Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

And just like that, time has passed, and we're back next Friday.

Best post of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can only imagine how crazy this season is going to be. Like, every season has been a roller coaster, but with them knowing this is the season it will end I have a feeling it is just going to be nonstop unrelenting tension the whole way through. Should we start a poll on whether we will find out Hood's real name? My money is on no.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I refuse to waver from my belief that his name being Gaaaaaaaaaary is canon

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't have a hate-on for Eliza Dushku like most people, really liked her on Buffy and Angel... Dollhouse too towards the end.
Can't wait to see(her tits) and what she brings to the show!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

In high school, every guy in my class (myself included) thought she was really hot.

Now? Eh. She's okay I guess. I don't have a hate-boner for her either, I'm sure she'll be good in the show, especially in the role she's in.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'll hear suggestions for possible real names and add them to a poll in the new thread. It's pointless and dorky, but I don't give a poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His real name is going to be John if we find it out at all. Because that is as generic as it can get.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

His real name is going to be John if we find it out at all. Because that is as generic as it can get.

Either that or it's gonna be some weird name like you hear in SciFi/Fantasy books, like Guggenheim McFrankenbutt. Or the kind of name you see in action movies, like Ace O'Riordan.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

life is killing me posted:

Guggenheim McFrankenbutt

Changing my guess to this.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
His real name is Hood.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I hope we never learn his real name, we don't need it.
Hood is just a force of nature that swept through Banshee.

Otherwise, it'll probably be something like Norman or Dennis.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Deakul posted:

I hope we never learn his real name, we don't need it.
Hood is just a force of nature that swept through Banshee.

Otherwise, it'll probably be something like Norman or Dennis.

Dennis the Menace really lived up to his name. No idea why he dyed his hair though.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Piell posted:

His real name is Hood.

Hood Lucas, career criminal. The sheriff's name was a pure coincidence.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I felt a bit annoyed how the last season retconned/shoehorned in a Hood backstory where he is some special ops military assassin. It kinda contradicts the whole "Hood learning how to fight in prison so he can take on the Albino" backstory, unless they reveal that his role in the military was flying choppers or something?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Holy poo poo I am so excited for this, but sad it's the final season (it is, right?). Also, the summary for the premiere looks interesting. Unless the "big bad" of the season changes at some point, it feels like the set up for this season is something we would have seen in earlier seasons Lucas becomes immersed in a new Banshee crisis involving a vicious serial murderer..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pron on VHS posted:

I felt a bit annoyed how the last season retconned/shoehorned in a Hood backstory where he is some special ops military assassin. It kinda contradicts the whole "Hood learning how to fight in prison so he can take on the Albino" backstory, unless they reveal that his role in the military was flying choppers or something?

Go re watch the Albino episode. Hood isn't learning how to fight, he was hardening himself for an opponent that outmatched him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah maybe, still, I got a feeling that his prison time is what turned him into a hardened and talented fighter/killer/badass, and before that he was just a baby faced thief

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah maybe, still, I got a feeling that his prison time is what turned him into a hardened and talented fighter/killer/badass, and before that he was just a baby faced thief

It may have changed the game for him but they were dropping hints that he had military training from very early on.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It may have changed the game for him but they were dropping hints that he had military training from very early on.

He was letting himself get soft as a thief, drinking and cavorting, falling in love. Prison, especially his welcome party by Rabbit, forced him to get his steel back. It's also supported that while prison forced him to get hard again, in a new way, it made him more chaotic and sloppy in his attack. He's recognized as having training but not being what he was for this reason, that he had to start taking from his environment whatever isn't bolted down to survive.

Going back and looking at all the evidence, it may have felt out of nowhere but was in fact hinted at from very early.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pron on VHS posted:

He was always a good fighter, remember when he was sparring with Olek in the flashback? Olek was no slouch.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Combative arts are perishable skills and yeah, one can go soft if they let their training lapse. As a lifelong martial arts nerd it looks to me like this show uses a lot of Kali and Silat in its fight choreography and that stuff is especially intricate and complex.

I'd love to see more of Hood's prison years; I thought I read somewhere a long time ago that the Albino was going to be seen again and I hope that's true but who knows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also contrary to the usual TV depictions the military, even special forces, don't receive very much hand to hand training.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There was something on Reddit last year where people were going over the fighting styles.

Everyone seems to train multiple styles

Hood uses Muay Thai, DIrty Boxing and military hand to hand styles (USMC, Krav Maga etc)

Kai uses Kung Fu and Boxing

Ana is a bad rear end Kali & Jeet Kune Do expert. I'm assuming Olek is a mixture is a bunch of stuff.

Burton apparently is a Sambo dude

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 24, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah I guess there's also that scene where the balding cop goes "that wasn't a fight, that was combat"

Anyways coolest show ever

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah as everyone else said there are a lot of hints of his military training, but they never outright say military, so he could have been a PMC too. I think in either the thread for S1 or S2 (or even this one) there was more discussion on this and some posters were thinking he wasn't PMC or something IIRC, but either way, he has some kind of training he didn't get out of nowhere.

In the prison fight with the Albino, we see that Hood had been soft like other posters said, and the Albino was larger and outmatched Hood by a long shot. So Hood just took whatever opportunity he had to put the odds more in his favor, and I'd guess a dickless Albino would do that.

But my point is that Hood actually has technique and martial arts training, something that you don't just automatically know from being in prison; he had to know it before he went to prison.

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah I guess there's also that scene where the balding cop goes "that wasn't a fight, that was combat"

Hood wins because he fights to survive, which is why he did beat Sanchez in S1E3 even though Sanchez was clearly a more skilled and well-rounded fighter by way of being an MMA champ. But he fought with the rules that come with MMA competition, and Hood fought dirty because he never had those constraints.

Aphrodite posted:

Also contrary to the usual TV depictions the military, even special forces, don't receive very much hand to hand training.

That depends. We trained once a week in combatives which drew a lot from BJJ. Once a week isn't comprehensive by any means, but almost every soldier has SOME training in it, some more than others. Some soldiers did BJJ so much it became pretty much their job and they competed in Army competitions. As to SOF, they'll receive more training than the average person; Navy SEALs get decent hand to hand training, as do SFOD-D. I couldn't say to what extent because I was neither of those nor was I part of any SOF, but close combat training is part of their overall training moreso than any conventional forces. The show is of course blowing it out of proportion as to Hood's fighting skills for entertaining purposes, but still.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah that all makes sense. I seem to remember Hood's flashbacks in prison being similar to the guy in Oldboy, where he uses his prison wall to learn how to box. I just sorta inferred that he went into prison as a pure thief and emerged as an all-around badass. I liked that backstory better than knowing that Hood already was a badass prior to even being a thief, but its not a big deal and I love the show. I do hope that they focus more on the present than on his military past

also I know in real life being in the military doesn't make you a super marksmen/martial artist/etc., but in TV/movies saying a character was in "special forces" is shorthand for saying this guy is basically Batman

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That depends. We trained once a week in combatives which drew a lot from BJJ. Once a week isn't comprehensive by any means, but almost every soldier has SOME training in it, some more than others. Some soldiers did BJJ so much it became pretty much their job and they competed in Army competitions. As to SOF, they'll receive more training than the average person; Navy SEALs get decent hand to hand training, as do SFOD-D. I couldn't say to what extent because I was neither of those nor was I part of any SOF, but close combat training is part of their overall training moreso than any conventional forces. The show is of course blowing it out of proportion as to Hood's fighting skills for entertaining purposes, but still.

I meant that "Special Forces" is used as a shortcut to mean "Can keep up with Green Arrow and the League of Assassins" on TV.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hood wins because he fights to survive, which is why he did beat Sanchez in S1E3 even though Sanchez was clearly a more skilled and well-rounded fighter by way of being an MMA champ. But he fought with the rules that come with MMA competition, and Hood fought dirty because he never had those constraints.

Rarely have I ever watched a movie/TV beatdown that I enjoyed So. Goddamned. Much. I was literally yelling and cheering at the TV.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

also I know in real life being in the military doesn't make you a super marksmen/martial artist/etc., but in TV/movies saying a character was in "special forces" is shorthand for saying this guy is basically Batman

That's pretty much true. Even for shows that are centered on the military and thus have an advisor of sorts, they really try to convey the sense that if you're part of an SOF force in whatever branch, you're automatically badass. I mean, Delta Force (SFOD-D) or whatever other unconventional unit you want to insert there, are no slouches by any stretch. But TV shows tend to lump all unconventional forces in all branches in together, like they are all Special Forces (which is itself a term used only for Army's green berets, who are meant more for foreign internal defense or counterinsurgency, and less SEAL type poo poo that shows and movies like to make you think) that do the same poo poo, and that's not even close to the truth.

So basically every TV show just assumes that special ops guys somehow have the time with all their other training to do, you know, war poo poo, to train in hand-to-hand combat and become essentially martial arts masters. It's pretty glaring in Daredevil S2 as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Frank is a Marine, Marine Corp Martial Arts Program is pretty awesome.

But my point is that Hood actually has technique and martial arts training, something that you don't just automatically know from being in prison; he had to know it before he went to prison.

A. He was probably an angry brawler when he went into the Army.
B. He would have picked some up in the Army.
C. He was put into Hitman School.
D. His friends could all fight, Job, Olek, Ana.
E. He's basically been in combat none stop for 15-20 years.

He called himself a Soldier, That say's Army, not Marine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
New thread for y'all. Lower effort than the last go round, but aside from me being lazy or there not being that much information on the new season yet, a massive OP really didn't seem necessary this year.

If you're browsing through the Awful app on your phone or tablet, make sure you drop by the thread on a browser so you can vote in the poll. I spent a good five minutes putting it together, so it's the least you can do.

• Locked thread