Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Moved my comment here because it's more relevant… :haw:

Risc1911 posted:

agreed. that elephant walking is a good example what the :design: part in sound design means.

I think the funny part is that this was 100% an idea that croberts had in a dream. Let's make the sounds come from the actual objects, like the arms and belts and boots of our immersive player models. It does sound great at first if you are an imbecile that has no idea about game design let alone sound design. It's the way he designed the whole game. Let's just build everything as if it was real and it will be perfect.

As an ddendum to all the previous :words: about sound design. I think I've figured out a single-sentence way of describing why CIG's attempts at fidelity all fall flat on their face: they're trying to simulate a world, not the human perception of the world. Doing the former is easy, and also wrong. Doing the latter is hard, but gives is the source of actual immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Next they will tell you to use gold plated Monster cables because only they can handle the fidelity of Star Citizen.

posted from my Idris command center

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Oh dear.

All of a sudden all those individual sounds aren't such a great idea when you start using the realtime reverbs and environmental fx. Maybe that's why Ilfonic went to the trouble of recording the audio in different environments you dummies.

So to get the latency down they're using ASIO drivers, and guess how well that's going to work in a game.

Tippis posted:

As an ddendum to all the previous :words: about sound design. I think I've figured out a single-sentence way of describing why CIG's attempts at fidelity all fall flat on their face: they're trying to simulate a world, not the human perception of the world. Doing the former is easy, and also wrong. Doing the latter is hard, but gives is the source of actual immersion.

This

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why the gently caress would audio drivers affect input latency :confused:

Are they going to accept midi input?

He is talking about ASIO drivers which really only make sense if you have dedicated DSP audio hardware. Everything else is wank.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A game is BULLSHIT to me unless I have to install new printer divers

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6496995/#Comment_6496995

:smug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323668/cig-making-it-difficult-to-be-forgiving

Oh silly silly backers.....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323668/cig-making-it-difficult-to-be-forgiving

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6494373/#Comment_6494373

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Furtive Goonie, so easily forgotten.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Looking forward to the 30gb patch everytime I need to update my RobertsCo StarAudio drivers.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Risc1911 posted:

He is talking about ASIO drivers which really only make sense if you have dedicated DSP audio hardware. Everything else is wank.

Yes he's talking about ASIO drivers, but even with standard onboard sound chipsets like AC97 and realtek stuff ASIO drivers can actually get your latency down. When you do it this way ASIO runs in systray, and you can adjust buffers and some other things I can't remember.

It's almost unbelievable that they're asking people this.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Tippis posted:

Two great minds...i think we are on to something, this is exactly how he approaches game design. Knowing this and extrapolating it to the ships i see no chance this game will ever be playable.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

It's specifically a voice pack for E:D - using third parties to do things that you're not an expert in instead of say, building your own mocap studio, is pretty standard.

It's basically showing how it's relatively straight forward to get big name actors involved in your game in a really impressive way without spending $10 million dollars on it.

Get this, I imagine that David Braben didn't personally direct these actors about how they should be doing the voices or write the script himself. I imagine they probably got professionals in to do these things instead of letting it be a vanity project for the guy calling the shots.

loving ground breaking.

You're stretching it a bit.
Frontier didn't hire the third party.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Making PC gaming great again. I cannot personally feel immersed unless I spend no fewer than five hours loving with audio drivers. Modern PC gamers don't understand the fidelity of the experience of spending days figuring out SoundBlaster 16. Once again, Christ Roberts shows his visionary status for saving PC gaming by returning to our lost traditions and roots.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Not sure letting CIG anywhere near the driver level of an OS is a good idea.
They will edit all error messages to read "Sandi is a great actress"

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Decrepus posted:

The Furtive Goonie, so easily forgotten.

The replies to that post are more entertaining than the post itself.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fuuuuuuuuuuuck :negative:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I kinda do hope they go full idiot here and try to do custom hardware drivers. Not only are they guaranteed to gently caress things up, it's a whole new realm of things to break.

Would Steam allow a game on it that requires custom drivers? I would think not.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They will be thinking of ASIO to get the input latency down for Chris' new revolutionary voice QTE system

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Yes he's talking about ASIO drivers, but even with standard onboard sound chipsets like AC97 and realtek stuff ASIO drivers can actually get your latency down. When you do it this way ASIO runs in systray, and you can adjust buffers and some other things I can't remember.

It's almost unbelievable that they're asking people this.

For mass market chip-sets like AC97 and RealTek the performance gain is going to minimal if noticeable in a game engine at all. Not to mention they have to completely re-write the audio system of the CryEngine. I can see them doing just that, given their track record so far.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
guys is this normal

even for CIG

is this normal

this is clearly demonstrable incompetency

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Not sure letting CIG anywhere near the driver level of an OS is a good idea.
They will edit all error messages to read "Sandi is a great actress"

How else are they going to be able to pull that “Thank you for playing Wing Commander.” trick again?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Risc1911 posted:

For mass market chip-sets like AC97 and RealTek the performance gain is going to minimal if noticeable in a game engine at all. Not to mention they have to completely re-write the audio system of the CryEngine. I can see them doing just that, given their track record so far.

Actually the only reason I ever needed this was for recording latency, soundblaster era. So what the gently caress.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:anime: What if *waves arms around* instead of pressing buttons *waves hands around* to to QTE we had people *waves arms around* shout in distress *farts* instead and stuff uhhm ahh their call signs you know 'OK THIS IS OSCAR LIMA OPENING A DOOR' *shits self*

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Shout F to pay respects

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, just noticed I've fallen almost 30 pages behind, again.

Lord why have you forsaken me?! :negative:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Risc1911 posted:

WOW! They threw away the Illfonic sound design, which was incredible and recorded it again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&feature=youtu.be&t=3275

"We recorded a brand new set of sounds."

No you fuckin' wankers took a microphone and placed it into the corner of some interns office then recorded rustling backpacks and Sandi's martial arts equipment.

Here is the original sound design Video: https://vimeo.com/138360203
Seriously, i am disappointed, i was expecting fidelity!

I think its the exact same thing, they are just trying to claim its new. Check out the equipment used for both (backpack and such), its the same in both videos.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There is no :laffo: big enough for the idea of them requiring ASIO. Are they going to bundle asio4all and have a 200 page sticky on how to get it working with your razer sound card? I am erect.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

peter gabriel posted:

Shout F to pay respects

Fffffffffffffffffffu

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

peter gabriel posted:

They will be thinking of ASIO to get the input latency down for Chris' new revolutionary voice QTE system
lightsaber on

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

boethius posted:

Fffffffffffffffffffu

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6499045/#Comment_6499045

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait until there are long drawn out animations for flying

like do you want to switch flight modes? queue immersion animations where you press a bunch of buttons and are locked into performing the actions

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Eonwe posted:

I can't wait until there are long drawn out animations for flying

like do you want to switch flight modes? queue immersion animations where you press a bunch of buttons and are locked into performing the actions

Toops pay attention to this!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I will give credit to CIG for one thing:

No other game in history has ever been marketed so perfectly to the unemployed agarophic autistic socially challenged gamer nerd whale receiving disability checks.

Despite all of her (numerous!) faults, Sandi may in fact be a marketing genius.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6496779/#Comment_6496779

"As a US Marine with several combat tours, I can tell you from first hand experience that military gear does not rattle that much. If it does, we tape it up with electrical tape so that it does not. The metallic rattling in the preview video was very excessive and needs to be scaled back quite a bit.

here are a few videos I pulled up on youtube that show some common sounds."

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

MeLKoR posted:

poo poo, just noticed I've fallen almost 30 pages behind, again.

Lord why have you forsaken me?! :negative:

I got you something.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

4% done and already blows AAA games away with its quality.

Between that comment and custom audio drivers, this day is starting of with a bang of complete lunacy.

I hope to hell they try to push 2.3 out the door today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

you know i never thought i'd see something as dumb as george broussard asking on their forums what weapons that the fans would like to see in duke nukem forever despite being several years into development hell

but here we are

• Locked thread