Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Aw man, if you are into sounds in Elite then you are going to love this detailed presentation by Sr Audio Designer Matthew Florianz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiAcsrmyePs

E:

Actually some of the ships in Elite sound like cats purring I swear, i.e. Viper.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MedicineHut posted:

Aw man, if you are into sounds in Elite then you are going to love this detailed presentation by Sr Audio Designer Matthew Florianz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiAcsrmyePs

I wonder why CIG isn't giving talks about their groundbreaking 64bit Physics and Local Precision Grids, I mean, these are just sounds, nothing special.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

:vince:

i love the two weeks addition too

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sappo569 posted:

:eyepop:

I can only assume the authorities are already on the way

Why do they get away with this ?

I need a cigarette

Because they have no shame "Please master chris poo poo on me next!" "No Lord chris, my wife and kids have left me, i'm more deserving of being poo poo on!"

Crawling towards the thumblord with mouths open, minds focused on only thumblords quivering anus and the contents rumbling within, Thumblord sees this and is pleased "Yessss open wide, another 5 million he grins and jerks off onto bens ear.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

D_Smart posted:

Because spending money on mocap is more beneficial. Or something.

Don't be silly, Derek Smart, that would imply that they don't have all the money they could ever need, that they are in some financial situation other than fully loaded with everything they need to properly realise the dreams of Chris Roberts and his fans. The only reason they wouldn't do things properly immersive and simulate sound from acoustic propagation in materials is if they were haemorrhaging cash and had to compromise realism because they were essentially hobos living on borrowed time in borrowed Porsches.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
While we watch CIG burn down, we should remember that CIG is still making a decent amount of money each day. Which leads to an upcoming moral problem:

At some point, CIG may release a SQ42 trailer, with the industry standard explosions and video and an industry substandard level of acting. This may cause a wave of backers to regain faith, blasphemously ironic phrase today, in CIG and pledge yet more money. But there is another problem I'm interested in. Any video game trailer is standard fodder for a quick news story in gaming sites. A star citizen trailer would be, in usual circumstances, a major story in gaming sites. Gaming sites reporting on the CIG trailer will lead interested parties to CIG, where some of them may pledge money. Indeed, this is the very objective of a CIG trailer.

But CIG is doomed and the money has been criminally mismanaged. The press may be aware of this now, even if they don't get the full details. That means the press, by reporting on a CIG trailer, are lending their reputation, or just messaging power, to a company which operates in a scamming fashion. If the press write a story about SQ42 or a SQ42 trailer, then they share some moral culpability for the massive loss of gamer money that is happening right now. This could lead some sites to downplay, or ignore, a SQ42 trailer altogether.

Already, JohnP said that a site stopped a CIG story upon reading his chargeback post. Will this become a growing trend, reputable people refuse to write anything about CIG, to avoid lending their legitimacy to Chris Robbers?

Yet another problem for the Santa Monica brain trust.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Ghostlight posted:

Every great troll consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The troll shows you something ordinary: a stupid comment, a procedurally generated bird or a photoshop. He shows you this thing. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The troll takes the ordinary something and makes it something unbelievably stupid. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to think you're better than him. But you wouldn't ban him yet. Because making himself look stupid isn't enough; he has to reveal it in a manner that embarrasses you. That's why every great troll has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige".

You can't troll citizens properly because they are permanently stuck in the pledge.

This is a good post.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Good morning MoMA!

How does the thread's collective contempt for SC Cultists (especially whales) make you feel?

Do you still think you backed the right horse with Chris Roberts?

How many times can you take being called an idiot (not directly mind you - just by association) before you snap and have an Internet meltdown?

And will you pledge more money to CIG in order to spite Dr. Derek Smart?

Have a nice day!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Thoatse posted:

My favorite part was the unironic slot machine comment.

Actually it's not unironic. :colbert:

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

gently caress sake I have work to do!

I just sent that CIG video showing off their NEW AUDIO SYSTEM to a friend of mine. Here is what he sent me just now -

"If you close your eyes it sounds like a bag being put over your head and a belt being tightened around your neck"

edit- here's the link again in case anyone missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&t=3275s

Close your eyes and listen to CIG's new audio system, and try not to get CREEPED THE gently caress RIGHT OUT. For extra points, have someone place a photo of BUNNYMAN in front of you for when you open your eyes.

I had the pleasure to observe professional audio engineers and pick their brains when i was working at SONY. There are a couple of things that make the alarm bells go off immediately.

1. You NEVER record clean sound next to a wall or other objects. NEVER EVER.
2. You NEVER record clean sound in a room with blank walls and a carpet. NEVER EVER.
3. You NEVER record clean sound extremely close to the microphone. You want a 2 meter distance and a 45 degree angle above your object.

A pro sound stage consists of a directional stereo Microphone aiming for the engineer and 4 microphones in each corner. The 4 corner mics are used to calibrate the centre one. That process is somewhat complicated and i never really understood how it works. It has something to do with how even in a silent room you still have some reflection from the mics and the engineer and the 4 mics are used to filter that by some Fourier Transformation magic i don't understand. The 4 corner mics can later also be used for positional audio when run through a DSP to add reflection from surfaces.

Anyway, what you see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&feature=youtu.be&t=3275 is not even amateur.

As for the foley based on bones, that is the biggest horseshit i ever seen. What you want is your game level to have environmental markers describing the surfaces and then add your DSP effects accordingly mixing them with the original direct recording to create a realistic sound for the player. It's the only right way to do this, there is no need to invent something new.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Dashticle posted:

I like it. Pallets loaded with whale-noodle vending machines, and the space bulldozer from the wing commander movie to shunt them around.

Toops, are you still accepting assets for solar pleb? I've got a week off work and a dusty copy of 3DSMax o9

Large Lesnick Noodle Vending Machine

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Tippis posted:

Braben is the evil mastermind behind it all. Just look at how many people have started to play E:D due to SC. With that and the money siphoned off from the whales, I'm sure he can pay CRobber and Derek handsomely for their PR efforts.

Also in Elite, the background sounds baked into the music track lets you determine by sound what kind of planet you're looking at in the map screen without getting close up and doing a manual scan.

I didn't even notice this and thought it was a bit of a myth until someone bashed me over the head with it. :shobon:

Yeah, the sound design in E:D is the most amazing thing i have heard to date. There is nothing else that comes close to dynamic range and both crispness and subtlety of it. I get goosebumps regularly because i have to admit, i am a big sucker for good sound design. One reason i can never play COD, those guns and grenades are just making me throw up.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Risc1911 posted:

I had the pleasure to observe professional audio engineers and pick their brains when i was working at SONY. There are a couple of things that make the alarm bells go off immediately.

1. You NEVER record clean sound next to a wall or other objects. NEVER EVER.
2. You NEVER record clean sound in a room with blank walls and a carpet. NEVER EVER.
3. You NEVER record clean sound extremely close to the microphone. You want a 2 meter distance and a 45 degree angle above your object.

A pro sound stage consists of a directional stereo Microphone aiming for the engineer and 4 microphones in each corner. The 4 corner mics are used to calibrate the centre one. That process is somewhat complicated and i never really understood how it works. It has something to do with how even in a silent room you still have some reflection from the mics and the engineer and the 4 mics are used to filter that by some Fourier Transformation magic i don't understand. The 4 corner mics can later also be used for positional audio when run through a DSP to add reflection from surfaces.

Anyway, what you see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&feature=youtu.be&t=3275 is not even amateur.

As for the foley based on bones, that is the biggest horseshit i ever seen. What you want is your game level to have environmental markers describing the surfaces and then add your DSP effects accordingly mixing them with the original direct recording to create a realistic sound for the player. It's the only right way to do this, there is no need to invent something new.

Oh yeah, huh?

Well then... SONY clearly doesn't understand video game development OR sound design.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The NEW AWESOME SPACEMANS SFX sounds like a b-movie ghost with jangly chains.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"Everytime Derek SHART tries getting into my head I just SMASH myself in the FACE with a brick! HOW'D YA LIKE TH AT DEreelkkkkkblkbklmnkm.."

"Sorry what was I saying?"

Friend, a helpful suggestion. Overusing your caps lock button and using words such as "DEreelkkkkkblkbklmnkm" gets old pretty fast

Your posts will improve if you save those tools for when they're really necessary

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Risc1911 posted:

WOW! They threw away the Illfonic sound design, which was incredible and recorded it again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&feature=youtu.be&t=3275

"We recorded a brand new set of sounds."

No you fuckin' wankers took a microphone and placed it into the corner of some interns office then recorded rustling backpacks and Sandi's martial arts equipment.

Here is the original sound design Video: https://vimeo.com/138360203
Seriously, i am disappointed, i was expecting fidelity!

jesus christ at 54:45 its the loving kickstarter belt! CONSPIRACY !? I think so!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

I hope they have stores in solar plebian, I kind of want to be a pawn broker in paarp space now.

It'd be like a demented SPACE DREAMS version of reccetear.

FTFY.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Friend, a helpful suggestion. Overusing your caps lock button and using words such as "DEreelkkkkkblkbklmnkm" gets old pretty fast

Your posts will improve if you save those tools for when they're really necessary

Duly noted.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Now that Elite Dangerous booring gameplay (which I exhausted in 1.5 hours, guys) the amount of content is tripling every second.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Just quickly while you're already being given posting advice just a handy tip, we've also decided everyone needs to start signing their posts now.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
List of things CIG has not hosed up:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just quickly while you're already being given posting advice just a handy tip, we've also decided everyone needs to start signing their posts now.

Kept meaning to but got distracted.

-Brazilianpeanutwar, son of FrenchBananawar.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

boethius posted:

Large Lesnick Noodle Vending Machine

Discount Dan's newest rival appears on the scene!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

1. This thread.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Risc1911 posted:

More accurately: it's the only right way to do it, there's no need to repeat mistakes that were learned in the 1920s and '40s. As someone pointed out, the amount of sound they're trying to mix and the number of sources of those sounds just make it a directionless swirl of white noise. Not that it's inherently bad to have many sound sources, but you need to understand which ones are actually important to hear and which ones should be muted at any given time.

What they're doing is essentially the same mistake they're doing with their “immersive” visuals and VR: they assume, contrary to all proven experience, that you want to simulate everything that is happening and shove it right down the player's throat. “We should have this chair animation because that's what happens when you sit in a chair”; “we should have headbob because your head moves up and down”; we should have every item make a noise because every item does.” All of these are technically true, but they are irrelevant to the process of making a useful, believable environment because we have this huge pattern-matching DSP-like blob of fat between our ears that filters out all of that junk and only shows us what we need to pay attention to. That's the job the audio (and visual) designers have to do for us in a video game — it's not to overload the brain with input that it has no control over.

You don't even have to go poke at SONY engineers to understand this. Just look at the behind-the-scenes of any somewhat competently made film. If there's a section on sound editing, there will pretty much always be a comment about how you can't use every sound because that becomes awful to listen to and will ruin the film like little else can. The Mûmakils in LOTR have four legs — they still make a “STOMP … STOMP … STOMP” sound (rather than the quiet shuffleshuffleshuffleshuffle you'd get from an actual elephant) because that's the impression of weight and impending doom you want to convey to the audience.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 25, 2016

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

1. This thread.

Whoah, right and right again

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cocaine dad show posted:

so that's errr a pretty good question uhhhh, and uuh, so in terms of you know, sort of, the question, it's well errr, like, who exactly uh who, then uh, so this is uhhhh, who and so on and errr, so there you go, dunno if that uhhh answered the question

That's a liar. Their hands stayed still the whole time.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6496380/#Comment_6496380

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6497041/#Comment_6497041

:confused:

E: pressed wrong buttan

Daztek fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 25, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

The average Star Citizen backer isn't sophisticated enough to notice that level of quality, to be fair. SC backers have very fundamental cognitive functions - "I shot a laser, and I heard the sound come from my speakers!" is about as good as it's gonna get with them. In their ears, Elite and Star Citizen sound exactly the same. This extends to the physics, the graphics, and everything else about the PTU that the autistic manchild Chris Roberts shat upon the gaming world. It's good to know that the extra efforts real developers put into their real games gets appreciated, though. It's the little touches that make the real games stand out. Like them working.

The laser sound gave me a boner too!

(I used it on my Fora Pleasure Bot.)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

its fun seeing dr. smart use something awful smilies

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

The gently caress do they need ASIO for? :confused: so now you can play real life instruments in the game and it becomes Rocksmith as well? Wew StarCitizen is really every game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:yikes:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
p disappointed I didn't buy elite when it was $15, because I was afraid it wouldn't work on my computer. Now, iirc it's normal price so if I buy it and love it so much I want horizons I basically have to pay $15 extra vs just buying horizons

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

what the ffffffffffff

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my wife told me I'd never make myself spend the money, so she preordered me a Vive this morning

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Eonwe posted:

my wife told me I'd never make myself spend the money, so she preordered me a Vive this morning

You should marry that woman.

Yes, again.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 25, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Why the gently caress would audio drivers affect input latency :confused:

Are they going to accept midi input?

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Tippis posted:

More accurately: it's the only right way to do it, there's no need to repeat mistakes that were learned in the 1920s and '40s. As someone pointed out, the amount of sound they're trying to mix and the number of sources of those sounds just make it a directionless swirl of white noise. Not that it's inherently bad to have many sound sources, but you need to understand which ones are actually important to hear and which ones should be muted at any given time.

What they're doing is essentially the same mistake they're doing with their “immersive” visuals and VR: they assume, contrary to all proven experience, that you want to simulate everything that is happening and shove it right down the player's throat. “We should have this chair animation because that's what happens when you sit in a chair”; “we should have headbob because your head moves up and down”; we should have every item make a noise because every item does.” All of these are technically true, but they are irrelevant to the process of making a useful, believable environment because we have this huge pattern-matching DSP-like blob of fat between our ears that filters out all of that junk and only shows us what we need to pay attention to. That's the job the audio (and visual) designers have to do for us in a video game — it's not to overload the brain with input that it has no control over.

You don't even have to go poke at SONY engineers to understand this. Just look at the behind-the-scenes of any somewhat competently made film. If there's a section on sound editing, there will pretty much always be a comment about how you can't use every sound because that becomes awful to listen to and will ruin the film like little else can. The Mûmakils in LOTR have four legs — they still make a “STOMP … STOMP … STOMP” sound (rather than the quiet shuffleshuffleshuffleshuffle you'd get from an actual elephant) because that's the impression of weight and impending doom you want to convey to the audience.

agreed. that elephant walking is a good example what the :design: part in sound design means.

I think the funny part is that this was 100% an idea that croberts had in a dream. Let's make the sounds come from the actual objects, like the arms and belts and boots of our immersive player models. It does sound great at first if you are an imbecile that has no idea about game design let alone sound design. It's the way he designed the whole game. Let's just build everything as if it was real and it will be perfect.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I made you all a picture of chris roberts destroying his own legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTz1UJHekw

• Locked thread