal election.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Sounds like Alex Johnston is out for the Souths game today (which PSA is at 4 o'clock) which means the Souths team is looking pretty lean. Pretty much nobody left from their premiership winning team with Tom & Sam, Sutton, Aeynolds, Johnston out and maybe Inglis as well. Michael Oldfield might be coming in and playing his first for the bunnies too

e: Sam Burgess makes a pretty big difference I guess lol

Thinking fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 25, 2016

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Dogs are destroying the Bunnies. Very impressive.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Bunnies a 2 man team and both are injured.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Sam Burgess would make a difference down the middle, but 26 points is more than he could save. This is getting embarrassing.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Whilst jesus rose from the dead, i dont see souths doing so.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Yeah this is getting ridiculous

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
If Souths are a two man team then the Cowboys are a one man team.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Auditore posted:

If Souths are a two man team then the Cowboys are a one man team.

The Cowboys have lots of great players, but they're hosed without Thurston.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I don't understand a universe where McInnes is the first choice hooker over Cook.

Or even a first grade worthy hooker

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

cpaf posted:

I don't understand a universe where McInnes is the first choice hooker over Cook.

Or even a first grade worthy hooker

Or even a first grade player.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Rugby league works in mysterious ways. Always.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the last 15 minutes in last years GF was just classic, so good

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The battle of the fugly jerseys is on!

Also Fiji only gets the Nine feed :suicide:

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I actually thought the penalty was for McGuire's elbow there rather than against NQ.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Enjoying this. The impact of reduced interchange is showing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The broncos being retarded and kicking so many penalties is what's made this close.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
One heck of a game

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

iajanus posted:

The broncos being retarded and kicking so many penalties is what's made this close.

Nah, Hunts poor kicking and the fact that the teams are really close. Taking the two is good strategy imo. You need the good field position kicking to back it up though.

Also, holy gently caress this is stressful.

Also, Granville is amazing.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Yup. This is great fun.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

That was a pretty good game I guess

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Great game. More like that please.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dirty Frank posted:

Nah, Hunts poor kicking and the fact that the teams are really close. Taking the two is good strategy imo. You need the good field position kicking to back it up though.

Also, holy gently caress this is stressful.

Also, Granville is amazing.

The first goal I could get behind, but the second and third were idiotic. They showed no confidence in their ability to score tries and completely capitulated to the Cowboys once possession evened up. They were extremely lucky the Cowboys got greedy in extra time and forgot how they won the GF.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I don't like agreeing with Fittler but he was right when he was talking about punishing teams who abuse penalties inside the 10 early in the set. The Roosters have been the worst offenders in this for ages, just sitting on players or wrestling early in the count because who cares if you give up one tackle since your defence gets some rest and refs are almost always reluctant to blow the whistle successive times.

Taking 2 and then regaining possession is a good way to counter this imo, or at least break the cycle. There are some stats around somewhere that the Broncs usually score straight after taking 2 as well.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

The top teams don't let in many 10m tries when the goal line defense is set, which it will be on these kind of penalties. Playing against the Tigers the maths is different though ;)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Probably the best game of the year so far

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

What a game. Pretty good crowd too. :horse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

cpaf posted:

I don't like agreeing with Fittler but he was right when he was talking about punishing teams who abuse penalties inside the 10 early in the set. The Roosters have been the worst offenders in this for ages, just sitting on players or wrestling early in the count because who cares if you give up one tackle since your defence gets some rest and refs are almost always reluctant to blow the whistle successive times.

Taking 2 and then regaining possession is a good way to counter this imo, or at least break the cycle. There are some stats around somewhere that the Broncs usually score straight after taking 2 as well.

So much this..I feel like I've been posting about it for years. There's no downside to them deliberately slowing the play on goal line defence in the early tackles because even if a penalty is blown (it usually isn't) they get a 20 second rest while the ref fucks around and no quick tap is allowed. So frustrating to see it used repeatedly as a successful tactic by the usual rear end in a top hat clubs.

• Locked thread