Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rendevouspoo
Jan 23, 2016
Any of you listen to Cody Jinks? Noticed he was on tour with Whitey Morgan so I decided to check him. He's pretty drat good. He's Texas Country but it doesn't have their specific sound imo.

Some high points of the Adobe Sessions album.

Cast No Stones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZK-yCaTzUA

David:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugDklGpaigk

Ready for Times to Get Better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOge7XQjT4o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
This is probably the appropriate thread to talk about bluegrass, but went to a Della Mae concert last week and oh man, it was fantastic. I was talked into trying to snag a ticket for Grey Fox by some cool people I met there.

Anyone ever been out to the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

invision posted:

Also got to witness Turnpike Troubadours show last night... Evan Felker couldn't remember the words to his songs or play his instruments. Dude was *out* of it, bad. :(

Too bad, I went to a concert of their's a few months ago that was pretty good.

Apparently this is a thing.

American Aquarium (guys who know a thing or two about booze) apparently tweeted "It's official. "Evan Felker Steamboat Wasted" has replaced "Myrtle Beach Wasted" in my vocabulary." last year.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 31, 2016

rendevouspoo
Jan 23, 2016
I hope Evan doesn't continue this as they are by far my favorite group in country. Dude has a crazy talent for writing songs. Hope he gets better.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I saw Jason Isbell last night at the Peabody in St. Louis. I'm still coming down from it this morning. Just an incredible show. I've seen him before and while it was very good, his command of the stage/material was something else last night. The way he effortlessly slides from rock guitar virtuoso to comedian/storyteller to intimate singer/songwriter is almost incomprehensible.

My wife, who notoriously doesn't like concerts and had really only heard Isbell in passing in the car when I listen to him, was completely floored as well.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Because country isn't really my main thing, I only recently discovered Jerry Reed and I'm addicted. I don't even know how I came across him, maybe GTA V, but I started looking around and found this great version he does of "Halleluljah I Love Her So":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92jNtakMDZo

The piano-inspired style he plays is great. He also looks like playing guitar is a genuinely joyful experience, which is also fantastic. I bought "Nashville Underground" and can't stop listening to it; granted, it's a bit more on the pop side, but I love it when he does that funky syncopated stuff like on "Fine On My Mind" and "Tupelo Mississippi Flash." I also picked up "Jerry Reed Explores Guitar Country" (which was excellent) and Chet Atkins' "Me and Jerry." Are there any records where it's just him and a nylon-stringed guitar?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Saw Jason Isbell at his second night at the Beacon. Easily one of the top experiences I've ever had.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

nm posted:

Too bad, I went to a concert of their's a few months ago that was pretty good.

Apparently this is a thing.

American Aquarium (guys who know a thing or two about booze) apparently tweeted "It's official. "Evan Felker Steamboat Wasted" has replaced "Myrtle Beach Wasted" in my vocabulary." last year.

Some buddies of mine that were also at the turnpike show at steamboat flew into town last week.

First thing they said was "dude, we're trying to get evan felker wasted!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I saw Jason Isbell in Toronto tonight.

God. drat.

The venue was excellent (Danforth Music Hall) and Jason and the 4400 put on the best show I've seen in over 25 years.

He closed with Children of Children and it was loving incredible.

Shovels and Rope opened and while I don't know many of their songs, it's pretty loving impressive that two people can play so multiple instruments at once and have such a great sound.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sturgill Simpson just released a track off his forthcoming new album. It sounds like what would happen if Pink Floyd did Outlaw Country and its loving awesome!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm really happy I got to see Sturgill in a small venue before he blew up, he's really going places. When I saw him in Chicago last time, it was in a ~700 capacity club. A year and a half later he's playing a 2,500 capacity theater.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm really happy I got to see Sturgill in a small venue before he blew up, he's really going places. When I saw him in Chicago last time, it was in a ~700 capacity club. A year and a half later he's playing a 2,500 capacity theater.

Same here in Knoxville. Last year it was the Bijou (700 seats), and he just announced he is at the Tennessee Theatre here in May (1600+).

That new song is really good.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Jason continues to be pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7oRZI0b44c

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Came here to post that.
You may know me from music.
10,000 dead family dogs.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
In that vein,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCyYuLQ7_Ws

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I need some recommendations of good dark banjo music. Something similar to David Eugene Edwards.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDYfkymaSE

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I need some recommendations of good dark banjo music. Something similar to David Eugene Edwards.

I don't know Edwards, but here is the awesome William Elliott Whitmore doing "Diggin' My Grave":
http://youtu.be/nECtWsah2po

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks. I'm familiar with him but don't really get excited about him. I think I'm looking for something with a little more instrumental focus. Really not sure though. Maybe I should just make a playlist of all the banjo heavy 16 Horsepower and Wovenhand songs.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Terrible. I stopped it about 3/4 through. I won't be listening to that again if I can help it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

Terrible. I stopped it about 3/4 through. I won't be listening to that again if I can help it.

Video: neat? Song: hilarious.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I love Sturgill but yeah....i guess that cover isn't my cup of tea.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think I've ever heard him before, but that is one generic "country singer" voice. Sounds like the parody country song from Team America.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BigFactory posted:

I don't think I've ever heard him before, but that is one generic "country singer" voice. Sounds like the parody country song from Team America.

Sturgill is pretty amazing most of the time (surprised you never heard of him, because he has taken off in the non pop-country world). That said the cover is blah. Turtles All the Way Down, Brace for Impact, You Can Have the Crown, and Sugar Daddy are a good place to start to see if you would like him. That said I love his voice. Maybe because it reminds of a time when country music was actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

BigFactory posted:

that is one generic "country singer" voice.
You may be confusing "generic" with "definitive." His voice is basically Waylon Jennings II, and I mean that as something incredibly positive.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I like the cover. I feel like people just hold up Nirvana so much that no matter how it sounded people would poo poo on it.

Sturgill's cover of The Promise is way better though

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

I like the cover. I feel like people just hold up Nirvana so much that no matter how it sounded people would poo poo on it.

Sturgill's cover of The Promise is way better though

I don't hold Nirvana on any pedestal and I was prime age (15) when Nevermind came out. It's just not a good cover song, that's all. It could have been great but it's not. It's certainly a bad single to release in my opinion.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

RIP Merle

http://tasteofcountry.com/merle-haggard-dead/

I was lucky enough to see him in concert 2 or 3 years ago. His voice was a little rough out of the gate but it was an amazing show.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
79's a pretty good life for a guy with some hard miles. I saw him back in 2004 with Dylan. Real good. He was a pro.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I caught him at Billy Bob's Texas back in 2000, 2001 maybe? Phenomenal.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
NPR is streaming A Sailor's Guide to Earth.

So far so good. The Nirvana cover isn't my favorite, but in the context of the album it sounds better.

Also, Sturgill was a guest on the Joe Rogan podcast a couple days ago. The Joe Rogan podcast apparently consists entirely of Rogan talking non-stop to the guest about things completely unrelated to them and showing them youtube videos of animals fighting. Can't say I found it to be a good use of my time.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've been watching the movie a lot lately, and I think the Heartworn Highways soundtrack might be the best track-for-track country album of all time.

I mean look at this song list

L.A. Free - Guy Clark
Ohoopee River Bottomland - Larry Jon Wilson
That Old Time Feeling - Guy Clark
Waiting Around To Die - Townes Van Zandt
I Still Sing The Old Songs - David Allan Coe
Desperadoes Waiting For A Train - Guy Clark
Bluebird Wine - Rodney Crowell
Alabama Highway - Steve Young
Pancho And Lefty - Townes Van Zandt
Texas Cookin' - Guy Clark
The Black Label Blues - Gamble Rogers
River - David Allan Coe
One For The One - John Hiatt
Darlin' Commit Me - Steve Earle
Ballard Of Lavern & Captain Flint - Guy Clark
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Steve Young & Friends
The Mercenary Song - Steve Earle & Friends
Elijah's Church - Steve Earle & Friends
Silent Night - Full Group

Most of the versions of the songs on the soundtrack are better than their respective album cuts, to boot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So far so good. The Nirvana cover isn't my favorite, but in the context of the album it sounds better.

Also, Sturgill was a guest on the Joe Rogan podcast a couple days ago. The Joe Rogan podcast apparently consists entirely of Rogan talking non-stop to the guest about things completely unrelated to them and showing them youtube videos of animals fighting. Can't say I found it to be a good use of my time.

I am listening to it right now (bow hunting). I wish he would quit asking a question, only to interrupt the answer. Also Sturgill did a podcast with Rogan last year, that so far is better than this one.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Hmm. Pretty indifferent to the front half but I really like the last couple tunes.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
"Get high/play a little Goldeneye/on that ol' 64" is the foundation for a new American poetry.

The last track is a sizzler, there are dashes of elegant moments throughout, the lyrics mostly leave me wanting more. They sound very personal, but they don't really seem to transcend the mundanity of most personal thoughts/feelings. The emphasis on horn arrangements strikes me as very adventurous musically, but I'm not sure that Sturgill is best suited to that kind of production.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I've been watching the movie a lot lately, and I think the Heartworn Highways soundtrack might be the best track-for-track country album of all time.

I mean look at this song list

L.A. Free - Guy Clark
Ohoopee River Bottomland - Larry Jon Wilson
That Old Time Feeling - Guy Clark
Waiting Around To Die - Townes Van Zandt
I Still Sing The Old Songs - David Allan Coe
Desperadoes Waiting For A Train - Guy Clark
Bluebird Wine - Rodney Crowell
Alabama Highway - Steve Young
Pancho And Lefty - Townes Van Zandt
Texas Cookin' - Guy Clark
The Black Label Blues - Gamble Rogers
River - David Allan Coe
One For The One - John Hiatt
Darlin' Commit Me - Steve Earle
Ballard Of Lavern & Captain Flint - Guy Clark
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Steve Young & Friends
The Mercenary Song - Steve Earle & Friends
Elijah's Church - Steve Earle & Friends
Silent Night - Full Group

Most of the versions of the songs on the soundtrack are better than their respective album cuts, to boot.

It's certainly a great album. I'll never understand why Rodney Crowell has never released a version of Bluebird Wine. His version is vastly superior to Emmylou Harris's version. This reminds me that hearing The Eagles' version of Seven Bridges Road made me look up Steve Young to see what he was up to. He'd died the week before :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just discovered Brett Detar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E74yqtoqmU

The whole Bird in the Tangle album is quite good.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 7, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bought my tickets to Corb Lund's Down From The Mountain Festival in Eureka, MT August 15.

It's like 550 miles away so that's a good excuse to load up the camping gear, get on the motorcycle, and burn some gas and oil.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

Bought my tickets to Corb Lund's Down From The Mountain Festival in Eureka, MT August 15.

It's like 550 miles away so that's a good excuse to load up the camping gear, get on the motorcycle, and burn some gas and oil.

That is awesome.

I just got tickets for the Corb Lund show at a little bitty honky tonk just outside of my town in June. It's the ultimate venue for him. Just a little seedy, but safe, always full of hippies and cowboys and dogs. Capacity for maybe 75 people. Last time I saw him there, they had to take out tables to make room for people. No stage, just a corner. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Caught him in Seattle at a similar venue. They killed it. You'll have fun.

The Eureka gig is in an old horse arena, got pretty dusty in there last year.