Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

for the love of god, someone make a thread about this on the forum.
The sound was recorded in the office with some 3rd grade material instead of what Ilffonic showed.

The guys who are doing it probably have no loving experience what so ever with audio.
Sidenote : do you guys think squadron 42 would get the same treatment? Meaning amateur hour?

So far this is the saddest thing I have ever seen from SC. I mean I literally have no words for it.
And it also illustrates how hosed up this whole " development" is.

Meanwhile, in Elite, ambient background audio subtly changes depending on your orientation in the galaxy...

https://vimeo.com/121620196

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
I think Solar Plebeian has a real shot at steam greenlight + early access. Then put it on a bundle somewhere and eventually release the 1.0 before SC actually launches.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpYxot95Ns&t=35s

:smith:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr Fronts posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite, ambient background audio subtly changes depending on your orientation in the galaxy...

It also has really good voice comms in game. Like it distorts and breaks up if you are taking damage while talking with people. Your navigation computer also starts frying up if she's talking while taking damage.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SomethingJones posted:

Honestly, you can get away with that recording setup, although having the mic in the corner of the room is a bit odd. I've used a shotgun to record a vocal track in a room like that back when I didn't know what I was doing. You can pretty much get away with it for little sounds like that.

If they knew what they were doing they'd have a foley artist come in and perform to their animations. Those guys and girls are seriously talented with super sharp timing. Taking a big loving rustling noise and leather sounds and putting one on each moving anim bone and expecting it to sound good? GET THE gently caress OUT.

But seriously now guys. Every single loving thing they do is pure poo poo. poo poo physics, poo poo broken animations, barely watchable poo poo loving video promos of mumbling bumbling buffoons talking poo poo. poo poo flight model. poo poo environment design. And now poo poo audio design.

All poo poo, all of it. All pure loving poo poo. A total disaster, a laughing stock, a money pit, a trainwreck.

Long may it continue.

Come on now, that's unfair. The online spaceship purchasing website is working great.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
gently caress sake I have work to do!

I just sent that CIG video showing off their NEW AUDIO SYSTEM to a friend of mine. Here is what he sent me just now -

"If you close your eyes it sounds like a bag being put over your head and a belt being tightened around your neck"

edit- here's the link again in case anyone missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&t=3275s

Close your eyes and listen to CIG's new audio system, and try not to get CREEPED THE gently caress RIGHT OUT. For extra points, have someone place a photo of BUNNYMAN in front of you for when you open your eyes.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 25, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

gently caress sake I have work to do!

That's right, get to Benscribing :v:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Lmao, Chroberst is gonna have a really lovely day now
http://massivelyop.com/2016/03/25/william-shatner-lends-voice-to-elite-dangerous-addon/

quote:

“A new voice pack with over 1300 phrases from the legendary science fiction master who has lent his voice for a thoroughly immersive experience. A unique and special preview from YouTuber ‘Obsidian Ant’ will give you a feel for the character as well as some insight into some new features, one being a Nebula Tour which is a very exciting journey that you can enjoy with Orion in the game.”

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It also has really good voice comms in game. Like it distorts and breaks up if you are taking damage while talking with people. Your navigation computer also starts frying up if she's talking while taking damage.

The average Star Citizen backer isn't sophisticated enough to notice that level of quality, to be fair. SC backers have very fundamental cognitive functions - "I shot a laser, and I heard the sound come from my speakers!" is about as good as it's gonna get with them. In their ears, Elite and Star Citizen sound exactly the same. This extends to the physics, the graphics, and everything else about the PTU that the autistic manchild Chris Roberts shat upon the gaming world. It's good to know that the extra efforts real developers put into their real games gets appreciated, though. It's the little touches that make the real games stand out. Like them working.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

that was pretty uncomfortable

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wait, I don't understand. They've got a famous actor to voice their game, but he's not putting on a terrible unrecognisable voice and they've not plastered his image all over their marketing material? I bet you'll tell me they didn't pay him $10 million to do it too!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

The average Star Citizen backer isn't sophisticated enough to notice that level of quality, to be fair. SC backers have very fundamental cognitive functions - "I shot a laser, and I heard the sound come from my speakers!" is about as good as it's gonna get with them. In their ears, Elite and Star Citizen sound exactly the same. This extends to the physics, the graphics, and everything else about the PTU that the autistic manchild Chris Roberts shat upon the gaming world. It's good to know that the extra efforts real developers put into their real games gets appreciated, though. It's the little touches that make the real games stand out. Like them working.

However, they're also the most likely group of people to buy into "audiophile" cables and special balanced wood volume knobs for their amplifier rigs which reduce total harmonic distortion levels.

In other words, complete and utter idiots.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Apparently they sold 9000 Blades, but many people used store credit to purchase the ships. People have been buying and melting ships as some sort of spaceship layaway.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The more times i see this vid, the more I think that CIG is just trying to make a really complex space version of QWOP.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I seek out stupid youtube comments.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

I shut it off right after the :tinfoil: sugar :tinfoil: part.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I for one am glad to see the tinder stacked underneath CIG starting to smolder

There constant lies and changing things after a sale is over will eventually be their undoing

Did they seriously sell a ship as one thing, then change what it was after the money was in their pockets (and change the wording on their page to hide what it was originally marketed as)?

I read this thread in bits and bobs so I might have missed something

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 25, 2016

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

Honestly, you can get away with that recording setup, although having the mic in the corner of the room is a bit odd. I've used a shotgun to record a vocal track in a room like that back when I didn't know what I was doing. You can pretty much get away with it for little sounds like that.

If they knew what they were doing they'd have a foley artist come in and perform to their animations. Those guys and girls are seriously talented with super sharp timing. Taking a big loving rustling noise and leather sounds and putting one on each moving anim bone and expecting it to sound good? GET THE gently caress OUT.

But seriously now guys. Every single loving thing they do is pure poo poo. poo poo physics, poo poo broken animations, barely watchable poo poo loving video promos of mumbling bumbling buffoons talking poo poo. poo poo flight model. poo poo environment design. And now poo poo audio design.

All poo poo, all of it. All pure loving poo poo. A total disaster, a laughing stock, a money pit, a trainwreck.

Long may it continue.

It's not really a problem though, because they're gonna refactor redo all of it yet again when it gets unapproved by the chairman. Surely the 18th time around will be the charm.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

Wait, I don't understand. They've got a famous actor to voice their game, but he's not putting on a terrible unrecognisable voice and they've not plastered his image all over their marketing material? I bet you'll tell me they didn't pay him $10 million to do it too!

You ever notice how frequently movies come out in pairs? An original work, and an imitator. For every Pacific Rim, there's an Atlantic Rim. For every Bug's Life, there an Antz. For every Transformers, there's a Transmorphers.

And for Elite: Dangerous, there's Star Citizen - the shoddy knockoff.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I love the idea that CIG, with their huge masses of engineering debt and backers that are already getting fed up with lack of real progress, threw out perfectly good audio and wasted time recording new audio. The fact it's lovely is just icing on the cake.

They just can't loving help themselves.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
It's pointless trying to transcribe any of that, Ben talks like his face is filled with twenty Big Mac Meals, he's incoherent and barely comprehensible - more than usual. And Batgirl making excuses for poo poo on his behalf is annoying.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Who's ”they”?
It's a third party voice pack (HCS Voice Packs) for a third party app (Voice Attack).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Daztek posted:

I wonder how much money Chris Roberts paid Derek under the table

E: Do you guys think Braben is in on it too??

Braben is the evil mastermind behind it all. Just look at how many people have started to play E:D due to SC. With that and the money siphoned off from the whales, I'm sure he can pay CRobber and Derek handsomely for their PR efforts.

Mr Fronts posted:

Also in Elite, the background sounds baked into the music track lets you determine by sound what kind of planet you're looking at in the map screen without getting close up and doing a manual scan.

I didn't even notice this and thought it was a bit of a myth until someone bashed me over the head with it. :shobon:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sappo569 posted:

I for one am glad to see the tinder stacked underneath CIG starting to smolder

There constant lies and changing things after a sale is over will eventually be their undoing

Did they seriously sell a ship as one thing, then change what it was after the money was in their pockets (and change the wording on their page to hide what it was originally marketed as)?

I read this thread in bits and bobs so I might have missed something

That's literally what they did.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

Braben is the evil mastermind behind it all. Just look at how many people have started to play E:D due to SC. With that and the money siphoned off from the whales, I'm sure he can pay CRobber and Derek handsomely for their PR efforts.

Also in Elite, the background sounds baked into the music track lets you determine by sound what kind of planet you're looking at in the map screen without getting close up and doing a manual scan.

I didn't even notice this and thought it was a bit of a myth until someone bashed me over the head with it. :shobon:

Also cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HdEZGAiKIY

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That's literally what they did.

:eyepop:

I can only assume the authorities are already on the way

Why do they get away with this ?

I need a cigarette

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

:laffo: These never get old

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4bu2k4/dereks_reason_why_the_free_fly_week_was_a/

You sure showed Derek Smart by throwing your money into a dumpster fire :allears:

It's hilarious. Then your brain unfreezes and you realize that these assholes lie about every loving thing.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tippis posted:

Another cool sound detail is that every kind of point of interest on the ground has a different kind of sound when the wave scanner passes across it. If you pay attention and learn the sounds you can become pretty sure about what you're picking up over vast distances and tell the difference between structures, wrecks and mineral outcrops.

If it's minerals you can use a combination of the height of the wave and the sound it makes to make a real good guess at what kind of minerals are there exactly, allowing you to pass over lovely mineral locations or zero in on great ones.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

Sappo569 posted:

I need a cigarette

Don't worry, cracks are showing. There's a thread about the Blade's flight modes with a bunch of pretty decent sized whales going 'wait what is this poo poo' and calling out CIG's bait-and-switch tactics.

e:

Space Skeleton posted:

Another cool sound detail is that every kind of point of interest on the ground has a different kind of sound when the wave scanner passes across it. If you pay attention and learn the sounds you can become pretty sure about what you're picking up over vast distances and tell the difference between structures, wrecks and mineral outcrops.

If it's minerals you can use a combination of the height of the wave and the sound it makes to make a real good guess at what kind of minerals are there exactly, allowing you to pass over lovely mineral locations or zero in on great ones.

I knew you could read the sounds (which is mindblowing in and of itself) but I didn't realise that the height and sound could be used to make a good guess at the mineral types. That's amazing, I need to look into that more next time I ship out on an exploration run.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

GabrielMobius posted:

Don't worry, cracks are showing. There's a thread about the Blade's flight modes with a bunch of pretty decent sized whales going 'wait what is this poo poo' and calling out CIG's bait-and-switch tactics.

Someone post that it's happening gif please

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

Someone post that it's happening gif please

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
what's great is that they keep making these little "mistakes" and let people know only after they've netted a whole bunch of cash. This has happened like 5 times now. It's been a lucrative "mistake" each and every time.

I can't fathom how naive you would have to be to think this is purely coincidental.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

GabrielMobius posted:

Once the avalanche of discontent starts in earnest, there is literally no amount of forum-banning, YouTube-shilling, or ship-selling that will stop it. Derek Smart will be the least of CIG's problems if the backers band together and start demanding refunds. Even funnier if they enact legal action. And all Derek, and we, have to do is sit and watch.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Happy Sisyphus posted:

im confused as to why they think derek would be angry that they, the people who hate/cyberstalk him, are throwing more of their money away?

:shrug:

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

for the love of god, someone make a thread about this on the forum.
The sound was recorded in the office with some 3rd grade material instead of what Ilffonic showed.

The guys who are doing it probably have no loving experience what so ever with audio.
Sidenote : do you guys think squadron 42 would get the same treatment? Meaning amateur hour?

So far this is the saddest thing I have ever seen from SC. I mean I literally have no words for it.
And it also illustrates how hosed up this whole " development" is.

One step ahead of you :smug:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bsyb5/around_the_verse_episode_224/d1cvdhs

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bs5hf/what_happened_to_this_crazy_sound_design/

Cant post on CIG since i am banned until release in 2026

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

chaosbreather posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Why are they recording sound when they could just engineer a state of the art acoustic simulation engine to make all sound as it happens, procedurally? It seems like that would be more immersive and authentic.

Because spending money on mocap is more beneficial. Or something.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Additional backlash might come today if they decide to Push 2.3, which is a whirling sack of dogshit even by SC Alpha standards, on to Live so that they can push the price hiked Starfarer. It would be a huge mistake, but I think they've realized that and are going to wait another week.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sappo569 posted:

I need a cigarette

Well if you missed chairgate, that one was a big doozy. Concept ship had 2 seats and sold for $150. Had a transparent cockpit.

When released, only one chair and cockpit visibility is poor due to more structural steel used than the Gold Gate bridge.

A few were pissed, but ultimately there was a poll and 90% said it wasn't a big deal to be hosed.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

Yes, I back SC. No, I will not get a refund (I don't care - it was disposable income for me). Yes - I make up my own mind. No, I'm not an idiot (well versed in tech, cyber security, and finance industries - can't talk about what I do for a living though).

Posting from the past again to ask if anyone called out this idiot for the "can't talk about what I do for a living" bullshit. My money's on computer janitor with an inflated ego just going from his using CIG having fast internet to claim they are going to actually release this pile of garbage with all the claimed features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

orcinus posted:

Who's ”they”?
It's a third party voice pack (HCS Voice Packs) for a third party app (Voice Attack).

It's specifically a voice pack for E:D - using third parties to do things that you're not an expert in instead of say, building your own mocap studio, is pretty standard.

It's basically showing how it's relatively straight forward to get big name actors involved in your game in a really impressive way without spending $10 million dollars on it.

Get this, I imagine that David Braben didn't personally direct these actors about how they should be doing the voices or write the script himself. I imagine they probably got professionals in to do these things instead of letting it be a vanity project for the guy calling the shots.

loving ground breaking.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 25, 2016

• Locked thread